Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The normal 2 uses a Samsung display. Google...WHYYYYYY did you have to use LG for your most expensive phone. I mean, common sense tells you the Samsung display is going to be better as they've been making OLED's for phone for almost a decade, while LG is just really getting started.

Ya, Erica is great. Like you said, she actually calls out screen defects, where as every reviewer just screams "such an amazing display" only to have some ridiculous dark yellow tint somewhere on the display (I'm talking about iPhone screens).
Apple used up all of Samsung’s supply of good OLED panels of that size for the iPhone X.

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Oh man. I'm sure we can all name a few.

Yellow screen. Light bleed. Yellow-screen-that-disappears-after-a-week (from the iPad 2 days -- people were speculating that the unit was so recently produced that the glue hadn't sealed or something). Color gamut (iPad mini 2). Samsung chip, TSMC chip. Intel modem, Qualcomm modem.

^ And those were all Apple products.

Oh boy.
I've experienced so much of these discrepancies. It's going to be quite an uproar when the X comes out. No way will they all be created equally.

Reactions: v0lume4

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Zack totally roasted this phone...

:eek:

Okay so I just watched this and it was shocking to say the least.

WTF, Google!?
91bf7ce932bafd7c68d16c315d24fac0.jpg

May I just point out that Zack's JerryRigEverything was also what thoroughly explained why BlackBerry's KEYOne had screens falling out all over the place, and made it widely known that those who had this happen were not isolated cases.

His tests may seem a bit much but they thoroughly show where phones are weak and may fail hardware wise. Whether you take him seriously or not is up to you, but this guy has proven to know what he is talking about.

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well I think it's a definite that I no longer want this phone now. Either model.
Hearing y'alls reviews of the display just not being good in general is a real deal breaker, as I really love a great screen.
Like I say, my XZ Premium has a fantastic display so I'd be trading off too many things for simply a better camera and better software experience. And at this stage, I don't feel like I need that when the Sony still runs as well as when I first turned it on and takes great pics.

If I'm honest, I'm still partially tempted on the OG Pixel XL as I still like the design of the thing and it's still going to run better than most other Android's plus the camera remains fantastic. At the price it is now over here, it's very temping indeed for a stock Android Oreo experience.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The sRGB setting and blue screen from an angle explained (short video):

It may be the camera but even my 7 Plus display seems much more saturated than that. The chrome logo doesnt look like that on my iphone nor does the droid life pink colour

Last edited:
Reactions: deany

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
This is the best Android experience bar none. And performance is sick. I thought my Note 8 was fast. This is completely smoking it.

Wow, Google. Bravo. This thing runs like old school iOS.

Exactly what I'm seeing too. My note 8 is fast and has never had a hiccup or moment of lag, but this phone is just so much smoother and quick. Hard to explain but definitely noticeable!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It deserves it. What drop the headphone jack, and why do they continue not having MicroSD support. This is Android not iOS.

I still have to watch the video though

Anyway
iPhone 8 Plus vs. Pixel 2 XL Speedtest
The Pixel line will never get SD cards....Google has said they won't do them. Would love to have wireless charging next year.
I think Samsung will drop the headphone jack within 2 years......

RumorsReal

Suspended
Oct 13, 2017
Erica Griffin just recieved 2x Pixel 2 XL:

https://twitter.com/iAm_erica/status/921199883918258177
"Wow, the #PixelXL2 screen is crap. Grainy, issues with uniformity, just looks like 3 generations old oled to me.
Embarrasing Google, is the word for it. Just embarrassing."

DetroitBORG:
"Pixel 2 XL is such a hard one to reach a conclusion on, the display is garbage but the software and camera are fantastic.
My first thought is that it looked like the first gen Nexus, right down to the grain and blue shift."

Danny Winget‏:
"Ok. The Google Pixel 2 XL has the worst color shift in history. It’s damn near unusable. I am blown away by this.
I want to love this Pixel 2 XL so much. Love the feel. This Display is killing me."

Nearly all of my favorite YouTubers are very dissapointed with the screen, google has ruined a otherwise great phone :(

Cnet just did a review and it's camera isn't that great especially on videos vs the iPhone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Oreo is tremendous too. Although I still don't understand the point of the notification dots. They seem completely redundant with no real value add over the shade.
If i remember right on my OG Pixel XL the little blue shade dots were too small and too light a blue color. They need to be red and a little more noticeable.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Cnet just did a review and it's camera isn't that great especially on videos vs the iPhone.
The videos comparisons with the iPhone and Pixel 2 were pretty drastic that the Pixel 2 video was so much smoother. It had better video stabilization. The Pixel camera won by a large margin.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Oreo is tremendous too. Although I still don't understand the point of the notification dots. They seem completely redundant with no real value add over the shade.

I agree. I think I'll be turning that off soon. I also think Active Edge is redundant. I much rather hold the home button to activate the AI if I can't speak to it.

What's frustrating is that next year, Google will add wireless charging and I'm sure a better design.

Reactions: widgeteer

RumorsReal

Suspended
Oct 13, 2017
The videos comparisons with the iPhone and Pixel 2 were pretty drastic that the Pixel 2 video was so much smoother. It had better video stabilization. The Pixel camera won by a large margin.

No it didn't. Go watch the video.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Oh man. I'm sure we can all name a few. :p

Yellow screen. Light bleed. Yellow-screen-that-disappears-after-a-week (from the iPad 2 days -- people were speculating that the unit was so recently produced that the glue hadn't sealed or something). Color gamut (iPad mini 2). Samsung chip, TSMC chip. Intel modem, Qualcomm modem.

^ And those were all Apple products.

Oh boy.
I have lucked out on most of my devices in the past, and apparently recently too. The iPad Pro 10.5 screen (I am typing on now) is amazing for this type of device. All of my iPhones and google phones have been good. No complaints about my standard pixel 2 either.

Even though I am a photographer, I don’t see the point in getting caught up with screen PPI and such, I am more after color accuracy and even with good time using the Pixel 2, still like my iPhone 7 and 5S screen. I can’t say that I don’t see any differences, but it isn’t enough where I feel (some people) throw specs like that at others, as a huge factor in a device. Honestly, it really isn’t.

Been really happy that Android is starting to take color a bit more seriously with Oreo, and hope to extend my photography work into the pixel. It appears that cameras uploaded to Google Photos through the pixel (from my camera) do not count against my storage limits, and, that is huge for me. Honestly, it is the main (and hidden) feature about the pixel, that made me buy the new one.

I am on AT&T but don’t have the Pixel, yet. My husband’s is supposed to get here next week. AT&T doesn’t want to do anything unless they absolutely have to, and even then you have to go through about ten idiots before you find someone who actually knows how to do something and even then you may need to be passed around in a circle until they are willing to do it. The first batch of idiots won’t even understand what you’re asking for, they will just give an answer that is totally unrelated to the topic just so they can log in that they said something. This astounds me because I meet plenty of people on forums like this who claim to work for AT&T or other telcos and they seem very knowledgeable and intelligent and nice. I just don’t seem to bump into them much in the customer service labyrinth.

I did find a page stating that the Pixel 2 is pending support. So, I am hoping more people call in so ATT expedites getting this phone fully supported.

Just a frustrating state, as I wanted to teather my iPhone 7 and watch to the Pixel, so they could use cellular data through that device as opposed to my watch turning on cellular all the time.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The Pixel line will never get SD cards....Google has said they won't do them. Would love to have wireless charging next year.
I think Samsung will drop the headphone jack within 2 years......
Samsung don't drop something unless they really have to. I think it will take them a long time to drop it.

Why drop a feature that is genuinely useful? It makes no sense at all. I think Samsung will keep it until they genuinely see no point in it. The day they include Wireless headphones in the package they may drop the 3.5mm jack.

What I find hilarious is all these OEMs dropping the headphone jack yet not including BT Headphones in the package, lol. I got my Note8 with both BT Headphones and 3.5mm jack headphones, weird how that works, lol.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
All this back and forth is nonsense. Why don't both of you post the videos that you refer to, and let us all decide for ourselves?
Welll...they are easy to find...go to YouTube.......and search :)
Here is one for you...
Video stabilization and recording sound is so much better on the Pixel.

Reactions: phillytim

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Welll...they are easy to find...go to YouTube.......and search :)
Here is one for you...
Video stabilization and recording sound is so much better on the Pixel.

I get what you're saying, which is exactly why I asked you guys to post the videos. Because I'm sure there are many videos which paint each phone in a different light. This way we can see what you are referring to.

Reactions: Oohara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.