Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
And here we go...

freaking Fedex finally delivered. Setting up now. First impressions, I love the size! So far, colors and vibrancy are nice to my eyes and I don't see an issue there (at least from going through the setup, it's still copying over stuff from my Note 8). I will still reserve judgement once I've lived with the phone for a day or two. It does have a blue tint when viewed from an angle, but my Note 8 has a red/pink hue when viewed at an angle (shows up on the attached pic, display is on Basic Mode). Picture was taken with my iPad Pro 9.7", so it doesn't have the best camera in the world to truly capture "the moment".
I think i rather have the blue tint....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

That sucks. I was hoping this could be remapped somewhere down the line. Hoping still.

Because I really think it's redundant and is costing the user more side bezels than should need to be there. All for a feature that can be nearly just as easily accessed by long pressing the home button.

You really shouldn't be applying pressure to non-tactile surfaces on a smartphone. The only time I've seen it make any sense is in the S8/Note 8 "invisible" home button function.

Anyway, my Pixel 2 is waiting for me at home. Delivery confirmed. Can't wait.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Anyone with ATT able to get teathering to work? Support stated that since it is not an ATT phone, they have no commitment to support teathering or any “advanced” features.

Really bogus, because I have brought other devices to their network, and had them work fine. Really unhappy.

Are you keeping the iPhone as well? I think I read somewhere that the iPhone itself has to be turned on (but doesn't have to be near the watch) in order for messages to come to the AW3.

E: On topic, I just got my regular P2 today to compliment my 8+ and it is a joy to use. It feels a lot more "put together" than the original Pixels even though it still has the bezels. Lightning quick and awesome camera - the portrait mode on front and back with just one camera is incredible.

Actually the phone doesn’t need to be on the network for it to function, the only downside is it will not see or send SMS messages, but, I have the pixel to do that on.

I discovered how to do it before iMore did their post, but it is a good outline of how to use it.

https://www.imore.com/how-use-lte-apple-watch-android-smartphone

So stoked for everyone here that has been receiving their devices. Congratulations everyone. :)

@840quadra, if I recall correctly, you were posting here prior to the Pixel's release. Is this your first Android phone?

Not my first android phone or device, had the Shield android game device, then their tablet, and a few various Motorola phones. Recently had a Nexus 6P, but just decided to send that off to the ole folks at Swappa.

Reactions: 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Pixel 2 just showed up. Google isnt requiring a signature!!! Make sure you can pick it up or something.

unfortunately they don't let you re-direct the shipment either to a fedex facility. That's what I prefer to do, signature required or not. Mainly because it gets there first thing in the morning vs late afternoon at my house.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
unfortunately they don't let you re-direct the shipment either to a fedex facility. That's what I prefer to do, signature required or not. Mainly because it gets there first thing in the morning vs late afternoon at my house.

Yeah the Ontrac guy just set it on the porch and left. Only thing I heard was his scanner beep and a couple mins later got a delivery email.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Knew I should’ve just stopped reading this thread a long time ago.

I’ve succumbed to the forum ‘peer pressure’. Y’all are a terrible influence. ;)

439FE7F3-47A1-45CC-9B8A-0A4351AD9896.jpeg

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
When I drive, I always have Google maps (traffic routing) and Waze (boo cops) running. Usually Maps gives me directions from the background in the form of banners while Waze is always on screen. When I did the same today morning, maps immediately jumped to p-i-p. I didn't expect that to happen, but it is a very nice implementation!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
When I drive, I always have Google maps (traffic routing) and Waze (boo cops) running. Usually Maps gives me directions from the background in the form of banners while Waze is always on screen. When I did the same today morning, maps immediately jumped to p-i-p. I didn't expect that to happen, but it is a very nice implementation!
I think Google is really evolving the Pixel to have an all around unique user experience.
They are trying to blend their hardware and software to create something special. That is something Apple has been very good at for sometime as well.
Just about all the reviews i read said the Pixel provided a good all around user experience.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
I think Google is really evolving the Pixel to have an all around unique user experience.
They are trying to blend their hardware and software to create something special. That is something Apple has been very good at for sometime as well.
Just about all the reviews i read said the Pixel provided a good all around user experience.
The performance has been really good so far. There is no lag whatsoever, and this is very impressive when you look at memory intensive applications like Google Maps and Google Earth. I've had colleagues who always used iPhones and they couldn't believe this was an Android device. Android Oreo also has quick and smooth transitions that make iOS look dated.

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4 and 5105973

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

This is exactly what I’ve been craving from Google for years. I completely understand how many here prefer to build their own personal ‘ecosystem’ per se, independent of any singular manufacturer but I’ll admit that I love a good ecosystem to improve the synergies between devices.

If I have a Pixel, some Google Home devices, Android TV or Chromecast, and ‘Made by Google’ headphones or Pixelbuds, I want additional benefits that can be offered because Google is able to leverage their interoperability, especially with AI/Machine learning and how that can improve my Google Assistant experience. But that’s just me.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Checked out the black Pixel 2 XL and definitely looks better than last year's. Took a photo and it was good but similar to ones I took from my Pixel 1. Could only check it out for 2 min because the dude was just standing there. Couldn't dump it in water or check the dual speakers.

I swear the employees at Verizon (Brea & Yorba Linda) I go to have no personalities. It's like being in a Chinese restaurant. So pushy for me to eat fast and pay fast. Unlike the ones at T-Mobile (YL, Orange) where I have a nice chat and fist bump like I'm a Lyft driver.

I'm going to have to pick iPhone X for two reasons -

Pixels can't be recognized on Mac/Android File Transfer and its size.

Both are so imperfect. iPhone X has the better size (5" Pixel dimensions) but heavy like my V20 and glass rears. Pixel 2 XL looks more stealth with a matte rear I prefer far more, but too tall and a tad too wide.

If I got the Pixel 2 XL, I would have to give up my titan V20 to make room for the holster case. I told myself hell no! V20 is actually a better phone than G6, V30, and both generations of Pixels.

Removable battery
IR blaster (I use this every single day)
Second display with my signature and my country flag on there
FM radio
Matte metal rears feels nicer

Like Kim Kardashian-West who would go on eBay to bid on every BlackBerry Bold 9900 she can find because she is a BB keyboard fanatic. I would scour the Earth to find every removable battery to power up both my G5 and V20. I want both to power up until my dying days.

It's like that film, The Book of Eli. Denzel needed a new battery for his third gen iPod. I never want to lose the last two flagships with a flagship SoC to offer removable battery and IR blaster. Both with matte rears too. The G5 got the highest rating last year on iFixit with 8/10.

I will go with the iPhone X this year since iPhone turns 10. Then for next year, Pixel 3 when Android (founded in 2003 but released in 2008) turns 10 and G20GLE turns 20. My favorite design of 2017 actually goes to the BlackBerry KeyOne. If it only had Snapdragon 835, I would be all over it.

2017 - Happy birthday, 1Ph0ne
2018 - Happy birthday, G20GLE & Andr10d

My fantastic four would be two LGs and two Apples. Pixel 2 XL is still a lovely phone and most people would be extremely happy owning it. But my SE is feeling lonely and won't feel complete without "an" X at the end. ;)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm a big Nexus / Pixel fan, but this is pretty low from Google to do this;

http://phandroid.com/2017/10/19/pixel-2-pop-up-store-premium/

Google is drumming up interest in its latest Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices with a handful of pop-up stores in New York and Los Angeles. The Verge went hands-on with the pop-up store in Manhattan and discovered that every single model of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were jacked up by $30 bucks.

What’s worse is Google is selling the locked Verizon version of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL at these events.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
the note 8 tint in the picture I took isn't that bad in person but I also think basic mode exacerbates it. I just switched the note 8 back to adaptive and it's not as bad but definitely still there.
Mine was not consistent across the screen but is a sort of bezel unto itself. I think that’s what drove me to distraction about it the most. If it had been an overall even pink, I would be able to ignore it on forums and probably barely detect it on videos. Adaptive mode does get rid of it for me but I really had to slide those sliders around! I’m surprised yours shows so well in photos. My iPhone camera kept color correcting it out of my pictures!

Your Pixel looks great so far!

Congrats and best wishes to you and everyone else getting their new Pixels!
[doublepost=1508455589][/doublepost]

Google is drumming up interest in its latest Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL devices with a handful of pop-up stores in New York and Los Angeles. The Verge went hands-on with the pop-up store in Manhattan and discovered that every single model of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were jacked up by $30 bucks.

What’s worse is Google is selling the locked Verizon version of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL at these events.
Maybe that price reflects tax or some kind of fee they have to cover? Weird. I’m not too familiar with pop up stores. I’ve never seen one, myself.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is exactly what I’ve been craving from Google for years. I completely understand how many here prefer to build their own personal ‘ecosystem’ per se, independent of any singular manufacturer but I’ll admit that I love a good ecosystem to improve the synergies between devices.

If I have a Pixel, some Google Home devices, Android TV or Chromecast, and ‘Made by Google’ headphones or Pixelbuds, I want additional benefits that can be offered because Google is able to leverage their interoperability, especially with AI/Machine learning and how that can improve my Google Assistant experience. But that’s just me.

Wholeheartedly agree.....I think they are in a very unique position to leverage all the stuff they do and create and evolve synergies(i like your word there :) ) to create a very immersive user experience.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Why? The Pixel isn't designed to appeal to the root crowd.

As for the $30 surcharge, my guess is it goes towards labor costs.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Pixel 2:

Goodness the software is really a joy to use. Everything just clicks and makes sense. And smooth. So unbelievably smooth. Truly like butter. I think Android is leagues better than iOS, not just in features, but in overall smoothness, consistency, and design. Android runs, looks, and feels better than iOS.

But it's really a shame about this tiny screen and the large bezel design. After coming from an s8, it feels like you're looking at your content through a square port window. Everything is cramped, you see much less on a webpage (say what you will about the 18:9 aspect ratio but for web browsing, it's great for the extra content), and indeed the colors are flatter and more natural.

I'm not confident I can adjust to such a downgrade in screen experience, but gonna give it some time. The overall design really leaves a lot to be desired.

The camera is terrific so far. I can appreciate the more natural colors here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.