Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
@RumorsReal
I love my iPhone 7 Plus. It takes amazing pictures. I’m not surprised sometimes the iPhone 8 will beat the Pixel. But I’ve seen a lot of comparison videos and pictures that show the pixel or the Samsung coming out on top. We are so lucky that no matter what our particular favorite phone is, we are going to get amazing pictures with it and really excellent videos.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
@RumorsReal
I love my iPhone 7 Plus. It takes amazing pictures. I’m not surprised sometimes the iPhone 8 will beat the Pixel. But I’ve seen a lot of comparison videos and pictures that show the pixel or the Samsung coming out on top. We are so lucky that no matter what our particular favorite phone is, we are going to get amazing pictures with it and really excellent videos.
The camera on the 7 Plus is the feature that I like the most about it. It really is great at catching a photo while I'm moving, like in a car. I would have been happy to stay with Apple if I hadn't gone through so much with my Intel modem.

Don't know about the Pixel but the iPhone camera is likely one of the fastest point and click I've seen.

Reactions: 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Why are there some posters in this thread that only seem to contribute sharing anything negative about these phones and posting when the pixel “loses”? Such a weird place to push your anti google/Android agenda.
I'm not surprised on an Apple website, but generally speaking the iPhone guys are cool. In fairness, some of these guys are Samsung people. There's a difference between having a discussion and just being negative of a phone they've never seen.

I agree with some who have said the Pixel 2XL has a weird screen. The blue is really weird and not something I like. That being said, to me the weird screen is a compromise worth making. For others, it's a second rate software package over a screen.

These are discussions worth having. How do people expect me to respond to people who distill a fair and balanced review highlighting pros and cons of a phone camera to "iPhone wins"? There's nothing to discuss. Reading comprehension or lack thereof simply isn't interesting.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The camera on the 7 Plus is the feature that I like the most about it. It really is great at catching a photo while I'm moving, like in a car. I would have been happy to stay with Apple if I hadn't gone through so much with my Intel modem.

Don't know about the Pixel but the iPhone camera is likely one of the fastest point and click I've seen.
Oh I love so much about my 7 Plus, but phone call quality is not one of the things I even like. It’s just terrible, even on Qualcomm modem. There’s the video I linked to and talk about a few posts back that might explain why it’s not as good as that of an Android phone. I’m not sure that’s the real reason, it is something I need to educate myself on more to make sure I understand what I heard properly. You seem more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am so maybe you can check on it. It’s about all the antennas and MIMO. Lol, I don’t know what all that stuff is, and I used to work for a telco, but that was back when we wore pagers and had to keep our cell phones turned off until we needed to make a call or the battery would die.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Love the iPhone 7 Plus camera. This video was taken with my 7 plus in New Zealand flying over the southern Alps. Don't spam me, dudes. The plane is jumping up and down all over the place.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
My dog managed to break the portrait mode. The left patch above his eye blurs into the background.
4ffba86f95ce15760f2280897eba3491.jpg

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
And everyone one of those state they prefer the more saturated, brighter images (ie overexposed with warmer color temp)

For me? There are instances where the iPhone performs well, and there are others where the pixel performs well. As far as I can tell, iPhone wins with zooming and bokeh, the pixel wins everywhere else.

We'll have to wait and see what the dedicated isp brings to the table when Google enables it.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
really and you know this how? You have been here for 5 days? I have the V30 and Note 8 and 8 Plus and the Pixel 2 XL coming maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.
I have had too many phones to have each one as my favorite. But at least I have a very wide range of phones and experiences with those phones to make a very valid opinion of what their pros and cons are.

Very few have become my favorite.

So far this year...I have the following phones
iphones
7, 7Plus, 8 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus
Samsung phones
Note 7, Note 5, S7 edge, S7, Note 8, S8, S8 Plus
LG
G6, V30
HTC
U11
Huawei,
Mate 9
Honor 8
ZTE
Axon 7
Google
Pixel, Pixel XL

Wow, so many phones over a year. So on average you use a phone for less than 2 weeks. Just asking whether you can form a thorough opinion on a phone on such a short period.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wow, so many phones over a year. So on average you use a phone for less than 2 weeks. Just asking whether you can form a thorough opinion on a phone on such a short period.
good question...sometimes I have multiple phones at once. Like right now I have the N8, V30 8 plus with the Pixel 2 XL coming next week. Then it is better than not having them at all ;)
Then some of the reviewers only have phones two weeks at a time for their reviews

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
good question...sometimes I have multiple phones at once. Like right now I have the N8, V30 8 plus with the Pixel 2 XL coming next week. Then it is better than not having them at all ;)
Then some of the reviewers only have phones two weeks at a time for their reviews

Why don't you post a video with the phones side by side, then open and close apps repeatedly between them.

I hear that's how you really test a phone.

I think I'm starting to understand why MRU exited stage left.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Question for those who have their Pixel 2 of either size, how is the quality of your voice to listeners and theirs to your ears on phone calls? I know there are carrier differences, I’m just trying to get an idea, however vague, of that.

What do you think of the quality of audio on your video recordings?

Is there a limit to how long your recordings can be on 4K?

Does your phone ever get really hot so far? I don’t expect that to happen very often on Snapdragon 835 but with the chassis being metal I wondered if the heat that does get produced could be felt more. I hardly ever feel it on my Samsung S8+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.