Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
What! Got a second shipment notification for the second Pixel 2, in white. Originally, this was not slated for shipment until Oct 23rd. That means both black and white Pixel 2's are arriving tomorrow.

It appears Google's stock is much better this year.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Fedex here as well.

Fedex must be smokin' something on their delivery estimate. Still a ways away to be delivered today :eek:

upload_2017-10-18_9-41-51.png

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think I'd be less twitched at the price if they either left the headphone jack in or gave a cheap set of USB-C earbuds to tide people over until we can afford their expensive fancy Bluetooth ones or the noise cancelling ones. The dongle is a nice add in though. My cat will be so happy to have another one to steal at unboxing time.

I'm one of the few who applaud getting rid of the headphone jack /ducks. I thought they included some earbuds? I've never found any earbuds from any oem to be of any value whatsoever anyway, but I guess some people like them.
[doublepost=1508338753][/doublepost]
I've read the displaymates article on the Note 8, and I guess I took away something different than you, because from the way I perceived it they said to stay in basic mode for most content since that's what most content was created in.

I still have my concerns with the XL 2 display. I noticed shadow detail being crushed, and I'm not sure whether it's my S8 showing too much detail or if there is something not right with the XL 2. I'm also aware of the graininess people have seen with this display.

But all of the complaints about the XL 2 being dull is a subjective issue for those who have become desensitized to garish, oversaturated displays.

It's definitely subjective, no doubt about it. But for me it seemed slightly dull compared to my 7+, which is a phone no one would ever accuse of being oversaturated. Now this may have been a consequence of brightness as well as I like to use my phones with the brightness cranked up. But overall the screen wasn't a deal breaker for me at all, but other stuff were deal breakers.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
FedEx is giving me no indication that a signature is required.

But then again, this isn't iPhone launch day, where everyone of consequence knows that a box from AI means Apple, Inc and the contents are an iPhone.

Usually companies require signatures for items based on price point. I'm surprised Google would ship a 800-1k product without requiring a signature.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think the display would be the bad part. For me it's the darn bezel. I've been spoiled by this V30. At first I was all for bezel because most of the smaller bezel devices came with insane edge screens. Accidental touches were very irritating. I think LG hit my comfort zone just right with this phone.

I don't know how I'll ever buy a heavier device either.

Yeah, that's still a concern for me too. I held the V30 for the first time tonight. And then there is my S8, which I still love the size of. But I no longer like the curved edges on my S8, and I prefer stock Android. The V30 with stock Android would definitely be preferable. But I may just end up waiting for the S9 and next year's other flagships.

That's my biggest disappointment, man they had LG and the v30 design but still couldn't pull it off. I suppose maybe it's LG's fault, they probably didn't want to cannibalize their v30 sales by letting Google offer a better v30 with vanilla android. I'm hoping next year, now that they took over some HTC engineers, Google's design will truly have no compromises.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Usually companies require signatures for items based on price point. I'm surprised Google would ship a 800-1k product without requiring a signature.

I agree. Samsung's always require a signature. My Pixel is even coming from "Ingram Micro", the same location that Samsung ships from.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I have seen the Pixel 2XL and held it in my hands right next to my 8 Plus and V30 and it does not have a terrible display.
It might not be on par with a Samsung display......but it's not terrible. At least they got the fingerprint scanner in the right place. That and the overall user experience.......and I would choose the Pixel 2 XL over the Note 8 all day long........
Most reviews have said it is the best Android phone you can buy right now.....

Pixel 2 (cant recommend Pixel 2 XL at all due to that display) really is the best vanilla android or what I call pure android experience you can buy but you can no way say it's ticks every box like the Note 8 does. Anyone seeing both in person will be more amazed by the Note 8. The Note 8 is a beast while Google is still in the same place as last year's pixel which was also called the best android phone.

I don't think of the Note 8 as a android phone since Samsung hides its functions well with the Samsung Experience and they usually are first to the table for most features added on to updated android versions. More people are even use to samsungs way of android and thats why they are number 1.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I spent almost $1k on my pixel xl last year. I just double checked and no sig was required and it was “left on porch” by fedex.

Amazing. And really stupid on their part. And honestly, as a customer, I'd be annoyed. It's not your problem if it gets stolen but considering availability, if it were taken, how would you have felt if you needed to wait another few weeks for a second shipment?

Reactions: deany

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm hoping next year, now that they took over some HTC engineers, Google's design will truly have no compromises.

I'm hoping, too.

For now, I think Google is still just a hair too far behind on the hardware for me to commit to.

My opinions may change when I get the Pixel 2's in hand and try them out. The software obviously saves them for now (even the camera advantage is in the software), but by the time the Pixel 3 comes around, they have got to be more toe-to-toe with the competition on the design and hardware features.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's not a bad thing at all but for the price I really wish it was top notch in every aspect.
I agree. Although I believe the issue with the Pixel 2 XL is mainly that the display is good but is getting knocked down because of too many duds. MKBHD's Pixel 2 XL seemed perfect to me on video but Android Central's XL had that blue tint and grainy effect. Android Police got a good unit but Ars Technica got a unit with the same issues as the V30. So there is a good display hiding in there somewhere and you may have to play the lottery to get it but this is really inexcusable for a 1k smartphone. The Pixel 2 seems a better bet as it has zero issues.

I play the screen lottery with iPhones every year but in the case of the XL, it may be more than usual as I can't stand flaws in displays. If there is a small speck of dust under the screen, I would notice it immediately, that's how picky I am.

Reactions: 5105973

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Amazing. And really stupid on their part. And honestly, as a customer, I'd be annoyed. It's not your problem if it gets stolen but considering availability, if it were taken, how would you have felt if you needed to wait another few weeks for a second shipment?

It's a weird decision but I can't worry about what I can't control.

Speaking of bad shipping, T-Mobile is horrendous. I haven't gotten anything from this year but last year they shipped my $1,000 phone in the manufacturer's box inside a very loose bubble envelope with no additional padding (just the single layer bubble). The Samsung box was all smashed up on the corners but luckily the phone was fine. It was also left without a sig. It's annoying because I like to keep the boxes in pristine condition as well since it helps with resell.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
And I heartily agree on the RAM. I also think iPhones could benefit from a boost to 4 GB these days with AR and think it’s stupid to stick to 3 for iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus.
Watch the iPhone X performance turn to garbage in about two years. :(

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Pixel 2 (cant recommend Pixel 2 XL at all due to that display) really is the best vanilla android or what I call pure android experience you can buy but you can no way say it's ticks every box like the Note 8 does. Anyone seeing both in person will be more amazed by the Note 8. The Note 8 is a beast while Google is still in the same place as last year's pixel which was also called the best android phone.

I don't think of the Note 8 as a android phone since Samsung hides its functions well with the Samsung Experience and they usually are first to the table for most features added on to updated android versions. More people are even use to samsungs way of android and thats why they are number 1.
I disagree...Samsung is never first.....Bixby? Duplicate apps? Curved display that no one else is following because it doesn't make sense. It almost feels like they are doing that just to differentiate themselves for brand recogitation.
People will be amazed at the display on the Note 8...i know I am. But then when they actually start to use it the display amazement wears off.
The FPS is in a horrible location...no one can defend that decision. You might have gotten used to it...but it is still bad design.
Camera...again Pixel wins. Google even has its on SoC for camera processing that is being utilized. The best camera on a smartphone is doing it with software that can be updated.....you can't do that with hardware based camera features.
The only thing i wish the Pixel 2 had is wireless charging and maybe an SD Card

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I don't think the display would be the bad part. For me it's the darn bezel. I've been spoiled by this V30. At first I was all for bezel because most of the smaller bezel devices came with insane edge screens. Accidental touches were very irritating. I think LG hit my comfort zone just right with this phone.

I don't know how I'll ever buy a heavier device either.
Ah! I haven't been by the V30 thread in a while. So you did end up purchasing the V30? Congratulations. :) I held it in-store yesterday and I have to say -- you made a good choice. I've never held such a one-handable (that's a real word :p) 6.0" screen. The design is on point.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I get what they are trying to do with the display having true to life colors, just disappointing they are using such a bad display which ruins what they are trying to accomplish.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Reactions: Kiezpirat80

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Ouch, that's a pretty scathing article about the 2 XL screen. I wouldn't drop $850 for the 2 XL for many reasons, but this is really the nail in the coffin.

Didn't Google invest in LG screen tech recently, too? So we can expect LG to be in the Pixel 3?

Did Apple also invest in LG screens for the future? I can't remember.
I think The Verge might have gotten a dud screen. I haven't seen many people complain about screen uniformity. What I'm more concerned about is the color profile.

Yes, I do believe that Apple invested in LG, they probably will source OLED panels from them at a later time.

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ouch, that's a pretty scathing article about the 2 XL screen. I wouldn't drop $850 for the 2 XL for many reasons, but this is really the nail in the coffin.

Didn't Google invest in LG screen tech recently, too? So we can expect LG to be in the Pixel 3?

Did Apple also invest in LG screens for the future? I can't remember.
Yeah....we take Vlad seriously when he says
But a screen that makes me scream every time I have to look at it?

Yet we have most reviews that praise the screen......
Even side by side pictures and DxO reviews about the camera yet Vlad hated everything about the Pixel 2 XL?
Even Dieter Bohn from the Verge liked the 2XL
[doublepost=1508351521][/doublepost]
I think The Verge might have gotten a dud screen. I haven't seen many people complain about screen uniformity. What I'm more concerned about is the color profile.

Yes, I do believe that Apple invested in LG, they probably will source OLED panels from them at a later time.
Naw.....it was Vlad doing a hatchet job....the screen was fine for Dieter Bohn from the Verge....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.