Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I know that is all tonuge in cheek, but with the way I personally use my phone I could be one of the people who would notice screen issues if the brightness is right down.
Oh I totally understand, I do the same thing with my phone. I actually use my Nexus 6P at minimum brightness every evening. So I'm right there with ya.

OLED has been around so long that I actually had an AMOLED screen in my first Android phone back in 2010. I look at the screen of my current phone (OLED), which is made by Huawei, and I wonder where did they get this screen from? It's looks terrific. Why are we still having manufacturing issues with this screen technology?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lisa is one of the best reviewers out there!
Yeah she’s blunt and honest without being needlessly derogatory. I like her delivery style, too. I do still wish she hadn’t glossed over how it actually works as a phone. I guess that’s hard to comment on since everyone’s mileage is going to vary on that based on so many different factors.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I hope reviewers are unbiased when the iPhone X releases. They better call out possible poor screens and issues just like they're slamming Google's new phone.

But no, everyone will say the X is revolutionary and a magical device, and the most amazing smartphone in years. Blah, blah, blah. ( where in reality the iPhone X is basically just an iPhone 8 without bezels, and has a full screen. Which is nothing new as of Fall 2017 )

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I hope reviewers are unbiased when the iPhone X releases. They better call out possible poor screens and issues just like they're slamming Google's new phone.

But no, everyone will say the X is revolutionary and a magical device, and the most amazing smartphone in years. Blah, blah, blah. ( where in reality the iPhone X is basically just an iPhone 8 without bezels, and has a full screen. Which is nothing new as of Fall 2017 )

Don't forget about the excessive amount of gestures to learn how to operate the thing :eek:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
TBH I found that article to be a gigantic overreaction, but then again I haven't spent my money on a 2XL. Vlad is acting like this is the Note 7 all over again but this is probably more down to LG messing up a batch of panels.

I agree that Google need to fix it, but I'm sure they are working on it.
Yeah I don’t see how it’s any worse than cat pee yellow displays on previous generations of iPhones. That issue was pretty widespread and common but other than a lot of complaints on the forum, from what I recall the media took it in stride. Kind of the same with this year’s Samsung pink screens. Though it helps Samsung could fix the pink, more or less, without recalls or massive returns.

I thought it was pretty much understood and accepted among Android owners, anyway, that OLED can be temperamental. I guess everyone is worried that LG can’t deliver any good screens...ever, not even for returns and exchanges.

I can see the point Vlad is trying to make since this is early days for Google. Because they’re competing against established smart phone icons like Apple and Samsung, they have to be able to hit the ground running with unimpeachable quality from the get go. But I think he’s underestimating the level to which Apple and Samsung are still capable of effing up a new release. I think the manufacturers know full well the next -gate is just around the corner for any of them. They don’t get too smug about it anymore. But the commentators are a different story and make their money playing one company off against another.

I hope most sincerely the iPhone X release goes beautifully and buries all the naysaying, including mine. After all, I’ll be up at an ungodly hour preordering this for my husband, or attempting to. But realistically, I am already planning to take a break from the IPhone part of the forums for awhile as inevitably someone discovers something is not working perfectly and “at $999 and above I deserve perfection”. No, they deserve fast, responsive, polite customer service to make it right for the consumer. Perfection is not of this earth unless we are talking about my right pinkie toe. It’s cute. :p

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I am all for Vlad's personal crusade if it gets google to fix the issues, not sure if they can though. Mine shipped yesterday but they sent it ground for some reason, so won't arrive until Thursday. Kind of ridiculous.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

It will really be interesting to see how they treat the X reviews, indeed. Would they let anyone else get away with a notch?

I have a feeling the X won't have as many or as severe screen issues since they're sourcing their panels from Samsung.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Vlad again and the hatchet job he wants to do with the Pixel 2. Is this his second article basically saying the same thing?
While his fellow Verge reviewers liked the Pixel 2.

I really like The Verge but too often they resort to clickbait opinion pieces for content. You'll click on something thinking it's a researched article and instead it turns out to be some weird personal rant against something.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think the point is, at $850 + taxes, you shouldn't be accepting this sort of compromise.

You can accept compromises like the lack of wireless charging or the removal of the headphone jack -- these are design-related decisions that you can agree or disagree with -- but you shouldn't accept compromises in quality control. Not at these prices, not at this premium-level of branding.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

What are you talking about? No one uses the phrases "revolutionary" and "magical" in relation to Apple products except Android folks making fun of Apple products. Apple's stuff is probably the most scrutinized. Forget the display issues on the Pixel XL for a moment: I don't recall reading all the "consumer hostile" articles about the removal of the headphone jack, or how it can't possibly be a flagship since it doesn't have wireless charging, etc. The Pixel 2 is not even a little different than the original save for the speakers and everyone is okay with that, whereas the iPhone 8 got creamed for being the same as previous (same is actually true of Samsung's form factor, which is now three iterations in).

These complaints, incidentally, aren't untrue but the idea that Apple is somehow given a pass on scrutiny doesn't jibe with reality. If anything the iPhone X will be the most scrutinized release of the year.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
In what way? Google apps look and run the same on both. Some like Whatsapp can integrate with Contact on galaxy but not iphone. 3rd party keyboards are kind of a hit or miss in iOS.

I could talk about Twitter glitches on Android compared to iOS where sometimes things don’t really load on Android. I could also talk about how the subscription feed loads slower on the Note8 or Pixel XL with the white screen just sitting there for a bit.

Two quick examples, mind you. It’s never big things, it’s always things like the VRV app saying it can’t load a video the first time or the Chase app just crashing for no GD reason any time it’s been backgrounded on Android.
[doublepost=1508857407][/doublepost]
What are you talking about? No one uses the phrases "revolutionary" and "magical" in relation to Apple products except Android folks making fun of Apple products. Apple's stuff is probably the most scrutinized. Forget the display issues on the Pixel XL for a moment: I don't recall reading all the "consumer hostile" articles about the removal of the headphone jack, or how it can't possibly be a flagship since it doesn't have wireless charging, etc. The Pixel 2 is not even a little different than the original save for the speakers and everyone is okay with that, whereas the iPhone 8 got creamed for being the same as previous (same is actually true of Samsung's form factor, which is now three iterations in).

These complaints, incidentally, aren't untrue but the idea that Apple is somehow given a pass on scrutiny doesn't jibe with reality. If anything the iPhone X will be the most scrutinized release of the year.

The only people who use magical and revolutionary these days are people mocking Apple and Apple customers.

Reactions: jamezr

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have no clue how these things work so I am curious. If Google were to say, ok we get it, people want a saturated screen... How quickly can they just go in there and add a profile for a ultra vivid option or something? How complex is this to rollout as a mass update? Seems they can fix certain things in extremely fast order and if I was them I'd be doing it asap just to shut people up.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Bloated mess for you. :)

What bloat?

Samsung phones aren't a bloated mess......
ouch, struck a nerve with the samsung crowd. i suppose its completely normal for a phone to need 6gb of ram in order to not be a completely sloppy mess. good, thanks for letting me know

Why do you troll threads to stir up problems? You obviously like apple phones better than others...so why do you feel the need to to always go into threads of phones you do not like or ever have the intention of buying....just to post something negative?
rofl what are you even talking about? i purchased the pixel 2 xl and this is in fact the pixel thread. you dont have to get this mad every time i say something negative about your beloved samsung products. i've owned more android phones than iphones - calling me a troll at this point is just ridiculous (and against forum rules btw). i just dont like samsung's latest offerings - overkill hardware to get over terrible software instead of just optimizing their phones like google seems to be doing.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
ouch, struck a nerve with the samsung crowd. i suppose its completely normal for a phone to need 6gb of ram in order to not be a completely sloppy mess. good, thanks for letting me know

rofl what are you even talking about? i purchased the pixel 2 xl and this is in fact the pixel thread. you dont have to get this mad every time i say something negative about your beloved samsung products. i think they're terrible, get used to it.
The S8 and S8+ run very well.

Lol, the OnePlus5 128GB comes 8GB RAM. Technology improves yearly.

Very strange to be against better hardware,but then again this is MacRumors, guess I should expect it.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Does it matter if it takes 6gb ram or 3gb ram to run smoothly? I surely don't care. It's not like Samsung is charging more for 6gb than Apple is charging for 3gb. The fact is, the S8/S8+/Note 8 work wonderfully. I'm not the "Samsung Crowd" as I've ripped on them in prior years. I have no brand loyalty as I've owned just about every major phone the past few years.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I have no clue how these things work so I am curious. If Google were to say, ok we get it, people want a saturated screen... How quickly can they just go in there and add a profile for a ultra vivid option or something? How complex is this to rollout as a mass update? Seems they can fix certain things in extremely fast order and if I was them I'd be doing it asap just to shut people up.

If you watch the MKBHD review, he states the option to "unlock" the full color gamut is already available within the phone. In fact app developers have the option to produce their apps with more saturation. So evidently that would be a pretty quick software fix.
[doublepost=1508859418][/doublepost]
The only people who use magical and revolutionary these days are people mocking Apple and Apple customers.

Yes. It's a cliched strawman. Understood. However my post was in response to the notion that critics would give Apple a pass because they're apparently in love with everything Apple.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Does it matter if it takes 6gb ram or 3gb ram to run smoothly? I surely don't care. It's not like Samsung is charging more for 6gb than Apple is charging for 3gb. The fact is, the S8/S8+/Note 8 work wonderfully. I'm not the "Samsung Crowd" as I've ripped on them in prior years. I have no brand loyalty as I've owned just about every major phone the past few years.
You have to understand, 6GB RAM will only be okay when Apple tells him it will be okay.

Same sort of guy who would have told you GPS on a phone is not needed, Camera on a phone is not needed, video recording on a phone is not needed etc etc... Until Apple puts it in.

Remember when we apparently did not need more than 1GB RAM?
Then Apple put in 2GB and suddenly things changed
iFans man.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

rofl what are you even talking about? i purchased the pixel 2 xl and this is in fact the pixel thread. you dont have to get this mad every time i say something negative about your beloved samsung products. i've owned more android phones than iphones - calling me a troll at this point is just ridiculous (and against forum rules btw). i just dont like samsung's latest offerings - overkill hardware to get over terrible software instead of just optimizing their phones like google seems to be doing.
Not exactly....you are not here to discuss phones....you are just here to stir up others in a very antagonistic fashion. That is against the forums rules. You do this in every thread you are a part of....

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So.... My pixel 2 XL was due to ship yesterday for delivery tomorrow or Wednesday. It hasn't and still has not been charged. :(

Would be nice to hear if there has been a delay (sounds like it) or they had to push things back or what. Are they out of stock or holding for new screens or what?

It's not really the fact I have to wait perhaps a bit longer, I'd just like to know what's going on. I've put some stuff I've wanted on hold while I wait for this large purchase to clear my bank.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
OMG...really? That is your contribution to the thread? Are you just here to provoke others?
You could say or find this happening all manufactured goods. So what is the point? So what?
Sorry if it seemed like I was provoking others but that wasnt my intention at all. I am just posting the funny/interesting news on this. I will refrain posting the articles if its irritating people :)

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Great article. I agree with most of it.

The Pixel 2 XL drama is undermining Google’s entire Pixel project

This isn’t about just one phone, it’s about what the brand “Google” means on a piece of hardware

TBH I found that article to be a gigantic overreaction, but then again I haven't spent my money on a 2XL. Vlad is acting like this is the Note 7 all over again but this is probably more down to LG messing up a batch of panels.

I agree that Google need to fix it, but I'm sure they are working on it.

I thought this AP piece was a good balanced article and generally how I feel. I did get a good panel on my phone (so far) and definitely not defending Google for those who got bad panels. I just hope Google (and LG) can get this mess ironed out.

Also, the article allowed me to recall all the issues the original Pixel had and why I never pulled the trigger on it despite really wanting it at the time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...e-big-flaw-still-favorite-android-phone-ever/

Now maybe Google can make the Pixel 3 without any of the hardware compromises the first 2 suffer from (esp if the screen on the Pixel 2 doesn't get any better and ships with some bad units throughout its life time).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.