Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Not exactly....you are not here to discuss phones....you are just here to stir up others in a very antagonistic fashion. That is against the forums rules. You do this in every thread you are a part of....
no. sharing my opinion is not "against the forums rules." there's a certain group of samsung loyalists around here that pile into any phone thread at all and complain every time somebody says anything negative about the s8 or the note 8, and it's getting a little old. you guys need to face the facts that plenty of people out there (most people in fact) prefer something else.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Does it matter if it takes 6gb ram or 3gb ram to run smoothly? I surely don't care. It's not like Samsung is charging more for 6gb than Apple is charging for 3gb. The fact is, the S8/S8+/Note 8 work wonderfully. I'm not the "Samsung Crowd" as I've ripped on them in prior years. I have no brand loyalty as I've owned just about every major phone the past few years.

Yeah, never understood the idea of “but it takes X in that phone to run great”. Who cares? Either the phone runs well or it doesn’t.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM, btw.
[doublepost=1508860672][/doublepost]
no. sharing my opinion is not "against the forums rules." there's a certain group of samsung loyalists around here that pile into any phone thread at all and complain every time somebody says anything negative about the s8 or the note 8, and it's getting a little old. you guys need to face the facts that plenty of people out there (most people in fact) prefer something else.

You do know Samsung is the biggest Android manufacturer, right?

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You just don't get it do you? I mean we all want to discuss phones and pros and cons....but do so in a manner that is not antagonistic of others.....

The phone you hate is someone else's favorite phone...when discussing things try to keep that in mind......

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Yeah, never understood the idea of “but it takes X in that phone to run great”. Who cares? Either the phone runs well or it doesn’t.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM, btw.
[doublepost=1508860672][/doublepost]

You do know Samsung is the biggest Android manufacturer, right?
but not the only one. im very pleased with what google and lg are doing, to be honest. HTC isnt too far behind either
[doublepost=1508861733][/doublepost]
You just don't get it do you? I mean we all want to discuss phones and pros and cons....but do so in a manner that is not antagonistic of others.....

The phone you hate is someone else's favorite phone...when discussing things try to keep that in mind......
I don't think it's that easy to get what you're trying to say to be honest. I'm not "antagonizing" anyone for owning a Samsung product - I'm saying the phones are terrible. I've never had any issues with the samsung fanbase until you lot showed up frankly.
[doublepost=1508861777][/doublepost]
Well his name is SUCKFEST after all lol
that is extremely irrelevant to the conversation and very disrespectful. suckfest is a name dear to me.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
but not the only one. im very pleased with what google and lg are doing, to be honest. HTC isnt too far behind either
I don't think it's that easy to get what you're trying to say to be honest. I'm not "antagonizing" anyone for owning a Samsung product - I'm saying the phones are terrible. I've never had any issues with the samsung fanbase until you lot showed up frankly.

Mr. Suckfest, can you elaborate on what is terrible about the Note 8 and S8/S8+?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
not true if i remember right.....moderators have deleted and taken action on your posts in the past if memory serves me right for exactly what i have described.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Mr. Suckfest, can you elaborate on what is terrible about the Note 8 and S8/S8+?
As if that's worth talking with you guys about at this point

not true if i remember right.....moderators have deleted and taken action on your posts in the past if memory serves me right for exactly what i have described.
and yet that has nothing to do with the current discussion. everyone's got skeletons in their closets - trying to out others' is not a good look and i'd probably stop if i were you

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
But please do so in the S8/S8+ and Note 8 thread. I am sure there are enough people in those threads to answer and discuss all of your discussion points.

Please don't take this thread off topic....
[doublepost=1508862086][/doublepost]
As if that's worth talking with you guys about at this point

and yet that has nothing to do with the current discussion. everyone's got skeletons in their closets - trying to out others' is not a good look and i'd probably stop if i were you
Oh not trying to out you or anything like that....you brought up your problems with the rest of us....not me o_O

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Oh not trying to out you or anything like that....you brought up your problems with the rest of us....not me o_O
You didn't "out" me - you successfully ruined another thread by getting overly defensive every time somebody mentioned that they don't like Samsung. congratulations. can we all go back to talking about the pixel 2 xl please holy christ, leave it alone already

---

I just bought a Google Home last week. Honestly it's really good, and I have no interest at this point in trying out the HomePod. Anyone know if there are more features when you use it with an Android phone vs. the iOS app?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
[doublepost=1508861777][/doublepost]
that is extremely irrelevant to the conversation and very disrespectful. suckfest is a name dear to me.
[doublepost=1508861885][/doublepost]I guess that's where the discussion went - now we're name-calling each other. Whatever happened to the whole heroic "don't antagonize" battlecry of a speech you were giving a few minutes ago? Nah, it's easier to resort to childish tactics and namecall, right?

HTC makes great phones, but they sold off a lot of engineers. They also barely sell phones, so...

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh Lord help me, I think @ChrisPirillo is becoming my spirit animal. He’s summed up pretty well the dilemma faced by those of us who have decided there’s really nothing else out there, this is what we want, it’s flawed, so let’s see what happens:

He recorded this on the Pixel 2. Some people comment that the audio sounds a bit tinny and that he comes across looking yellow. Well it’s hard to say the color might not be accurate because I have that sort of skin coloring myself. I held my hand up to my iPad display and his complexion matched mine. My real name is Marge Simpson, by the way. ;) Maybe the other cameras were making him more pale than he actually is.

The audio is a bit...something. I’m not sure what the term is. It’s not muffled but there is an effect of some sort. It actually sounds more like the audio from an iPhone 7 Plus or IPhone 8 Plus on one of SuperSafs video showdowns.

I was impressed now the mic was able to pick up the sound of his kid yelling to him from the basement.

I can’t wait to test these babies for myself!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
which is a shame. back in the day, with the HTC One, they were honestly top of the pack. Hard to understand how they'd manage to just let that go.

HTC couldn’t compete with certain companies when it came to stuff like screens and marketing. They make good, but not exciting, phones.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Oh Lord help me, I think @ChrisPirillo is becoming my spirit animal. He’s summed up pretty well the dilemma faced by those of us who have decided there’s really nothing else out there, this is what we want, it’s flawed, so let’s see what happens:

He recorded this on the Pixel 2. Some people comment that the audio sounds a bit tinny and that he comes across looking yellow. Well it’s hard to say the color might not be accurate because I have that sort of skin coloring myself. I held my hand up to my iPad display and his complexion matched mine. My real name is Marge Simpson, by the way. ;) Maybe the other cameras were making him more pale than he actually is.

The audio is a bit...something. I’m not sure what the term is. It’s not muffled but there is an effect of some sort. It actually sounds more like the audio from an iPhone 7 Plus or IPhone 8 Plus on one of SuperSafs video showdowns.

I was impressed now the mic was able to pick up the sound of his kid yelling to him from the basement.

I can’t wait to test these babies for myself!
I was gonna suggest one of those 3.5mm external microphone things. I've used them before to enhance audio capturing on prior phones.

I wonder if they make any for USB-C, and whether the phones would support them? I would think for everyday recording, the built-in mic is sufficient for most people. I'd hope anyway.
[doublepost=1508863312][/doublepost]
HTC couldn’t compete with certain companies when it came to stuff like screens and marketing. They make good, but not exciting, phones.
They used to :/ The Evo 4G was a massive ripple when it first came out

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I think that’s why the Pixel 2 appeals so much to me. Because it’s made by HTC, uses a Samsung screen and has software support directly from Google for 3 years. For me that’s near close to perfect, at least on paper.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So all you forum members that have the 2 XL, what kind of battery life are you seeing so far is it pretty good or really really good like that S8 Plus?

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
So after a good 5 days of use on the Pixel 2 (non-XL) I’ve got a few thoughts:
  • I don’t notice the bezels unless I’m in the mood to complain about something.
  • The camera continues to be utterly amazing in every lighting condition.
  • Battery life is probably great, but I’m used to phones with larger batteries, so relativity comes into play.
  • On the battery front, I’m averaging around 4.5 hrs of SOT, so I’m pleased
  • LOVE the lightweight and overall size of the phone. Again, coming from bigger phones previously
  • The UI is just as smooth as I’d hope and so far I have no interest in putting a custom launcher on.
  • Speakers are perfect for a phone. I’m not hosting a party with a phone as my music player.
  • While the display is terrific, I wouldn’t mind Google adding a more contrast-y setting.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
So after a good 5 days of use on the Pixel 2 (non-XL) I’ve got a few thoughts:
  • I don’t notice the bezels unless I’m in the mood to complain about something.
  • The camera continues to be utterly amazing in every lighting condition.
  • Battery life is probably great, but I’m used to phones with larger batteries, so relativity comes into play.
  • On the battery front, I’m averaging around 4.5 hrs of SOT, so I’m pleased
  • LOVE the lightweight and overall size of the phone. Again, coming from bigger phones previously
  • The UI is just as smooth as I’d hope and so far I have no interest in putting a custom launcher on.
  • Speakers are perfect for a phone. I’m not hosting a party with a phone as my music player.
  • While the display is terrific, I wouldn’t mind Google adding a more contrast-y setting.

Hi
Thanks for the review. Is the speaker phone good? for both sides, and how do you unlock if on a desk/table, thanks

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I was gonna suggest one of those 3.5mm external microphone things. I've used them before to enhance audio capturing on prior phones.

I wonder if they make any for USB-C, and whether the phones would support them? I would think for everyday recording, the built-in mic is sufficient for most people. I'd hope anyway.
[doublepost=1508863312][/doublepost]
They used to :/ The Evo 4G was a massive ripple when it first came out
Yeah I have a fantastic lightning connected one for my iPhone 7 Plus. I did look for one for an Android phone and they all need the 3.5 mm port, doh!

I wonder if we can campaign Google to get the 3.5 mm back like Samsung users successfully persuaded Samsung to put the SD card slot back in.

Android should not be following Apple on every damned lark. They should be differentiating themselves. It’s stupid to declare 3.5 mm dead until they get the USB-C standards sorted, for dongles, chargers, headphones, all accessories. It’s a mess right now. I don’t blame Apple for sticking with lightning on the iPhone a little while longer after all.

Most of the video audio samples I’ve heard sounded really good. Somebody got upset about wind noise on one sample but the overall sound to me was reasonable.

Right now it’s hard to beat the phones that offer stereo audio recording. Both HTC and LG excel at stereo audio recording on their own phones. Google really slacked off and went too far on the Apple side of things with this mediocre implementation of audio recording. They should have availed themselves of LG and HTC’s expertise.

I don’t for a minute think this particular phone is everything it should be hardware wise. I know what I’m getting and why. I abandoned any idea of holding onto this for two years. It gets traded in unless next year Google keeps copying everything that is mediocre and annoying about Apple instead of striving to set a new bar for excellence in the industry.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So all you forum members that have the 2 XL, what kind of battery life are you seeing so far is it pretty good or really really good like that S8 Plus?
Like every feature on this device, the battery life has been excellent for me. I have Android Auto so the battery numbers are super weird, but the battery is great for me.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Hi
Thanks for the review. Is the speaker phone good? for both sides, and how do you unlock if on a desk/table, thanks
Speaker phone has been good for me. I haven’t observed the weird clicking sounds some have reported. Speaker phone is good and clear. As for unlocking on desk/table, I tend to utilize “Hey Google” quite a bit for simple tasks rather than picking the phone up. Otherwise, I just pick it up and use the FPS. In looking at the smart unlock options, there is a Face Detection option, but I have no interest in face detection on the Pixel or the iPhone X. Not yet anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171024-131855.png
    Screenshot_20171024-131855.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 5105973 and Tsepz

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
ouch, struck a nerve with the samsung crowd. i suppose its completely normal for a phone to need 6gb of ram in order to not be a completely sloppy mess. good, thanks for letting me know

rofl what are you even talking about? i purchased the pixel 2 xl and this is in fact the pixel thread. you dont have to get this mad every time i say something negative about your beloved samsung products. i've owned more android phones than iphones - calling me a troll at this point is just ridiculous (and against forum rules btw). i just dont like samsung's latest offerings - overkill hardware to get over terrible software instead of just optimizing their phones like google seems to be doing.

I'm absolutely no samsung loyalist. I've used all the iPhones till the 6s. I love how Apple works and how premium the iPhone feels.

I've owned the galaxy s2, s3 and s4 and hated it with passion. Lagging like crazy, oversatured and dim displays and plastic all over the place. As a apple fan, I loved the HTC m7 and m8. Went back to Apple with the iPhone 6. Android was just not for me.

Till the Samsung s6 came around and I Had to use it, had to sell my beautifull 6s 64gb space Grey, and I actually enjoyed the s6. The camera, speed and feel in the hand. The only big downside was the terrible battery life.

After using the s6 a few months without the annoying things I've mentioned about the s2 s3 and s4, I was looking forward to the S7.

I bought that phone and loved everything about it. The basic screen mode was a huge plus point, I don't like oversaturated colors on my screen.

I waited for the iPhone 7 to "maybe" jump back but it was a huge disappointment.

The iPhone 6ss,ermm 7, was inferior to the S7 in all aspects. So when the s8 came out is was a no brainer.

And I wouldn't trade in my s8 for the 8 or 8 plus. For the X? Probably.. So don't you dare to call me a samsung loyalist, coz I'm far from it.

Reactions: Suckfest 9001

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Speaker phone has been good for me. I haven’t observed the weird clicking sounds some have reported. Speaker phone is good and clear. As for unlocking on desk/table, I tend to utilize “Hey Google” quite a bit for simple tasks rather than picking the phone up. Otherwise, I just pick it up and use the FPS. In looking at the smart unlock options, there is a Face Detection option, but I have no interest in face detection on the Pixel or the iPhone X. Not yet anyway.

Ok thanks!
pleased you're happy with your Pixel 2.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I'm absolutely no samsung loyalist.

So don't you dare to call me a samsung loyalist, coz I'm far from it.

Serious question, and I’m not trying to flame you; but why do you care about this so much. Who cares if you are or aren’t a loyalist to a particular brand. Your opinion on a device is no more valid or invalid than anyone else’s.

Seems like a lot of fanboy stuff on these pages lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.