Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I went by Verizon store after my workout this morning......None of the Pixel 2 XLs on display had burn-in. These units are on all day every day.
I'll checkout BB and another VZW store later today.
I envy you that workout and the ability to go to the Verizon store. I have to get up pretty close to daybreak every day, rain or shine, sick or not, to take care of the feral cat colony I monitor and to take my dog out. That was the extent of my exercise so far for today. After that I collapsed on the sofa. The rest of the family has the same virus I have but more advanced so I didn’t hear any stirring from them well past noon. :confused: We would normally have gone pumpkin shopping at the farmers market and put up Halloween decorations on a gorgeous weekend like we are having. :( At least we are getting this over with before our schedules get crazy later this week.

Thanks for checking out the display phones for us!
[doublepost=1508702290][/doublepost]
Took a video yesterday just to see what the microphone would pick up. Think it did pretty well.
That’s really good! :D

Somehow I missed your post. Thanks for going to the trouble to post this for us.

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The contextual menus that pop up when you're editing texts is SO much smarter. Is this an Oreo thing or a Gboard thing? And if it's the latter, why isn't it as smart on my S8? Aren't all Gboards created equal? Isn't it the same app?

And yes, I'm still using this Pixel 2 as if it was for me (it's not). It's kind of hard to let go.

Reactions: 5105973

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Thanks! I guess Google will increase the approx 15K tracks as time goes by. Tracks vary from country to country this looks like the UK list http://quinny898.co.uk/resources/pixel-songs/ and it will change depending on GPM most popular.
One drawback for me personally is I have a capped home data allowance so at 500MB per week, thays 2GB a month.
I may be wrong on this, but I thought I heard Google say in the keynote that it does all this locally so no data is transferred to Google's servers or anywhere online meaning it doesn't use any data.

Edit: yep, it's all offline according to this article: https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/19/how-googles-pixel-2-now-playing-song-identification-works/

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I may be wrong on this, but I thought I heard Google say in the keynote that it does all this locally so no data is transferred to Google's servers or anywhere online meaning it doesn't use any data.

Edit: yep, it's all offline according to this article: https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/19/how-googles-pixel-2-now-playing-song-identification-works/
Hi
Yep search is Local, but update is weekly:

"Google also confirmed that the database is updated weekly, depending on what’s popular on Google Play Music in your country. This weekly update, which only ever occurs over Wi-Fi, is incremental and replaces the most outdated part of your country-specific database with new songs." (500MB) https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/19/how-googles-pixel-2-now-playing-song-identification-works/
edit
I've just re-read that and although its 500MB in total, only changes will update so it will be a lot less than 500MB on WiFi

Reactions: Hustler1337

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi
Yep search is Local, but update is weekly:

"Google also confirmed that the database is updated weekly, depending on what’s popular on Google Play Music in your country. This weekly update, which only ever occurs over Wi-Fi, is incremental and replaces the most outdated part of your country-specific database with new songs." (500MB) https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/19/how-googles-pixel-2-now-playing-song-identification-works/
Ah, I didn't realise you're referring to the updates. Makes sense now why you was concerned about your home data allowance. :)

Reactions: deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol, it’s funny but just for kicks I decided to chat with my Google Assistant on Allo. I am texting it in a very normal conversational way and it provided me with links to informative articles (about Pixel phones) and accurately found schools for my aspiring actress kid that do provide acting lessons even at ordinary schools that aren’t known for having a drama program. I was just surprised how well it processes my side of the conversation. It helps that I can text to it.

Edit to add a little snap of me goofing off with Google AI. Clearly I’m still spooked by that Terminator movie I watched a few days ago on a road trip.

F8F7E1F8-88B5-4FC4-A7B8-8C19B878AC53.png

I like that I can text Google Assistant. I forget, is there going to be an option to text Siri our queries? I’m used to just talking to Siri and being tragically misunderstood like when I talk to my hearing impaired mom who refuses to get hearing aids.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did you guys see the burn in from Alex Dobie Pixel 2 XL on Twitter?

Crazy! I think LG didn't really care much about the Pixel line.
I keep reading people commenting that they got burned on LG quality before so they weren’t surprised LG Pixels are having problems.

I don’t know what to make of all this. My husband’s Pixel 2XL Case arrived today and he was happy to see it’s close in size to his 7 Plus. He’s building up cautious optimism for it. He is aware of the bad rumors but he’s laid back about it all.

I hope the new IPhone X’s don’t have any ugly OLED issues to disappoint new owners. I do worry too many people expect too much of OLED over LCDs. It could be a problem because Apple LCDs have matured and been perfected so much. OLED still has some issues. I hope there are no unpleasant surprises. Samsung has worked wonders with them but goodness knows I’ve seen what happens when they don’t turn out well.

I will have to hope Apple is being meticulous and demanding about the screens it contracted from Samsung.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Some part of me thinks that perhaps some of these reviewers with problems are fans of other devices... Or have a bone to pick or something...

Not to say there are not handsets with problems. Didn't the one plus 5 have an upside down screen? What about the s8 red screen? (I think it was the s8) anyone remember that pentile display on that Motorola Verizon banded Droid? One of the first 4g LTE devices?

I don't know... Sounds like some are just looking for issues? Dim your screen all the way to 20% just don't sound much like normal use to me?

Can't comment on the "burn in" or "image retention" issues yet.

Just thinking out loud a bit.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I keep reading people commenting that they got burned on LG quality before so they weren’t surprised LG Pixels are having problems.

I don’t know what to make of all this. My husband’s Pixel 2XL Case arrived today and he was happy to see it’s close in size to his 7 Plus. He’s building up cautious optimism for it. He is aware of the bad rumors but he’s laid back about it all.

I hope the new IPhone X’s don’t have any ugly OLED issues to disappoint new owners. I do worry too many people expect too much of OLED over LCDs. It could be a problem because Apple LCDs have matured and been perfected so much. OLED still has some issues. I hope there are no unpleasant surprises. Samsung has worked wonders with them but goodness knows I’ve seen what happens when they don’t turn out well.

I will have to hope Apple is being meticulous and demanding about the screens it contracted from Samsung.
Yeah, I think that not all devices would be bad. It's the same with the V30. A lot of people complained but I've got a two year warranty here. So I'm pretty optimistic that LG would be willing to help me out if my screen were to go bad.

I feel that yes, there is a chance I'll experience burn in. There is a chance I'll get other abnormalities. However right now this device fits my needs in all ways, so I'll deal with the bridge if I get to it.

Hopefully his Pixel will be fine.

Edit: If the X has screen issues... Oh boy this forum is going to implode.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Reactions: deany and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Those Google chat peeps...sigh. Only time I ever talked to one was to ask if the first generation Pixel recorded in stereo audio. The rep was as sweet as could be. She said she didn’t know but she would ask and get back to me. She chatted a bit with me while we waited for the answer. Whoever she asked misinformed us both and assured me it could record in stereo. Well, it can’t. :rolleyes:

Allo assistant plucked me some search results that reminded me the little Pixel 2s have that audio click or high pitch screech noise to be on the lookout for. I had totally forgotten about screechgate. :p I think there’s strong speculation that one has an easy software fix.

I’ll also have to see how it connects to my car via Bluetooth. So there are about three areas to check through once our Pixel 2s arrive. That’s not horrible. I remember when the Iphone 7 and 7 Plus were first released. So many complaints! We had friends who had horrible ones and returned them.

Yet here I am feeling my 7 Plus is in the top 3 of IPhones I’ve owned. My favorites being this one, the iPhone 4 I kept and used close to 3 years, and my IPhone SE that I still have.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Some part of me thinks that perhaps some of these reviewers with problems are fans of other devices... Or have a bone to pick or something...

Not to say there are not handsets with problems. Didn't the one plus 5 have an upside down screen? What about the s8 red screen? (I think it was the s8) anyone remember that pentile display on that Motorola Verizon banded Droid? One of the first 4g LTE devices?

I don't know... Sounds like some are just looking for issues? Dim your screen all the way to 20% just don't sound much like normal use to me?

Can't comment on the "burn in" or "image retention" issues yet.

Just thinking out loud a bit.

I don't think it's bias so much as looking for issues. Ericka Griffin's video bordered on psychotic. When I watch most tech reviews I don't see folks much interested in tech anymore. They'll spend half the video obsessing over form factor or screen brightness and spend 3 seconds on performance. Chris Pirillo is really good on sticking to what matters but he's got a super obnoxious delivery.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I don't think it's bias so much as looking for issues. Ericka Griffin's video bordered on psychotic. When I watch most tech reviews I don't see folks much interested in tech anymore. They'll spend half the video obsessing over form factor or screen brightness and spend 3 seconds on performance. Chris Pirillo is really good on sticking to what matters but he's got a super obnoxious delivery.

I haven't had a chance to watch his hour long review yet.

I'm trying to remain optimistic or at least neutral about the device while I wait for my pre order to become a real order.

This probably will not be a daily driver for me, likely I'll retire my Nexus 6 and put my at&t SIM card in it.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I haven't had a chance to watch his hour long review yet.

I'm trying to remain optimistic or at least neutral about the device while I wait for my pre order to become a real order.

This probably will not be a daily driver for me, likely I'll retire my Nexus 6 and put my at&t SIM card in it.

I would be shocked if anyone who uses a Pixel 2 doesn't love the hell out of it.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Beggers belief that this has happened. The quality control must have been done on a clock watching Friday afternoon https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin...-line-where-the-g6-will-be-made/#73b94e5974c6 .
"If a single defect is found among 100 units, then the remaining 99 units will be considered defective. Selling large quantities for the sake of sales is not the best solution. Every product we assemble for our customers must be of excellent quality."

Was Ian Hwang on holiday?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin...nd-v30-lg-phones-are-going-oled/#6e51f51e6ede

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Got the chance to handle both white and black Pixel 2's today to compare them, and holy cow, the black one feels soooo much nicer to hold. It's truly brushed aluminium. Whereas the white one has a far more plastic/smooth coating, which adds to its "cheaper, plastic-y" feel.

The black one is much nicer to look at, too.

[doublepost=1508725389][/doublepost]Yikes, about the Pixel 2 XL screen burn in. The screen situation, let's call it, of the larger model gets more sketch by the passing day.

Last edited:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Got the chance to handle both white and black Pixel 2's today to compare them, and holy cow, the black one feels soooo much nicer to hold. It's truly brushed aluminium. Whereas the white one has a far more plastic/smooth coating, which adds to its "cheaper, plastic-y" feel.

The black one is much nicer to look at, too.
This is good news to me as I placed an order for two Pixel 2’s (non-XL) in “Just Black” last night but I wasn’t sure if I’d prefer the black or white better. Now I’m even happier with my decision, thanks!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This is good news to me as I placed an order for two Pixel 2’s (non-XL) in “Just Black” last night but I wasn’t sure if I’d prefer the black or white better. Now I’m even happier with my decision, thanks!

The black model looks much better in person. I'm not crazy about the design, but the pictures don't do it any justice.

Enjoy. It's a blissful user experience.

Reactions: timeconsumer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.