Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Yeah....we take Vlad seriously when he says

Yet we have most reviews that praise the screen......
Even side by side pictures and DxO reviews about the camera yet Vlad hated everything about the Pixel 2 XL?
Even Dieter Bohn from the Verge liked the 2XL
[doublepost=1508351521][/doublepost]
Naw.....it was Vlad doing a hatchet job....the screen was fine for Dieter Bohn from the Verge....

My intent is posting the article above was simply to pull out the quote from Google regarding the colors on-screen. I hope that the folks here don't hone in too much to the meat of the article. As you said, does this sound serious and objective?
But a screen that makes me scream every time I have to look at it?
[doublepost=1508352057][/doublepost]
They should have used the same panel of the Pixel 2 in the XL.
The panel isn't the issue, I think. Some folks on Reddit have received their 2 XL's today and seem happy with the screen. It's just the colors that people are noticing (which, if you read in one of my above posts, were apparently done by design).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I disagree...Samsung is never first.....Bixby? Duplicate apps? Curved display that no one else is following because it doesn't make sense. It almost feels like they are doing that just to differentiate themselves for brand recogitation.
People will be amazed at the display on the Note 8...i know I am. But then when they actually start to use it the display amazement wears off.
The FPS is in a horrible location...no one can defend that decision. You might have gotten used to it...but it is still bad design.
Camera...again Pixel wins. Google even has its on SoC for camera processing that is being utilized. The best camera on a smartphone is doing it with software that can be updated.....you can't do that with hardware based camera features.
The only thing i wish the Pixel 2 had is wireless charging and maybe an SD Card

Yep as nice as the Note 8 is, and as much as I'm complaining about the XL2, I'd take the XL2 ANY day of the week over the Note 8. Although I've decided not to take either of them!!
[doublepost=1508352896][/doublepost]
Enjoy the notch

Meh, the notch gets overrated in how bad it is. It serves a good function, which is to include the status bar on the sides and thus saving valuable screen real estate. Plus the X has no bottom bezel unlike all the others including Samsung, LG, Google, etc. So once you add back the bottom bezel and status bar space you realize how nice Apple's design is. My only gripe with the X is it will be way too narrow.

FYI I don't disagree that the notch actually looks terrible, but that's an easy software fix and Apple just needs to extend the black all the way to the sides.
[doublepost=1508352963][/doublepost]
Yeah....we take Vlad seriously when he says

Yet we have most reviews that praise the screen......
Even side by side pictures and DxO reviews about the camera yet Vlad hated everything about the Pixel 2 XL?
Even Dieter Bohn from the Verge liked the 2XL
[doublepost=1508351521][/doublepost]
Naw.....it was Vlad doing a hatchet job....the screen was fine for Dieter Bohn from the Verge....

I think it's ok for us here on the forums to use that kind of language when we are frustrated or disappointed in a phone. But for a reviewer with his credentials and website, it's not acceptable and not professional IMO.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Watch the iPhone X performance turn to garbage in about two years. :(

3 gb's of RAM is plenty for that OS. New processor will do most of the heavy lifting.

Yep as nice as the Note 8 is, and as much as I'm complaining about the XL2, I'd take the XL2 ANY day of the week over the Note 8. Although I've decided not to take either of them!!
[doublepost=1508352896][/doublepost]

Meh, the notch gets overrated in how bad it is. It serves a good function, which is to include the status bar on the sides and thus saving valuable screen real estate. Plus the X has no bottom bezel unlike all the others including Samsung, LG, Google, etc. So once you add back the bottom bezel and status bar space you realize how nice Apple's design is. My only gripe with the X is it will be way too narrow.

FYI I don't disagree that the notch actually looks terrible, but that's an easy software fix and Apple just needs to extend the black all the way to the sides.

The biggest key to assessing the notch? To USE it. Too many folks have come to too many conclusions pro or con on a phone that hasn't been released yet (myself included on occasion).

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I like to see people's opinions of phones but if I like the look of something (like the XL2), the only way I can decide if it's something I want is to really try it out for myself. I'm not going to cancel a pre order because people don't like certain aspects of it. Or because it could be hit or miss if I get an acceptable screen.

Worst case, I return it for a refund if I really don't like it. And as all my online purchases are made with a credit card, it'll have zero affect on my finances if that's the case.

I still can't wait to try it out and have my Note which I love if the Pixel isn't to be this year. And may as well still try to order an X as well!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm tempted to cancel the Panda and go for the 2 XL just for the flatter glass, lol. Looking at the reflections on that curved edge above me there reminds me of why I can't stand my S8+ edges. Reflections reflections reflections. I like the high dpi of the bigger Pixel, though. Oh well I've got a month to think it over.

I hope I can squeeze in another Verizon visit before my schedule gets ugly between now and ...jeezuz...Christmas. :confused: Good gracious my calendar looks ugly going into the holidays. :(

I wish the news on the Pixel displays were more consistently positive so that I could just look forward to the panda instead of wondering about a display lottery. Oh well as far as "-gates" go, this looks very minor. Simply return and try for a display that is very good if I get a funky one.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I disagree...Samsung is never first.....Bixby? Duplicate apps? Curved display that no one else is following because it doesn't make sense. It almost feels like they are doing that just to differentiate themselves for brand recogitation.
People will be amazed at the display on the Note 8...i know I am. But then when they actually start to use it the display amazement wears off.
The FPS is in a horrible location...no one can defend that decision. You might have gotten used to it...but it is still bad design.
Camera...again Pixel wins. Google even has its on SoC for camera processing that is being utilized. The best camera on a smartphone is doing it with software that can be updated.....you can't do that with hardware based camera features.
The only thing i wish the Pixel 2 had is wireless charging and maybe an SD Card

You even admit to the plethora of missing features on the Pixel 2 and XL. No wireless charging, no headphones jack, no s pen, black bars on youtube video on the XL version with no way to expand it out, no micro sd card slot, washed out display no matter how you defend it, no HDR video, and a plasticky none luxurious design for that price point. Compared to other phones, you are just buying it to have android Oreo and updates first. Cameras are good on every flagship device so that not a deciding factor either. May as well recommend a One plus 5.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
You even admit to the plethora of missing features on the Pixel 2 and XL. No wireless charging, no headphones jack, no s pen, black bars on youtube video on the XL version with no way to expand it out, no micro sd card slot, washed out display no matter how you defend it, no HDR video, and a plasticky none luxurious design for that price point. Compared to other phones, you are just buying it to have android Oreo and updates first. Cameras are good on every flagship device so that not a deciding factor either. May as well recommend a One plus 5.

I have to agree here. Only things that are really a plus to choose this devices are updates and ability to modify. My opinion.

Reactions: Kiezpirat80

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Cameras are good on every flagship device so that not a deciding factor either.

Yes, cameras are all really good on flagship devices but that doesn't mean they can't be a deciding factor if you'e someone (like me) who takes thousands of smartphone pictures a year. And I avoided Samsungs because of the front facing camera being poor compared to iPhones. Everyone has different wants & needs.

Reactions: tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Can you show where I mentioned a "plethora of missing features"? drama much?

I mentioned lack of wireless charging and SD Card. I don't use a headphone jack....i use BT headphones.
Hey listen you're the one that is a phone thread for a phone you don't like and have no intention of getting just to say something negative.
I usually try to avoid doing that but hey....maybe i should troll some other threads and start bashing them to make myself feel better about my choices huh...... sound familiar?

Pixel 2 XL has an better camera by a wide margin...and it will get better with software updates and the on board Google SoC gets utilized. But Hey if you want something inferior...but a Note 8.... go ahead try to down play the camera all yuo want...if the N8 had a better camera you would be touting that as a feature and you know it.....

Want security updates? Buy a Note 8....said no one ever.... when are you getting Oreo? Yeah...no one else knows either....

Display? Yep the Note 8 wins....but then you get a useless curve...what good is it again? Oh thats right it isn't good for anything except dead spots on the edges..... I know I have one!

Oh then that curved glass is soooo fragile.......most expensive phone to repair right. Phone forums threads are full of people with cracked S8 and N8 displays.

Oh let's talk about how the N8 has all kinds of duplicates app that are horrible.
Then there is BIXBY.......no need to say anything more....... another useless app running and taking up resources.
Then it has a stupid dedicated button that gets in everyones way.....

Now we come to the fingerprint scanner on the N8.....stupid design......it was a complete after thought on Samsung's part. When they could not get the FPS to work under the display....oh lets nest it up right next to the camera and make it the same shape. Perfect!
This on a phone that was already too narrow and too long....... face it they made too many poor design choices on the N8.

I'm buying the 2XL for the camera and software updates (OREO). Then more than anything else the user experience. Google gets it....they designed the Pixel 1 and 2 around the whole user experience.
Samsung is trying to copy that with Bixby and failing at it.....
Google is light years ahead on AI and the mobile experience. The Pixel 2 learns your useage the more you use it.

Reactions: tbayrgs and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
True that. And I would still take one over a Note 8 any day. Of course it helps I have an S8+ and an S7 Edge and a beautiful perfect unlocked S7 that I like best of all. I think I am kind of soaked in Samsungs!
[doublepost=1508359864][/doublepost]
Another bad panel.

Ok I admit I’d return that. I don’t do teal. I’d get an exchange.

I do prize accuracy and I don’t mind unsaturated but teal cast over everything is not accurate.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So I thought the release of the phone was today for a lot of people? No one on here got hold of one yet?

The reg sized is out here tomorrow :) but the XL isn't until mid November.

One thing I do love is the box the phone comes in. They're much smaller compared to last years and they look great! Funny how I get excited over phone packaging as well as the actual phone... I think they discuss this condition on page 6 of the book 'signs you know you're a phone addict'. It's the page before the 'new phone smell' section... :D

Reactions: 5105973 and v0lume4

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

OnePlus is a garbage company.

Know what we use on our phones by a much larger margin than any of the items you list?

The OS.

Stock optimized with the hardware promises an extraordinary user experience, and one that holds up over the life of the phone.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So I thought the release of the phone was today for a lot of people? No one on here got hold of one yet?

The reg sized is out here tomorrow :) but the XL isn't until mid November.

One thing I do love is the box the phone comes in. They're much smaller compared to last years and they look great! Funny how I get excited over phone packaging as well as the actual phone... I think they discuss this condition on page 6 of the book 'signs you know you're a phone addict'. It's the page before the 'new phone smell' section... :D

Fedex says my delivery day is today but it was still a few states away this morning. The fact it hasn't reached my location distribution center yet means it won't be getting here today. So it'll be tomorrow. It's weird fedex still has the delivery date as today though, they are usually pretty good about those estimates, especially since the package has already been moving from it's origin.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Fedex says my delivery day is today but it was still a few states away this morning. The fact it hasn't reached my location distribution center yet means it won't be getting here today. So it'll be tomorrow. It's weird fedex still has the delivery date as today though, they are usually pretty good about those estimates, especially since the package has already been moving from it's origin.

Ive had them make a delivery attempt late into the night because of the delivery estimate. Item went into “Out for delivery” at 1PM.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I think we're dealing with two different issues here.

1) There is a genuine issue with some of the displays. I don't believe the one I looked at last night had this issue with colors that is on Vlad's unit. However, the first one I looked at I did feel had a bluish tint to it, and I posted that here after seeing it.

2) Google used natural colors and some people are used to and prefer more vibrant colors. However, I still don't find it fair or accurate to call it dull because it's not a limitation of the screen -- it's the way the software is programmed. Considering it supports 100% of the P3 gamut -- just like the Note 8 -- if you actually were to pull up content created in a wider gamut it should look identical to how it would on the Note 8.

Personally, I just don't feel like spending money on something with these issues. Even as much as I want to be on stock Android, I just don't trust it with all of these V30 and 2 XL known technical issues.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I suppose if you have a hard-on for the best top display #1 screen, the the Note 8 is your only choice.

But you give up a lot going with a Galaxy phone. It sure the heck is not running stock Android that's for sure. If your ok with that UI then get it.

But battery life on the Note 8 I hear is just ok, not great, not bad. Whereas the Pixel 2 XL has phenomenal battery life, plus it runs the smoothest Android OS

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Does anybody know if the new calendar widget on the home screen can pull from multiple accounts? I have a personal account and a work account so I’m curious if I could have it display both or if I would be limited to just one account.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I think we're dealing with two different issues here.

1) There is a genuine issue with some of the displays. I don't believe the one I looked at last night had this issue with colors that is on Vlad's unit. However, the first one I looked at I did feel had a bluish tint to it, and I posted that here after seeing it.

2) Google used natural colors and some people are used to and prefer more vibrant colors. However, I still don't find it fair or accurate to call it dull because it's not a limitation of the screen -- it's the way the software is programmed. Considering it supports 100% of the P3 gamut -- just like the Note 8 -- if you actually were to pull up content created in a wider gamut it should look identical to how it would on the Note 8.

Personally, I just don't feel like spending money on something with these issues. Even as much as I want to be on stock Android, I just don't trust it with all of these V30 and 2 XL known technical issues.
Great points. I agree with both.

I've actually learned a lot from your posts over the past fews days regarding color accuracy and Android Oreo's individually managed app color profiles. I appreciate all of the information you've shared.

I definitely don't blame you on being reluctant to lay down money on a product that may or may not end up being a dud. I certainly am a little concerned, and it makes it all the more difficult having to wait until mid November to find out how my particular unit stacks up. The particular color "issues" that I have noticed in person strictly are in regards to the dullness (read: calibrated color accuracy) of the screens, so at least I haven't noticed any crazy bad issues like color banding or the crazy "color shift" some folks are talking about. And you mentioned the V30 -- the two that I have looked at this week look terrific. I even pulled up a gray screen on one of them and noticed no banding whatsoever -- clearly the issue effects some but not all units.

If you have the budget, I personally don't think you have much to lose by ordering a 2XL for yourself just to try it for a week or so, since you can always return it. But that's up to you.

I shall continue to pine away until mid November. Cheers. :p

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
I thought it would be good to jot down a couple of quick observations between the Pixel 2 XL and my current phone - Huawei Mate 9.

1. Size: Even though both phones have the same screen size, Mate 9 seems to be wider and taller. The back of the Pixel feels nicer and easier to hold. The Mate 9 is a slab of metal and very slippery.

2. Bezels man, bezels. The Mate 9 is a 2016 phone, but not only are the top and bottom bezels slimmer, the side bezels are ridiculously thinner than the Pixel 2 XL.

3. Screen: Even though the Mate 9 has an LCD 1080p screen, the colors are punchier. The Mate 9 screen seems to come alive unlike the Pixel. Lowest brightness is the same as the Pixel, but at the highest setting, the Mate 9 is noticeably brighter. Grain on the Pixel XL 2 scree is even visible on white backgrounds. It looks like texture in the background and we can learn to ignore it, but just know it is there. Also tilting the screen a few degrees gives the screen a blue tint, last time I saw something like this was on my Galaxy S2. Another noticeable distortion is a darker 2 mm band that runs along the edge of the screen when you look at the phone from an angle. This band is darker than the blue tint on the screen. I don't know if it is just my unit or it is a design flaw.

4. Night Mode: Google's implementation is really nice. The reds are uniform and the transition is very smooth. The Mate 9 on the other hand feels very jarring. The Night Mode shifts through various hours of red for no apparent reason, and I have seen this happen in other Mate 9s as well.

5. Performance: Man, this is where I was really surprised. I expected the Pixel to outclass the Mate 9 but speed and responsiveness were only marginally better. What is even more remarkable is that my Mate 9 was reset 3 months ago and is loaded with apps. I was using it all day and it was still keeping up with a Pixel XL fresh out of the box. I know benchmarks don't mean much and only tell one side of the story, but I ran Geekbench 4 and here are the results. Pixel 2 XL: https://imgur.com/a/wcMjB Mate 9: https://imgur.com/a/CgYuR. The difference as I said is marginal and barely noticeable.

6. Audio: The Mate 9 has bottom firing speakers and audio was crispier than the Pixel 2. The Pixel though was more well rounded and provided very nice immersive sound when videos are seen in landscape.

7. Fingerprint: Both devices unlocked very quickly and I didn't see any noticeable difference between of them.

8. Camera: OMG! Phenomenal performance and Google hit it out of the park with the software.

I feel the device is more like a $500 phone with a ridiculously amazing camera. Sink $930 on this or wait it out for a few months and pick it up for $500 on swappa? That is where the S8 Plus is now currently. Overall, it doesn't feel like a big upgrade for me, the Mate 9 ain't that bad. Here is a picture of my puppy with the Mate 9 dual camera setup: https://m.imgur.com/ph1kqQe. I really want to like the Pixel 2 XL and I will give it a shot.

Let me know what you guys think about your current phone vs the Pixel 2. I'll constantly update this post as I make more observations.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.