Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Here is another Reddit posters Pixel XL 2 screen having another strange issue. Buyers Beware....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ihTw1ImISBNnFKbFhVQUctVzQ/view

Screen burn in already? Pixel 2 XL (PROOF)

Received the phone earlier this morning, and under 24hrs, screen burning formed and then the panel went crazy for a bit, which I luckily got on camera as well. Defective device? Or an inevitable disease spreading through all units?

Note: It kicked in within an hour of activating night light, but toggling it off and restarting did not solve the issue. Damn me for trying this "feature" before bed.

Photo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ihTw1ImISBbHF4Z2dMMzI2YzA/view?usp=drivesdk

Video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ihTw1ImISBNnFKbFhVQUctVzQ/view?usp=drivesdk

And I thought the USB c audio dongle was bad enough...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77bw9a/aux_sucks/

What to do now? Return? Replace? Throw at the wall?

Edit: It's getting crazier...Another video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ihTw1ImISBanRhNVREbFdUWms/view?usp=drivesdk

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77dde2/screen_burn_in_already_pixel_2_xl_proof/
Okay, I really have to question your intentions here. We all know very well I could go through Reddit and Android Central and even go up to Best Buy and snap pictures myself of Note 8’s and S8’s and S8+ having issues and problems and lag. I’ve looked at the links you’ve posted and even the people having the issues are not panicking, like the guy with the problem connecting his Pixel to his car’s audio system. You’re spreading FUD here and what’s worse, you’re succeeding in creating a climate of panic in this thread and it seems it is contributing to people canceling preorders. Since I am not Google and it’s not my horse to race, I don’t care. People here are adults and can make up their own minds.

But I do question why you’re so hellbent on spreading bad news in this thread. And I’ve seen you slagging off the IPhones, too, and acting like the Rene Ritchie of Samsungs. Again, it’s an open forum and that’s your business if the moderators allow it. But why aren’t you more focused on Samsung in the Samsung topics?

I appreciate it if you’re trying to help us be more informed but that’s not how you seem to be approaching it. The intensity and delight you seem to take in finding and posting every single incident of someone having even the tiniest of problems or negativity to the new phones makes me wonder what is up with all of this that you’re doing. I get that you love Samsungs but dude, really...smh.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Oh now he posted 2 reddit posts.... I wonder how many we could find with problems with the Note 8s?

Its a pixel thread. People are buying a new device and should be well informed. When galaxy s8 had red tint issues, they were well informed. You rather people purchase a defected product, I say no.....

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, I really have to question your intentions here. We all know very well I could go through Reddit and Android Central and even go up to Best Buy and snap pictures myself of Note 8’s and S8’s and S8+ having issues and problems and lag. I’ve looked at the links you’ve posted and even the people having the issues are not panicking, like the guy with the problem connecting his Pixel to his car’s audio system. You’re spreading FUD here and what’s worse, you’re succeeding in creating a climate of panic in this thread and it seems it is contributing to people canceling preorders. Since I am not Google and it’s not my horse to race, I don’t care. People here are adults and can make up their own minds.

But I do question why you’re so hellbent on spreading bad news in this thread. And I’ve seen you slagging off the IPhones, too, and acting like the Rene Ritchie of Samsungs. Again, it’s an open forum and that’s your business if the moderators allow it. But why aren’t you more focused on Samsung in the Samsung topics?

I appreciate it if you’re trying to help us be more informed but that’s not how you seem to be approaching it. The intensity and delight you seem to take in finding and posting every single incident of someone having even the tiniest of problems or negativity to the new phones makes me wonder what is up with all of this that you’re doing. I get that you love Samsungs but dude, really...smh.

Couldn't agree more. It's like those headlines that are all dramatic just to throw people into a tizzy.

Reactions: jamezr

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

But I do question why you’re so hellbent on spreading bad news in this thread. And I’ve seen you slagging off on the IPhones, too, and acting like the Rene Ritchie of Samsungs. Again, it’s an open forum and that’s your business if the moderators allow it. But why aren’t you more focused on Samsung in the Samsung topics?

You go ahead and do that. I already stated info about the red tint issues of the s8 and stutters. You are defending a defected pixel xl 2 device and mad because I give the facts. You rather I not give people informative information. You want them to buy at there own risk, a washed out fuzzy wuzzy grainy dull display.

Only the people who are truly obsessed with buying this phone or have already purchased it have Made excuses like yours.....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Very well said and articulated! I think his intentions are clear to everyone at this point.
[doublepost=1508423136][/doublepost]
Setting up my fresh new Pixel 2!
WooHoo! congrats! Look forward to reading your thoughts :)

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014

Attachments

• 09E58FFA-E99A-40F4-99B5-589DDC0DF240.jpeg
    09E58FFA-E99A-40F4-99B5-589DDC0DF240.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
You go ahead and do that. I already stated info about the red tint issues of the s8 and stutters. You are defending a defected pixel xl 2 device and mad because I give the facts. You rather I not give people informative information. You want them to buy at there own risk, a washed out fuzzy wuzzy grainy dull display.

Only the people who are truly obsessed with buying this phone or have already purchased it have Made excuses like yours.....

I fixed your sig for you.

SPEAK THE TRUTH....current Samsung enthusiast who is hell bent on trashing Pixel 2 ;);););)

Samsung's Genius Line: Galaxy Note 8 (THE BEAST), DeX Station and 27 in Quantum Dot Samsung Monitor, Samsung TabPro S Gold, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Galaxy Tab S3

I be trollin.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I usually like Jon Rettinger but did NOT like his Pixel 2 review. Too negative. It seems like he already made up his mind and will be getting the X next month. Going to wait for my boy, Michael Fisher.

I prefer matte finishes on the back whether plastic or metal over all-glass. Pixel 2 seems to be the only flagship to offer a mostly matte finish. It's not all about the fingerprints that glass attracts but how it feels in my hand. I don't like stickiness. Matte finish just feels better and more natural to me.

I wash my hands alot during the day carrying food and soda for work. If I put a screen protector, I still wouldn't like it. I tried liking iPhone 4 and S7 edge and I could never get into how both felt in my hand although both were beautiful. Putting it in a case would defeat the purpose of that beautiful design too.

Every top flagship seems to have all-glass rears this year whether from U11 to Note8. The Pixel 2's upper glass isn't so in-your-face and antenna lines is hidden under that coating. More like the glass strips of the iPhone 5 series. Matte coating in plastic is like my LG G5 which looks clean most of the time.

I will check Pixel 2 XL once Verizon opens up later today. I am already free from Verizon after paying off the first Pixel so I can start another line again if I wanted. My biggest concern is since I no longer have a Windows PC, this Pixel won't be recognized on my Mac again.

Everything about this phone seems almost perfect (for me). Mostly a matte rear finish unlike all the sticky icky all-glass rears. Black front this time. No camera hump. No notch. Cheaper than the X. Fast. Fluid. Water-resistance. Great camera. Loud dual front speakers. Could sacrifice losing headphone jack since everything else is ace.

I really have to give credit to Google's HDR+ post-processing algorithms. They really figured it out while trying to develop Google Glass. Their Google Photos compression reminds me of Peter Piper in HBO's Silicon Valley. Excellent with no noticeable loss in quality from the naked eye.

Algorithms. Google nailed it.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017

I think people are upset getting a defective screen after spending a $1000 dollars. Also the the hype this phone had was enormous so a lot of disappointment stems from there as well.

Reactions: deany and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Be nice, Jamesrick80. I’m not mad. Yet. Honey you’ve never seen me mad. I wouldn’t get mad over something like this. Child abuse and animal abuse and bullying make me mad. People acting entitled and harming other people to get their way, like a woman my age who ought to know better than to try and speed through a parking lot sticking her head out the car window and yelling at pedestrians for not getting outta her way makes me mad. And when I got mad at that hag, trust me, people knew. People inside of the grocery came out to see me in all my blazing glory of mad. So it goes when a Southern raised lady with German-Irish and Asian Pacific blood gets riled.

No. I’m not mad. You’d know it for sure if I was, because your screen would melt from the heat of my blistering words. But I think you are mad, or at least a bit irked, because you’ve lost your reasoning skills if you think I am defending the Pixel based on what I’ve said in that post.

I fully acknowledge there are some consistent flaws and defects showing up. That is, as many have pointed out, not unusual early in a release. IPhone 7 Plus had many that I fortunately avoided in getting mine in December.

It’s unfortunate but not unheard of for these things to happen. But so far there have been plenty of perfectly acceptable units reported on, as @jamezr has pointed out, to balance out the concerns and have hope of getting a device in which all is well.

I don’t blame some folks for dropping out. If it’s going to be their only phone or daily driver, or if the return process would be a hardship, it is quite sensible to wait and see how things shake out.

What I was calling you out on was not an effort to keep us informed. It was the intensity at which you’re approaching the endeavor that concerned me. It’s not an approach of reason and balance. That’s not the demeanor or vibe you’ve been giving off in this thread, I’m sorry to have to say that. Trust me, I’m trying to treat you with the utmost respect due a fellow forum member. My mama raised a lady and I try very hard to reflect well on her.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I have no issues with people posting about display issues, I think it is helpful and there are people here on both sides. Some have no issues with, and some have serious issues with it. Seems to mimic the reviews and what current users are saying. I have one on preorder to deliver next week, and am pretty concerned about the display. I appreciate the posting on all sides as it keeps users more informed.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think people are upset getting a defective screen after spending a $1000 dollars. Also the the hype this phone had was enormous so a lot of disappointment stems from there as well.
That’s quite understandable. And I appreciate your taking the time to come here and register and share your experience. Welcome to the forum, by the way. I’m sorry your Pixel is a hot mess. I’m hoping the two we have got coming to us will be okay but if they’re not, we can’t say we weren’t aware it could happen. Just in case, I’ve made sure Google has a way of initiating online returns so I don’t end up stuck in a situation like I did with my last phone that had a typical preorder period defect.

Preordering is always a calculated risk. We all would like to think it shouldn’t be, at these prices especially, but the hard cold reality is that all of these intricate devices are prone to some form of problem or another.

It doesn’t seem to matter if the manufacturer is as practiced and experienced and established as Apple or as green as Essential, poop is going to happen.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
That’s quite understandable. And I appreciate your taking the time to come here and register and share your experience. Welcome to the forum, by the way. I’m sorry your Pixel is a hot mess. I’m hoping the two we have got coming to us will be okay but if they’re not, we can’t say we weren’t aware it could happen. Just in case, I’ve made sure Google has a way of initiating online returns so I don’t end up stuck in a situation like I did with my last phone that had a typical preorder period defect.

Preordering is always a calculated risk. We all would like to think it shouldn’t be, at these prices especially, but the hard cold reality is that all of these intricate devices are prone to some form of problem or another.

It doesn’t seem to matter if the manufacturer is as practiced and experienced and established as Apple or as green as Essential, poop is going to happen.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm very enthusiastic about the device and will try to make it work. I've spoken to support and they are having the phone run on safe mode for 24 hours to replicate the issue. Also, I know someone who works at Google and they are escalating my complaints to the pixel hardware group. They said they already received similar complaints and are looking into it, but my panda screen was the first they saw. Hopefully they will soon have a resolution that will help all of us.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

Yeah. I always play the screen lottery with Apple's phones. I never seem to get a good unit. My 6 needed exchanging three times. With my iPad, one unit had uneven whites,another had a speck of dust under the screen while the third was perfect. My iPhone 7 Plus is the only Apple device I have which was perfect on the first try. My Nexus 7 and 5 had extremely good displays (The Nexus 7 display was better than the competing iPad at that time!) so I am surprised Google just cant get the display part figured out on their Pixels. I would love to return if they just put in a good panel. I loved tinkering with ROMs on my Nexus

Reactions: 5105973

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This is just information overload at this point. People are looking for things that are wrong. In that post they are comparing it to a Moto X Pure from 2015. I wonder how many things we could find wrong with the Moto X pure screen if we tried? It's all tradeoffs. No phone will have everything perfect. So this moto x pure has nice blacks but probably crap for everything else. I'll take my chances with a 2017 Pixel 2.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
This is just information overload at this point. People are looking for things that are wrong. In that post they are comparing it to a Moto X Pure from 2015. I wonder how many things we could find wrong with the Moto X pure screen if we tried? It's all tradeoffs. No phone will have everything perfect. So this moto x pure has nice blacks but probably crap for everything else. I'll take my chances with a 2017 Pixel 2.

Yeah I'd take a chance too, but the picture is alarming.
It looks like a faulty display to me. If my phone did that it would be going back.
It's not really 'trade offs' either. A trade off for me is getting a phone with a slightly worse camera than the competition because I like the design more, or the phone with not so good battery because I like something else more. This screen complaint (and I am only referring to the normal Pixel 2 here) is not a tradeoff (for me), it is unacceptable if it proves to be widespred.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
You know, up till this point in the morning I was looking forward to this device, to give another chance with possibly using a Nexus / Pixel device as an actual daily driver instead of having an inconsistent and problematic issues that make me end up buying another device and using the Nexus / Pixel device as nothing more then a glorified pocket tablet on wifi because I don't trust the thing to the most basic of tasks, like sending text messages.

Couple that with I still haven't been charged and I've waited and put other purchases on hold.

Then seeing the new issues pop up.

I've been leary for a while, one reason I skipped the first gen because the bad luck and issues I've had with previous devices.

I don't know. Up to this morning I was sure, now I'm sitting on the fence about possibly canceling my pre order...

Why? Just get the phone and make up your own mind. You'll know pretty quickly if you don't like the screen.

Reactions: jamezr

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
With both Apple and Google pumping money into LG, the titans need LG in the game to keep Samsung in check. Hopefully, they can produce a proper good panel with no color shift or otherwise next time

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Oh now he posted 2 reddit posts.... I wonder how many we could find with problems with the Note 8s?

Funny you should mention, just for poops and giggles I pulled up the "Screen Test" app on my Note 8 and selected a white screen. Turned my phone side to side aaaaaaannnnnd....BLUE TINT! (BTW, I originally downloaded the screen test app on my S8 Plus because of the red hue issue...gee, so funny how that issue didn't "DOA" the S8 Plus.)

Not dramatic, not crazy, but now that I've seen it I can't completely unsee it. Doesn't bother me because I don't hold my phone at a friggin' angle to look at the screen but whatever. It sounds like there may be inconsistencies with some LG panels, maybe. The "dull" or "washed out" colors? That sounds like pure screen preference people are insisting is a problem. As someone pointed out, the same complaints were made about iPhone screens, and I've always found them to be BS.

Now I may have to get the phone to see for myself.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Funny you should mention, just for poops and giggles I pulled up the "Screen Test" app on my Note 8 and selected a white screen. Turned my phone side to side aaaaaaannnnnd....BLUE TINT! (BTW, I originally downloaded the screen test app on my S8 Plus because of the red hue issue...gee, so funny how that issue didn't "DOA" the S8 Plus.)

Not dramatic, not crazy, but now that I've seen it I can't completely unsee it. Doesn't bother me because I don't hold my phone at a friggin' angle to look at the screen but whatever. It sounds like there may be inconsistencies with some LG panels, maybe. The "dull" or "washed out" colors? That sounds like pure screen preference people are insisting is a problem. As someone pointed out, the same complaints were made about iPhone screens, and I've always found them to be BS.

Now I may have to get the phone to see for myself.
I think it is interesting that all the video reviewers that have shown the screen in their videos did not have these issues with the 2XL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.