Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I suppose if you have a hard-on for the best top display #1 screen, the the Note 8 is your only choice.

But you give up a lot going with a Galaxy phone. It sure the heck is not running stock Android that's for sure. If your ok with that UI then get it.

But battery life on the Note 8 I hear is just ok, not great, not bad. Whereas the Pixel 2 XL has phenomenal battery life, plus it runs the smoothest Android OS

"Give Up ALOT on the Note 8"..............really this is hilarious. The Note 8 has almost everything and more.:eek: The most features on any smartphone out there in fact.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Found this on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77ax8z/pixel_2_xl_poled_is_perfect_dont_worry/

Hey chaps. I pre-ordered my Pixel 2 XL at 10:20am PST (12:20pm here) on the 4th of October. I received it today and after going through 4 Nexus 6Ps and 4 Pixel XLs, I can say that I am very satisfied with this device and it's display. I'm not going to make videos of it and whatnot, but I truthfully cannot discover any banding issues or any unevenness with the panel and I'm definitely a display perfectionist. Minimum brightness is too dark for me to see anything but even in the darkness, it seems perfect. That being said, it's no Note8 display. The colors are definitely more accurate rather than explicitly there to please the eye.

I know there are plenty of people here and on reviews bashing the display, but it is not worth complaining about. In addition, contrary to what reviews like to say, the Pixel 2 XL is neither a rebadged V30 nor is it based off of the V30! They merely were assembled by the same company and we think they use the same pOLED panel. A lot more goes into a display than just the panel as side by side comparisons with the V30 show!

One last thing: I did leave Vivid Mode on, which is on by default and boosts the saturation by 10% (so I've heard). It does very little in most circumstances.

Here are some generic photos of the device, some screenshots, and some portrait photos. I'll be able to go out and do more with this tomorrow.

Reactions: deany and 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I suppose if you have a hard-on for the best top display #1 screen, the the Note 8 is your only choice.

But you give up a lot going with a Galaxy phone. It sure the heck is not running stock Android that's for sure. If your ok with that UI then get it.

But battery life on the Note 8 I hear is just ok, not great, not bad. Whereas the Pixel 2 XL has phenomenal battery life, plus it runs the smoothest Android OS

Regarding the specific technical issues with graininess and banding I've heard others refer to, but not seen myself, I don't think its nitpicking to be concerned about the possibility of experiencing it, or being upset by having a unit that suffers from it.

If those issues manifest on one device and not on another, it's a real issue and should be addressed. I'd imagine exchanging -- even multiple times -- would be preferred for someone wanting a 2 XL over just giving up and getting a Note 8.

I don't think it's being overly demanding to expect a close-to-1k device to not have major defects with the display -- which is quite an important part of a device.

Great points. I agree with both.

I've actually learned a lot from your posts over the past fews days regarding color accuracy and Android Oreo's individually managed app color profiles. I appreciate all of the information you've shared.

I definitely don't blame you on being reluctant to lay down money on a product that may or may not end up being a dud. I certainly am a little concerned, and it makes it all the more difficult having to wait until mid November to find out how my particular unit stacks up. The particular color "issues" that I have noticed in person strictly are in regards to the dullness (read: calibrated color accuracy) of the screens, so at least I haven't noticed any crazy bad issues like color banding or the crazy "color shift" some folks are talking about. And you mentioned the V30 -- the two that I have looked at this week look terrific. I even pulled up a gray screen on one of them and noticed no banding whatsoever -- clearly the issue effects some but not all units.

If you have the budget, I personally don't think you have much to lose by ordering a 2XL for yourself just to try it for a week or so, since you can always return it. But that's up to you.

I shall continue to pine away until mid November. Cheers. :p

My problem is I have a device payment plan with Verizon, so I'd have to trade in to get the 2 XL. If there were issues I couldn't go back to my S8 and wait for something else to come out.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
"Give Up ALOT on the Note 8"..............really this is hilarious. The Note 8 has almost everything and more.:eek: The most features on any smartphone out there in fact.

What you call "features" I call Lagwiz bloat. No thanks.

I liked a stripped down pone rooted and ROM'd phone with my app drawer nearly empty on first boot up, then I will add the specific apps I want only.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think we're dealing with two different issues here.

1) There is a genuine issue with some of the displays. I don't believe the one I looked at last night had this issue with colors that is on Vlad's unit. However, the first one I looked at I did feel had a bluish tint to it, and I posted that here after seeing it.

2) Google used natural colors and some people are used to and prefer more vibrant colors. However, I still don't find it fair or accurate to call it dull because it's not a limitation of the screen -- it's the way the software is programmed. Considering it supports 100% of the P3 gamut -- just like the Note 8 -- if you actually were to pull up content created in a wider gamut it should look identical to how it would on the Note 8.

Personally, I just don't feel like spending money on something with these issues. Even as much as I want to be on stock Android, I just don't trust it with all of these V30 and 2 XL known technical issues.
We’ve got two 2XLs coming to the house. That should give us a decent idea of how the lottery will work for us. If one is good and one is a dud, I’ll chance an exchange on the dud. If both are duds, I’ll get the little Pixel 2. If that’s a dud, I’ll just keep exchanging until I get a decent one that is evenly lit and not aqua or some other tint or an uneven blotchy tint that would trigger my migraines. My husband isn’t willing to take a smaller Pixel but I am fine with the idea.

Reactions: deany

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I thought it would be good to jot down a couple of quick observations between the Pixel 2 XL and my current phone - Huawei Mate 9.

1. Size: Even though both phones have the same screen size, Mate 9 seems to be wider and taller. The back of the Pixel feels nicer and easier to hold. The Mate 9 is a slab of metal and very slippery.

2. Bezels man, bezels. The Mate 9 is a 2016 phone, but not only are the top and bottom bezels slimmer, the side bezels are ridiculously thinner than the Pixel 2 XL.

3. Screen: Even though the Mate 9 has an LCD 1080p screen, the colors are punchier. The Mate 9 screen seems to come alive unlike the Pixel. Lowest brightness is the same as the Pixel, but at the highest setting, the Mate 9 is noticeably brighter. Grain on the Pixel XL 2 scree is even visible on white backgrounds. It looks like texture in the background and we can learn to ignore it, but just know it is there. Also tilting the screen a few degrees gives the screen a blue tint, last time I saw something like this was on my Galaxy S2. Another noticeable distortion is a darker 2 mm band that runs along the edge of the screen when you look at the phone from an angle. This band is darker than the blue tint on the screen. I don't know if it is just my unit or it is a design flaw.

4. Night Mode: Google's implementation is really nice. The reds are uniform and the transition is very smooth. The Mate 9 on the other hand feels very jarring. The Night Mode shifts through various hours of red for no apparent reason, and I have seen this happen in other Mate 9s as well.

5. Performance: Man, this is where I was really surprised. I expected the Pixel to outclass the Mate 9 but speed and responsiveness were only marginally better. What is even more remarkable is that my Mate 9 was reset 3 months ago and is loaded with apps. I was using it all day and it was still keeping up with a Pixel XL fresh out of the box. I know benchmarks don't mean much and only tell one side of the story, but I ran Geekbench 4 and here are the results. Pixel 2 XL: https://imgur.com/a/wcMjB Mate 9: https://imgur.com/a/CgYuR. The difference as I said is marginal and barely noticeable.

6. Audio: The Mate 9 has bottom firing speakers and audio was crispier than the Pixel 2. The Pixel though was more well rounded and provided very nice immersive sound when videos are seen in landscape.

7. Fingerprint: Both devices unlocked very quickly and I didn't see any noticeable difference between of them.

8. Camera: OMG! Phenomenal performance and Google hit it out of the park with the software.

I feel the device is more like a $500 phone with a ridiculously amazing camera. Sink $930 on this or wait it out for a few months and pick it up for $500 on swappa? That is where the S8 Plus is now currently. Overall, it doesn't feel like a big upgrade for me, the Mate 9 ain't that bad. Here is a picture of my puppy with the Mate 9 dual camera setup: https://m.imgur.com/ph1kqQe. I really want to like the Pixel 2 XL and I will give it a shot.

Let me know what you guys think about your current phone vs the Pixel 2. I'll constantly update this post as I make more observations.
I wanted the Mate 9 so badly! I just couldn't get a non-T-Mobile device and swallow paying for my JUMP! 1 that comes with insurance. It's $12 a month but it wouldn't cover a device not provided by T-Mobile. I'm not changing it because this plan lets me have multiple EIP on one number.

This comes in handy if I want to have two (or more) devices.

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m really happy you’re a very happy Samsung customer. You’ve been nothing but kind to me on this forum and it does my heart good to see that you love your phone and its ecosystem. Your signature makes me smile every time I see it.

My husband loves Samsung, too. I’m not entirely sure how it’s going to work out with him and the Pixel 2XL, because all the stuff you love about Sammy, he does, too. Samsungs are fun and amusement for him and his S8+ is a nice one. His has a little touch of pink stain, too, but it’s very faint and he can run it on any of the settings presets and it looks amazing.

The Samsung Note 8 is a very unique device. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about it. Most of us here have looked into it and some of us have already owned it. It’s just not what everyone here is looking for or looking at. We are looking at Pixels for what the Pixel has to offer, which is very difficult to quantify and articulate in a point by point comparison with the 2017 Samsung flagships. That’s no slight to you and you Samsungs. It is just a difference in what some of us are seeking. We are all different.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
I wanted the Mate 9 so badly! I just couldn't get a non-T-Mobile device and swallow paying for my JUMP! 1 that comes with insurance. It's $12 a month but it wouldn't cover a device not provided by T-Mobile. I'm not changing it because this plan lets me have multiple EIP on one number.

This comes in handy if I want to have two (or more) devices.
It is now $449 brand new and unlocked on Amazon and price is only going to drop further. Phenomenon piece of hardware for the price.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Can agree here. Even during his BlackBerry days for reviews, he was always somewhat of an iPhone fanboy. I used to be a ambassador at iMore until I got banned. -_-
There are very few thing Apple does that Rene examines critically and Rene takes a 100% contrarian view on Google to the point that he is contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Android Police

Google made some nice improvements this year. The Pixel 2 XL's design is vastly more modern, and both phones are water-resistant. The new OLED display is surprisingly good—it doesn't have any of the issues I saw with the V30, and the colors are rendered very accurately. Google also sped up the fingerprint reader, which continues to be on the back. That's the right place for them, and everyone knows it. Even Bluetooth is better this year; I can carry the phone in my pocket without a crackling, fussy connection.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/17/pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-review-best-gets-mostly-better/

Reactions: v0lume4

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
one REDDIT Poster had this to say for #ColorGate

Pixel 2 vs your current phone

I thought it would be good to jot down a couple of quick observations between the Pixel 2 (mine is XL) and my current phone - Huawei Mate 9.

1. Size: Even though both phones have the same screen size, Mate 9 seems to be wider and taller. The back of the Pixel feels nicer and easier to hold. The Mate 9 is a slab of metal and very slippery.

2. Bezels man, bezels. The Mate 9 is a 2016 phone, but not only are the top and bottom bezels slimmer, the side bezels are ridiculously thinner than the Pixel 2 XL.

3. Screen: Even though the Mate 9 has an LCD 1080p screen, the colors are punchier. The Mate 9 screen seems to come alive unlike the Pixel. Lowest brightness is the same as the Pixel, but at the highest setting, the Mate 9 is noticeably brighter. Grain on the Pixel XL 2 scree is even visible on white backgrounds. It looks like texture in the background and we can learn to ignore it, but just know it is there. Also tilting the screen a few degrees gives the screen a blue tint, last time I saw something like this was on my Galaxy S2. Another noticeable distortion is a darker 2 mm band that runs along the edge of the screen when you look at the phone from an angle. This band is darker than the blue tint on the screen. I don't know if it is just my unit or it is a design flaw.

4. Night Mode: Google's implementation is really nice. The reds are uniform and the transition is very smooth. The Mate 9 on the other hand feels very jarring. The Night Mode shifts through various hours of red for no apparent reason, and I have seen this happen in other Mate 9s as well.

5. Performance: Man, this is where I was really surprised. I expected the Pixel to outclass the Mate 9 but speed and responsiveness were only marginally better. What is even more remarkable is that my Mate 9 was reset 3 months ago and is loaded with apps. I was using it all day and it was still keeping up with a Pixel XL fresh out of the box. I know benchmarks don't mean much and only tell one side of the story, but I ran Geekbench 4 and here are the results. Pixel 2 XL: https://imgur.com/a/wcMjB Mate 9: https://imgur.com/a/CgYuR. The difference as I said is marginal and barely noticeable.

6. Audio: The Mate 9 has bottom firing speakers and audio was crispier than the Pixel 2. The Pixel though was more well rounded and provided very nice immersive sound when videos are seen in landscape.

7. Fingerprint: Both devices unlocked very quickly and I didn't see any noticeable difference between of them.

8. Camera: OMG! Phenomenal performance and Google hit it out of the park with the software.

I feel the device is more like a $500 phone with a ridiculously amazing camera. Sink $930 on this or wait it out for a few months and pick it up for $500 on swappa? That is where the S8 Plus is now currently. Overall, it doesn't feel like a big upgrade for me, the Mate 9 ain't that bad. Here is a picture of my puppy with the Mate 9 dual camera setup: https://m.imgur.com/ph1kqQe. I really want to like the Pixel 2 XL and I will give it a shot.

Let me know what you guys think about your current phone vs the Pixel 2. I'll constantly update this post as I make more observations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77aj7q/pixel_2_vs_your_current_phone/

Reactions: dch_neo17

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017

I thought it would be good to jot down a couple of quick observations between the Pixel 2 (mine is XL) and my current phone - Huawei Mate 9.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77aj7q/pixel_2_vs_your_current_phone/
So that redditor is me. This also happened to the Pixel 2 XL screen a few minutes afterwards. #pandagate anyone?
dd6f2c18ab2985c799cec4d6494b2725.jpg

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

This was already posted on the previous page. Did you miss it or are you saying the guy on here copied it from Reddit?

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
So that redditor is me. This also happened to the Pixel 2 XL screen a few minutes afterwards. #pandagate anyone?
dd6f2c18ab2985c799cec4d6494b2725.jpg

Wow and things seem to get worst. I wonder will this get as bad as the quality control issues with the Pixel C tablet.
[doublepost=1508386523][/doublepost]
This was already posted on the previous page. Did you miss it or are you saying the guy on here copied it from Reddit?

I missed it.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
We’ve got two 2XLs coming to the house. That should give us a decent idea of how the lottery will work for us. If one is good and one is a dud, I’ll chance an exchange on the dud. If both are duds, I’ll get the little Pixel 2. If that’s a dud, I’ll just keep exchanging until I get a decent one that is evenly lit and not aqua or some other tint or an uneven blotchy tint that would trigger my migraines. My husband isn’t willing to take a smaller Pixel but I am fine with the idea.

Well I wish you good luck in getting one with a good display after the problems you've had with your pink on your screen. I know the feeling of playing the lottery. I've had so many problems in the past with iPhones and iMacs -- going through multiple exchanges and feeling embarrassed after repeated exchanges. It's not *our* fault we are delivered devices with issues and have to exchange.

I think I'm going to try and hold out at least a few weeks and see how it goes for you and others on the forum before diving in.

Have you decided on a skin to order for it? I've about decided I'll stick with a Spigen Thin Fit case rather than a skin, if I get the 2 XL.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Did you get it to go away?
I had to hit the power but a couple of times to make it go away. The corner banding is pretty bad and adaptive brightness is very jarring - it jumps in intensity very quickly. Another poster on Reddit also has the same issue with adaptive brightness, do I don't think it is just my unit.

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Well I wish you good luck in getting one with a good display after the problems you've had with your pink on your screen. I know the feeling of playing the lottery. I've had so many problems in the past with iPhones and iMacs -- going through multiple exchanges and feeling embarrassed after repeated exchanges. It's not *our* fault we are delivered devices with issues and have to exchange.

I think I'm going to try and hold out at least a few weeks and see how it goes for you and others on the forum before diving in.

Have you decided on a skin to order for it? I've about decided I'll stick with a Spigen Thin Fit case rather than a skin, if I get the 2 XL.
I have the Spigen thin fit on, and it fits snuggly. The texture on the back is a little smooth though, so it could slip.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I had to hit the power but a couple of times to make it go away. The corner banding is pretty bad and adaptive brightness is very jarring - it jumps in intensity very quickly. Another poster on Reddit also has the same issue with adaptive brightness, do I don't think it is just my unit.

Are you noticing any loss of detail in blacks and shadows in pictures. I compared my S8 against a 2 XL on display at Verizon last night and noticed when viewing the same photos on both there was a loss of detail in shadows. I mean the pictures looked darker on the 2 XL and you couldn't see some details that were clear and bright on my S8.
[doublepost=1508386946][/doublepost]
I have the Spigen thin fit on, and it fits snuggly. The texture on the back is a little smooth though, so it could slip.

Does it feel better with the Thin Fit than using without a case at all? I currently have the Thin Fit for my S8 so I'm used to it's feeling.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Wow and things seem to get worst. I wonder will this get as bad as the quality control issues with the Pixel C tablet.
[doublepost=1508386523][/doublepost]

I missed it.
I'm seriously considering retuning the phone at this point, it is super aggravating to spend $1000 and get a phone like this. Made by LG should have been a red flag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.