Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I’m going to quietly sit this here:

The XL would have been better with an LCD screen.
No. absolutely not. Thats shooting the dog for the cat ******** on the carpet.

My AMOLED screen on my S6 is a glorious, fantastic display. Its incredible and after 2 years, it is still as good as the day i got it.

(AM)OLED screens are definitly the way to go. The problem is you have a poor panel (LG) implemented by a poor tech company (google).

Read SC's blog. This issue is somewhat caused by Google's constant amateurism in its OS. Had google implemented a proper colour management in Android, they would have known about screen calibration and the LG panel would have been better spec'd and implemented.

Instead you have this half ar$ed approach which has caused all manner of knock ons.

This is firmly at Google's door.

Google, its apps and its devices are Beta. Always have been, always will be. They get away with Android because the public (Open source) do the heavy lifting and QC for them.

its a sham.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Oh no, so sorry to hear that. I’ve never heard of On Trac. The really horrible one I get stuck with sometimes is Lazer or Laser. We always groan when we find out something was shipped via them.

Well sucks to be Google but what were they thinking sending out these phones without requiring a signature? I live in a place where it would be okay to leave stuff on my front porch because it can’t easily be seen unless you mean to trespass. But the delivery people often drop stuff outside my garage door for everyone to see. It’s worse if the item is food because then it’s under direct hot sunlight.:rolleyes: Sometimes they leave things on a bench in my yard or shove it in the bushes. It’s like treasure hunting sometimes. So I usually insist on a signature required option when there is the opportunity to do so.
Thanks! I work from home and my desk faces my front window of my house. I would have seen him pull up in front of my house and walk up to my door. I checked my neighbors houses after i got the delivery email and it wasn't left with them by mistake. I think the driver either stole it or just marked it as delivered because he was running behind for the day.......and it will be delivered tomorrow.
Google customer service said they were sending a replacement but I haven't received and order info or tracking.

Reactions: v0lume4 and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

My AMOLED screen on my S6 is a glorious, fantastic display. Its incredible and after 2 years, it is still as good as the day i got it.

(AM)OLED screens are definitly the way to go. The problem is you have a poor panel (LG) implemented by a poor tech company (google).

Read SC's blog. This issue is somewhat caused by Google's constant amateurism in its OS. Had google implemented a proper colour management in Android, they would have known about screen calibration and the LG panel would have been better spec'd and implemented.

Instead you have this half ar$ed approach which has caused all manner of knock ons.

Google, its apps and its devices are Beta. Always have been, always will be. They get away with Android because the public (Open source) do the heavy lifting and QC for them.

its a sham.
Sounds like the way things are these days with Apple. I’ve not seen a polished release of hardware or software from them in some time now. I first noticed it with my Iphone 6 Plus.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks! I work from home and my desk faces my front window of my house. I would have seen him pull up in front of my house and walk up to my door. I checked my neighbors houses after i got the delivery email and it wasn't left with them by mistake. I think the driver either stole it or just marked it as delivered because he was running behind for the day.......and it will be delivered tomorrow.
Google customer service said they were sending a replacement but I haven't received and order info or tracking.

I can almost guarantee it will be delivered today if it wasn't delivered last night. I get shipments from Ontrac all the time and I never receive it when the tracking shows it was delivered. It's always the next day but rarely they'll drop it off at like 9 or 10 pm when they marked it delivered at like 3pm. They are notorious for this. I'd have waited a day before getting a new one shipped out. I bet Ontrac will be assigned to deliver your replacement as well. There's a reason this company gets 1* on Yelp.

Reactions: jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

its a sham.

Android on the Pixel XL 2 is the most polished and stable OS experience in the industry right now.

Reactions: jamezr

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Android on the Pixel XL 2 is the most polished and stable OS experience in the industry right now.

Go and have a look at the play store and the latest reviews for the google apps loaded on the Pixel.

Also i would argue your comment is only really relevant for US Centric. devices. Google is awful at providing x-country support for its apps and services

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Go and have a look at the play store and the latest reviews for the google apps loaded on the Pixel.

Also i would argue your comment is only really relevant for US Centric. devices. Google is awful at providing x-country support for its apps and services

The only other OS in the game is iOS. You can't really be serious if you're arguing that iOS 11 is a finished product.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

its a sham.

Bad software isn’t the cause of color shifting, of the grain when the brightness is low, of the burn in within a week. And a good LCD is better than a bad OLED 10/10 times.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Order still has not shipped nor charged. I have not heard any word about what's going on.

Was supposed to ship 2 days ago.

The idea to just cancel has been floating in the back of my mind the last couple weeks...

This delay is not helping. Still I'm trying to hang in there...

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Order still has not shipped nor charged. I have not heard any word about what's going on.

Was supposed to ship 2 days ago.

The idea to just cancel has been floating in the back of my mind the last couple weeks...

This delay is not helping. Still I'm trying to hang in there...

I hear you. I ordered Pixel XL 2 128 black to replace the one I received with burn in. It was ordered on the 23rd, supposed to ship on the 24th. So far status hasn't changed.

I'm hoping this is related to panel issues and not crappy CS. The former means they're fixing it. The latter means their insurance program might be worthless.
[doublepost=1508945415][/doublepost]
Bad software isn’t the cause of color shifting, of the grain when the brightness is low, of the burn in within a week. And a good LCD is better than a bad OLED 10/10 times.

Agree with the last sentence. In general I don't have an issue with LCD. Apple's screens have been pretty fantastic. The 8 Plus is excellent.
[doublepost=1508945834][/doublepost]
I don't think any OS' has a fully polished performance.

Obviously I don't agree. The experience on the new pixels is pretty great. It's cohesive, intuitive, and WORKS. I can't get into "I had this app freeze up on me" arguments because YMMV regardless of device. Even their messaging app is fantastic now. Shame they can't make it into an iMessage-esque offering.

Reactions: slitherjef

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Mine is coming via Fed-Ex. On Trac must not exist where I am. Thank goodness if that’s the case.
Same! I had never even heard of OnTrac until the Pixel 2 release this year. Wow, people seem to REALLY dislike that company. Just based on the responses on here as well as Reddit, I don't think anyone likes the company! How do they manage to get by? You'd think the free market would push them to either step up their game or else be put out of business by FedEx and UPS.

Reactions: 5105973

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I hear you. I ordered Pixel XL 2 128 black to replace the one I received with burn in. It was ordered on the 23rd, supposed to ship on the 24th. So far status hasn't changed.

I'm hoping this is related to panel issues and not crappy CS. The former means they're fixing it. The latter means their insurance program might be worthless.
[doublepost=1508945415][/doublepost]

Agree with the last sentence. In general I don't have an issue with LCD. Apple's screens have been pretty fantastic. The 8 Plus is excellent.
[doublepost=1508945834][/doublepost]

Obviously I don't agree. The experience on the new pixels is pretty great. It's cohesive, intuitive, and WORKS. I can't get into "I had this app freeze up on me" arguments because YMMV regardless of device. Even their messaging app is fantastic now. Shame they can't make it into an iMessage-esque offering.

They just use a crappy shipping company, Digital River. They sent mine ground so its taking four days to be delivered.

Reactions: 5105973

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
widgeteer said:

Which messaging app of the 4(?) they have, is that?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sounds like the way things are these days with Apple. I’ve not seen a polished release of hardware or software from them in some time now. I first noticed it with my Iphone 6 Plus.
When have they ever had a fully polished release?

They are no worse than they have been. In some ways, they are actually doing better than they have. The minor issues they are having in iOS11 and even Watch OS are so minor compared to serious hardware / software failures that crippled devices in the past.

A quick trip in the MacRumors Archive will show many of the past failings at or near device launches. Only difference is, back then this site wasn’t filled with nearly a million users.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

They are no worse than they have been. In some ways, they are actually doing better than they have. The minor issues they are having in iOS11 and even Watch OS are so minor compared to serious hardware / software failures that crippled devices in the past.

A quick trip in the MacRumors Archive will show many of the past failings at or near device launches. Only difference is, back then this site wasn’t filled with nearly a million users.
Not iOS 8.0.1 ;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I first saw and joined this forum when I preordered my iPhone 6 Plus. I don’t remember personally too many bad experiences except for a couple of updates when I was on my 5s that made things wonky for a little while.

Reactions: 840quadra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.