Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm seeing minor signs of ghosting, too. I love the device, but I'm concerned about resale. I'm goin to ride out the issue and see how bad it gets. I replace my phone yearly and Google gives a fair deal for the trade in program

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This is good news to me as I placed an order for two Pixel 2’s (non-XL) in “Just Black” last night but I wasn’t sure if I’d prefer the black or white better. Now I’m even happier with my decision, thanks!
I was in the same position yesterday afternoon when I decided to go ahead and order a Pixel 2 to try, after talking to my husband about it.

I would have preferred to get white, but that color won’t ship until my Panda is due in. I’d rather have a Pixel 2 come in at the same time as my husband’s this week, so that I can do a full comparison between the two models and cancel the Panda before it ships, if it turns out I really do prefer the smaller Pixel, as I am starting to suspect I will.

I’m glad to hear that the black is so nice. I thought so, too, at Verizon, but did not have a white Pixel to compare it to. There was a Kinda Blue one but the color looked so depressing under their lighting. I could tell it would be gorgeous under any other lighting, but the Verizon store lighting sucked out its soul and turned it Kinda sick gray with a hint of cat puke. Their lights did that to just about every color, which is why it was pretty much impossible to get decent photos out of my iPhone, S8+ and the display Pixels there. Their lighting defied even the auto white balance settings on my normallly flawless iPhone 7 Plus and the manual ones on the other phone cameras. Yuck.

I don’t remember a plastic feel to the Kinda Blue, but it’s been over a week and a lot of activity has happened in my life since then, so I Kinda forget Kinda Blue details. ;)
[doublepost=1508763280][/doublepost]
Google needs to recall the Pixel 2 XL. No way around it. For $1000 this is completely unacceptable. This phone’s display should compare favourably to Note 8 and iPhone X and it doesn’t.
Dude, don’t jinx it. Iphone X isn’t out to the public yet.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This is good news to me as I placed an order for two Pixel 2’s (non-XL) in “Just Black” last night but I wasn’t sure if I’d prefer the black or white better. Now I’m even happier with my decision, thanks!
What's your ship date?
[doublepost=1508763579][/doublepost]
Will Google cover 'burn in' under the 2 year Warranty?
Of course they will. It's a manufacturer defect.

Reactions: deany

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Anyone have a recomendation for the RGB LED on the Pixel 2? I tried Light Flow, but, it sadly only works for the first notification, then switches back to White.

Hopefully a patch will fix that!

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks for the reply!
when you say "off course they will" would you say the same for one dead pixel on a smartphone?, as I have read some manufactures have said "if its three or less dead pixels we dont replace".
If you are persistent, I think you can have a lot of success

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
https://android.gadgethacks.com/new...ling-up-now-its-affecting-pixel-2-xl-0180669/

*sigh*

LG still hasn't come up with a quality display for mobile in awhile. Not since the G2 have I been impressed. Image retention happens on my current phones which are LCD, so I put plain black wallpaper and anything with white or black backgrounds. The news of burn-in on the Pixel 2 XL as POLED is worrisome.

The iPhone X is the one to get.
Maybe, maybe not. Iphone X may end up with its own set of issues, just like the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus did the first month or so. I remember thinking I wouldn’t touch an iPhone 7 Plus with a boat hook and now it’s one of my favorite phones ever, despite iOS 11 and Apple admitting to not giving a snip about how iPhones work as actual phones.

Yes, my call quality does suck. It’s been that way on iPhones for awhile now, for me and most people who call me on an iPhone. I couldn’t understand why, until that article came out here on MR about Apple’s feud with Qualcomm and someone at Apple was quoted to have remarked that modems aren’t important because people using phones as phones isn’t an important use case anymore relative to other uses the iPhone has.

My jaw just dropped. I have a lot of elderly relatives to keep in touch with via the phone. Verizon effed up our land line number and it has been a years long dispute to fix it. It’s a long story. Anyway all I have for calls is cellular. When I need to call my family I use my Samsung.

Reactions: deany

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ordered on the 4th black 2XL 64 and just got charged last night. No shipping email yet and nothing showing up on MyFedex. But I can't cancel or change my order anymore :). C'mon lets get those trucks and planes rolling!

Mine says
Ordered
Oct 4
Ships
Oct 23
Delivery
Oct 24 – 25

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I contacted Google Support via chat to document my burn in. It was a really good experience with an interesting tidbit.

The rep wanted me to exchange immediately, of course. However he offered me the ability to send it to Google and he'd send me a new unit. This is despite the fact thaty phone was purchased through Verizon. Even after I brought up the fact that I could walk into a VZW store and get it done, he offered it again. Seems to me Google is going to be very attentive towards this issue. Bodes well for a fix.

And here's my bottom line: I love the phone. I am gonna exhange. I trust Google to do the right thing if there are any issues.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm still waiting for the charge to hit my card. Nothing from Google since the pre order. I would have thought with standard shipping and a delivery date between the 25th and 26th the charge would have hit this weekend?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Mine should ship today, feel like a guinea pig now with all these display issues.

Honestly, this is how I feel about first round software updates, too. Pixel users are beta testers in many ways. However, the other problem -- waiting too long for an update -- isn't good either.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Honestly, this is how I feel about first round software updates, too. Pixel users are beta testers in many ways. However, the other problem -- waiting too long for an update -- isn't good either.
You know the drill. Always wait for the x.1 update.

Especially with iOS updates. Yikes.

(I'm actually running Android 8.0; color me a hypocrite) :p

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
You know the drill. Always wait for the x.1 update.

Especially with iOS updates. Yikes.

(I'm actually running Android 8.0; color me a hypocrite) :p

My Pixel 2 won't update to Oct security patch. Just keeps saying phone is up to date, but still on Sept's patch.

Find that weird... Does anyone know? They're still rolling the Oct patchout in waves? It's not complete yet?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I think a lot of pre orders where "order now or wait 6 months for availability again then, well might as well wait for the next one..." Type of thought processes :)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I think a lot of pre orders where "order now or wait 6 months for availability again then, well might as well wait for the next one..." Type of thought processes :)

YES. It's pretty clear Google came to play this time though. I notice the store had black 128 gb XL in stock for immediate shipping. Looks like the big G is finally serious about the hardware game. Interesting ramifications for the industry if true.

Reactions: 5105973 and v0lume4

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My Pixel 2 won't update to Oct security patch. Just keeps saying phone is up to date, but still on Sept's patch.

Find that weird... Does anyone know? They're still rolling the Oct patchout in waves? It's not complete yet?
Just curious...what patch is your S8 on?
[doublepost=1508774154][/doublepost]
Mine's still on September as well. Not sure why.
What patch is your Note 8 on?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
What's your ship date?
I ordered from bestbuy.com and it looks like it should be sent out today with delivery on Wednesday October 25th. Normally I would prefer ordering directly from Google, but Best Buy is offering $100 off so I jumped on that.

I’ve read that Google is skipping October for security patches on the Pixel 2’s.The next one you will receive will be November. I tried to look for a source to link but I think it was a random reddit post so take this with a grain of salt.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I’ve read that Google is skipping October for security patches on the Pixel 2’s.The next one you will receive will be November. I tried to look for a source to link but I think it was a random reddit post so take this with a grain of salt.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

Odd!
[doublepost=1508777965][/doublepost]
Just curious...what patch is your S8 on?

August.

I think Oct is the first month Samsung missed? And if Google is skipping Oct themselves, I wonder if something went awry. Maybe the S8 goes straight to November patch. Samsung missed one or two for the S7E similarly last year, but would update with the following month's patch.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Odd!
[doublepost=1508777965][/doublepost]

August.

I think Oct is the first month Samsung missed? And if Google is skipping Oct themselves, I wonder if something went awry. Maybe the S8 goes straight to November patch. Samsung missed one or two for the S7E similarly last year, but would update with the following month's patch.
What happened to Sept?..my N8 is on August too. I wonder why Google had such an issue with the Sept and Oct patches.

Reactions: epicrayban

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I was in the same position yesterday afternoon when I decided to go ahead and order a Pixel 2 to try, after talking to my husband about it.

I would have preferred to get white, but that color won’t ship until my Panda is due in. I’d rather have a Pixel 2 come in at the same time as my husband’s this week, so that I can do a full comparison between the two models and cancel the Panda before it ships, if it turns out I really do prefer the smaller Pixel, as I am starting to suspect I will.

I’m glad to hear that the black is so nice. I thought so, too, at Verizon, but did not have a white Pixel to compare it to. There was a Kinda Blue one but the color looked so depressing under their lighting. I could tell it would be gorgeous under any other lighting, but the Verizon store lighting sucked out its soul and turned it Kinda sick gray with a hint of cat puke. Their lights did that to just about every color, which is why it was pretty much impossible to get decent photos out of my iPhone, S8+ and the display Pixels there. Their lighting defied even the auto white balance settings on my normallly flawless iPhone 7 Plus and the manual ones on the other phone cameras. Yuck.

I don’t remember a plastic feel to the Kinda Blue, but it’s been over a week and a lot of activity has happened in my life since then, so I Kinda forget Kinda Blue details. ;)
That’s a huge reason that played into my decision, having to wait for the white one whereas I would get the black much earlier. Looking at photos I liked both the white and black so I wasn’t sure what I’d prefer but I like what I’m reading about the black on here and other websites I visit.

As far as the kinda blue I liked that from pictures and was leaning towards that until I read it has a plastic button. For some reason that just left me uninterested in that color.

I’m glad to hear you’ll have both in your possession and look forward to reading about your thoughts on both devices.

Odd!
Yeah, I’m not sure what’s going on but it is odd indeed. Good thing November is right around the corner and if I’m not mistaken we should only have to wait until Nov 5th for the security patch.

Reactions: deany and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.