Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Why the long delay by MKBHD, is he spending the weekend in his multi million dollar second home?

I was a big fan of Marquess, but lately just a little I think the rich success is getting to him, he's not the same this year as before. I know he's a mega millionaire now, good for him, he earned it. But he comes off a little disconnected from reality now, not the every day working stiff regular guy he used to be. And his videos seems to show that.

I still like Micheal Fischer best, and that Spanish dude from Pocket Now.

Reactions: Osaka23 and deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’d hate to see some people when buying a car or house!
Despite having to practically starve and save up for a year and a half, I was very picky buying my car after much research...in 1992. It lasted me until...wait...Yep, it’s still there in my driveway, waiting to be driven. It’s only needed major servicing once because my dad used it to jumpstart his car when he borrowed it, despite my husband and I warning him not to do it. My dad :rolleyes:.

I never meant to semi-retire it, but when my husband asked if I’d take over a used truck that he bought, I could not resist because the kids from the school carpool are growing and need more space. Otherwise, my car is still great for day trips near my home.

I’ve also been picky about my houses it’s been fun. I loved house hunting. We still visit open houses just to gawk. :D

So, you were saying? o_O:D

I’m not going to be super picky about the Pixel because if Google offers as good trade in terms next year as this year, I plan to trade mine in. When they finally get their manufacturing house in order and offer higher quality hardware that has more of the bells and whistles I’d want on it, then I will hang onto it past a year like I did with my IPhone 7 Plus. It sounds like the software experience is already pretty sweet. I’m hoping for much rosier things next year for Google Pixel.

I looked at my 7 Plus and realized it was capable of delivering me exactly the user experience I want from iOS and probably even better than IPhone X could do, since there is so much about the design of the X that I perceive could compromise the user experience for me, personally. This is a great place for me to be in as a consumer. I guess it sucks for Apple but they are intent on blazing new trails in Asia and the Middle East so I doubt they’d miss me for a measly year.

Iphone 8 Plus could be a nice upgrade for me, someday, but while its photos still show a tendency to blow out highlights and my camera does not, it makes no sense for me to incur the cost of upgrading while my phone is still in great shape. Maybe next summer I’ll think about trading up to IPhone 8 Plus or whatever they offer that fits in with what I’m looking for then.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Despite having to practically starve and save up for a year and a half, I was very picky buying my car after much research...in 1992. It lasted me until...wait...Yep, it’s still there in my driveway, waiting to be driven. It’s only needed major servicing once because my dad used it to jumpstart his car when he borrowed it, despite my husband and I warning him not to do it. My dad :rolleyes:.
Wow! That's amazing! What brand of car if you don't mind me asking?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I was a big fan of Marquess, but lately just a little I think the rich success is getting to him, he's not the same this year as before. I know he's a mega millionaire now, good for him, he earned it. But he comes off a little disconnected from reality now, not the every day working stiff regular guy he used to be. And his videos seems to show that.

I still like Micheal Fischer best, and that Spanish dude from Pocket Now.

How did he become a multi millionaire?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oooh you mean Haim Rivropewiyoerbm - at Pocket Now. :D

Always makes me laugh how quickly he says his name I'm always sat like o_O.
Me, too!

I can understand some Spanish if it’s spoken very slowly. Of course that never happens outside of classrooms! When my Hispanic friends get together and lapse into Spanish it sounds like they don’t even pause for breath! Japanese can sound like that, too.

Reactions: Aneres11

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Seems AndroidCentral's unit developed burn-in in just a week. So are some others on Twitter

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Well that’s something to keep an eye on. Call me Captain Obvious. Jeez. My Panda doesn’t come in until end of next month. I wonder if that’s enough time for them to change up the quality of the displays. I have absolutely zero concept of all the logistics involved in this.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Man I am glad I don't nit pick and obsess over small stuff, it would be hard to enjoy anything if you were doing that!

I admit that I obsess over things when purchasing devices. My life is consumed with work and family, so I like to make sure I get exactly what I want because I don't have time for dealing with issues or exchanging and resetting up devices. And besides new movies and TV shows, researching/purchasing new phones is all I really have to look forward to in life, so it does come down to obsessing. Gotta enjoy the little things. :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
https://m.androidcentral.com/google...fb_link&utm_content=63517&utm_campaign=social

Facebook comments on this post say it's a real issue, testers that have had the phone say burn in happens fast.

I still say the Pixel 2 XL would be my top choice for new phone, I'll take a so so screen over Lagwiz or generic LG UI.
[doublepost=1508695055][/doublepost]Off topic
https://9to5google.com/2017/10/22/google-pixel-2-xl-drop-test-vs-iphone-8/

But I would like to see shatter proof screens, and phones not made of easily breakable glass. At least Essential phone is pretty well tough built, but of course all phones having glass displays is always a risk. Wonder of there's another technology to create the screens?

Reactions: deany and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Okay that burn in thing was the last straw. I just read about it over on Android Central. So I just put in my order for the Black Pixel 2 128 GB and it should be here around the time my husband’s 2XL is due in. I’ve been wanting to do this since thinking about how I love flatness on displays and how I carry phones in my back pocket.

I didn’t cancel my Panda order because I’ve got to make sure I’m going to like the Pixel 2 as much as I think I will. And I will get to compare it directly to the 2 XL. Meanwhile we will see what kind of response Google gives to screengate 2017. ;)

I won’t get the higher dpi for VR but I already own an S8+ that can be used in the VR Gear Goggles and the Daydream ones, so that’s all good. I suspect I’m going to end up preferring the smaller Pixel 2 and if I do, that’s great because it means my bill stays below $800. Yay!

Either way can I just say as we head closer to the IPhone X preorder time, how incredibly happy I am to have absolutely zero interest in shelling out over $1200 or thereabouts for another iPhone. I’m not saying that to be snarky.

I’m really happy to have that spell broken. I’m going to have to give a shout out to @ChrisPirillo for making that easier. Goodness knows the guy took a lot of guff for that in the thread about his rants and I certainly contributed to the criticism he took. I still am not a video oriented person and process information best through reading. I can’t focus even on movies for very long and have to constantly rewind to know what’s happening. But he recently made a more concise version of an earlier longer rant that I had tremendous difficulty following. The new video was really well done, more organized and stayed on point and allowed me to focus and made me think. I think I already had a lot of these thoughts already percolating in my subconscious, but his more concise rant allowed all of those to coalesce into a point of view I could grasp consciously.

I still have resistance to passing judgement on something I haven’t held in my hands yet, but I’m starting to absorb what he’s saying about paying attention to the overall user experience and how Apple may be taking that in the wrong direction.

It’s a point of view that can also help me better evaluate how Google is handling things here on the other side of the tracks.

But my days as any kind of consumer sheep are hopefully over.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I am so close to getting the 2XL simply because I think Google are poised to take the future from Apple.
I really do think that Google’s grasp on AI and machine learning are the future and it’s something that Apple can’t compare them on.
I know Apples hardware will always be more refined and better but it’s the software and what’s going on in the background is where Google are going to pass them on. I just don’t know how serious Google are about sticking with their Pixel lineup until it’s perfect.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
My problem with Chris’s rants, are the same as some of the members I read here on MacRumors. He hasn’t used the device yet, and, he is commenting on something that only people who have had limited access to Pre-Prodouction, and pre-released versions of the UI and UX. I do agree with him that I think swiping to access the home screen will be a problem. I can’t count how many times i have had issues on both Android and iOS using gestures to do some type of action. As an aside, where is there a better mobile OS With regards to the items that bother him?

Android?

Sorry, there are some terrible aspects to Android UI and UX that I run into daily, and quite honestly, it is less consistent / optomized than in iOS in many cases. All that said, I understand that Android Runs on many more devices, and screen sizes. I just don’t see the point on being overly obsessed with things like button spacing, text kerning, and other small potatoes. Is the device stable, can you read what is on the screen, can you operate buttons without causing it to do something else? For me, yes, but there are other things attracting me to the Android platform than just the tiny UI and UX. One big one (for the pixel) was the fact that I could (besides screens) get the same hardware in a smaller device than the big one. I have always felt that Apple was pointing a finger at us regular 6, 6s, 7, 8 series phone users, and quietly whispering “loser”. Why force someone to a larger phone to get all of the hardware / software features? Aren’t they already paying enough for their device?

A simple thing like locking the “ears” around the “Notch” into a constant notification / status monitor, would resolve some of his biggest concerns. Don’t call it more display, simply making / calling it a notification / status area that seemlessly integrates into the main screen would likely have killed 50% or more of the negative attitude on the subject. It would also not force developers to address yet another screen aspect ratio, and code around the notch. On a personal note the notch doesn’t bother me, but, I don’t understand why Apple is making the developers deal with it in coding? It should have been locked to a status mode, or go dark when an app doesn’t use it.

I do appreciate his viewpoint regarding people targeting his Voice, Personality, video quality, he is right on with his opinion about them. I have had YouTubers comment on my Teeth before, or the way I speak, all irrelevant to the topic of the video itself. it’s when people go on a personal attack like that, I agree with @ChrisPirillo that their comments are irrelevant, and I will go further, and say they are quite sad individuals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.