Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Good man.
The mention of Bezels seems to strike a nerve in this thread.

It's kinda funny. For the last 6 months or so we were repeatedly told any phone that didn't include wireless charging, a headphone jack, and Bezel-less design shouldn't cost a premium.

Things change.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I went to my local Verizon Store today and they had two 2XL’s but both were dead. The employees said they both needed a new safety/charging harness to work appropriately. Why is this a problem everywhere?
I went to the local VZW store by my house...they know me there from switching so many phones over the years. They let me hold the 2XL as it was at 20% battery life after I asked them why it wasn't charging. Thye said the same thing you said. They have a new security wiring harness for the 2XL and it hasn't come in yet.

I loved how this phone feels in the hand. What a perfect blend of hardware and software. The back doesn't feel cheap at all to me. I love the FPS....it is just so intuitive having it on the back.

The 2XL will replace the Note 8 and V30 for me....can't wait to get mine next week!

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Just to add to my mini review from looking at the pixels this morning at Verizon, the smaller pixel is a joke. I mean seriously, Google isn't really releasing this are they? I can't help but keep thinking it's just a big joke from Google and the phone will crack open, revealing the real pixel underneath. The bezels on it would have been big in 2011, much less 2017, and they have the cojones to charge a premium for it.

If you go back a few pages and read my early impressions of the Pixel 2, I echo similar frustrations. The phone felt dated the moment I picked it up.

And the Pixel 2 XL, I'm really not sure what happened here; it's simply a poor excuse for a bezel-less, edge-to-edge phone. As if this was some first-generation attempt at bezel-less screen design from years ago, except it's 2017 and is being released as the high-end flagship option.

I'm not here to simply hate on bezels. I genuinely think Google stumbled on the design of both Pixel 2 models. They look odd and feel cheap. Both models have questionable design decisions that should challenge the worth of their premium prices.

It looks like the premium price is purely about software and updates. Google hardware doesn't appear to be ready for prime time.

Personally I love the look of the smaller Pixel 2. Ive always wished I could have the iPhone 5/5s/SE design in a larger screen. That is what the Pixel 2 looks like. Coming from an SE currently I like the design and do not like phones without bezels. So FWIW I enjoy the new phones.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Personally I love the look of the smaller Pixel 2. Ive always wished I could have the iPhone 5/5s/SE design in a larger screen. That is what the Pixel 2 looks like. Coming from an SE currently I like the design and do not like phones without bezels. So FWIW I enjoy the new phones.

That's all good, it's nice to have choice and variety!!

Reactions: 5105973

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I went to my local Verizon Store today and they had two 2XL’s but both were dead. The employees said they both needed a new safety/charging harness to work appropriately. Why is this a problem everywhere?

Because they are lazy and or don't care and want to sell you something else like an iPhone or something.

*Tinfoil hat*

I wonder if the carriers get some sort of kick back from pushing certain drvices. Wouldn't surprise me...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I went to the local VZW store by my house...they know me there from switching so many phones over the years. They let me hold the 2XL as it was at 20% battery life after I asked them why it wasn't charging. Thye said the same thing you said. They have a new security wiring harness for the 2XL and it hasn't come in yet.

I loved how this phone feels in the hand. What a perfect blend of hardware and software. The back doesn't feel cheap at all to me. I love the FPS....it is just so intuitive having it on the back.

The 2XL will replace the Note 8 and V30 for me....can't wait to get mine next week!

Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice phone, and has the innards to compete with any flagship. You also get the newest OS and newest software updates. The camera seems like it's 2nd to none so far this year. So I didn't mean to make the phone sound like a complete POS, it's far from that. I guess I've just become pickier where I want to spend almost $1k on. I'll be the first to admit that aesthetics play a BIG factor in my decision, and I will gladly give up internal features such as SOC speed and such for better aesthetics. But for nearly $1k I don't feel like I should give up anything at all. I just don't get it, with the v30 as a possible template LG and Google still managed to make a phone with a very clunky design. FYI just to disclose, part of my decision is also because I want to stay with my AW.

It seems like everything is a compromise this year, sigh. The XL2 has those horrible looking bezels. The Note 8 has those curved edges and is too tall. The iPhone X is too narrow, has that idiotic notch and doesn't have a plus size. The v30 still seems like the best decision, but I'm not thrilled about LG's slow software updates. I almost feel like I'm forcing myself to upgrade instead of just sticking with my 7+.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
You know it's funny with the people on here who seem to buy a new phone every other week, who cares how good the phone is? If you go from a Note 8, to a V30, and then a Pixel 2, chances are you're gonna get the S9 no matter how good the Pixel is, and then you'll be all over the Note 9 before the process repeats itself. You'll always be chasing that perfect phone that never comes.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You know it's funny with the people on here who seem to buy a new phone every other week, who cares how good the phone is? If you go from a Note 8, to a V30, and then a Pixel 2, chances are you're gonna get the S9 no matter how good the Pixel is, and then you'll be all over the Note 9 before the process repeats itself. You'll always be chasing that perfect phone that never comes.
Not true always true....... I won't get the S9 if it has the FPS in the same location as the s8 and N8....it was a horrible decision to put it next to the camera by Samsung. One of the dumbest moves they could have done. I mean who tested that decision? I have the 8 Plus but won't get the iPhone X unless it is to flip it for easy cash.

I like the 2XL over last years model for pure aesthetics...bigger display in the same size footprint with the best camera around. Last years Pixel wasn't exactly a thing of beauty but turned out to provide the best Android experience around.

Reactions: deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I wish all of you would just PLEASE cancel your orders.......maybe mine will ship faster! :eek:
Lol!

My husband never canceled the black Pixel 2XL he ordered so I think we see that one in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately my Panda is not scheduled to arrive until the end of November.

I liked how the Pixel 2s, both large and small looked and feel. I wasn’t a fan of the look and feel of the first generation, but I like the changes they’ve made for generation 2. I like that they are giving good trade in values for first generation Pixel owners. I mad planned to hang on to this purchase for two to three years but now think of they stay with fingerprint scanning but upgrade to a dual lens model if they offer it next year. That’s the only feature I feel is missing. They say it’s not needed to do portrait photography and it isn’t, but I will miss the zoom.

Reactions: jamezr

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
To those who have held the phone in their hands, does the coating they have over the aluminum feel like something that could wear down over time, and look bad? And for the white version could it stain?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m not sure that’s exactly what I’m doing. I am keeping my 7 Plus because I’ve decided it offers me all I’m looking for on the iOS side of things. The audio quality for video recording was the one thing I was really waiting for Apple to update and they did not, so there is no point in upgrading this year. I do think wireless charging is great and I did also want that feature but not enough to trade in my 7 Plus. Even with all that the iPhone X is offering I don’t feel compelled to upgrade at this point.

I decided to stay with my S8+ because it’s just fine and the Note 8 isn’t going to fix any of the issues I don’t like about my S8’s+.

I want to try pure Android and so I shall try a Pixel this year. If I like it, then that will be the upgrade path I’ll look to stay on for Android phones. I’ll always keep an eye on what Samsung is doing, but I am really hoping the Pixel works out for me.
[doublepost=1508184448][/doublepost]
To those who have held the phone in their hands, does the coating they have over the aluminum feel like something that could wear down over time, and look bad? And for the white version could it stain?
Honestly I could barely feel it. It felt like an iPhone to me. I was aware of the comments journalists had made about it so I made an effort to check it out but it just felt like aluminum to me, but very light compared to my 7 Plus. I didn’t see the white version. Just a black 2XL and a Sorta Blue Pixel 2 and another black one. I don’t think the Sorta Blue will stain but all of them could get nicked like an IPhone could.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Unlocked Black XL2 still has a ship date of 10/29, so either Google stepped up and manufactured plenty of them, or they are not selling well. Last year the wait was months and months.

Reactions: deany and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
All you moaning Americans being impatient need to shhhh.
We have a month in the UK yet before the XL 2 hits! :p
Well I do, too, for the Panda! Though if the reviews are really good on battery life for the regular sized Pixel 2, I might cancel the Panda and go for the smaller Pixel to get a truly flat display. I like the front glass as flat as I can get it so that it’s easier to find a good screen protector. I do want the higher dpi for Daydream View but because I already have VR on my Samsungs I might be willing to sacrifice the DV aspect.

Reactions: Aneres11

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Unlocked Black XL2 still has a ship date of 10/29, so either Google stepped up and manufactured plenty of them, or they are not selling well. Last year the wait was months and months.

If I had to bet, I'd bet they made more this time around. I think lack of availability was the single biggest complaint with last year's Pixel. Google may have left a good amount of money on the table, and they don't want to make the same mistake.

I've long argued, along with many others, that they're not interested in the hardware side of things. The most recent event would seem to indicate that is no longer true. If so, then it would make sense that they came to play this time by generating stock.

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
Not true always true....... I won't get the S9 if it has the FPS in the same location as the s8 and N8....it was a horrible decision to put it next to the camera by Samsung. One of the dumbest moves they could have done. I mean who tested that decision? I have the 8 Plus but won't get the iPhone X unless it is to flip it for easy cash.

I like the 2XL over last years model for pure aesthetics...bigger display in the same size footprint with the best camera around. Last years Pixel wasn't exactly a thing of beauty but turned out to provide the best Android experience around.
I'm one of the happy people who never had any problem with the fingerprint sensor on the s8, s8+ and note 8. I hold it always in 2 handed mode in my left hand and it's immediately unlocked. It's Even easier as my iPhone because I must not stretch my thumb for the FPS.

I also use it all the time in the Alcantara Cover this helps of course.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm one of the happy people who never had any problem with the fingerprint sensor on the s8, s8+ and note 8. I hold it always in 2 handed mode in my left hand and it's immediately unlocked. It's Even easier as my iPhone because I must not stretch my thumb for the FPS.

I also use it all the time in the Alcantara Cover this helps of course.
Its just poor design to be honest......why sneak it up next to the camera? Why not in the middle?
The Iris scanning works extremely well but the FPS is just poor design on the S8 and N8. I won't get the S9 if the FPS is in the same location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.