Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
One pretty common theme I'm seeing a lot of:

"The only question, really, is which size you should buy. The Pixel 2 XL is probably too expensive for many people, and its 6-inch display may actually be too big as well. The Pixel 2, with a very attainable price, offers excellent value for the money — it also has a better display and more manageable size. Unless you feel like you need the extra screen size or battery of the 2 XL, pick the Pixel 2. You'll love it."

Damn these reviewers making me want to walk into an EE shop on the 19th and get a regular Pixel 2!!!

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As I was reading posts here I got a notification from National Geographic about the havoc storm Ophelia brought to Ireland. I hope MRU and his family are safe and well and did not lose power. Sadly it looks like typing the ampersand before his ID doesn’t bring up his account anymore so I guess he’s truly left the forum. I hope enjoys his new Pixel 2 XL when he gets it.

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Most reviews say this screen is just "OK", that's a big let down for me. Price is less than ok, my opinion of course. Software is another story, can't be beat.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Based on the reviews, it's becoming clearer and clearer that the premium price you're paying for in the Pixel 2 models are mainly for the camera and software services. Not much else more.

And honestly, I’m okay with that. Outside of the first couple weeks of ownership, I don’t usually get too concerned about the “wowiness” of a phone. If it’s practical, adds to my productivity, and checks the boxes I need for function then not much else matters. I had the Galaxy S8 for a few weeks back earlier in the year and I felt it was better to look at then to use. Same with the LG G6. Most of us will slap a case on it anyway and then design goes almost completely out the window.

I’m thrilled with the Pixel software experience and the camera. Those are the two reasons I’m buying the Pixel 2. The addition of front facing speakers and water-proofing are fantastic additions. I don’t care too much about bezels, but that’s me.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Based on the reviews, it's becoming clearer and clearer that the premium price you're paying for in the Pixel 2 models are mainly for the camera and software services. Not much else more.
Money well spent if it’s all as good as promised! :D

I’m not going into detail again why, but my head isn’t as easily turned by sexy smartphone hardware anymore. I do want a good display and fortunately what I’ve seen and what I’ve read indicate I will get that.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The good news is, it looks these phones can't take a bad picture. Every review I've seen so far is echoing the same positive response to the camera.

Eat your heart out, Apple and Samsung. Along with unlimited Photos backups, the camera experience is simply going to rock.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
As I was reading posts here I got a notification from National Geographic about the havoc storm Ophelia brought to Ireland. I hope MRU and his family are safe and well and did not lose power. Sadly it looks like typing the ampersand before his ID doesn’t bring up his account anymore so I guess he’s truly left the forum. I hope enjoys his new Pixel 2 XL when he gets it.
Does anyone know why he decided to leave? It was very odd...I have talked to him on other forums in the past and he is well liked everywhere.....

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I do hope MRU is ok. Maybe he is going through some personal stuff he feels he needs to work through without any distractions, or perhaps he just wanted a break from the interwebs.

Regardless, the run up to a phone launch as big as this one for us techies is sorely missing his input (even if it was just to moan about the European availability and price :D ).
He is missed indeed.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Same here. I see the Google charge, too.

First of all, ouch. Two Pixel 2s add up! But secondly, can't wait!

[doublepost=1508258579][/doublepost]Screen protectors. Which ones? Go!

(You can tell these phones aren't for me. Anyone who knows me knows I don't use screen protectors!)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Going into it, that was obviously the case. Basically if you love stock Android and quick updates, it's the only game in town. I used to love stock for the speed but OEMs have gotten so much better at optimizing their skins it's less of a differentiator for me now. 6 weeks into using the Note and I haven't seen a hint of slow down.

Reactions: epicrayban

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Of course it's personal preference, but I don't think 6" is too big. After having the 7+ and now the Note 8, no way I could "make do" with a 5" screen. Web browsing & the camera are my main uses, so the bigger the better!

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Agreed epicrayban.

In a way, it makes the now super cheap OG Pixel XL a very viable option for some (like me) who want a very good camera still, and Oreo.

There seems to be a shortage of Pixel one XL 128GB in the UK.
The 32GB is readily available for £399 but with the OS its not enough storage imo.
Certainly a compelling smartphone if 128GB XL was £399

Reactions: Aneres11

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
There seems to be a shortage of Pixel one XL 128GB in the UK.
The 32GB is readily available for £399 but with the OS its not enough storage imo.
Certainly a compelling smartphone if 128GB XL was £399
That 128gb XL is some kind of unicorn.

Despite the fat side bezels (thanks squeeze-me-assistant) and dropped headphone jack, after hearing about the XL2 screen, both here and in the Android Authority review, I'm going to wait.

There's just no place for a mediocre screen that you interact with every time you use the device at this price.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Went into a Verizon store a little bit ago and to my surprise not only did they have both new devices, both where functional. I went to the XL 2 which reminds me of a flattened s8 plus. The device was smooth and functional, they where not signed into Google, the squeeze function felt redundant when ok Google would work better.

I didn't play with either device for too long, I couldn't tell which display mode they was running. The camera took some nice images from what I could tell, looked natural at a cursory glance, had nice details.

The XL 2 sat pretty nice in hand but seeing as it was tied to the counter it was hard to get an actual feel.

The smaller device did look a bit boxy, kind of out of sync with the norm. The bezels didn't really stand out to me, the head and chin on the smaller one was out of place for sure.

They also had a pixel 1 xl near by that looked very brickish by comparison. Didn't really look too much.

I can't wait to actually get the device. To me the XL 2 is kind of the s8+ without the Samsung software. Not sure if this makes any sense.

So far I like what I seen.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Went into a Verizon store a little bit ago and to my surprise not only did they have both new devices, both where functional. I went to the XL 2 which reminds me of a flattened s8 plus. The device was smooth and functional, they where not signed into Google, the squeeze function felt redundant when ok Google would work better.

I didn't play with either device for too long, I couldn't tell which display mode they was running. The camera took some nice images from what I could tell, looked natural at a cursory glance, had nice details.

The XL 2 sat pretty nice in hand but seeing as it was tied to the counter it was hard to get an actual feel.

The smaller device did look a bit boxy, kind of out of sync with the norm. The bezels didn't really stand out to me, the head and chin on the smaller one was out of place for sure.

They also had a pixel 1 xl near by that looked very brickish by comparison. Didn't really look too much.

I can't wait to actually get the device. To me the XL 2 is kind of the s8+ without the Samsung software. Not sure if this makes any sense.

I'm gonna see if I can get hands on in the next day or two. Not sure if there will be any on display in the UK just yet.

Can't figure out if the design oddities is something that'll fade over time like with the original. I've tried micro bezels on the Mi Mix and curved edges on the Note 8 and prefer some bezels and flat screens. I don't mind the head/chin but the sides look kinda.... swollen.

Reactions: slitherjef

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I'm tellin ya: if they allow people to remap the squeeze function, they're going to love it. I had the HTC U11 for a spell. Convinced I'd never use the squeeze feature. Tied it to the camera and flashlight (you can assign different squeezes for different apps) and it was effing MAGICAL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.