Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I agree. I think I'll be turning that off soon. I also think Active Edge is redundant. I much rather hold the home button to activate the AI if I can't speak to it.

What's frustrating is that next year, Google will add wireless charging and I'm sure a better design.

You know what? I hate to say this because I have enjoyed wireless charging but...it's so nice to have a back on my phone that isn't a greasy fingerprint magnet. Glass backs are pretty until you touch them. (Kudos to Apple, the silver 8 Plus barely shows anything.)
[doublepost=1508511947][/doublepost]
The review I'm most interested in is Ma Boy Floss. If he hollas at me that the screen is crap then it's the truth. Where you at Floss?

I love Floss but, like, all his phone reviews lately are "a major major major GO." Dude loved the most recent Motorola which everyone hated.
[doublepost=1508512619][/doublepost]My impressions of the XL 2 so far (I've only been using it since last night so YMMV...and mine too, at this point):

• Display. Not seeing what all the hype is about. It's fine. Good. Looks great in most situations. I own a Note 8, which is perfect and gorgeous and amazing...and the Pixel just doesn't strike me as *that* far off from it. Yes, I get blue tint if I turn it side ways. So basically you literally have to hold the phone wrong in order to get blue tint. I do not get any graininess nor banding. Last night I ran the new Star Wars trailer side by side with the Note 8. Other than screen size, I'll be damned if there was a big difference. Maybe I got lucky with my panel, no idea. I'm not going to tell anyone who is having a different experience that they're wrong. I will tell anyone who insists the panel is garbage that they're wrong however, because they are.
  • Industrial design is better than I initially gave it credit for. Bezels are fine. I HATE the ridge around the screen though. Not sure if it's there for the action squeeze but whatever the case, as I mentioned before, I know it's going to be a dust magnet. The back feels much better than I gave it credit for. I love the construction of my Note 8 but I cannot tell you how good it feels to have a phone with a grippy back again. The phone's weight is just right too.
  • Performance is SICK SICK SICK. It's not just fast, it flows. Whatever you're doing, whatever you want to do - boom boom boom. Apps just slide into the next. Multiwindow works perfectly. I will warn you that RAM management overnight might be a little tougher than you're used to if you've been using either a Note 8 or OP5. I haven't had to refresh any apps while I"m using the phone but when I woke up this morning I did notice a few apps were shut down overnight altogether.
  • Oreo is perfectly optimized with the hardware, and this is maybe not the flashiest update but it seems this one was all about refinement. The tweaks to the OS are very cool and very intuitive. If you open Google Maps and start directions somewhere, you can pull up another app and it will automatically slice into PiP overlaid on the app. So cool.
  • Audio is killer. Speakers are loud and have decent depth. I think they might be better than the iPhone's.
  • Battery - way too early to tell. However it *seems* really good. I've been using the phone a ton as you can imagine and it's not chewing up the battery.
Based on a very early experience I'll say this: if you're on the fence because you're afraid you might get a bad panel and don't want to deal with it, you're missing out. If you're convinced that it's the worst panel on the planet based on some tech bloggers, you're missing out.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My impressions of the XL 2 so far (I've only been using it since last night so YMMV...and mine too, at this point):

• Display. Not seeing what all the hype is about. It's fine. Good. Looks great in most situations. I own a Note 8, which is perfect and gorgeous and amazing...and the Pixel just doesn't strike me as *that* far off from it. Yes, I get blue tint if I turn it side ways. So basically you literally have to hold the phone wrong in order to get blue tint. I do not get any graininess nor banding. Last night I ran the new Star Wars trailer side by side with the Note 8. Other than screen size, I'll be damned if there was a big difference. Maybe I got lucky with my panel, no idea. I'm not going to tell anyone who is having a different experience that they're wrong. I will tell anyone who insists the panel is garbage that they're wrong however, because they are.
  • Industrial design is better than I initially gave it credit for. Bezels are fine. I HATE the ridge around the screen though. Not sure if it's there for the action squeeze but whatever the case, as I mentioned before, I know it's going to be a dust magnet. The back feels much better than I gave it credit for. I love the construction of my Note 8 but I cannot tell you how good it feels to have a phone with a grippy back again. The phone's weight is just right too.
  • Performance is SICK SICK SICK. It's not just fast, it flows. Whatever you're doing, whatever you want to do - boom boom boom. Apps just slide into the next. Multiwindow works perfectly. I will warn you that RAM management overnight might be a little tougher than you're used to if you've been using either a Note 8 or OP5. I haven't had to refresh any apps while I"m using the phone but when I woke up this morning I did notice a few apps were shut down overnight altogether.
  • Oreo is perfectly optimized with the hardware, and this is maybe not the flashiest update but it seems this one was all about refinement. The tweaks to the OS are very cool and very intuitive. If you open Google Maps and start directions somewhere, you can pull up another app and it will automatically slice into PiP overlaid on the app. So cool.
  • Audio is killer. Speakers are loud and have decent depth. I think they might be better than the iPhone's.
  • Battery - way too early to tell. However it *seems* really good. I've been using the phone a ton as you can imagine and it's not chewing up the battery.
Based on a very early experience I'll say this: if you're on the fence because you're afraid you might get a bad panel and don't want to deal with it, you're missing out. If you're convinced that it's the worst panel on the planet based on some tech bloggers, you're missing out.
Very nice write up! I can't wait to get mine next week!

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
That did the trick. Thank you.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the one glaring oddity about Android Oreo: there are still icons that are their own shape (namely squares). Shouldn't Android force all the icons be the same Pixel circles system-wide? This is the one major inconsistency with Android Oreo.

you're welcome. Yeah, I wish it made 3rd party apps change icons. I thought it was supposed to as well. That's why I may go to Nova so I can use an icon pack
[doublepost=1508513254][/doublepost]
The review I'm most interested in is Ma Boy Floss. If he hollas at me that the screen is crap then it's the truth. Where you at Floss?

for me, this phone is a "major, major go". does that help?

I'll definitely have to spend more time with the screen. I don't have the grainy, blotchy issues some have but do have blue-ish tint when at an angle. And the colors are just different than my Note 8. Not bad, just different and overall looks fine to me. It's not Adaptive mode on my Note 8 but it's not meant to be either. I will say, the colors are much nicer to look at than my Note 8 in basic mode (IMO).

I'll give more first impressions later.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
you're welcome. Yeah, I wish it made 3rd party apps change icons. I thought it was supposed to as well. That's why I may go to Nova so I can use an icon pack

That's really frustrating. I thought Google was supposed to have solved this. It's the only one negative in an otherwise blissful OS experience.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
That's really frustrating. I thought Google was supposed to have solved this. It's the only one negative in an otherwise blissful OS experience.

yep. As much as I wanted to like the Pixel launcher (I love the calendar / weather widget at the top), I had to go back to Nova. Mainly for customized gestures and icon pack support

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Strange that I'm still on September's security patch. Isn't October's out already for Google? No updates yet.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

RumorsReal

Suspended
Oct 13, 2017
Welll...they are easy to find...go to YouTube.......and search :)
Here is one for you...
Video stabilization and recording sound is so much better on the Pixel.

The sound isn't good at all on the pixel especially in the wind. Watch the cnet videos.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What saddens me is they came so close to perfection. All they had to do was use the same panel they used last year. Even that would have been enough. They should never have gone with LG for a $1000 phone. The blue tint is inexcusable as much as the yellow tint on iPhones. There are reports on reddit the blue tint shows up on some units of you so much as tilt it 10 degrees.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm beginning to believe. Here are my thoughts:

There's no question Google still feels a year behind the competition in terms of hardware functions and design, and that's really frustrating and unfortunate, because otherwise, the Pixel 2 (regular) is a joy to use.

I really didn't think the software difference would be this stark. Android Oreo has really matured into a feature-rich, buttery smooth, and generally consistent experience. Everything feels natural, responsive, and logical. There are maybe one or two oddities still, but nothing glaring and nothing that damages the OS experience in any meaningful way. Simply put, the OS is blissful.

I've said before that apps opening milliseconds faster isn't a deal-maker, and that's still true, but it goes beyond just faster opening of apps. Android Oreo really is a cut above the Samsung software experience, and when compared to iOS 11? It's leagues better. I don't want to digress too much on this point, but seriously, it's not even a competition anymore. Android Oreo embarrasses iOS 11 in how much you can do and how smoothly it can be done. As someone said earlier, it really is the new "iOS" -- nearly everything makes sense and just works.

The camera is impressive so far. Unless you're trying to, it doesn't seem capable of taking a bad shot. Battery life seems good so far, too. I left it on overnight at 65% and woke up to 65%. I'm getting used to the idea of plugging in for charging instead of just plopping it down on a wireless charging stand.

I'm adjusting to the screen, but it still needs to be said, it is a serious downgrade:

If you're not coming from an edge-to-edge design, you might be fine. But coming from an S8, you cannot ignore the bezels on the Pixel 2. The S8 offers a far more immersive screen experience. There's more info available immediately, more space for games/videos/pictures, and just generally less "phone." You escape into your content on the S8. The Pixel 2 simply does not create this effect or experience. As I've said before, it feels like you're viewing content through a damn port window!

Yes, the speakers are great. Loud, crisp, front-firing, all that good stuff, but is it worth the expense of the screen experience? I think the answer is an easy no. It appears good dual speakers can be achieved without needing them to be front firing. Apple and HTC has proven this point: they put the bass on the bottom, and the treble in the earpiece. Let's face it, Google kept the screen the way it is to save money and to manage supply constraints, and the only saving grace they could throw us are dual speakers. I respect and even understand that choice, but it doesn't change the fact that the screen experience -- not just the screen itself -- is a downgrade that is felt.

Ultimately, I'm torn. I'm beginning to believe in the Pixel 2 thanks to its blissful software experience and the superior camera. But it's not like the camera on the S8 is bad, and it's not like there aren't some serious tradeoffs: screen experience, wireless charging, and the other miscellaneous advantages Samsung hardware brings (like the better industrial design, better ergonomics, higher waterproof rating, longer lasting battery effectiveness...).

Even if I decide to get myself a Pixel 2, it's frustrating knowing the Pixel 3 will probably, and finally, level off the hardware playing field with the addition of wireless charging, a better screen experience, and better design. Not to mention we're not terribly far away from the S9, which could level the software playing field that the Pixel 2 now currently enjoys over the S8.

It's a tough call. I haven't made a final decision yet, but I'm more impressed than I ever thought I would be by the Pixel 2. Anyone interested will be pleased. And anyone who wants Google's services (updates, unlimited Photos backups), the Pixel 2 is a no brainer.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well I believe part of it stems from the PR disaster that was the Apple vs Samsung lawsuits, that totally overshadowed how brilliant Samsung hardware was. There conversation for many has been "oh Samsung copied this and that" .

Do you not find it strange that when Samsung put in a feature another company uses people are quick to say "Samsung Copied" yet when any another OEM does something that Samsung did (and ALL OF THEM do it) its "Oh they did this, like Samsung". There has been this hate for Samsung for the longest time, and I think people like Zack and Erica who love brilliant hardware (both of them are more about hardware more than software), also see this trend and make it a point to point out that Samsung do a great job with incredibly complex hardware, to make people appreciate it.

Android Central have also done a write-up, to show this, as people don't seem to understand how complex and difficult it is to get something like OLED so damn good as Samsung, it's an incredibly difficult technology, and Samsung constantly get it the best out of all

https://m.androidcentral.com/though...fb_link&utm_content=63478&utm_campaign=social

I personally am a hardware, and love reading up on the complexities of it and on a daily basis I am amazed that my Note8 actually functions so well despite all that has to be going on in the background due to the sheer amount of new hardware in it.
Oh I’ve been one of the ones on this forum to stand up for Samsung when they get accused of copying when they haven’t. But in all frankness, they did copy a lot back in the day and they were also enthusiastic about tweaking Apple in ads, so they brought some of that derision on themselves. Even so, they are big boys with a huge ad budget and can champion their own reputation. It is still puzzling to me why we civilians would feel the need to do their jobs for them and talk like commercials for their products or their brilliance.

Especially when...well the thing is, Samsung isn’t that brilliant. They eff up a lot. I’ve owned more phones of theirs than I ever intended since last year and I’ve seen a wide variance in the quality of their workmanship and components, even among the exact same specced model. And they have worked wonders with their Touchwiz skin and Bixby shows signs of becoming truly useful, but the whole shebang is easily bogged down and needs a lot of looking after to be kept up.

It’s one thing to give them credit where credit is due for advancing some design and engineering innovation, but the hyperbole that is employed in describing what they do is, as hyperbole is by its very nature, excessive.

Especially when Zack holds a lighter to a panel that Samsung made and rightfully slams it for not surviving the burn test that panels made by LG, Japan Display and Samsung for their own models have survived. Why did he not call out Samsung for making such a fragile panel? I guess the blame is on Google for buying them, but I can’t imagine the standard contract for displays includes the requirement that each panel look good in a Jerry Rig Everything burn endurance test.

And like I said, employing the use of adhesive is hardly a virtue exclusive to Samsung, so why slip them the glory by naming them in that instance? These videos, these tweets, they all manage to evoke the virtues of Samsung in a way that hardly feels organic to the conversation. And the same conversations fail to also evoke the many examples of Samsung falling flat.

I have seen enough poopy Samsung OLED panels to make me not terribly upset that Google didn’t use Samsung for the 2XL. I know when it comes to OLED, it’s a massive crapshoot no matter whom you choose. Samsung are not gods of OLED. If they were, all their panels would survive that burn test and all reviews of all Pixel 2s would be raving about their awesomeness.
[doublepost=1508520173][/doublepost]
This whole screen drama thing doesn't bother me too much but....when I read Erica Griffin's tweets I became a bit worried. Yes, she likes Samsung but she seems a very intelligent and honest person and I always enjoy her reviews. She opened 2 XLs and both had the same issues. The dull color thing won't bother me much since they will release and update but the grain and blue might be problematic. Guess I'll just wait and see and hope the Pandas somehow have magically better screens. :)
Her tweets are harsh but she says she’s more measured and gentler on her videos. Still, I’ve no doubt the displays she got sucked lemons in a big way. However, while she does hug her Note 7 display, I have, like I said, seen some bad Samsung OLED displays so I know it’s always going to be a bit of a lottery with them for the next couple of years. It’s a bit of a shame we are leaving LCD just as it’s matured and has achieved better consistency in quality.
[doublepost=1508521741][/doublepost]
The sound isn't good at all on the pixel especially in the wind. Watch the cnet videos.
I’ve seen plenty of videos where the iPhone sound is muffled and the Pixel was loud and clear. Generally the audio seems better on the Pixel.

The best audio is stereo audio and that comes from other makers on other models like LG for the V30 and all high end Samsungs, with the best sound I’ve heard firsthand coming from last year’s S7 Edge. HTC 10 did nice stereo audio, too. It was cleaner in some ways but not as rich as lifelike as that of the S7 Edge. I haven’t had the privilege of listening to the audio from the LG flagships in person.

For my iPhone 7 Plus I use a lightning connected external stereo mic that has a cushion attachment for use outdoors to reduce wind noise. No cell phone mic is going to sound good outside in any kind of wind. The advantage does go to iPhone for having such a great external lighting mic available to it. I don’t know if I will be able to find a usb-c mic for the Pixel.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Android Oreo's notifications really are amazing. You get so much info to work with. It's neat and organized and easy to take action on.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If you put a launcher on like Nova, will the squeeze feature still work and will there be any slowdowns or lag introduced? I will of course start off with the stock launcher but I remember having fun messing around with custom launchers on my HTC. Nova felt a bit complicated to me at the time so I put it aside but I would like to try it again sometime.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think you need to watch it again...the consensus from the rest of the world is the Pixel sound quality and video quality especially the stabilization is better on the Pixel.....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If you put a launcher on like Nova, will the squeeze feature still work and will there be any slowdowns or lag introduced? I will of course start off with the stock launcher but I remember having fun messing around with custom launchers on my HTC. Nova felt a bit complicated to me at the time so I put it aside but I would like to try it again sometime.

Active Edge still works with Nova.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Squeeze feature works just fine with Nova as the default launcher. doesn't seem any slower or laggy as a result. Will test more as I have more time with it.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Is the smaller Pixel 2's screen pretty much the exact same as last year in terms of colors and quality?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Verge was right about Active Edge. If the settings are too strong, it's hard to activate (applying pressure to a non-tactile surface of your smartphone just feels dumb and unnatural). And if it's too soft, you accidentally activate it when you're putting your phone down or into your pocket, etc. It's challenging to find the right middle ground.

Active Edge is a redundant, virtually useless feature. I think I'll be turning it off. Long pressing the home button makes so much more sense and is straight up just easier and more natural to do. Plus, I believe Active Edge is the reason the side bezels are thick.

Dual front facing speakers, not worth it for the enormous top and bottom bezels. And Active Edge, also not worth it for the side bezels.

Again, lots of questionable design choices from Google.

Reactions: deany

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The Verge was right about Active Edge. If the settings are too strong, it's hard to activate (applying pressure to a non-tactile surface of your smartphone just feels dumb and unnatural). And if it's too soft, you accidentally activate it when you're putting your phone down or into your pocket, etc. It's challenging to find the right middle ground.

Active Edge is a redundant, virtually useless feature. Long pressing the home button makes so much more sense and is straight up just easier and more natural to do. Plus, I believe Active Edge is the reason the side bezels are thick.

Dual front facing speakers, not worth it for the enormous top and bottom bezels. And Active Edge, also not worth it for the side bezels.

Again, lots of questionable design choices from Google.
yeah...I'm thinking I might not use active edge. But love the front firing speakers! I don't know how many times watching YouTube videos on my S8+ or N8 and one of my fingers covered the one speaker on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.