Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung don't drop something unless they really have to. I think it will take them a long time to drop it.

Why drop a feature that is genuinely useful? It makes no sense at all. I think Samsung will keep it until they genuinely see no point in it. The day they include Wireless headphones in the package they may drop the 3.5mm jack.

What I find hilarious is all these OEMs dropping the headphone jack yet not including BT Headphones in the package, lol. I got my Note8 with both BT Headphones and 3.5mm jack headphones, weird how that works, lol.
I agree with you on dropping the headphone jack yet not providing a BT headphones or at least a coupon to buy one with a few bucks shaved off.

But I think Samsung will follow and drop the headphone jack within 2 years.
[doublepost=1508503530][/doublepost]
I get what you're saying, which is exactly why I asked you guys to post the videos. Because I'm sure there are many videos which paint each phone in a different light. This way we can see what you are referring to.
yeah but they are easy to find if you search.....

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I did...read mine where i said if you want to see the videos....don't be lazy....just search for your self and come to an educated decision.
It's not a matter of being lazy. It's a matter of one person seeing one particular video and telling us its judgement, and another person seeing some other video and telling us its judgement.

All test scenarios are not created equally. If two people are debating the speed/quality of a phone comparison, then they should share the video that they formed their opinion off of. I could go out and find a half dozen videos that show the Pixel 2 as smooth as butter yet see some other videos that show it as glitchy.

Not all videos are showing us the same results, and its up to the people debating to show us what caused them to form their judgement.

Reactions: Oohara

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's not a matter of being lazy. It's a matter of one person seeing one particular video and telling us its judgement, and another person seeing some other video and telling us its judgement.

All test scenarios are not created equally. If two people are debating the speed/quality of a phone comparison, then they should share the video that they formed their opinion off of. I could go out and find a half dozen videos that show the Pixel 2 as smooth as butter yet see some other videos that show it as glitchy.

Not all videos are showing us the same results, and its up to the people debating to show us what caused them to form their judgement.
agreed...thats why in my original post i said videos...plural...... a quick YouTube search and you would have found all that you needed....But you wanted me to do that for you.....so i posted one of them.
This way you can come to a informed opinion......also I am pretty sure the video i posted has been posted here already.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
agreed...thats why in my original post i said videos...plural...... a quick YouTube search and you would have found all that you needed....But you wanted me to do that for you.....so i posted one of them.
This way you can come to a informed opinion......also I am pretty sure the video i posted has been posted here already.
You already posted your video - great. Now we expect the other guy to post his.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Okay so I just watched this and it was shocking to say the least.

WTF, Google!?
91bf7ce932bafd7c68d16c315d24fac0.jpg

May I just point out that Zack's JerryRigEverything was also what thoroughly explained why BlackBerry's KEYOne had screens falling out all over the place, and made it widely known that those who had this happen were not isolated cases.

His tests may seem a bit much but they thoroughly show where phones are weak and may fail hardware wise. Whether you take him seriously or not is up to you, but this guy has proven to know what he is talking about.
I have noticed and wondered, though, why anytime he has to point out a problem, he slips in a mention of how Samsung does it better or correctly. Like with talking about how there is no adhesive holding in the Blackberry’s display, he talks about how Samsung has so much adhesive. There are other brands of phones out there, some of which he has tested, that also use thick adhesives. It always comes back to Samsung with him.

Again, he’s accurate and fair in his tests and their results. His commentary is what shows bias pretty much to the point of promotion, though.

It leaps out to me because I see this happening all over the Internet, across so many comments sections in so many online publications, forums, discussions. There is almost a determined effort of some people to introduce Samsung into every discussion, holding them out as the icon to aspire to. It isn’t even the kind of fanboy behavior I’ve seen with Apple people or Moto Z enthusiasts. These are more like little commercials interspersed into ordinary conversations. It stands out to me.

I certainly like my Samsung products and they’ve worked wonders with their displays in the last couple of years. But they’ve had the blue shift for ages and as an iPhone user I wondered why Samsung owners didn’t seem bothered by the constant color shifting. My S7 Edge and Note 7 had blue shift as recently as last year. My S8+ has a purplish shift.

So when Erica Griffin also slips into conversation on Twitter how much she loves her Note 8 and how Samsung has the OLED expertise and whatnot, while she rants about the Pixel display, I just kind of pull back and wonder why everyone is so in thrall to Samsung as the icon of perfection.
[doublepost=1508506367][/doublepost]
I have lucked out on most of my devices in the past, and apparently recently too. The iPad Pro 10.5 screen (I am typing on now) is amazing for this type of device. All of my iPhones and google phones have been good. No complaints about my standard pixel 2 either.

Even though I am a photographer, I don’t see the point in getting caught up with screen PPI and such, I am more after color accuracy and even with good time using the Pixel 2, still like my iPhone 7 and 5S screen. I can’t say that I don’t see any differences, but it isn’t enough where I feel (some people) throw specs like that at others, as a huge factor in a device. Honestly, it really isn’t.

Been really happy that Android is starting to take color a bit more seriously with Oreo, and hope to extend my photography work into the pixel. It appears that cameras uploaded to Google Photos through the pixel (from my camera) do not count against my storage limits, and, that is huge for me. Honestly, it is the main (and hidden) feature about the pixel, that made me buy the new one.

I did find a page stating that the Pixel 2 is pending support. So, I am hoping more people call in so ATT expedites getting this phone fully supported.

Just a frustrating state, as I wanted to teather my iPhone 7 and watch to the Pixel, so they could use cellular data through that device as opposed to my watch turning on cellular all the time.
When our Pixels come in, I’ll contact them. Thanks. For letting me know it’s pending support.

The free storage is huge for me, too. I do pay them for storage but I appreciate the free capacity for my Pixel, too.

Reactions: 840quadra and deany

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I have noticed and wondered, though, why anytime he has to point out a problem, he slips in a mention of how Samsung does it better or correctly. Like with talking about how there is no adhesive holding in the Blackberry’s display, he talks about how Samsung has so much adhesive. There are other brands of phones out there, some of which he has tested, that also use thick adhesives. It always comes back to Samsung with him.

Again, he’s accurate and fair in his tests and their results. His commentary is what shows bias pretty much to the point of promotion, though.

It leaps out to me because I see this happening all over the Internet, across so many comments sections in so many online publications, forums, discussions. There is almost a determined effort of some people to introduce Samsung into every discussion, holding them out as the icon to aspire to. It isn’t even the kind of fanboy behavior I’ve seen with Apple people or Moto Z enthusiasts. These are more like little commercials interspersed into ordinary conversations. It stands out to me.

I certainly like my Samsung products and they’ve worked wonders with their displays in the last couple of years. But they’ve had the blue shift for ages and as an iPhone user I wondered why Samsung owners didn’t seem bothered by the constant color shifting. My S7 Edge and Note 7 had blue shift as recently as last year. My S8+ has a purplish shift.

So when Erica Griffin also slips into conversation on Twitter how much she loves her Note 8 and how Samsung has the OLED expertise and whatnot, while she rants about the Pixel display, I just kind of pull back and wonder why everyone is so in thrall to Samsung as the icon of perfection.
[doublepost=1508506367][/doublepost]
When our Pixels come in, I’ll contact them. Thanks. For letting me know it’s pending support.

The free storage is huge for me, too. I do pay them for storage but I appreciate the free capacity for my Pixel, too.
Well I believe part of it stems from the PR disaster that was the Apple vs Samsung lawsuits, that totally overshadowed how brilliant Samsung hardware was. There conversation for many has been "oh Samsung copied this and that" .

Do you not find it strange that when Samsung put in a feature another company uses people are quick to say "Samsung Copied" yet when any another OEM does something that Samsung did (and ALL OF THEM do it) its "Oh they did this, like Samsung". There has been this hate for Samsung for the longest time, and I think people like Zack and Erica who love brilliant hardware (both of them are more about hardware more than software), also see this trend and make it a point to point out that Samsung do a great job with incredibly complex hardware, to make people appreciate it.

Android Central have also done a write-up, to show this, as people don't seem to understand how complex and difficult it is to get something like OLED so damn good as Samsung, it's an incredibly difficult technology, and Samsung constantly get it the best out of all

https://m.androidcentral.com/though...fb_link&utm_content=63478&utm_campaign=social

I personally am a hardware, and love reading up on the complexities of it and on a daily basis I am amazed that my Note8 actually functions so well despite all that has to be going on in the background due to the sheer amount of new hardware in it.

Reactions: jamesrick80

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Supposedly in home screen settings. Long press anywhere on the blank home screen section and it should be in there. If you don't see it then try enabling developer options first.

Not there. Even with developers settings turned on.

I'm on Android 8.0.0. Is there an update beyond that?

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
So this is so far this morning. Been reading some interwebs, posting here, watching YouTube, and streaming a podcast for a bit. Color me impressed.

This is the Pixel 2 Classic, btw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171020-085419.png
    Screenshot_20171020-085419.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: JPNFRK7 and v0lume4

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Not there. Even with developers settings turned on.

I'm on Android 8.0.0. Is there an update beyond that?

hmmm. it's there for me. using the stock launcer, long press the home screen and choose settings. it's under the "change icon shape" setting near the very bottom. I do have developer options enabled but not sure that matters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171020-085747.png
    Screenshot_20171020-085747.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20171020-085744.png
    Screenshot_20171020-085744.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: LukinLedbetter

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This whole screen drama thing doesn't bother me too much but....when I read Erica Griffin's tweets I became a bit worried. Yes, she likes Samsung but she seems a very intelligent and honest person and I always enjoy her reviews. She opened 2 XLs and both had the same issues. The dull color thing won't bother me much since they will release and update but the grain and blue might be problematic. Guess I'll just wait and see and hope the Pandas somehow have magically better screens. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
hmmm. it's there for me. using the stock launcer, long press the home screen and choose settings. it's under the "change icon shape" setting near the very bottom. I do have developer options enabled but not sure that matters.

Don't know why, it's not there. Developer's Settings enabled:

HI1IiPil.png

Android 8.0.0...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This whole screen drama thing doesn't bother me too much but....when I read Erica Griffin's tweets I became a bit worried. Yes, she likes Samsung but she seems a very intelligent and honest person and I always enjoy her reviews. She opened 2 XLs and both had the same issues. The dull color thing won't bother me much since they will release and update but the grain and blue might be problematic. Guess I'll just wait and see and hope the Pandas somehow have magically better screens. :)
At night it's a little jarring. I put on Night light normally, so it's not a big deal, but it's really noticeable in the dark. It doesn't bother me because the rest of the device is excellent.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Unlocked.

I'm at a lost.
[doublepost=1508510382][/doublepost]

Where is that setting? In Developer's Settings? If we're talking about the same thing, no luck.

Bizarre.

that's not the same thing. here:
https://lifehacker.com/the-coolest-things-you-can-do-with-androids-hidden-syst-1773364942
https://www.greenbot.com/article/31...em-ui-tuner-what-it-is-and-how-to-use-it.html

It allows you to also turn off certain aspects of the status bar. I have the bluetooth icon turned off because I don't like seeing it up there all the time but it's turned on all the time because of my smartwatch.

Reactions: epicrayban

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Unlocked.

I'm at a lost.
[doublepost=1508510382][/doublepost]

Where is that setting? In Developer's Settings? If we're talking about the same thing, no luck.

Bizarre.

I've had similar things happen on Android (nexus devices) to me in the past. I'd try a restart and if that doesn't work I bet a wipe and reset would do the trick.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well I believe part of it stems from the PR disaster that was the Apple vs Samsung lawsuits, that totally overshadowed how brilliant Samsung hardware was. There conversation for many has been "oh Samsung copied this and that" .

Do you not find it strange that when Samsung put in a feature another company uses people are quick to say "Samsung Copied" yet when any another OEM does something that Samsung did (and ALL OF THEM do it) its "Oh they did this, like Samsung". There has been this hate for Samsung for the longest time, and I think people like Zack and Erica who love brilliant hardware (both of them are more about hardware more than software), also see this trend and make it a point to point out that Samsung do a great job with incredibly complex hardware, to make people appreciate it.

Android Central have also done a write-up, to show this, as people don't seem to understand how complex and difficult it is to get something like OLED so damn good as Samsung, it's an incredibly difficult technology, and Samsung constantly get it the best out of all

https://m.androidcentral.com/though...fb_link&utm_content=63478&utm_campaign=social

I personally am a hardware, and love reading up on the complexities of it and on a daily basis I am amazed that my Note8 actually functions so well despite all that has to be going on in the background due to the sheer amount of new hardware in it.

Also, hardware leads to real world gains. The screen, for example, is something you literally look at every time you use your device. It's a richer and more immersive experience when the screen is as good as Samsung's flagships.

Like I said, viewing content on the Pixel 2 feels like you're seeing everything through a port window. The bezels are big, the amount of content is less (not just smaller, but actually less), and the colors just don't pop as much. I appreciate the more natural colors in the camera, I think Google has found a great balance and middleground between the all-too-muted colors of the iPhone and the saturated colors of the S8.

But the screen experience (not just the screen itself, but the overall experience of using it) is something I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to. It's a real downgrade that is felt.

[doublepost=1508511241][/doublepost]
that's not the same thing. here:
https://lifehacker.com/the-coolest-things-you-can-do-with-androids-hidden-syst-1773364942
https://www.greenbot.com/article/31...em-ui-tuner-what-it-is-and-how-to-use-it.html

It allows you to also turn off certain aspects of the status bar. I have the bluetooth icon turned off because I don't like seeing it up there all the time but it's turned on all the time because of my smartwatch.

That did the trick. Thank you.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the one glaring oddity about Android Oreo: there are still icons that are their own shape (namely squares). Shouldn't Android force all the icons be the same Pixel circles system-wide? This is the one major inconsistency with Android Oreo.

Last edited:
Reactions: co.ag.2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.