Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Whatever phone he owns it's the best. That's how he has always been.
really and you know this how? You have been here for 5 days? I have the V30 and Note 8 and 8 Plus and the Pixel 2 XL coming maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.
I have had too many phones to have each one as my favorite. But at least I have a very wide range of phones and experiences with those phones to make a very valid opinion of what their pros and cons are.

Very few have become my favorite.

So far this year...I have the following phones
iphones
7, 7Plus, 8 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus
Samsung phones
Note 7, Note 5, S7 edge, S7, Note 8, S8, S8 Plus
LG
G6, V30
HTC
U11
Huawei,
Mate 9
Honor 8
ZTE
Axon 7
Google
Pixel, Pixel XL

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Took a couple of shots with camera, it is SICK!
f4e14c33e03962ada20dcca444ef1fd1.jpg
68a49d7d2a88bd1a0ba49d2855585861.jpg

Sorry but we're gonna need to see the EXIF data on this, that's GOT to be a DSLR!! :D

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Have you thought about trying the Pixel 2 XL or is that just too big of a device to you? I'd image it would feel less like you're "looking through a port hole".

There are a number of reasons why I am uninterested in the 2 XL and will never get one: partly the size, partly the design (the bezels around the entire frame are a serious eyesore. I think it's actually one of the poorest and oddest looking smartphones -- akin to a first generation attempt at a bezel-less phone that should have came out years ago), partly the exorbitant price, and partly the recent screen concerns.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Google definitely makes some weird choices. Say what you want about Apple but they are consistent. With Google you never know what they will do or abandon at the drop of a hat. Last year it seemed with both Pixels looking the same they are finally getting it together. Then this year they look completely different in the front. They make a bunch of messaging apps and then you barely hear about them ever again. It's almost like they just throw crap against a wall and see what sticks.
[doublepost=1508535545][/doublepost]If Google was going to stick with big bezels for the small version I wish they would have teamed up with Sony. Sony hardware with Google software would be amazing.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I heard the sound in the cnet videos which was enough for me to say no to it having better video. I'm sure others will agree here after watching those videos.
Wait a minute, are you actually basing your opinion on that one single video? People like @jamezr and I who actually intend to own this device have been looking at many, many samples plus calling upon our firsthand ownership experience. We do not just look at one or two videos to reinforce our opinions and call it a day. We have real money on the line and have to go into this with our eyes and ears taking it all in.

@jamesrick80 accused me of brushing aside all criticism and blindly supporting the Pixels. Nothing could be further from the facts. I take it all in and make note of it, but also try to keep all the negatives in balance so I don’t panic and rush to cancel my preorder or form prejudices that could keep me from evaluating it as objectively as possible when I finally get it.

Criticisms are more than welcome here among us potential buyers but I have to say, the manner in which they are sometimes presented can be off putting, so some of us may be too upbeat to compensate. However if we agree with any of the criticisms, I have seen that agreement used as ammunition by posters such as yourself who seem to hold an almost personal vendetta against an inanimate object. There are some points you’ve made that I could support, but I’m afraid to because I don’t want to give you more ammunition to keep going on and on about certain things.

You don’t need to be so impassioned about this. We get it, you don’t like the Pixel and I am sure you have your reasons.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
Sorry but we're gonna need to see the EXIF data on this, that's GOT to be a DSLR!! :D
No sir, that is a true blue (pun intended :D) Pixel 2 XL shot. While I had my fair share of concerns with the screen to the point that Google wanted my phone back, I think I'll take a bit of blue hue on the screen for the wonderful memories this camera will create.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
really and you know this how? You have been here for 5 days?

Lol, the troll is real in this one.
5 days dude, seriously?! I don't think I'd have entertained a response but did enjoy reading through your 2017 phone list with envy. :p
I need to move to 'murica for JoD goodness. :D
[doublepost=1508536090][/doublepost]
If Google was going to stick with big bezels for the small version I wish they would have teamed up with Sony. Sony hardware with Google software would be amazing.

Yessss, this alllll day long. I've become a right Sony Xperia fan boy over the last 12 months! :D
Funny too as my first Android experience was a Z3 Compact years ago and I utterly despised it!

Now, they're my favourite manufacturer with (IMO) the best version of 'skinned' Android.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
really and you know this how? You have been here for 5 days? I have the V30 and Note 8 and 8 Plus and the Pixel 2 XL coming maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.
I have had too many phones to have each one as my favorite. But at least I have a very wide range of phones and experiences with those phones to make a very valid opinion of what their pros and cons are.

Very few have become my favorite.

So far this year...I have the following phones
iphones
7, 7Plus, 8 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus
Samsung phones
Note 7, Note 5, S7 edge, S7, Note 8, S8, S8 Plus
LG
G6, V30
HTC
U11
Huawei,
Mate 9
Honor 8
ZTE
Axon 7
Google
Pixel, Pixel XL

You need to find some kind of support group. ;)

RumorsReal

Suspended
Oct 13, 2017
That was all about video. You clearly said the camera isn't that great, before talking about video. I've not watched many reviews about video quality, seems good enough anyway. But do you seriously think it doesn't take a good picture? I've seen endless reviews praising how good the pictures are.

You clearly didn't read what I said. I posted TWO videos. And I said video isn't that good.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
One day in the books with the Pixel 2 XL Not going to draw too many long-standing conclusions yet. Initial impressions:
  1. The screen is blue outside the normal viewing angle. 9/10 times it's not a problem, but I can't honestly say I haven't noticed and it hasn't bothered me at all.
  2. The battery seems pretty insane. I have essentially let all the apps my phone access my location without thinking twice, and I have no early concerns about battery life.
  3. I'm a big fan of virtual assistants and Google Assistant only gets better on a Pixel. I use the active edge all the time and the setting is about as intuitive as you would expect and easy to adjust.
  4. The always on screen is cool and the first time I got a song recognition it was pretty crazy (a spanish song, none-the-less)
  5. Haven't had a ton of camera experience yet
  6. Bluetooth issues in the Pixel appear to have been fixed in the second gen.
  7. Android Auto is a little strange but the implementation is a bit better than Apple Carplay.
  8. The earth live wallpaper is really spectacular
  9. I forgot how much I love Android notifications

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
One day in the books with the Pixel 2 XL Not going to draw too many long-standing conclusions yet. Initial impressions:
  1. The screen is blue outside the normal viewing angle. 9/10 times it's not a problem, but I can't honestly say I haven't noticed and it hasn't bothered me at all.
  2. The battery seems pretty insane. I have essentially let all the apps my phone access my location without thinking twice, and I have no early concerns about battery life.
  3. I'm a big fan of virtual assistants and Google Assistant only gets better on a Pixel. I use the active edge all the time and the setting is about as intuitive as you would expect and easy to adjust.
  4. The always on screen is cool and the first time I got a song recognition it was pretty crazy (a spanish song, none-the-less)
  5. Haven't had a ton of camera experience yet
  6. Bluetooth issues in the Pixel appear to have been fixed in the second gen.
  7. Android Auto is a little strange but the implementation is a bit better than Apple Carplay.
  8. The earth live wallpaper is really spectacular
  9. I forgot how much I love Android notifications

Regarding point 3, purely curious, you don't find it easier long pressing the home button to activate it? I feel like with AE, it sometimes requires readjusting your grip to squeeze, and then sometimes the first squeeze won't work. Long pressing brings it up fast and reliably on the first try, and is easier to reach for, too.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Question: how come Gboard is so much better on the Pixel 2 than on the s8? I'm using the same keyboard on both with the same settings. Is it something to do with Oreo?

Editing is so much easier and more accurate, and the menu popups make so much more sense. How come not all Gboards are created equal? Isn't it the same app?

Reactions: 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Regarding point 3, purely curious, you don't find it easier long pressing the home button to activate it? I feel like with AE, it sometimes requires readjusting your grip to squeeze, and then sometimes the first squeeze won't work. Long pressing brings it up fast and reliably on the first try, and is easier to reach for, too.
Maybe my setting is just right, but coming from an iPhone, I like the physical option. The home button is okay, but I like being able to go from locked to assistant without talking or turning the screen on.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Maybe my setting is just right, but coming from an iPhone, I like the physical option. The home button is okay, but I like being able to go from locked to assistant without talking or turning the screen on.

I like that last bit, too, but then it requires you to unlock with your passcode/pin or your finger print to complete the action. Is there a way to turn that off?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I saw this. Is it any good? Is it laggy and one of those solutions that "interrupts" the original command like the Bixby remap? That was a little laggy and buggy.

Seems good and lag free thus far. Every now and then, it'll start Google Assistant at the same time as the flashlight, so not perfect. Also, see these screenshots. The last pic that shows Google Assistant was me squeezing to take a screenshot. GA wasn't up but when I squeezed, it briefly launched GA and took a screenshot. But then I did it a bunch of times after and it never launched GA while taking screenshots.

https://imgur.com/a/c20rg

Can you map it for a screenshot?! That's what I'd have!

Yep! See imgur link for available activities. Looks like you can also map to launch a specific app but I haven't tried that yet. Im not sure if all of them work but a good list to try.

https://imgur.com/a/c20rg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol there’s a review on BGR, if you can call it that, that is so scathing I laughed out loud. I can’t link to it here at the moment. I read it on my iPhone on the Apple news app. The reviewer ended up throwing the Pixel 2XL into the trash and photographing it inside of the trash can. The author invited people to check out his Instagram, which I did...interesting person. And that’s all I’ll say about that.

Okay here’s a link to the discussion of the BGR article and that contains a link to the BGR article. I’ll link to the XDA article so you can get the opposing perspective and the link to the original all in one: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/bgr-drops-massive-turd-pixel-2-xl-due-t3691527

I don’t doubt he saw some complete fug on his test units and that he did not get photos that impressed him all that much on his test phones. I saw some noise and stuff that didn’t impress me, either, on the Verizon one I checked out. But I’ve learned not to judge all potential outcomes by looking at the results from a sample of one. However, after studying countless sample pictures in my moments of spare time, I can see certain trends when some of these pixels aren’t optimal.

I would not hesitate to return a Pixel that doesn’t give me consistently good results and falls among one of the ones that exhibits excessive noise, haze in challenging lighting situations and a poor white balance that colors a scene a bit teal. I’ve noticed some other people’s test Pixels do this
And some don’t. I think one thing we can determine so far is that quality control on these initial batches is pretty loosey goosey. I can’t blame people for coming away with a bad impression if they get a bad one.

It does not help that this year it is painfully obvious Google scrambled to cobble together a tremendous effort split between two very different manufacturers. I didn’t even think they’d get any Pixels done this year. I think it’s a bit of a miracle they had a cohesive vision to sell at their Keynote this year. However, the implementation of that vision has not demonstrated cohesion so we have a result that reminds me a little bit of the movie “Twins”

1F8E2C6E-4327-4046-B696-7563C25BE829.jpeg

Google can dress them up alike and present them as twins representing their united concept for the AI and software, but people can’t help but notice they’re different and some people are going to react badly to being told these phones are only different in size. “Uh...kinda sorta not really”. And that’s a polite reaction.

So those of us who are still interested in the second generation Pixels have to be realistic about what we are going to see and hear in official reviews and friends’ reviews and take the good and the bad as it comes with an open mind and good grace.

Similarly, I hope those who come here with either praise or criticism do so with the mindset of helping and informing, and not to push an agenda or personal bias.

Reactions: jamezr and deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.