Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yes, there appears to be a blue tint that is prominent if the phone is not looked at straight on. If seems to be much more pronounced than most phones. There just also a screen burn in issue.
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Google should have gone with samsung on this. I'm not sure if LG usually have poor quality of screen or what though.

*thanks for a simple answer.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
A simple yes or no would be nice.

Anyway, I got my answer. Looks like it's a failure on Google's part for going with LG.
Believe it or not he wasn’t being snarky. There’s some good discussions and full explanations going back 2-3 pages complete with links to reviews and articles and all sorts of good stuff.

So far as we know it’s just the 2 XLs with screen issues: extreme blue shift, grain on low settings, washed out colors from a poor calibration to sRGB standard (according to Erica Griffin on YouTube) and varied other weirdness.

The little Pixel 2 so far just has some crackle or high pitched sounds being reported, sort of like what some people report about iPhones.

Both models are reported to have some issues with Bluetooth connectivity to car audio systems, in conjunction with using Google Assistant.

That about sums up what I’ve seen reported over the last few days.

Sources include Android Central, Reddit and YouTube.

(Edited to give Erica Griffin’s whole name and correct my misspelling).

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Believe it or not he wasn’t being snarky. There’s some good discussions and full explanations going back 2-3 pages complete with links to reviews and articles and all sorts of good stuff.

So far as we know it’s just the 2 XLs with screen issues: extreme blue shift, grain on low settings, washed out colors from a poor calibration to sRGB standard (according to Ericka on YouTube) and varied other weirdness.

The little Pixel 2 so far just has some crackle or high pitched sounds being reported, sort of like what some people report about iPhones.

Both models are reported to have some issues with Bluetooth connectivity to car audio systems, in conjunction with using Google Assistant.

That about sums up what I’ve seen reported over the last few days.

Sources include Android Central, Reddit and YouTube.
GrumpyMom, you're the best. LOL. Anyway. Have you experienced any burn-in as well? There's been reports from various youtube videos mentioning about this. This is something that software can't fix. I don't know how Google would answer to that. Regardless of the screen problems and other various hardware issues as well, I would say Google is seriously taking these report very serious.

Reactions: deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
GrumpyMom, you're the best. LOL. Anyway. Have you experienced any burn-in as well? There's been reports from various youtube videos mentioning about this. This is something that software can't fix. I don't know how Google would answer to that. Regardless of the screen problems and other various hardware issues as well, I would say Google is seriously taking these report very serious.
Glad to help! I don’t have my Pixel yet. My husband has a Black Pixel 2 XL 128 GB due to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. I have the smaller Black Pixel 2 due probably Thursday or Friday. I also have a Black and White Pixel 2Xl due in late November. The fate of that order depends on how much I like the Pixel 2. And what I think of my husband’s Pixel 2 XL.

We are also going to be part of IPhone X preorder madness for an IPhone X for my husband. I’m going to try and order for him and we will cancel whichever order is latest in the shipping queue. I want to keep my 7 Plus. My Samsung S8+ actually still keeps me pretty busy. I complain about the stuff that’s wrong with it but it’s interesting to mess with.

Reactions: deany and pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Glad to help! I don’t have my Pixel yet. My husband has a Black Pixel 2 XL 128 GB due to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. I have the smaller Black Pixel 2 due probably Thursday or Friday. I also have a Black and White Pixel 2Xl due in late November. The fate of that order depends on how much I like the Pixel 2. And what I think of my husband’s Pixel 2 XL.

We are also going to be part of IPhone X preorder madness for an IPhone X for my husband. I’m going to try and order for him and we will cancel whichever order is latest in the shipping queue. I want to keep my 7 Plus. My Samsung S8+ actually still keeps me pretty busy. I complain about the stuff that’s wrong with it but it’s interesting to mess with.
Share with us your user's experience.

Reactions: 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm thrilled with my Pixel 2 (non XL) so far. I'm very happy to have traded my S8 for it. I've not had any issues with Bluetooth in my car, but I don't have Google Assistant enabled.

I love the increased saturation of the screen compared to my S8 in Basic mode. Web pages and photos are accurate but icons and app UIs looks very nice.

These speakers are amazing too. I wasn't all that impressed with the idea of front facing speakers, but it really does sounds good.

I don't even notice the bezels. The phone looks great to me.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Also, comparing across iOS and Android is sketchy. The apps are very different on different platforms.

You’re right.

Sadly, most cross platform apps tend to run better on iOS because ... I don’t know why, really. It’s just what I’ve noticed.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You’re right.

Sadly, most cross platform apps tend to run better on iOS because ... I don’t know why, really. It’s just what I’ve noticed.

In what way? Google apps look and run the same on both. Some like Whatsapp can integrate with Contact on galaxy but not iphone. 3rd party keyboards are kind of a hit or miss in iOS.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
MKBHD's review is OUT!

No screen burn in or graininess on his model. Brilliant review, one of my favorite from him yet.
lol, it was the complete opposite reaction of Erica Griffin’s reaction in her Twitter and Unboxing. She was really angry, from what I could tell. But she might have gotten the really bad ones. I couldn’t see completely what she was so upset about. She spoke of grain and attempted to show it but it did t convey on camera. I can’t wait for her full review, assuming she does one. She might have boxed her phones up and sent them back for a refund and spent the money on a nice dinner and a movie. :p

Reactions: v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
lol, it was the complete opposite reaction of Erica Griffin’s reaction in her Twitter and Unboxing. She was really angry, from what I could tell. But she might have gotten the really bad ones. I couldn’t see completely what she was so upset about. She spoke of grain and attempted to show it but it did t convey on camera. I can’t wait for her full review, assuming she does one. She might have boxed her phones up and sent them back for a refund and spent the money on a nice dinner and a movie. :p
Ha! Quite the opposite indeed. Like Marques (MKBHD) said in his review: clearly this is a case of some people having issues, and some people not. In his case, he doesn't have any issues. He makes his reviews based solely off of his experience with the device.

He also made the point of saying (I'm paraphrasing but I'm close) "if you're the kind of person that goes into a dark room with a gray image on your screen with the brightness turned all the way down to check for spots -- DON'T buy the Pixel 2!" :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.