Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I might try that today! Thanks!

I'll second the Twitter route. I've had very quick responses and resolutions from Adobe & Delta to name just 2 via Twitter.

Sorry you've had so much hassle but I'm sure you know you'll always be wondering how good (or not so good) the Pixel is if you don't try one out!

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well Fed Ex isn’t immune to causing some disappointment or perhaps it’s Google but my Pixel isn’t arriving today after all. I had seen yesterday that it was supposed to be delivered today but according to today’s tracking info, it’s due in tomorrow. Bummer. My teen wanted to see it before she leaves for a trip with her best friend’s family.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

SHOTS FIRED

Samsung's like: "you should have used our screens on both models lel"

LG will catch up. In due time. Besides -- we need more than one quality OLED supplier. That's why Apple and Google both invested in LG's display business. Samsung can charge whatever the heck they want (and rightly so!) currently. There's no comparable competition.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

SHOTS FIRED

LG will catch up. In due time. Besides -- we need more than one quality OLED supplier. That's why Apple and Google both invested in LG's display business. Samsung can charge whatever the heck they want (and rightly so!) currently. There's no comparable competition.

Wow, interesting ad. The way the intro is, that's a direct response to Google's Pixel 2 search bar campaign.

And the ad ain't wrong. Samsung, at this point in time, is the industry leader in displays.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
To provide an update: I placed an order for two Pixel 2's on 10/22 from bestbuy.com. I received one of those on Wednesday 10/25 and the other should be arriving on Friday 10/27.

First impressions:
  • The Pixel 2 is about the same size as my iPhone 7 just slightly longer. It feels like maybe the weight distribution is better on the Pixel 2 as it feels lighter than my iPhone 7.
  • The screen on the iPhone 7 I've always felt was good, but I'd say the Pixel 2 is better. The double tap to show notifications is extremely convenient for me.
  • The Pixel 2 seems to charge much faster than my iPhone 7, this is something that is extremely convenient for me because I usually find myself with less than ideal battery life but can charge for 20-30 minutes before I need to leave to go somewhere. The Pixel 2 gives me confidence that I'll have enough battery to last until I get home.
  • Build quality of the device seems to be good to me and out of the box I didn't notice any QC issues. I didn't put the device under a magnifying glass or anything though.
  • Speakers don't seem to be as loud as my iPhone 7, but the speaker quality seems to be better.
  • The front of the Pixel 2 reminds me of the Nexus 6P just in a smaller form factor. I was disappointed at the time when Google had lesser specs in the Nexus 5x vs the Nexus 6P. I know that people are interested in smaller bezels but the Pixel 2 design (at least on the front) reminds me of a throwback to the Nexus 6P so it's classic to me.
  • Android notifications, so much better than iOS in my opinion!
  • Have not had a chance to use the camera other than to snap a few test photos to make sure it works. I will be able to test more this weekend, but I'm not much of a photographer unfortunately so I won't likely be able to use it as well as somebody who knows what they are doing.
Side note: I was able to look at those fabric cases in a Verizon store today, they are really nice! I will probably pick up one of those in a couple of weeks if I decide that this device will be replacing my iPhone 7. So far, I'm leaning towards it replacing my iPhone 7, but it's easy to do so on Day 1 of using a new device.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
@timeconsumer

Nice post.

How are you finding the google software and os (not camera or playstore apps)
Thanks. I used a Pixel last year and the software experience is very similar. The Pixel 2 on the software side is really fast/smooth. In Android Oreo they added notifications on the app icon itself. If you long press that app it will show you the notification and you can swipe to get rid of it or you can save it for later. It seems like they are adding a lot of polish to the OS. It's a very good experience currently.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

SHOTS FIRED

That commercial bothers me for a couple of reasons. One—Samsung already has so much of its capacity spoken for and was used to provide for the Pixel 2 already so need to throw shade. Second and more importantly, I would assume some of our favorite YouTube reviewers got paid for the use of their comments in that commercial. How am I to trust the objectivity of their reviews going forward if they KNOW some of their favorable comments can be used in commercials like that. Hmm. Not thrilled.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
They can disable the device so it can never be used or activated. They should have the GPS data from OnTrac too....so they can see it was never delivered. Google is really dropping the ball here on a customer service level

GPS would have only shown the ontrac vehicle at your house. That does not mean it has or has not been delivered. Now, if GPS was activated on the phone while being delivered....

Either way none of this is Googles fault. Also the timelines for resolution are within acceptable standards.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
I got my replacement phone yesterday and I'm very disappointed to see screen burn in after only a day of use. I put a grey background through Google photos and looked at the software nav buttons in fullscreen. Here it is.. I don't know what to do, I love the phone but the screen already shows wear after a day of use. Should I get it replaced or send it back for a refund?
a76fda089c8a57d5d7ecb3a1dd7fdd33.jpg

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I got my replacement phone yesterday and I'm very disappointed to see screen burn in after only a day of use. I put a grey background through Google photos and looked at the software nav buttons in fullscreen. Here it is.. I don't know what to do, I love the phone but the screen already shows wear after a day of use. Should I get it replaced or send it back for a refund?
a76fda089c8a57d5d7ecb3a1dd7fdd33.jpg
You have been very patient so far...do you have it in you to get another one? Might not do any good though.

What does your Google freind say about the displays?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
YES!! Thank you so much for linking this.

Per the article -- Saturated color mode confirmed!

It's great to see that Google has been keeping an eye on what the community has been saying as well as responding to customer feedback. There have absolutely been issues with the Pixel 2 XL. But it's terrific to see Google owning up to it and addressing it fairly quickly. The question remains what will Quality Control look like from here on out?

ALSO: Two year warranty on ALL Pixel 2's confirmed.

Here's the full statement from Google:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/FRyoLZZjXvo

tl;dr: We’re very confident that the Pixel 2 delivers an exceptional smartphone experience, and to give users peace of mind, every Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will now come with a 2-year warranty worldwide.

On October 4, we announced Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, our new 5” and 6” smartphones with beautiful, high-resolution OLED displays; all-day battery that charges super fast; easy access to an even more capable Google Assistant; and, the world’s highest rated smartphone camera, along with free, unlimited storage for all of your photos and videos. We’ve been excited by the positive response from many of you and reviewers who have praised the new Pixel 2 phones.

Since launch, we’ve also received reports of suspected issues related to the Pixel 2 XL display. We take these reports very seriously and wanted to provide an update. First, there’s been some feedback about the Pixel 2 XL displays not appearing as vibrant as other phones, and in the past few days, there have been a small number of reports of differential aging (also referred to as “burn-in”) on the Pixel 2 XL’s pOLED screen.

On the topic of color saturation, we designed the Pixel 2 XL to take advantage of multiple facets of the innovative new pOLED technology, including QHD+ resolution with 538 pixels per inch and a wide color gamut. One of our design intents was to achieve a more natural and accurate rendition of colors. We know that some people prefer more saturated colors, so both Pixel 2 phones already include an option to boost colors by 10% for a more vivid look. And based on the recent feedback, we’re adding a new mode for more saturated colors, which will be made available via a software update to both Pixel 2 phones in the next few weeks.

Regarding differential aging, we put all of our products through extensive quality assurance before launch and in the manufacturing of every unit. Thorough testing of the Pixel 2 XL display shows that its decay characteristics are similar to OLED panels used in comparable products. Our current investigation of burn-in, which started as soon as we received the first user report on October 22, confirms that the differential aging is in line with that of other premium smartphones and should not affect the normal, day-to-day user experience of the Pixel 2 XL. Regardless, we use software to safeguard the user experience and maximize the life of the OLED display, and we’ll make ongoing software updates to optimize further.

We’re very confident that the Pixel 2 delivers an exceptional smartphone experience, and to give users peace of mind, every Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will now come with a 2-year warranty worldwide.

If you’re interested in digging into more of the technology, more details are available here. We provide detail about the engineering of the Pixel 2 XL’s pOLED display, in tight coupling with Android 8.0 Oreo, for natural and accurate colors; we describe differential aging artifacts in OLED technology; and, we share our UI design efforts for optimizing user experience and performance of the display.

Posted by Mario Queiroz, VP, Product Management, Google Hardware
[doublepost=1509060685][/doublepost]
You have been very patient so far...do you have it in you to get another one? Might not do any good though.

@dch_neo17, is that permanent burn-in or image retention?

Way to test:

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017

I want to keep the phone and try it for a few more days, but burn-in is only going to settle in as time goes by. I'm thinking may be RMA the device a couple of months later so they would have fixed manufacturing issues by then?

I spoke to them a couple of times and they are unfortunately not in Pixel hardware. They said the software update should fix it. The test versions they used prior to the finalized hardware had completely different displays with no blue tint and burn-in issues. They were equally surprised to see the blue tint on the screen.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
YES!! Thank you so much for linking this.

Per the article -- Saturated color mode confirmed!

It's great to see that Google has been keeping an eye on what the community has been saying as well as responding to customer feedback. There have absolutely been issues with the Pixel 2 XL. But it's terrific to see Google owning up to it and addressing it fairly quickly. The question remains what will Quality Control look like from here on out?

ALSO: Two year warranty on ALL Pixel 2's confirmed.

Here's the full statement from Google:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/FRyoLZZjXvo

[doublepost=1509060685][/doublepost]
@dch_neo17, is that permanent burn-in or image retention?

Way to test:
How long does image retention stay? The Android Central video says it was visible even after 30 minutes of video playback. I'll do the same test but will run it for an hour and then check the grey background. I'll report back shortly.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
GPS would have only shown the ontrac vehicle at your house. That does not mean it has or has not been delivered. Now, if GPS was activated on the phone while being delivered....

Either way none of this is Googles fault. Also the timelines for resolution are within acceptable standards.
If I’m not mistaken the request to look at GPS information was to determine if the driver had even been by on that route. If the guy mistook a totally different street the GPS will reveal that mistake and show the driver ended up two blocks over on a similar sounding street or something. James never even saw any delivery vehicle pass by or stop by.

Most vendors of expensive smart phones like Samsung and Apple require a signature or offer the option of signing for the package to avoid just this kind of scenario. If the customer specifically signs off in advance of delivery then it is the customer’s fault for the outcome. Google just sends these out via the cheapest delivery option for them and doesn’t require any signature for devices that cost over $650. That’s really sloppy. It doesn’t speak well of their commitment to this venture.

On top of that, they totally screw up in their attempt to make it right for the customer. They should have followed up with the wronged customer. They gave every indication of promising to initiate a remedy and then totally failed to follow through. They’re going to toss the customer that they wronged back into the same ordering queue as someone else placing an order for the first time. This is not making them look good on top of everything else they’ve screwed up lately. Just my opinion. I respect if anyone sees it differently.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Historically, I’m generally quite oblivious to little flaws like light bleed, color temp irregularities, etc....that it until someone creates a very specific scenario to test for it. :rolleyes: If I hadn’t read any of these posts and articles about burn in, shadow crushing, or grain at low brightness, chances are I probably wouldn’t have even noticed. If I went ahead and put all my other devices though some specific tests for god-knows-what, I’d probably discover any number of little imperfections and it’d ruin them all for me.

So all that being said, I’m going dark on all this over analysis of the Pixel 2 XL for the immediate future, just going to put my 2 XL through its paces over the next 2 weeks, and make my own judgement simply based on regular, everyday use. I may post here and there to share my personal experience using the device but otherwise, I’ve got to stay out of this thread. ;)

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Just got a shipping notice.....for my Google Fabric case in Midnight for my Panda.
I'm trying to decide between that one and the cement one. Would you mind posting a photo of it when you get it?

Hmm, I purchased my Pixel 2 through Best Buy, I hope the extended warranty also applies to that. In the post it says "We’re very confident that the Pixel 2 delivers an exceptional smartphone experience, and to give users peace of mind, every Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will now come with a 2-year warranty worldwide." So, I'm assuming it doesn't matter where it's purchased from based on that. Good deal, I'm even more happy about the Pixel 2.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Pixel 2 arrived. Haven't had it long but I can say for certain that the screen is 100x better. Samsung AMOLED is clearly superior. My case arrives tomorrow, so I think I'm going to run the Pixel 2 caseless for one day and see if I like what I see. The screen size is a bit disheartening as I love the screen size of the 2xl, but the Pixel 2 screen is of such better quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.