Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Yeah these tests that show a phone do something like video playback until the battery dies are kinda subject imho. I mean in real life your cell reception among other things would come into play....
Cell phone reception and reception while using data are the biggest factors, imo. If I'm home all day, it kills my phone's battery because I have very low signal, so even if I'm using WiFi it keeps trying to hold on to the tower and burns through battery.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The camera has me really excited about the Pixel 2 XL. The fact that it does all that it does with software means that it can get better with updates. You can't do that with hardware features. Google does a great job in post processing. Then the dedicated camera SoC is not even enabled yet and won't be until a future software update

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
My 2XL is coming Thursday

51oss4O05CL.jpg

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Everything about the phone seems great except potentially the screen on the XL2...

But reviewers can only do so much - it's down to people who actually BUY it, so I'll trust you lot with your real world reviews!

Can't wait. Also, hope MRU is OK. Sometimes I take a couple of months off from forums, best wishes to him!

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
Dilema

All the reviews are seeming very good just echoing the dullness of the display.

I’ll probably pre order a pixel tomorrow well it’s that or a note 8 as I fancy a change from iOS. Literally change my mind multiple times a day deciding. Pixel cameras are pushing it for me though as notes front camera was terrible. Why can’t there be a perfect smartphone.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Pixel cameras are pushing it for me though as notes front camera was terrible.

I only found it to be lacking in low light on the front. The front camera has been my biggest criticism of Samsung phones. The Note 8 seemed much improved, although still far behind an iPhone.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
This discussion of the XL 2 being dull is nonsense. The reviewers making that note are ignorant as to what is happening with the oversaturated phones they've been using.

Just like the Note 8, the 2 XL supports 100% of the DCI-P3 color gamut. However, the 2 XL is using the new feature in Oreo that allows apps to actually be color managed.

On the Note 8, and prior devices, when you change color modes it modifies all colors to look incorrect. So, for example, icons no longer look correct on my S8 if I change from 'basic' mode because they are sRGB icons being mapped to a much wider gamut. However, Oreo allows apps to display sRGB colors accurately mapped while an app like Netflix would display HDR content in the extended color gamut without having to manually change from one display mode to another.

I believe my prior perception that the 2 XL was too saturated is because I was comparing apps like Gmail between my S8 and the XL 2. Gmail must now be a color-managed app and they've manually tweaked the red color to display a more saturated tone of red, because the red doesn't look garrish on the 2 XL as it does on my S8 if I raise the display mode beyond basic. Gmail on the 2 XL appears a very deep color, and I now understand this is on purpose and not because it's being oversaturated. This is a good thing -- I just wasn't aware of it before.

I would imagine that as soon as Samsung updates to Oreo, we'll see the same feature in use with their devices. It is likely that Adaptive Display will be updated in the future to display accurate colors for color managed apps, rather than just distorting everything as it does now.

Those of you who have become accustomed to incorrect and exaggerated colors will be happy, I'm sure, as app makers begin updating their apps to extended color gamuts so that you're not stuck with sRGB colors on a P3 capable display. I actually welcome that. Having access to more colors is a great thing. I just want to see those extended colors because the app maker or content creator picked out those colors and not because the display is taking sRGB and mapping it to the completely wrong color.

Considering that Apple has taken this same route with the iPhone X -- and macOS is also doing this same thing -- I don't think it's reaching to say that the way Pixel 2 XL is doing it is the future.

Now that I understand that Oreo actually does what I've been wanting, I think I've changed my mind and will purchase it.

Reactions: 5105973

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
No, that display is a huge fail. I've been to several Verizon stores and seen it in person. Blue tone no matter how slight you tilt the display. This should have been a Nexus priced phone, nothing more. Google should be ashamed to put out a screen this bad.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
No, that display is a huge fail. I've been to several Verizon stores and seen it in person. Blue tone no matter how slight you tilt the display. This should have been a Nexus priced phone, nothing more. Google should be ashamed to put out a screen this bad.
And of course the demo units had latest updates and screen settings were optimized.

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
In most reviews, they state you can't change the screen settings as well. So what you see is what you'll get.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just watched Alex Dobie’s review over at Android Central and he echos the sentiment by most regarding the display—that it’s quite subpar compared to other phones in the price range.

I notice differences in displays probably less than most here but the blue shift he illustrates in the video when even barely changing viewing angles alone would drive me nuts.

Bummer.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm sure if it's something that can be changed with software and the reviews are that negative, Google will address it
[doublepost=1508287595][/doublepost]I just spent 15 minutes with the Pixel 2 XL.

Unlike my last experience, I didn't notice any blue tint. It seemed perfectly white to me this time.

Saturation is definitely srgb. I compared websites side by with my s8 in basic and they looked identical.

All app interfaces look more saturated though and made my s8 look dull.

A new concern though is I noticed black crush in all images compared between 2 XL and s8. Shadow detail is sadly lost on the 2 XL. I can't understand why that would be.
[doublepost=1508287942][/doublepost]Oh one other thing... The 2 XL was clearly brighter than my s8 with both set to max.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Some may not like it but.....

Are there better displays? Probably
Better bezels? Most likely
Better devices? No question

Maybe I'm just trying to justify a one thousand dollar pre order

But if something else strikes your fancy then by all means go for it :)

Hell, there are some other nice devices out there I kind of think about often (note 8? Yup!)

I skipped the 1st gen pixel but this one I'm excited about. I skipped the first because I, I guess in a sense I wasn't ready for it...

Reactions: 5105973

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Stopped by a different Verizon store today to check out the Pixel 2 models to see if my findings were similar to what I saw the other day. What I found was interesting. The colors were, as before, quite subdued in comparison to what I'm used to. The colors on the OG Pixel, Note 8, and LG V30 at the store today were all more saturated than what I saw on the Pixel 2 models. But here's where things get interesting: the colors on the Pixel 2, both the regular AND XL variants, were the same (save for a slightly warmer temperature on the smaller model). The screen on the smaller Pixel 2 is made by Samsung and the screen on the 2 XL is made by LG, yet they looked similar. What does this mean?

To echo was @Lava Lamp Freak has been saying, as well as what The Verge said in their review today, the "washed out" colors we are seeing are the result of the Pixel displays being sRGB calibrated. This is good for the fact that the colors you are seeing are in fact the TRUE colors that the app developers, web designers, etc., intend for you to see. Now, whether or not you prefer that is a different story. I prefer the saturated colors, but I digress. I'm probably just too used to my Nexus 6P's display.

Something else of note -- I activated developer mode on the 2 XL and went into the developer options and couldn't find an sRGB toggle, unlike what I have seen on my Nexus. I searched for "sRGB" in the settings app (via the little magnifying glass near the top of the screen) and actually saw the sRGB option listed, but upon tapping the option I was brought to the developer options screen which, again, did not list sRGB. This further enforces the theory that sRGB must be on by default, and the option to disable it is hidden.

Very interesting decision by Google. While I understand their reasoning behind this, I again will say that your average Joe is going to look at other smartphones and then look at the Pixel and think "this display isn't good." Maybe a software update will add the option for even more vivid colors (since "Vivid colors" under the display settings on the Pixel 2's didn't seem to do much).

Moving on from the screen, a few tidbits: I really like the design of the regular 2 as well as the 2 XL. They are darn good looking phones, and I personally really dig the "Kinda Blue" color on the smaller device. The finish on the back of the devices feel great. Having owned metal phones for years now, I'm tired of the cold aluminum feeling when picking up my devices. The finish on the Pixel 2 devices are welcome changes. The Pixel 2 XL in particular feels very light -- I didn't realize how heavy my Nexus 6P was until holding the 2 XL. Also a welcome change.

Just some more investigative work for anyone curious (as I was). Cheers.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
The Nexus 5 is an iconic device for sure. I think I've went through 3 of them... I've accidentally broke a couple lol

Mines been a beast but she's ready to be put to rest. Cracked screen that still works, and definitely not running as smooth as it once was but it's more than earned the money I spent on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.