Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm tellin ya: if they allow people to remap the squeeze function, they're going to love it. I had the HTC U11 for a spell. Convinced I'd never use the squeeze feature. Tied it to the camera and flashlight (you can assign different squeezes for different apps) and it was effing MAGICAL.

I'm sure they will, via root at least. I know not everyone wants this option. The squeeze function does seem like a bit of a place holder on a device like this.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I do hope MRU is ok. Maybe he is going through some personal stuff he feels he needs to work through without any distractions, or perhaps he just wanted a break from the interwebs.

Regardless, the run up to a phone launch as big as this one for us techies is sorely missing his input (even if it was just to moan about the European availability and price :D ).
He is missed indeed.

I wish MRU the best as well even though we have debated alot at opposite ends of the spectrum; his input is surely missed.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I'm sure they will, via root at least. I know not everyone wants this option. The squeeze function does seem like a bit of a place holder on a device like this.

I'm shocked Google isn't allowing folks to remap it. Google Assistant is so integrated into the very fiber of that device that there really isn't a need for such a force-blunt means of getting people to use it.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The iPhone X actually does it right. Apple has been using P3 color gamut in displays for the last few years. The iPhone X automatically displays content in the correct color gamut. No changing anything required. This is from Apple: "The advanced color management system in the Super Retina HD display is the best in the industry. Which means that whatever color mode your content uses — P3, sRGB — iPhone X automatically displays in that format. So the colors you see are the colors the director or designer intended."

Windows and Android don't do this yet, unfortunately.
[doublepost=1508247977][/doublepost]Good news. According to Dieter Bohn, the XL 2 screen does not have any of the V30 issues.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/17/16486108/google-pixel-2-xl-review-android-phone-camera

Alot of web designers/developers fail to manage their color profiles correctly anyways so you can have the best color management in the world yet its fails due to the actual web designers not giving a crap about it. Most just place it in sRGB and move on. I rather view my website content in a saturated adaptive display mode look for the most part because its just more pleasing to my eyes. When I need to change color profiles, its nice to have a Samsung display thats completely customizeable to the most saturated wide color gamut to the most accurate sRGB or to the DCI-P3 color space with the option of having it more warm or more cool.

Options are better than hoping Apple matches up your color profile to their desires even if you like how it looks or not (Gated Wall Galore is the iPhone). Hence, Samsung will continue to have the highest resolution, better ppi, most customizeable, highly accurate, and brightest displays in the industry on their own OLED devices.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm tellin ya: if they allow people to remap the squeeze function, they're going to love it. I had the HTC U11 for a spell. Convinced I'd never use the squeeze feature. Tied it to the camera and flashlight (you can assign different squeezes for different apps) and it was effing MAGICAL.

The Verge review said you can use the squeeze to toggle sound/vibrate mode (If I heard him correctly). For me, that's an instant use as I do that for work, meetings, etc. all day long. But yes, a remap will be awesome. I do have hope that the devs remapping the bixby button will be able to do the same for the squeeze. or even the ones that have made apps to make more use out of the U11's squeeze

Reactions: 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The Verge review said you can use the squeeze to toggle sound/vibrate mode (If I heard him correctly). For me, that's an instant use as I do that for work, meetings, etc. all day long. But yes, a remap will be awesome. I do have hope that the devs remapping the bixby button will be able to do the same for the squeeze. or even the ones that have made apps to make more use out of the U11's squeeze

This would be nice as I always wondered why no android phone has a hardware mute button like the iphones. Just an extremely useful function IMO.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Seems Vlad Savov from TheVerge didnt like the screen the slightest Reading all reviews, the screen is the phone's Achille's foot. Ars Technica's comparisons show the Pixel 2 has a much superior display to the Pixel 2 XL.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I would imagine some of the Devs at XDA will have a custom ROM soon to remap the squeeze.
[doublepost=1508267326][/doublepost]
This would be nice as I always wondered why no android phone has a hardware mute button like the iphones. Just an extremely useful function IMO.
I love the little toggle mute button on iphones. The only other phones to have that is the OnePlus phones.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Thought this was very nice, these have a dark theme when you use a dark wallpaper: https://9to5google.com/2017/10/17/google-pixel-2-dark-theme/

I hope you can turn it on independent of the wallpaper, but not sure. WHat's especially nice is the notification panel darkens. That's my gripe with other Android phones, Samsung in particular. You can dark theme them, but stupid stuff like the notification panel remains bright white.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Very nice video...

MBKHD unboxing and first impressions.
He calls out all the attention to the overal user experience

Last edited:

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
Seems Vlad Savov from TheVerge didnt like the screen the slightest Reading all reviews, the screen is the phone's Achille's foot. Ars Technica's comparisons show the Pixel 2 has a much superior display to the Pixel 2 XL.
Coming from the note 8 the screen is the most important thing for me. I will cancel my preorder.

"Have to get this off my chest:

The Pixel 2 XL screen is an inexcusable garbage fire that sears my very soul and spoils a great phone."

I trust Vlad.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So what about the app drawer - well, the 'drawer' went out years ago, but the app 'tray'(?)
All screenshots I have seen seem to be showing apps alphabetically? Is this the only option within stock launcher?

Currently, the App drawer on my XZ Premium allows for the apps to be within folders in the drawer, and they can be moved to an iPhone style view, so they can be ordered however you like.

Will Pixel 2 have a similar option or is it literally just alphabetical?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Coming from the note 8 the screen is the most important thing for me. I will cancel my preorder.

The Pixel 2 XL screen is an inexcusable garbage fire that sears my very soul and spoils a great phone."

I trust Vlad.

I will get this off my chest, and I say this acknowledging I haven't spent much time with the phone:

I am SO tired of the tech press using hyperbole like this. Most of them are just straight up bored because none of these phones are vastly different than the next. The limited time I did have with the XL demonstrated the usual: a very good screen that of course isn't as good as the Note 8. But so what? Is it really an "inexcusable garbage fire"? Seriously?

I like Vlad but comments like that actually hurt his credibility.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Very nice video...

MBKHD unboxing and first impressions.
He calls out all the attention to the overal user experience

I have to say that I was incredibly impressed with The Verge's video. The camerawork, animations, animations, and otherwise journalistic work that went into that video was on-point.

I trust Vlad.
I read that too. What a crying shame. Curious to see what some of the posters on here and Reddit have to say when they receive their units over the coming week.

IMHO, muted colors in the name of "accuracy" unfortunately puts the Pixel 2 in the position of "odd man out" -- in the worst sense of the word -- when every other OLED Android device has brighter colors. Heck even my Nexus 6P looked better than the Pixel 2 XL that I saw in the Verizon store.

Funny things that I've noticed is that some posters don't mind the screen at all. Maybe it depends on what device you're coming from.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Tom's Guide crowns Pixel 2 XL battery king FWIW......
Everyone's usage will differ depending on how you use your phone. real world use will differ.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9UL1AvNzIwMzQ5L29yaWdpbmFsL1BpeGVsMkJhdHRlcnlMaWZlLmpwZw==

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-battery-life,news-25994.html

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I trust Vlad.

While I wasn't particularly impressed with the XL2 screen, it's far from garbage. My one concern was its brightness, it seemed about as bright as my 7+ which sucks really badly in sunlight. Just this morning I complained to myself because I could barely see the screen because of indirect sunlight through my shaded and closed moonroof. Of course I was not impressed by the XL2 overall as a whole and also cancelled my preorder, but not because of the screen quality itself. That's one of the few things that impressed me about the Note 8, I could see that screen even with the sun directly glaring on it.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My current device would probably get a solid ~3 hours continuously surfing the web, as performed in this test.

In more realistic day-to-day usage, my phone gets 2.5 hours of screen on time. Yikes.
Yeah these tests that show a phone do something like video playback until the battery dies are kinda subject imho. I mean in real life your cell reception among other things would come into play....

Reactions: Fernandez21

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Yeah these tests that show a phone do something like video playback until the battery dies are kinda subject imho. I mean in real life your cell reception among other things would come into play....
Indeed.

The point I was trying to make was that my current phone battery sucks. :p

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.