Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Funny you should mention, just for poops and giggles I pulled up the "Screen Test" app on my Note 8 and selected a white screen. Turned my phone side to side aaaaaaannnnnd....BLUE TINT! (BTW, I originally downloaded the screen test app on my S8 Plus because of the red hue issue...gee, so funny how that issue didn't "DOA" the S8 Plus.)

Not dramatic, not crazy, but now that I've seen it I can't completely unsee it. Doesn't bother me because I don't hold my phone at a friggin' angle to look at the screen but whatever. It sounds like there may be inconsistencies with some LG panels, maybe. The "dull" or "washed out" colors? That sounds like pure screen preference people are insisting is a problem. As someone pointed out, the same complaints were made about iPhone screens, and I've always found them to be BS.

Now I may have to get the phone to see for myself.

You should definitely post a pic of this to one of the Reddit threads and link us to it. You might break the interwebz. :D

Reactions: 5105973

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
You should definitely post a pic of this to one of the Reddit threads and link us to it. You might break the interwebz. :D

I was actually thinking of grabbing my iPhone and videoing it to upload here but then remembered I just do not CARE to argue with anyone over this. If you have decided a phone sucks and want no part of it, I wish that would extend to your desire to participate in a thread dedicated to that phone. (Not YOU, the "you's" who hate the phone and want no part of it.)
[doublepost=1508427920][/doublepost]
I think it is interesting that all the video reviewers that have shown the screen in their videos did not have these issues with the 2XL.

The major complaint Im' seeing is the washed out colors. Again, that seems like a preference. People are used to the saturation on Samsung phones. Anything with a defective panel suggests a lemon, not a widespread issue. At least not yet. People need to understand what "small sample size" means.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
LOL...because if you see it on Reddit.....it's gotta be the truth and representative of the whole world....oh and then post it twice!
[doublepost=1508430185][/doublepost]Some people are posting pictures taken with the Pixel

271496d1508429364t-google-pixel-2-camera-shots-show-us-your-pictures-00000portrait_00000_burst20171019090754094_cover.jpg

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think that Google will soon release an update to "fix" the dull colors issue. They will give it the Samsung pop. Right now the vivid option only boosts saturation by like 10% so I think they do it by like 50% of something wild. And the issue of the blue when tilting won't be fixed in my opinion because I think it has to do with the polarizer that allows your phone to be easily viewed with polarized sunglasses.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
So setup was a breeze and I’ve started getting things put in place as I like them. The phone is as fast and fluid as advertised and the camera is awesome. Selfie portraits work after a camera update. The always listening is cool and was telling me song titles of what was on the radio in the Jeep. Can’t wait to see how hte battery settles in over the next few days. I had the OG XL but opted to go with the smaller 2 this time around as I really do prefer smaller devices, but battery life is important to me. I’m hoping the efficiences in Oreo and the 835 chip will help make this one a winner in battery life. If not then I may end up returning it in favor of the 2 XL. We’ll see.

Oh, and the zagg glass+ fits the smaller 2 with no halo!

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Droid-Life wrote an article about the display issues if you want to read.
https://www.droid-life.com/2017/10/19/pixel-2-xl-display-issues/

so, yes, there's some out there that have true issues and Google/LG needs to get that fixed, but mostly, it comes down to color accuracy (i.e. dullness used by some) vs vibrant and what people prefer or are used to. I turned on basic mode on my Note 8 yesterday to get my eyes "ready" for the Pixel 2 XL and it definitely looks "dull" and "washed out" compared to Adaptive Mode I've been used to since I got the phone. It's not wrong or bad, just what my eyes are used to.

Kellen's Takeway said:
I initially shared some thoughts on Twitter yesterday about this whole deal and still feel the same way for the most part. Basically, I’ve had the phone in my hand for a week and have used the sh*t out of it (7 hours SoT the other day!). While I certainly noticed the color shift to blue when the phone isn’t situated at the perfect viewing angle, I don’t know that I was offended at any time. I tend to like looking at my phones directly at all times, not at odd angles – call me a weirdo! Again, the blue tint shift is there and I don’t know that any Pixel 2 XL phone doesn’t have this issue, you just need to decide if it’s that big of a deal. To me, it’s not.

As for the less-than-punchy colors, I’m not seeing this as the ultimate dealbreaker either. And I say that because, again, I’ve been using the phone for more than a week and didn’t once say, “Man, the colors look terrible here and Google and LG should be ashamed and I don’t want this phone.” In fact, I thought to myself that the display looked fine and am only now seeing the huge difference since I’ve compared it to other phones while writing up this post. In other words, I don’t know that most people will care unless they are doing some deep dive display comparisons to their old phones or are a display freak. And it’s fine if you fall into that category, I just would think that most people will come away thinking this whole situation is fine.

If anything, I would hope that Google might give us back that sRGB toggle after this backlash. I have a good feeling about that fixing the color reproduction complaints. It won’t fix the blue tint, though.

Should you cancel your Pixel 2 XL pre-order? I don’t think so, no. At this point, you should receive that order, take the phone for a spin, and then decide if these problems are going to be dealbreakers. You can always return these things. In the end, you are still getting the best software experience and arguably the best camera in all of smartphones, stellar battery life, and 3 years worth of major software updates.

EDIT: Kellen also said on twitter: "If you ordered one, you are going to enjoy the sh** out of it. Because everything else is top notch. And dat camera."

Android Central now put out an article:
https://www.androidcentral.com/relax-about-pixel-2-xl-display

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Update: Google Technical Support reached out to me and agreed the panda screen was really weird and they want to look at the device personally. They are replacing it free of cost so hurray to that!
Often times, great customer support makes me end up being an even greater advocate of a company/device than me simply receiving a great device to begin with. Glad to hear they're making it right.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Good article on Android Central

Let's just relax about the Pixel 2 XL display
The readers comments are interesting too as some that have the 2XL don't have issue with the display.

And really, that last bit is super important. These "flaws" are, at their worst, non-issues for most people. If I turn the brightness on this phone down to the minimum and hand it to 10 random people to ask them what they think of the display, the answer will be "wow, that's a nice phone" nine out of 10 times. I know, because I did exactly that. (I was also wearing a lab coat at the time, so you know it was all totally legit.)
https://www.androidcentral.com/rela...mpaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
So far so good with my non XL pixel. Really liking the device so far, having an issue with my iPhone 7 sharing numbers with my Google account, but, it is minor.

Had to do the prerequisite tests I always run on my phones. Results more or less match what the web says should happen between this device and my iPhone 7. Happy overall with both phones.

95498342-4013-4A71-9583-7350613342A1.jpeg

As an added bonus, my Apple Watch 3 is working independently of the iPhone, and ATT Numbersync is staying active. Nice to be able to get iMessages still, when I am using one of my Android devices!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
can someone test battery and tell screen on time
This review details that around 5:25 mark. 8.5 hours screen on time for the Pixel 2 and a little under 9 for the 2 XL. Just prior to that, he talks about the smaller Pixel 2 having the same click noise issue on phone calls as the iPhone 8 has been having. He said it was not present on their larger 2 XL review units.

So it’s something to check out on your own devices but remember y’all, don’t panic. ;)

[doublepost=1508437361][/doublepost]I apologize in advance if I end up linking reviews that are already up. I’ve been multitasking all morning, switching between checking out stuff on Pixels and organizing a kid’s birthday party and other personal stuff. My eyes are practically crossed at this point.

Anyway this reviewer is not familiar to me but she is very thorough going over parts of the phone like mic placement that I didn’t even think to check out for myself, so I thought it was worth posting this even though I’ve only gotten about halfway through this long video. She got hold of two very nice looking Pixels. I have to be going so I’ll be viewing the rest of this later, myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: deany and jamezr

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
So far so good with my non XL pixel. Really liking the device so far, having an issue with my iPhone 7 sharing numbers with my Google account, but, it is minor.

Had to do the prerequisite tests I always run on my phones. Results more or less match what the web says should happen between this device and my iPhone 7. Happy overall with both phones.

View attachment 726239

As an added bonus, my Apple Watch 3 is working independently of the iPhone, and ATT Numbersync is staying active. Nice to be able to get iMessages still, when I am using one of my Android devices!

Are you keeping the iPhone as well? I think I read somewhere that the iPhone itself has to be turned on (but doesn't have to be near the watch) in order for messages to come to the AW3.

E: On topic, I just got my regular P2 today to compliment my 8+ and it is a joy to use. It feels a lot more "put together" than the original Pixels even though it still has the bezels. Lightning quick and awesome camera - the portrait mode on front and back with just one camera is incredible.

Reactions: 5105973 and v0lume4

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
And here we go...

freaking Fedex finally delivered. Setting up now. First impressions, I love the size! So far, colors and vibrancy are nice to my eyes and I don't see an issue there (at least from going through the setup, it's still copying over stuff from my Note 8). I will still reserve judgement once I've lived with the phone for a day or two. It does have a blue tint when viewed from an angle, but my Note 8 has a red/pink hue when viewed at an angle (shows up on the attached pic, display is on Basic Mode). Picture was taken with my iPad Pro 9.7", so it doesn't have the best camera in the world to truly capture "the moment".

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.