Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
hmmm. it's there for me. using the stock launcer, long press the home screen and choose settings. it's under the "change icon shape" setting near the very bottom. I do have developer options enabled but not sure that matters.

I don't have this option to Change Icon Shape on my Verizon Pixel 2. Everything else looks the same, though. Very odd.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

Pixel 2 XL unboxing. Currently a livestream, I assume the link will still work and be viewable afterwards however.

edit -- Super basic unboxing, his full reviews will be coming down the road. He wasn't impressed with the display -- I asked him in the chat and he said that it was the color profile that he didn't prefer. He said your average Joe will probably look at the Note 8 and other Android phones, and think "This screen isn't as good," even if it's more "accurate." Waiting for that color fix, Google (don't tell @Lava Lamp Freak :p)!

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Its such a shame Google did not put a decent display in the Pixel 2 XL. It seems like a lucky dip if you will get one with an passable screen and for what they cost its unacceptable really. I really wanted to give this phone a try after seeing the fantastic photos it takes but I think ill be sticking with Samsung for now, bring on the S9.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Its such a shame Google did not put a decent display in the Pixel 2 XL. It seems like a lucky dip if you will get one with an passable screen and for what they cost its unacceptable really. I really wanted to give this phone a try after seeing the fantastic photos it takes but I think ill be sticking with Samsung for now, bring on the S9.
It's a shame Samsung puts substandard software on the Galaxy line.
[doublepost=1508623733][/doublepost]My black carbon case came in from google. The cloth material is actually really neat. I had it in an otterbox clear case but I think I'll stick with the black case.

Battery has yet to even pass through my mind. i'm at 80% right now. I did drive a round a bit today (phone charges while AA is connected) but I also woke up and watched several youtube videos.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Pixel 2 is gonna be great for many people. I appreciate what Google is trying to do, but still feel like the s8 is more than good enough to last me til the Pixel 3, where, once again, Google has the potential to finally and effectively win me over.

The short time I've spent with the Pixel 2 has made me a believer, but I don't need this upgrade quite yet. The future is moving to a more wireless and more bezel-less smartphone. I'm not walking back on that. It's up to Google to catch up, not me to accept these downgrades.

I'm hoping for better screens, better design, and more hardware features in the Pixel 3, namely wireless charging. The software is already blissful, but I do hope to see them force icons to be the same shape -- it's really the only one glaring oddity in an otherwise near-perfect software experience. Maybe Android P will finally introduce theming to solve that issue.

[doublepost=1508624570][/doublepost]

It'll be interesting to see what Samsung will do with the s9. I predict it'll be a minor update that'll be in line with the current s8 design language. If this is true, I have all the more reason to wait for the Pixel 3. Google is slowly but steadily getting there... that "perfect" Android phone.

One more generation should do the trick...

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I was looking for external stereo mics for Android...something like the Shure Mic I use to get stereo audio on my iPhone. Man...all the available mics use the headphone jack. Damn you Google for not including the headphone jack or at the very least applying the stereo mic capabilities of the LG V30 to the Pixels. :mad:

Wow, that Porg in my new avatar looks like a grumpy cat. I think I’ll go back to the Panda eating a popsicle soon.

Reactions: deany and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think the Pixel 2 has a decent display....not on par with Samsung of course. But decent enough. There a lot of things the Pixel 2 gets right....like the FPS. Then software wise it is above the competition by leaps and bounds.

User experience is head and shoulders above most out there.

It will be interesting if Samsung incorporates the FPS under the display for the S9. Lets see if they have the technology to pull it off.

Reactions: 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

Pixel 2 XL unboxing. Currently a livestream, I assume the link will still work and be viewable afterwards however.

edit -- Super basic unboxing, his full reviews will be coming down the road. He wasn't impressed with the display -- I asked him in the chat and he said that it was the color profile that he didn't prefer. He said your average Joe will probably look at the Note 8 and other Android phones, and think "This screen isn't as good," even if it's more "accurate." Waiting for that color fix, Google (don't tell @Lava Lamp Freak :p)!

I'm not concerned about them adding additional color modes as long as its an option and doesn't affect the colors on my screen.

I'm loving the screen. Color saturation is beautiful. I occasionally notice that the pixel density isn't as high as my S8 was when reading text but it's not noticeable all the time.
[doublepost=1508633183][/doublepost]My only concern right now is that pictures at night don't look right. The camera wants to overexpose everything even with HDR turned off. The S8 actually looked like nighttime in pictures taken at night.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not concerned about them adding additional color modes as long as its an option and doesn't affect the colors on my screen.

I'm loving the screen. Color saturation is beautiful. I occasionally notice that the pixel density isn't as high as my S8 was when reading text but it's not noticeable all the time.
[doublepost=1508633183][/doublepost]My only concern right now is that pictures at night don't look right. The camera wants to overexpose everything even with HDR turned off. The S8 actually looked like nighttime in pictures taken at night.

Yeah, sometimes shots in the dark look lit up! It's impressive but a tad bit strong.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Took some pictures today at our towns parade. Everything is on auto I havent played with settings. Id say the pictures look great. Battery did pretty well with the screen on most of the parade. Screenshot was taken right as I posted.
fa6760607106495d4a02264cd7ef37d6.jpg
d946969dc1160e3fb185a380a03095e3.jpg
ec3c49cc6d79c6124daab85a217279c0.jpg
e055b5672143cb48d3baab0d7d0f7872.jpg
d2c3bd355f9ea5a360629b453e9983b9.jpg

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I think the Pixel 2 has a decent display....not on par with Samsung of course. But decent enough. There a lot of things the Pixel 2 gets right....like the FPS. Then software wise it is above the competition by leaps and bounds.

User experience is head and shoulders above most out there.

It will be interesting if Samsung incorporates the FPS under the display for the S9. Lets see if they have the technology to pull it off.
Don't get me wrong i'm a fan of what Google and Android are doing, I want them to make great products and that camera alone in the Pixel 2 is amazing but I just cant accept the screen quality. Its not good enough for a phone in that price range. The off axis colour shifts and graininess would drive me crazy. I like to switch between Samsung and pure Android devices to keep things fresh so its disappointing. I think the S9 will have the same form factor, upgraded camera, Samsung experience 8.5 and the FPS under the screen. If they do that I think it will be an awesome device.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Don't get me wrong i'm a fan of what Google and Android are doing, I want them to make great products and that camera alone in the Pixel 2 is amazing but I just cant accept the screen quality. Its not good enough for a phone in that price range. The off axis colour shifts and graininess would drive me crazy. I like to switch between Samsung and pure Android devices to keep things fresh so its disappointing. I think the S9 will have the same form factor, upgraded camera, Samsung experience 8.5 and the FPS under the screen. If they do that I think it will be an awesome device.

FPS under the screen in the s9 would be something.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.