Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

~~Edit to add: Note at the 13 minute mark the guy on the left says he did notice a slight difference in performance between the cameras of the XL and smaller Pixel 2 that’s possibly due to the larger phone being more stable to hold. ~~ I get the sense this guy tested the cameras pretty extensively.

This video made me excited about the Pixel as a phone around the 10:35 mark and enlightened me about the possible reason actual phone service sucks so bad on our family iPhones but is so great on any of our Android phones on AT&T. I’ve read this information before but didn’t understand it quite as well as when listening to these guys talk about it.

I’m just excited about the Pixels, period. If I end up with a bad display I will just exchange until I get one that is acceptable.

But the smoothness of the OS, the features that are there (not going to mourn the ones that aren’t) and the overall quality of the experience I can potentially get is exciting to me.

The reality may let me down. I don’t know. But I won’t know until I give it a try. Meanwhile it can’t be any more disappointing than some of the experiences I’ve already been through with flawed implementations of great concepts on amazing hardware. I am not expecting perfection. I am just seeking a new possibility and a new perspective.

However, I have the key advantage of having several other phones that are known quantities to be my daily driver if one should fail. So I don’t look down on anyone who is badly spooked by the negative comments and reviews and wants to sit this iteration out. It would be terrible to spend so much money on something you depend on for work and life in general to find that it breaks easily or bothers your eyes or causes some other problem. I have the luxury of playing around with this and returning it without incurring too much difficulty. Such was not the case with my S8+ when I wanted to return it, and so I do sympathize with people not wanting to get stuck with a phone that’s a hassle to return.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
yeah...I'm thinking I might not use active edge. But love the front firing speakers! I don't know how many times watching YouTube videos on my S8+ or N8 and one of my fingers covered the one speaker on the bottom.

Thankfully you can turn off Active Edge for AI but still leave Active Edge for silencing an incoming phone call, but even then, a simple tap of the volume rocker is probably easier. Tapping the volume rocker is effectively the same move, you're squeezing something. So yeah, Active Edge just sucks.

It's 100% a gimmick. A gimmick that comes at a cost.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Took a couple of shots with camera, it is SICK!
f4e14c33e03962ada20dcca444ef1fd1.jpg
68a49d7d2a88bd1a0ba49d2855585861.jpg

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Thankfully you can turn off Active Edge for AI but still leave Active Edge for silencing an incoming phone call, but even then, a simple tap of the volume rocker is probably easier. Tapping the volume rocker is effectively the same move, you're squeezing something. So yeah, Active Edge just sucks.

It's 100% a gimmick. A gimmick that comes at a cost.

gimmick, maybe and I'd rather have slightly thinner bezels to not have the squeeze feature (although the side bezels don't bother me at all). Once the squeeze gets remapped, I'll likely use it for flashlight or to toggle sound/vibrate. At least then, it'll be less gimmicky to me. But at the moment, yes.

Reactions: epicrayban

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Who else here has a delivery date for October 25th - 26th?

I opted for regular delivery. I'm still waiting on the charge to hit my card

*finger tap finger tap finger tap...*

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Does the iPhone 8 have any sort of always on display?

Having it on the Pixel 2 makes the S8 transition a little easier. AoD is so useful. Even just having the time to glance at while it's on your desk/stand is nice.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Are you kidding me? Note 8 has far better sound than the pixel and iPhone. You can check it in every comparison.
I have had the N8 and 8+ and the 8+ has better sound than the N8. I haven't received my 2XL yet....but they are front facing speakers.
Then you're here what..trolling?
[doublepost=1508531155][/doublepost]
Took a couple of shots with camera, it is SICK!
f4e14c33e03962ada20dcca444ef1fd1.jpg
68a49d7d2a88bd1a0ba49d2855585861.jpg
Man o Man....those pictures are amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Great pictures and cute dog :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
I have had the N8 and 8+ and the 8+ has better sound than the N8. I haven't received my 2XL yet....but they are front facing speakers.
Then you're here what..trolling?
[doublepost=1508531155][/doublepost]
Man o Man....those pictures are amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Great pictures and cute dog :)

I am talking not about the speakers, i am talking about video recording sound. Note 8 has excellent sound with it's stereo recording ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

RumorsReal

Suspended
Oct 13, 2017
I think you need to watch it again...the consensus from the rest of the world is the Pixel sound quality and video quality especially the stabilization is better on the Pixel.....

I heard the sound in the cnet videos which was enough for me to say no to it having better video. I'm sure others will agree here after watching those videos.

RumorsReal

Suspended
Oct 13, 2017
Are you kidding me? Note 8 has far better sound than the pixel and iPhone in video recording. You can check it in every comparison. Man you have transformed to a huge pixel fanboy.

Whatever phone he owns it's the best. That's how he has always been.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not gonna bother posting pics, but yes, the camera is out-of-this-world good. Portrait mode really is impressive. Like I said earlier, unless you're trying to, it's like impossible for this phone to take a bad photo.

Camera is a big factor in my phone decision. I really want to like this device, but there's also no denying the tradeoffs. I still stand by what I said: that the Pixel 2 still feels a hair too far behind the competition when it comes to hardware and design.

It's really a shame. Google really should have, at least, gotten wireless charging in this time. They always feel behind the curve on one or two major hardware related features. And the sad thing? They were one of the first that pioneered wireless charging in the Nexus program.

It's just frustrating.

In the past, in these sorts of scenarios, where I feel the company has really made an error, I tend to side on "they don't deserve my money yet." I have a bad feeling that'll be the case again with the Pixel 2. I really want to like this device.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Did you watch cnet review???

That was all about video. You clearly said the camera isn't that great, before talking about video. I've not watched many reviews about video quality, seems good enough anyway. But do you seriously think it doesn't take a good picture? I've seen endless reviews praising how good the pictures are.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not gonna bother posting pics, but yes, the camera is out-of-this-world good. Portrait mode really is impressive. Like I said earlier, unless you're trying to, it's like impossible for this phone to take a bad photo.

Camera is a big factor in my phone decision. I really want to like this device, but there's also no denying the tradeoffs. I still stand by what I said: that the Pixel 2 still feels a hair too far behind the competition when it comes to hardware and design.

It's really a shame. Google really should have, at least, gotten wireless charging in this time. They always feel behind the curve on one or two major hardware related features. And the sad thing? They were one of the first that pioneered wireless charging in the Nexus program.

It's just frustrating.

In the past, in these sorts of scenarios, where I feel the company has really made an error, I tend to side on "they don't deserve my money yet." I have a bad feeling that'll be the case again with the Pixel 2. I really want to like this device.

Have you thought about trying the Pixel 2 XL or is that just too big of a device to you? I'd image it would feel less like you're "looking through a port hole".

Reactions: deany

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

It's just frustrating.

I was tempted by the regular sized pixel but I imagine I'd feel exactly how you do with it.

It's strange that Google agreed for HTC to design the regular sized Pixel the way they did, especially when last year's models were the same design. Why do you think they didn't extend the same thinner bezel design from the XL to the smaller device?
With Apple, I kind of understand them not pushing the design envelope (until the X) for so long, because they probably feel like they didn't need to in an almost arrogant fashion, because they know they'll sell a load of handsets regardless.

With Pixel, it's not necessarily the case. Arrogance from Google because they think people will buy it anyway for the incredible camera and software experience? Or they put the more modern design in the the XL because they imagine they'll sell more of them?

It's strange. I have a large bezel phone now, but it has a bigger screen so I don't have a problem. To go to a smaller Pixel with potentially bigger bezels (?) AND a smaller screen... I don't think I could. Even if the software is that good. But damn those camera samples aren't half tempting me.

Reactions: epicrayban

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
24 Hour update:
I have the Pixel 2 (no XL) and absolutely love it. The screen has zero problems that I can see. Ive been at work today and I still have 84% left and I started using the phone at 730 this morning. Its been tricky moving over from iPhone but I mostly have it. Biggest problem was some pictures not showing up in Google photos. Otherwise the phone is super quick and punchy. Ill be posting some shots of the parade in my town on Sunday to see how the camera holds up outside.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Are you kidding me? Note 8 has far better sound than the pixel and iPhone in video recording. You can check it in every comparison. Man you have transformed to a huge pixel fanboy.
There is much variation between individual Samsung phones of the same model. This is some of what frustrates me about Samsung. My S7 Edge audio is among the most amazingly immersive audio I’ve ever experienced in video recording devices. So it was a massive disappointment to me that my S8+ audio is so bad it rendered my daughter’s graduation video that I made on it almost useless. It seemed more a matter of something that could possibly be corrected in firmware update perhaps but it was taking too much sound in from too many directions and there was also much less clarity than I get from the S7 Edge. I consistently have this problem with it no matter what I’m recording. I really got unlucky with this particular phone, but I use it a lot, anyway. At some point I want to test my husband’s S8+ and see if he has the same issues or if it’s just my phone.

Based on what I have experienced personally with variability in Samsungs, I will give you and @jamezr both the benefit of a doubt that your experiences with your individual Note 8s is what you each say it is.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
24 Hour update:
I have the Pixel 2 (no XL) and absolutely love it. The screen has zero problems that I can see. Ive been at work today and I still have 84% left and I started using the phone at 730 this morning. Its been tricky moving over from iPhone but I mostly have it. Biggest problem was some pictures not showing up in Google photos. Otherwise the phone is super quick and punchy. Ill be posting some shots of the parade in my town on Sunday to see how the camera holds up outside.

You have to make sure you allow certain albums to be "backed up" by Photos, to see it in the Photos app. You can easily adjust these settings in the Photos app and going to the "Album" tab on the bottom. Then from there, click into your respective albums and make sure the "Back up and sync" is toggled on.

For example, when I downloaded some old wallpapers that I like, Photos would ask me "Do you also want to back this new album with Photos" or something like that. If you choose yes, it'll be done automatically. If no, you have to go to Albums to enable it.

Hope that helps.
[doublepost=1508534761][/doublepost]
I was tempted by the regular sized pixel but I imagine I'd feel exactly how you do with it.

It's strange that Google agreed for HTC to design the regular sized Pixel the way they did, especially when last year's models were the same design. Why do you think they didn't extend the same thinner bezel design from the XL to the smaller device?
With Apple, I kind of understand them not pushing the design envelope (until the X) for so long, because they probably feel like they didn't need to in an almost arrogant fashion, because they know they'll sell a load of handsets regardless.

With Pixel, it's not necessarily the case. Arrogance from Google because they think people will buy it anyway for the incredible camera and software experience? Or they put the more modern design in the the XL because they imagine they'll sell more of them?

It's strange. I have a large bezel phone now, but it has a bigger screen so I don't have a problem. To go to a smaller Pixel with potentially bigger bezels (?) AND a smaller screen... I don't think I could. Even if the software is that good. But damn those camera samples aren't half tempting me.

My theory is that Google couldn't find enough reliable supplies of those types of OLED panels (that are more edge-to-edge) and wanted to keep costs "down" for the smaller Pixel 2. It's an unfortunate, but an almost understandable decision.

But therein lies the unfortunate shame. It likely won't be until the Pixel 3 that we'll see the smaller Pixel get a better, more advanced, more immersive, edge-to-edge screen design. That's part of what makes this so frustrating. They almost nailed it with the Pixel 2 because indeed the software and camera are blissful to use.

Otherwise, I completely agree with you. I said long ago, it's like the Nexus 5X and 6P all over again. And for them to claim "We don't save features for the bigger model..." -- not quite accurate. Of course, no one is a greater offense of this than Apple.

To respond to your comment about why Apple did it with the iPhone 8 design, you pretty much nailed it. It's a crime only they can get away with. The Pixel 2 is easily the better experience compared to the iPhone 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.