Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Oh goodness I hope they don’t try to embrace Samsung saturation if they go to OLED. I love how the LCD panel on my iPhone 7 Plus displays colors so close to how I actually see them. Not exactly, but easily the closest out of all the phones I have.

What a nightmare to have Samsung emulate Apple by getting rid of fingerprint scanning and headphone jacks and for Apple to embrace Samsung’s saturated displays as a default. :confused::eek:

Once again, you don't have to use the display in adaptive mode. It fixes the issue unless you have a defected S8 plus like you. I love that saturated look and accuracy is only nice when you are photo viewing.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
IMO, nothing will compare to my Sony XZ Premium screen.

Anyone that sees this phone always comments on the screen (after they have said how much they love the look of the phone.) Surprising, when it was panned by reviewers for being "bevelicious". (Come back MRU :( )

Been well and truly spoiled by the 4k display on this, so nothing will compare. What I am glad to read about though, is this 'muted' display on the XL 2. I had a Pixel briefly last November and hated the screen. It was far far far too neon and retina burning, I remember discussing it on here.

I also find the same with Samsung screens. But I think it could just be AMOLED / OLED in general.

I'd be happy with an XZ Premium panel in all devices tbh.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Once again, you don't have to use the display in adaptive mode. It fixes the issue unless you have a defected S8 plus like you. I love that saturated look and accuracy is only nice when you are photo viewing.
Yes but I’m not talking about Samsung’s display exactly, I’m talking about Apple trying to emulate that Adaptive look by DEFAULT. And...knowing Apple, we won’t be able to adjust the settings and default is all we will get unless someone makes an app to change it.

Reactions: jamezr

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Yes but I’m not talking about Samsung’s display exactly, I’m talking about Apple trying to emulate that Adaptive look by DEFAULT. And...knowing Apple, we won’t be able to adjust the settings and default is all we will get unless someone makes an app to change it.

The iPhone X actually does it right. Apple has been using P3 color gamut in displays for the last few years. The iPhone X automatically displays content in the correct color gamut. No changing anything required. This is from Apple: "The advanced color management system in the Super Retina HD display is the best in the industry. Which means that whatever color mode your content uses — P3, sRGB — iPhone X automatically displays in that format. So the colors you see are the colors the director or designer intended."

Windows and Android don't do this yet, unfortunately.
[doublepost=1508247977][/doublepost]Good news. According to Dieter Bohn, the XL 2 screen does not have any of the V30 issues.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/17/16486108/google-pixel-2-xl-review-android-phone-camera

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The iPhone X actually does it right. Apple has been using P3 color gamut in displays for the last few years. The iPhone X automatically displays content in the correct color gamut. No changing anything required. This is from Apple: "The advanced color management system in the Super Retina HD display is the best in the industry. Which means that whatever color mode your content uses — P3, sRGB — iPhone X automatically displays in that format. So the colors you see are the colors the director or designer intended."

Windows and Android don't do this yet, unfortunately.
[doublepost=1508247977][/doublepost]Good news. According to Dieter Bohn, the XL 2 screen does not have any of the V30 issues.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/17/16486108/google-pixel-2-xl-review-android-phone-camera

He also calls the screens muted. Similar to what many of us described with our early impressions.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Watching some of the pixel 2 vids now that the embargo has lifted.

Hopefully we will see root soon. I'm sure we will.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
That thumb nail of the Pixel XL 2 really looks like an S8 and it is not sitting well with me.
I know it isn't the same phone, but it just looks so Samsung like that it puts me off.
No hate to Samsung, I just don't really like their devices.

How I wish the Pixel software and camera were dropped into the Essential body. o_O

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
yay!

upload_2017-10-17_8-56-22.png

[doublepost=1508248621][/doublepost]watching the Verge review, wow, that camera! I'm excited for that

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Sounds like good overall reviews so far with the "muted" screen being the biggest issue but it sounds like it was intentional.

It sounds like Oreo does the same thing Apple is doing with iPhone X: automatically displaying content in correct color space without having to manually change settings. But there is a 'vivid' option to boost saturation a little.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
{{{{noobinator}}}}

We will pop popcorn and watch our friends unboxing photos as we wait patiently for our Pandas.

I will also look over my husband’s shoulder a lot. That will annoy him greatly. :D

Same here. the Panda is the one I really want and will be here in 3 weeks. the black one will hopefully let me figure out if I will be keeping the XL 2 long term or not.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
{{{{noobinator}}}}

We will pop popcorn and watch our friends unboxing photos as we wait patiently for our Pandas.

I will also look over my husband’s shoulder a lot. That will annoy him greatly. :D

My hope is that I can get some hands on time with the Panda before it ships. I'm hoping it has a bit of a different feel on the back than the black 2 XL. Also, looking forward to normal user reviews of the 2 xl. I have no plans on canceling my pre-order though because I can play with it for 2 weeks and return it. I think the Panda will show up in stores like BestBuy/Verizon next week.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.