Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That’s a huge reason that played into my decision, having to wait for the white one whereas I would get the black much earlier. Looking at photos I liked both the white and black so I wasn’t sure what I’d prefer but I like what I’m reading about the black on here and other websites I visit.

As far as the kinda blue I liked that from pictures and was leaning towards that until I read it has a plastic button. For some reason that just left me uninterested in that color.

I’m glad to hear you’ll have both in your possession and look forward to reading about your thoughts on both devices.

Yeah, I’m not sure what’s going on but it is odd indeed. Good thing November is right around the corner and if I’m not mistaken we should only have to wait until Nov 5th for the security patch.
I forgot about the plastic button. Do the Black Pixels have plastic or metal buttons?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I forgot about the plastic button. Do the Black Pixels have plastic or metal buttons?
Someone on reddit said that the power buttons on the black models are indeed metal. They said that only the colored buttons are plastic (read: the orange button on the Panda 2XL as well as the mint green button on the Kinda Blue Pixel 2). So I assume that the power button on the white Pixel 2's are also metal.

Reactions: timeconsumer

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't want to sound like a broken record on the screen, but I have screen burn-in at the software nav. I spoke to Google and they added this to my case. Nonetheless, the replacement device is coming in tomorrow and I hope that will be defect free!
Good to know they addressed it immediately.

That's why i'm holding on to the device. So far, I don't have the burn in issue and it's clearly a factory defect.

That's how much I love this phone's software and services.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017

That's why i'm holding on to the device. So far, I don't have the burn in issue and it's clearly a factory defect.

Yes, the customer care representative was a solid chap, and he sent me an email afterwards telling me that I can reach out to him for any questions/concerns even after the case is closed. You don't see customer service like that these days anymore!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
on my black 2 XL, it looks (and somewhat feels like) metal. But I can't tell 100%
I understand. My $1000 4 month old glasses frames just broke irreparably. It actually happened a couple of days ago but I had enough left to keep it going but this morning what was left of the hinge gave way. Half of the hinge bent and snapped completely off the other day when I was taking my glasses off to see some small print. I take very good care of my glasses. I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 13 years old and never had this happen before. Just once in my life I decided to splurge and be fashionable instead of buying the sturdy el cheapo frames my insurance covers. Hah.

Anyway, looking at that damn hinge I swear it’s made of plastic painted to look like metal. But I can’t be sure. It could be fragile aluminum. Bend gate for my hinge. What manufacturer in their right minds makes a hinge out of fragile materials.

I’m not worried about what the button is made of but I was curious if they actually went to the bother to make the buttons out of different materials to add pops of color.
[doublepost=1508782041][/doublepost]
I suspected that the display madness is part of the reason in MKBHD being one of the last to release his review of the Pixel 2.

"Talking through the Pixel 2 XL display has turned info a mini “Explained” video inside the review of the phone. Video going live TODAY."
https://mobile.twitter.com/MKBHD/status/922509161354711040?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
Lew at Unbox Therapy is running a bit slow, too, but he says he was waiting to get retail units and didn’t keep the units he showed for the unboxing.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
DetroitBorg also got burn in on his model. :confused:

Tyh2aNO.png

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Pixel 2 XL screen is really becoming quite a mess.

I was never a fan of the 2 XL, but sad to see this happen. Google does not deserve near $1K for the 2 XL. I mean, I didn't think they deserved it before these screen issues popped up, but now, even more so.
Yeah, I kind of agree. Mine is okay (no polarizer. Yuck.). I am going to monitor mine closely and get google to replace it if there is a problem. For now, though, I can't really complain.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I kind of agree. Mine is okay (no polarizer. Yuck.). I am going to monitor mine closely and get google to replace it if there is a problem. For now, though, I can't really complain.

When you say no polarizer what do you mean? I thought they put a poloarizer on the 2 XLs? Or you just mean yours doesn't cause any ill effects?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I'll be interested to see if the issue clears up going forward, if this is just a batch issue.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Yuuuup. I've decided for my own issue I'm returning the VZW unit and ordered a new unlocked unit from Google. It will arrive Thursday. VZW didn't have any in stock anyway, and I got Google's insurance. So I'll be covered even if something crops up a few months from now and they issue a fix.

Reactions: 5105973 and v0lume4

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am kinda interested in the Pixel 2 and makes me wonder if I would've been happier with that over the Note 8 even though the Note 8 has been fantastic for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.