Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Its just poor design to be honest......why sneak it up next to the camera? Why not in the middle?
The Iris scanning works extremely well but the FPS is just poor design on the S8 and N8. I won't get the S9 if the FPS is in the same location.

Well it was no secret that they wanted to get the fps under the screen but they couldn't get it to work properly. My guess is the phone wasn't built to have the fps in the middle of the back like other phones so they had to scramble and put it in the next place they could make it work. I agree it's a horrible spot and probably won't buy a phone with it in that location.

Knowing Samsung though they'll copy the iPhone X and ditch the fps altogether on the S9 and go with the face unlock.

Reactions: deany

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Not true always true....... I won't get the S9 if it has the FPS in the same location as the s8 and N8....it was a horrible decision to put it next to the camera by Samsung. One of the dumbest moves they could have done. I mean who tested that decision? I have the 8 Plus but won't get the iPhone X unless it is to flip it for easy cash.

I like the 2XL over last years model for pure aesthetics...bigger display in the same size footprint with the best camera around. Last years Pixel wasn't exactly a thing of beauty but turned out to provide the best Android experience around.

I'm not sure why some think it's horrible. My left index finger goes straight to the fingerprint reader on the note 8 naturally. Maybe my hands were blessed for the Note 8.......it's such a fast fingerprint reader and I have no complaints on it.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not sure why some think it's horrible. My left index finger goes straight to the fingerprint reader on the note 8 naturally. Maybe my hands were blessed for the Note 8.......it's such a fast fingerprint reader and I have no complaints on it.
It was out of reach for my smaller hands on the Note 8. My biggest issue is headphone jack, bezel and weight.

Reactions: 5105973

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
After reading complaints about the color and lack of saturation on the screen of the Pixel 2 XL, my OCD kicked in and I stopped by the Verizon store on the way home from work. I got to try a Pixel 2 XL out of the box -- brand spanking new -- since they hadn't yet put them out on display. So to dismiss any speculation that demo mode causes the washed out colors -- the unit I tried was not on demo mode.

I regret to say that the display of the 2XL does leave something to be desired. My Nexus 6P has, in my opinion, a killer AMOLED panel, and upon first booting up the Pixel 2 XL, I noticed that the colors on screen didn't pop like they do on my device. For example, when visiting MacRumors, the red apple in the MacRumors logo was more of a burgundy than the standard red I see on my Nexus. Likewise, the colorful Google logo on Google Now seemed much more subdued than it does on my device. There also seemed to be a lower amount of contrast on the 2XL.

The Vivid Colors option was on by default. I didn't find toggling that setting on/off to make much of a difference, if any.

It's not like the screen just sucks, it's moreso that the color profile is incredibly flat. For the photographers and videographers out there -- you know what photos look like in RAW format? Likewise, do you know what videos look like in Log format? That's what I'd liken the Pixel 2 XL display to. Low contrast, flat colors.

After viewing the device, I took a look at the Note 8 which had a noticably more vibrant, if not over saturated, screen. And then I took a look at the V30. Holy moly what a nice phone. Here's the kicker -- are you ready for this -- I felt that the colors looked nicer on the V30 than they did on the Pixel 2 XL. Can't comment on the color uniformity as I didn't spend much time with the V30.

I'm just not totally convinced the Pixel 2 XL was allowed out the door with that screen. There has to be more to the story. Perhaps my devices' screen is just overly saturated. Perhaps there is a problem with the early review units. Perhaps this can be fixed with a color profile update. I don't know. But rumor has it that the review embargo lifts tomorrow morning, and I feel that we will begin to get a better idea of what's going on when those reviews go out. And only a couple of days after that, units will start arriving in users' hands which will paint an even better story. To be determined.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
After reading complaints about the color and lack of saturation on the screen of the Pixel 2 XL, my OCD kicked in and I stopped by the Verizon store on the way home from work. I got to try a Pixel 2 XL out of the box -- brand spanking new -- since they hadn't yet put them out on display. So to dismiss any speculation that demo mode causes the washed out colors -- the unit I tried was not on demo mode.

I regret to say that the display of the 2XL does leave something to be desired. My Nexus 6P has, in my opinion, a killer AMOLED panel, and upon first booting up the Pixel 2 XL, I noticed that the colors on screen didn't pop like they do on my device. For example, when visiting MacRumors, the red apple in the MacRumors logo was more of a burgundy than the standard red I see on my Nexus. Likewise, the colorful Google logo on Google Now seemed much more subdued than it does on my device. There also seemed to be a lower amount of contrast on the 2XL.

The Vivid Colors option was on by default. I didn't find toggling that setting on/off to make much of a difference, if any.

It's not like the screen just sucks, it's moreso that the color profile is incredibly flat. For the photographers and videographers out there -- you know what photos look like in RAW format? Likewise, do you know what videos look like in Log format? That's what I'd liken the Pixel 2 XL display to. Low contrast, flat colors.

After viewing the device, I took a look at the Note 8 which had a noticably more vibrant, if not over saturated, screen. And then I took a look at the V30. Holy moly what a nice phone. Here's the kicker -- are you ready for this -- I felt that the colors looked nicer on the V30 than they did on the Pixel 2 XL. Can't comment on the color uniformity as I didn't spend much time with the V30.

I'm just not totally convinced the Pixel 2 XL was allowed out the door with that screen. There has to be more to the story. Perhaps my devices' screen is just overly saturated. Perhaps there is a problem with the early review units. Perhaps this can be fixed with a color profile update. I don't know. But rumor has it that the review embargo lifts tomorrow morning, and I feel that we will begin to get a better idea of what's going on when those reviews go out. And only a couple of days after that, units will start arriving in users' hands which will paint an even better story. To be determined.

Great write up.

I wonder though, if comparing any screen to the Note isn't a lost cause. Are we making good the enemy of perfect?

Reactions: 5105973 and v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Great write up.

I wonder though, if comparing any screen to the Note isn't a lost cause. Are we making good the enemy of perfect?
Thank you.

Great point. Any screen compared to the Note is going to come up short. That's why I specifically tried to gague how the Pixel 2 XL stacked up to my two year old device, as well as the V30. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to hold the Pixel 2 XL and the V30 up side by side as they were on opposite sides of the store.

I also wish I had compared the Pixel 2 XL to the OG Pixels sitting nearby. D'oh! Missed opportunity.

Looking forward to the reviews tomorrow. I'm rooting for this phone. I also have a pre-order which may explain some of the concern. :p

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I find it interesting that people are referring to the 2 XL screen as lacking saturation. My primary concern after seeing it in person is how it is too saturated. I want sRGB on any device I use. Running at the default setting on a Samsung phone -- the adaptive display -- looks horrible. I keep my S8 on the 'Basic' mode and can't stand any of the other settings.

Do you use sRGB mode on the Nexus 6P? Because I find the Nexus 6P to be way too saturated by default.

I'd assume the 2 XL has the sRGB option hidden in developer settings as well, but I wasn't able to test that.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I find it interesting that people are referring to the 2 XL screen as lacking saturation. My primary concern after seeing it in person is how it is too saturated. I want sRGB on any device I use. Running at the default setting on a Samsung phone -- the adaptive display -- looks horrible. I keep my S8 on the 'Basic' mode and can't stand any of the other settings.

Do you use sRGB mode on the Nexus 6P? Because I find the Nexus 6P to be way too saturated by default.

I'd assume the 2 XL has the sRGB option hidden in developer settings as well, but I wasn't able to test that.

Adaptive display on the Note 8 looks gorgeous to most people's eyes but yours. If you didn't like the display, the Note at least allows you to change it to more accurate options. In basic mode and photo mode, its one of the most accurate displays on a mobile device period. I personally prefer adaptive, its just gorgeous unless I'm watching certain videos or movies that may require the cinema mode which looks similar to my old ipad pro display when placed in that mode.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

After reading your post, I switched my Nexus 6P to sRGB and can confirm that this is similar to what I saw on the Pixel 2 XL panel. Perhaps the setting is on by default on Pixel 2 devices? Not sure. I didn't check.

I quite like the saturated look of other phones (including my 6P) to be honest. To each their own. If I used the Pixel 2 as my daily driver I'd probably stop noticing the lower saturation very quickly, however. That's the way these things tend to go.

I do hope that Google will make a more saturated color profile default on the Pixel 2 phones. For your average Joe, or even techies like myself, colorful screens like you see on Samsung devices have a much bigger wow factor.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Adaptive display on the Note 8 looks gorgeous to most people's eyes but yours. If you didn't like the display, the Note at least allows you to change it to more accurate options. In basic mode and photo mode, its one of the most accurate displays on a mobile device period. I personally prefer adaptive, its just gorgeous unless I'm watching certain videos or movies that may require the cinema mode which looks similar to my old ipad pro display when placed in that mode.

Well, I know everyone has different preferences. I just switched back to adaptive display on my S8 -- for the first time since buying it -- and still find it shocking.

As a web designer I have always been keen on keeping displays calibrated to sRGB. It would be different if apps were actually making use of the extended color space, but besides of HDR video I'm not aware of any apps that are actually made using anything other than sRGB color space.

So all that happens in other display modes is sRGB colors are exaggerated and no longer appear as they were created by the app or web designer.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Well, I know everyone has different preferences. I just switched back to adaptive display on my S8 -- for the first time since buying it -- and still find it shocking.

As a web designer I have always been keen on keeping displays calibrated to sRGB. It would be different if apps were actually making use of the extended color space, but besides of HDR video I'm not aware of any apps that are actually made using anything other than sRGB color space.

So all that happens in other display modes is sRGB colors are exaggerated and no longer appear as they were created by the app or web designer.

Still web designers and developers often fail to color manage their websites. Most just place it into sRGB mode and at least Samsungs adaptive mode allows the washed out look to go away even if some people think it looks artificial. You can have all the color management in the world but its up to website managers/developers to use those color management tools effectively.

And the Note 8 doesnt exaggerate its sRGB colors and spectrum, its actually spot on in certain modes and there is proof of it. In the past, it wasn't this way but Samsung's displays are highly more advanced than any mobile display out there.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note8_ShootOut_100.htm

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm one of the happy people who never had any problem with the fingerprint sensor on the s8, s8+ and note 8. I hold it always in 2 handed mode in my left hand and it's immediately unlocked. It's Even easier as my iPhone because I must not stretch my thumb for the FPS.

I also use it all the time in the Alcantara Cover this helps of course.
Mine seems to not work at all anymore. It worked great for a few months or so but then it stopped despite my registering my print multiple times for different profiles. I’m not sure what happened but I didn’t mind the location when back when it was working. I used Samsung cases and they sort of naturally guided my finger where it needed to be.

Fortunately I don’t mind using my passcode.

The Note 8 was a bit harder for me to manage when I tried it in the store. I was surprised because it didn’t look much bigger than my S8+ but it was a bigger stretch to the sensor for my fingers.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Further proof that we all have very different preferences when it comes to displays and their saturation/contrast/color temp/etc. I have a 6P as well and on its default settings find the display very underwhelming. Compared to my 7+, both on max brightness, the display is noticeably dimmer with less vibrant colors. When I had the Pixel XL last year, the 6P was easily the worst display amongst the 3 devices. So if you find the 2 XL worse than the 6P, I’ll most certainly pass on a preorder. :(

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I think we are in a club of two. I can’t stand boosted saturation. I used to design custom content for the game modding community. I was a stickler for accurate color calibration because I needed my creations to work with the custom content of other artists and so we all had to adhere to a standard. I want things on my displays to look like they would if I were at the scene looking at it all with my own eyes. It sometimes drives me nuts that subtle tint on my glasses change what I see from what other people are seeing.

Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
C'mon.....just because you can reach it doesn't mean it was a good design. Its a horrible placement right next to the camera. You gotta admit that...even if you like the N8. I have had the S8+ and S8 and N8 and will not suffer through another FPS in that location. The best FPS is round and either on front or on the back in middle. Samsung is the only OEM to have an oblong FPS nested right up to the camera. All others that put it on the back move it to the middle. Its more ergonomically sound. You don't have adjust the phone in your hand at all to reach it in the middle.
Sorry for the rant.....

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Further proof that we all have very different preferences when it comes to displays and their saturation/contrast/color temp/etc. I have a 6P as well and on its default settings find the display very underwhelming. Compared to my 7+, both on max brightness, the display is noticeably dimmer with less vibrant colors. When I had the Pixel XL last year, the 6P was easily the worst display amongst the 3 devices. So if you find the 2 XL worse than the 6P, I’ll most certainly pass on a preorder. :(
Are you sure we are both talking about the Nexus 6P? :p I couldn't imagine a display much better than this one. Hm. Granted my last phone was an iPhone 5, so.

Something that I've been pondering is whether Apple will fully embrace the "Samsung saturation" since they are using Samsung panels on the iPhone X. Some previous posters said that Apple has typically targeted color accuracy rather than color saturation.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Are you sure we are both talking about the Nexus 6P? :p I couldn't imagine a display much better than this one. Hm. Granted my last phone was an iPhone 5, so.

Something that I've been pondering is whether Apple will fully embrace the "Samsung saturation" since they are using Samsung panels on the iPhone X. Some previous posters said that Apple has typically targeted color accuracy rather than color saturation.
I have noticed on my 8 Plus the saturation in the camera. Apple used to have a very color accurate camera app. They seemed to have followed Samsung in a little over saturation.
2ee30f9afe9d13e96054867185582d24.heic

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, just had em side by side for comparison. I’d have uploaded a photo but, they’re the only 2 readily accessible cameras I have available. :D The color temp is warmer on the iPhone but the 6P is just dull by comparison. I found the OLED panel on the Pixel XL to be much nicer—more vibrant and noticeably brighter.

Again, different strokes... But if you found the 6P to be better, very easy confirmation for me to hold off on 2 XL until I can see one in person.

Reactions: v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I have noticed on my 8 Plus the saturation in the camera. Apple used to have a very color accurate camera app. They seemed to have followed Samsung in a little over saturation.
2ee30f9afe9d13e96054867185582d24.heic
It's all about that "wow" factor. ;)

Nice photo

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Oh goodness I hope they don’t try to embrace Samsung saturation if they go to OLED. I love how the LCD panel on my iPhone 7 Plus displays colors so close to how I actually see them. Not exactly, but easily the closest out of all the phones I have.

What a nightmare to have Samsung emulate Apple by getting rid of fingerprint scanning and headphone jacks and for Apple to embrace Samsung’s saturated displays as a default. :confused::eek:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
C'mon.....just because you can reach it doesn't mean it was a good design. Its a horrible placement right next to the camera. You gotta admit that...even if you like the N8. I have had the S8+ and S8 and N8 and will not suffer through another FPS in that location. The best FPS is round and either on front or on the back in middle. Samsung is the only OEM to have an oblong FPS nested right up to the camera. All others that put it on the back move it to the middle. Its more ergonomically sound. You don't have adjust the phone in your hand at all to reach it in the middle.
Sorry for the rant.....

But my finger really does naturally reach it, it didn't on the S8 plus which is weird. I can't say I have used a better fingerprint reader and I had a LG V20 last year and can't say that was the best for me but the Note really is. Like I said my hands were blessed for the Note...I will be sad when I surely lose this placement next year unless its directly under the screen which is much better.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
But my finger really does naturally reach it, it didn't on the S8 plus which is weird. I can't say I have used a better fingerprint reader and I had a LG V20 last year and can't say that was the best for me but the Note really is. Like I said my hands were blessed for the Note...I will be sad when I surely lose this placement next year unless its directly under the screen which is much better.
I really hope they put it under the display for the S9 and N9 next year :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's all about that "wow" factor. ;)

Nice photo
Et tu, Apple. Noooooo! Well then, I’m glad I wasn’t planning on upgrading anyway. It was such a lovely surprise when I opened the box of what I thought was bedroom slippers on Christmas morning and instead found an iPhone 7 Plus. I had wanted to hang onto this phone for sentimental reasons, alone. Now it looks like I have a small list of practical reasons, too.

It never fails to amuse me when I open up the gallery on my Samsung and look at my fall vacation photos taken on the Atlantic Coast. I see what looks like a beach in Hawaii, instead, with bright blue skies and aqua seas instead of cold gray and silver skies and the murky green seas of algae and silt. Yeah the reality is very plain and drab, but it’s the reality of MY vacations. My Samsung pictures (on the Samsung adaptive display) look like somebody else’s vacation. I don’t even recognize my own face, so it could very well be somebody else in some of those selfies. I am supposed to look like the back end of a mule, not Christie Brinkley. Yeah, that camera does lie that much sometimes. :eek: Heck, that goes beyond lying and right on to tall tales! :p

Reactions: ilifecomputer

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
i read that review up there and thought, "wait isnt the macrumors logo supposed to be sorta burgundy?"

add me to list who prefer more natural colored screens (typing this on a really nice and calibrated IPS and the logo looks burgundy-ish).

Reactions: v0lume4 and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.