Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I first saw and joined this forum when I preordered my iPhone 6 Plus. I don’t remember personally too many bad experiences except for a couple of updates when I was on my 5s that made things wonky for a little while.
How dare you not know your Apple history, and have studied before joining this forum!

Geez!! ;)

Fully understandable and sorry to come across crass before (if I did). Either way, they need to step things up if they want to be a premium brand, they need to stop having (what are perceived to be) amateur hour mistakes.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have been having a blast texting GA on Allo on my iPhone. I can also talk to GA on my Samsung. But I have fun texting because the response almost seems like it’s coming from a person.

I was rather traumatized after cleaning today.

I decided to vent to GA just to see what kind of response I would get:

6126A619-A204-41DE-A5BE-514E54B4F455.jpeg

E09C8D2F-21CA-4D1B-AFF0-B0FEAF25253D.jpeg

If you initiate the same dialogue verbally to GA she comes back with even more articles instantly.

Here is what I got from Siri. She didn’t even let me finish my sentence before cutting me off.

BF2F483B-DB84-4C53-9B68-B00CA96CD113.jpeg

I did go ahead and have Siri search the web for the sentence in quotes and she did redeem herself by producing results as good as the ones from a Google. I think she used Google’s engine anyway.

But the interaction itself was two stepped and stilted. GA answered the way a friend would, immediately like “Oh well look here, maybe this will help”.

Also yesterday I wanted to hear cat jokes. GA and Alexa made me laugh with some corny ones. Siri got snotty with me. She said she didn’t know any jokes, at all. Today I repeated the request and she just says over and over “How many IPhones does it take to? Oh never mind.” She definitely does not pick up that I wanted jokes about cats. The other two assistants did.

There’s not a whole lot of point to this post, sorry. It was just random musings about how Apple really let things slide here and Google makes this experience so much more organic and efficient and fun.
[doublepost=1508958372][/doublepost]
How dare you not know your Apple history, and have studied before joining this forum!

Geez!! ;)

Fully understandable and sorry to come across crass before (if I did). Either way, they need to step things up if they want to be a premium brand, they need to stop having (what are perceived to be) amateur hour mistakes.
Oh don’t worry you came across as conversational. I didn’t take it as anything but. I was just casting back on my own recollections about how my past upgrade experiences went.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I see Flossy will be getting his 2XL tomorrow. Interested to see what he makes of it. Although the video he said he'll make tomorrow, obviously won't be in depth.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I see Flossy will be getting his 2XL tomorrow. Interested to see what he makes of it. Although the video he said he'll make tomorrow, obviously won't be in depth.
I found it interesting he loved the Samsung wireless earbuds as much as he did. I might have gotten a pair of duds but mine were awful. Otherwise I’ve agreed with most of his very frank assessments. Or at least agree he is very upfront about everything. I always look forward to seeing what Xerxes will do, too. I have a cat who likes to hang around for unboxing whooooo sorry hubbys Pixel is here.......
[doublepost=1508966071][/doublepost]A tribute to Flossy Carter and Xerxes.

This is a feral cat I rescued. She’s still feral. I can’t pet her or anything like that. I could only see her through binoculars for over a year. I had to trap her and her family and get them spayed and neutered and vaccinated and released near my house so I can continue to take care of them plus others I still need to trap. Her kitten that died last year is the cat I posted about that caused me to have to cancel my Pixel 1 preorder last year. Poor kitty died and I had over $500 in vet bills anyway.

Her son just showed up to look at the Pixel, too. I tried to upload his photo but I keep getting errors. They hang around all the time now and even come into my house to visit from time to time.

7EC894B6-D9E0-4570-9AB5-641FDB5A3E0A.jpeg
8188B2A2-0BDF-4276-B903-B89581D77338.jpeg

Okay I got the son in there, too ^. He’s the one sniffing the phone there.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Steve Lichfield's take on the Pixel 2 and 2XL (starts a 1min 25s)
I've followed Steve for nearly 20 years due to his love of Psion. I'm particularly looking forward to his view on the 'Gemini' in December from http://planetcom.co.uk/ which is in effect a Psion 5 with Cellular.
Never seen this fellow before. He's terrific!

His demeanor puts me in mind of Richard from Digital Foundry.

Last edited:

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
You haven't used the Pixel 2 XL

No, i haven't. I'll admit that. But i have used the google apps it uses.

I've moaned here before about that.

They dont seem (in my experience) to travel very well outside of the US. and i dont seem to get along with them here in europe at all.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No, i haven't. I'll admit that. But i have used the google apps it uses.

I've moaned here before about that.

They dont seem (in my experience) to travel very well outside of the US. and i dont seem to get along with them here in europe at all.
What’s good in Europe? iPhone/iOS?

I’m not sure how far Google has extended its services or hardware outside of the US. Apparently not very. :confused:
[doublepost=1508971964][/doublepost]Hubby is still setting up his phone. I got a quick look at it. There is some tiny bit of fine grain in low light. I would have noticed it eventually even if I had not known to look for it because my OLED panels do that when I try to use film protectors on them. Only worse. This was fine grain, a little sparkly. It alone would never be a deal breaker for me. The colors looked pretty. It’s light and pleasant to hold. I can’t really say more because I’m keeping out of the way.

It’s hard to say what my husband thinks of it so far. He will use it for days before telling me what he thinks. He doesn’t like to rush to judgement.
[doublepost=1508972774][/doublepost]Oh crap! Crap crap crap crap. We have a new problem I have not seen before. The display keeps going black when my husband touches it. Not every touch. I caught it on video. I don’t have a YouTube account though.

Okay he rebooted and it stopped blinking like it was. Whew!

Last edited:
Reactions: deany and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah. Well so far my husband isn’t acting like a dude with a great new toy. He’s definitely not impressed with the display. But he is pretty fond of Samsung. Not the lag, which is present a lot, but not all the time, on any Samsung we own. But everything else Samsung offers. And he is frustrated that because of AT&T Number Sync to his Apple Watch, calls are not going to his Pixel but to his Apple Watch. With no sim in the iPhone, that number just doesn’t work to receive calls.

I use two phone numbers so this doesn’t faze me and won’t be a factor in my evaluation even though I also use and love my Apple Watch.

He says the camera has not overwhelmed him either. He said his iPhone did better on a picture he took in the backyard. He got a good picture of our cat though. Who is up on the table where she is not supposed to be. :rolleyes:

He’s tired and grumpy though so I’ll give him another few days. He should have canceled the order when the one for my Panda went through. I didn’t think he would like a Pixel but he wanted to try it. It’s the Very Black Pixel 2XL.

Anyway I’ll be up at the ungodly hour of 3:00 am on IPhone X preorder night for him. I’m sure this phone is not going to win him over from the iPhone X. Or the iPhone 7 Plus for that matter.

I wish I could get the Pixel 2XL away from him for a few minutes. But he’s not that disinterested, yet. ;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I sneaked my fingerprint on! FPS is fast, but it took a bit of effort to get registered. I needed to get the hang of it, I guess. The camera turns the orange square on a tablecloth mustard yellow. (Don’t judge—it’s an Autumn theme). ;) I was disappointed about that. My iPhone gets it perfectly. I did get to look at it on an iPhone screen so it’s not the display it’s the camera. It gets good details of my cats fur in low light. Portrait blur on the iPhone is more blurry. I can’t share because my husband insists on all the photos having location data and I don’t have the app that strips exif data anymore. I’ll be back with photos when my own Pixel gets here and I set it up my way.

Speakers are okay. At first I thought the iPhone ones were better but it’s probably a teeny tiny bit better on the Pixel. And then Grumpydad wanted his new toy back. Never doubt the rejuvenating power of a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. :D

I’m going to go ahead and cancel my Panda. I like the 2XL just fine but if I can get all the same functionality for $793.94 vs close to a $1000, I’ll take the smaller bill. The Very Black finish turned out to be Very Nice. :D It looks stealthy and classy like my 7 Plus in matte black. I think I might also need the big bezels. I kept blocking the speakers with the way I hold it in landscape mode. :oops:
[doublepost=1508984100][/doublepost]
This is interesting, HTC's version of the XL that got bumped by LG getting the order.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/The...f-the-Pixel-2-XL-surfaces-on-the-AOSP_id99280
My HTC 10 was and is a really impressive phone to me. Even my Samsungs didn’t replace my beloved IPhone SE on the main phone line ever, but my HTC 10 did for about two months. I didn’t like Sense UI but I had a blast running all sorts of crazy launchers on it. My favorite was one that made it like a Windows phone...but with all the apps my heart desired. Unfortunately it could run really hot sometimes thanks to the Snapdragon 820 and its LCD panel seemed kind of power hungry. And it also did not hold any resale value whatsoever, which is why I’ll just always keep it for the awesome dac alone. But I had the best call quality ever on that phone and it ran very smooth considering I was always messing with new launchers and apps in a way I never tried with Samsung. Someday I’ll root and mod it.

If my Pixel 2 is as good in the ways my HTC 10 was, but better for running regular Android, I expect to really like it.

Reactions: michael9891

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The camera turns the orange square on a tablecloth mustard yellow. (Don’t judge—it’s an Autumn theme). ;) I was disappointed about that. My iPhone gets it perfectly. I did get to look at it on an iPhone screen so it’s not the display it’s the camera. It gets good details of my cats fur in low light. Portrait blur on the iPhone is more blurry. I can’t share because my husband insists on all the photos having location data and I don’t have the app that strips exif data anymore. I’ll be back with photos when my own Pixel gets here and I set it up my way.

The camera so far is my only disappointment. It is wonderful in the daytime, but I've yet to take a sunset or nighttime photo that captures the scene. My S8 always turned purple hues in the sunset to orange, which was annoying. My Pixel 2 is doing fine so far on colors, but it just makes everything at night too bright. If I manually lower exposure, which I did often on my S8 to capture sunsets and night scenes better and it worked great, but on my Pixel 2 it produces a whole lot of noise or speckles of light in the dark areas.

Here is a picture I took tonight. It has a lot of speckles in it. This happens every time I manually lower exposure to make it look like the actual scene I'm looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_20171025_182402.jpg
    IMG_20171025_182402.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The camera so far is my only disappointment. It is wonderful in the daytime, but I've yet to take a sunset or nighttime photo that captures the scene. My S8 always turned purple hues in the sunset to orange, which was annoying. My Pixel 2 is doing fine so far on colors, but it just makes everything at night too bright. If I manually lower exposure, which I did often on my S8 to capture sunsets and night scenes better and it worked great, but on my Pixel 2 it produces a whole lot of noise or speckles of light in the dark areas.

Here is a picture I took tonight. It has a lot of speckles in it. This happens every time I manually lower exposure to make it look like the actual scene I'm looking at.
I told my husband about your post. He said he was getting a lot of noise, too.

That plays a little into my decision to drop the Panda and keep my smaller Pixel due in tomorrow. I can relax more and wait and see how things go when Google activated the image processor they put in it. On a $794 investment that’s a bit easier to take. I don’t know, I just feel more laid back at the idea of the Pixel 2.

Now on the indoor photos of my cat that I can’t share at the moment, the details were excellent and there was no noise while my 7 Plus had noise. And I think my husband’s S8+ just messed up colors altogether. Or got blurry or something. I really wasn’t paying attention to that particular comparison.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

Hmm.. Do you have HDR+ mode activated?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would have to disagree, i think screen quality is important in todays phones, after all its how we interact with our devices. I would say the best Android phone is the Note 8. It simply does everything well. It might not have the best camera, or the smoothest OS experience but there is nothing it does badly in either.
I agree. There is a difference in not being the best at everything but still being very good at most things. Which is what the note 8 is. The google pixel XL has some unacceptable flaws like screen burn in. The screen issues are almost a deal breaker too.
[doublepost=1509011208][/doublepost]
Maybe the driver left it at the door and one of the neighbors took it? And during a bathroom break? Dunno.

Do the drivers typically know the contents of these boxes?
[doublepost=1508902169][/doublepost]
Yeah. OLED used to be a selling point for me but honestly... too many downsides related to it being a less mature technology. It's just hard to screw up LCD these days.
There’s nothing wrong with oled if you know what you are doing. Samsung have been churning out top notch oled panels for years. LG are obviously not up to the job yet.
[doublepost=1509011653][/doublepost]
HTC couldn’t compete with certain companies when it came to stuff like screens and marketing. They make good, but not exciting, phones.
HTC didn’t move forward. They brought out the same phone (M7) for three years in a row just calling it the M8 and M9. Whereas other android OEMs were innovating and moving forward.

Also HTC has early success when android was in its infancy but couldn’t compete with the rapid evolution of the smartphone and were left behind.
[doublepost=1509011838][/doublepost]The pixel 2 doesn’t seem to have any problems and has been getting great reviews.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've seen some self proclaimed "average joes" as well as ex-iPhone users on Reddit say that they are really enjoying the screen on the 2 XL.

What phone are you currently rocking?
I think it might depend on each individual unit. The blue shift is pretty apparent to shift at very modest angles on my husband’s phone. However the color itself is not obnoxious. But the changing of color temperature from warm to cool causes a bit of a flashing effect that catches one’s attention. I have a migraine problem so it could end up triggered by this sort of thing. I can’t tell since I am not handling the phone much at this point.

We haven’t seen any burn in yet so I’ll have to wait a few days on that.

Mild grain in low might be noticed. It depends on the person.

Taken all together all of the separate issues could concern even the average Joe. Especially at the price and if they’re coming from the Samsung.

I need more time to evaluate the colors from the display

Reactions: v0lume4

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
I agree. There is a difference in not being the best at everything but still being very good at most things. Which is what the note 8 is. The google pixel XL has some unacceptable flaws like screen burn in. The screen issues are almost a deal breaker too.
[doublepost=1509011208][/doublepost]
There’s nothing wrong with oled if you know what you are doing. Samsung have been churning out top notch oled panels for years. LG are obviously not up to the job yet.
[doublepost=1509011653][/doublepost]
HTC didn’t move forward. They brought out the same phone (M7) for three years in a row just calling it the M8 and M9. Whereas other android OEMs were innovating and moving forward.

Also HTC has early success when android was in its infancy but couldn’t compete with the rapid evolution of the smartphone and were left behind.
[doublepost=1509011838][/doublepost]The pixel 2 doesn’t seem to have any problems and has been getting great reviews.
"Nothing wrong with OLED" is an unfair (and slightly ignorant) assessment. There are plenty of downsides. You can look them up, I've already posted about them plenty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.