Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The camera so far is my only disappointment. It is wonderful in the daytime, but I've yet to take a sunset or nighttime photo that captures the scene. My S8 always turned purple hues in the sunset to orange, which was annoying. My Pixel 2 is doing fine so far on colors, but it just makes everything at night too bright. If I manually lower exposure, which I did often on my S8 to capture sunsets and night scenes better and it worked great, but on my Pixel 2 it produces a whole lot of noise or speckles of light in the dark areas.

Here is a picture I took tonight. It has a lot of speckles in it. This happens every time I manually lower exposure to make it look like the actual scene I'm looking at.

Interesting. I have had decent luck with my low light shots. Have done a lot of back to back with my iphone 7, and usually come out being impressed with both phones ability to handle low light and noise. While many will likely prefer the colors on the pixel’s shot (as did I), it isn’t as true to life as was the older iPhone 7 color reproduction was.

In the end, it is nice that both platforms have options to shoot RAW photos with 3rd party apps. Just wish iOS would let you change the default camera app though. ;)

i-DQdCGkk-X3.jpg

i-xFL3h7s-X3.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting. I have had decent luck with my low light shots. Have done a lot of back to back with my iphone 7, and usually come out being impressed with both phones ability to handle low light and noise. While many will likely prefer the colors on the pixel’s shot (as did I), it isn’t as true to life as was the older iPhone 7 color reproduction was.

In the end, it is nice that both platforms have options to shoot RAW photos with 3rd party apps. Just wish iOS would let you change the default camera app though. ;)

i-DQdCGkk-X3.jpg

i-xFL3h7s-X3.jpg
I like how the Pixel handles noise. It’s presented as ordinary noise. iPhone cameras have always tried to DO something to noise to mitigate it, but it just ends up turning noise into a watercolors painterly effect, instead, which makes for a mushier looking image.

Being a stickler for color accuracy, I do prefer the colors your iPhone captured. But I have to admire how much more detail the Pixel retained. Lol, it embraces the noise! I like that, it’s kind of old school film style.

At first I was worried the Pixels were over sharpening pictures to get the low light ones in particular to show such fine detail. But when I peek in close, the details are in fact there.

I do wish we still had MRU’s expertise at our disposal. I miss his comments on display saturation levels and his remarkable eye and knowledge of smartphone photography.

I’m just a novice struggling to describe what I see and like without truly having any mastery over the subjects.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I like how the Pixel handles noise. It’s presented as ordinary noise. iPhone cameras have always tried to DO something to noise to mitigate it, but it just ends up turning noise into a watercolors painterly effect, instead, which makes for a mushier looking image.

Being a stickler for color accuracy, I do prefer the colors your iPhone captured. But I have to admire how much more detail the Pixel retained. Lol, it embraces the noise! I like that, it’s kind of old school film style.

At first I was worried the Pixels were over sharpening pictures to get the low light ones in particular to show such fine detail. But when I peek in close, the details are in fact there.

I do wish we still had MRU’s expertise at our disposal. I miss his comments on display saturation levels and his remarkable eye and knowledge of smartphone photography.

I’m just a novice struggling to describe what I see and like without truly having any mastery over the subjects.

Yeah it is hard struggle for me. As a photographer, I prefer shooting in raw, but as a tech guy, I also like the machine learning and computational photography features of smartphones for the quick and dirty shots used for social media and other things.

In normal cases when shooting stuff like this (sunsets) I go full RAW, and let my software resolve the noise. In RAW form (no examples online now) the Pixel and iPhone 7s sensor noise are quite similar, it is what the software does to it that is markedly different ( IMO ).

Really happy with the Pixel’s shots so far overall, though, they tend to be colder in general, which doesn’t (oddly) happen as much in low light.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My OnTrac and Google customer servcie nightmare
Ordered the 2XL 64GB on 10/04
Supposed to be delivered on 10/23 from OnTrac. I have heard bad things about Ontrac on other forums.
I work from home everyother week and this was my week to work from home so it was perefect! i would be here when the phone was delivered.
My home office is in the front room of my house. My desk faces the front window that faces the front of my house. To get to my front door....people have to cross in front of the window and I'm 20ft away fromt he window.

So on delivery day I am excited and watching every car that passed by my street! Can't wait to get hold of my new phone!

At 11AM I get an email from Google telling me my phone was delivered and to enjoy my new devcie!
I'm like whaaaat? I am right here looking out my front window at the time. No one came by no truck....no one walked up the sidewalk to my front door. I would have seen them.
So i go outside to check.....nothing. I check the bushes...side of the house. I even walk to my neightbors on boths sides of me and check their front doors and no packages.

So i start calling OnTrac had to wait 30 minutes to get a person......they say they will look into it and contact the driver and get back to me. They never called back.
Meanwhile I am IMing with Google customer servcie and explaining the whole issue. Googgle customner support takes all my info says he looked into it and belives me and will issue a replacement phone ASAP! He (Edwin) says i will get an email shortly with tracking and order confirmation because he has ahad a order specialsit processing it while he as communicating with me. So far it has been an 90 minuutes communicating with Google customer support.

So far no communication from OnTrac or Google supoort or any kind of follow up. No emails no call backs.

Wednesday morning I start call OnTrac and Google.
OnTrac says they cannot give me anymore information. they can only talk to the shipper who is Google. i ask them if they have GPS on their trucks. She says they do but it's not very accurate. I tell her GPS would prove the driver never delivered the phone. She says she cannot tell that and refuses to say anything else.

I called Google customer service.......they are hard to get a hold of! It takes me 45 minutes to speak to someone. I was on the phone with him for another 90 minutes. He said the last person i talekd to did not open the support case but he would do it. He said now I have to wait for their shipping and claims person to get back to me in 3 to 5 business days!
I am so disappointed in Google...first for using OnTrac who has a terrible reputation. Then for their horrible customer service. They are so matter of fact and detached. They act like they could careless about me being charged for a phone that I haven't received.

I told them they have the IMEI number of the phone and to disable it so no one can activate and use it.

They assure me they will get to the bottom of it and I will get another phone. But that they will ahve to refund me then wait for it to clear then process another order which might take a couple weeks to go through their system. This after waiting for 3 weeks already for the phone in the first place!

I think I will just cancel and get a refund.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Supposed to be delivered on 10/23 from OnTrac. I have heard bad things about Ontrac on other forums.
I work from home everyother week and this was my week to work from home so it was perefect! i would be here when the phone was delivered.
My home office is in the front room of my house. My desk faces the front window that faces the front of my house. To get to my front door....people have to cross in front of the window and I'm 20ft away fromt he window.

So on delivery day I am excited and watching every car that passed by my street! Can't wait to get hold of my new phone!

At 11AM I get an email from Google telling me my phone was delivered and to enjoy my new devcie!
I'm like whaaaat? I am right here looking out my front window at the time. No one came by no truck....no one walked up the sidewalk to my front door. I would have seen them.
So i go outside to check.....nothing. I check the bushes...side of the house. I even walk to my neightbors on boths sides of me and check their front doors and no packages.

So i start calling OnTrac had to wait 30 minutes to get a person......they say they will look into it and contact the driver and get back to me. They never called back.
Meanwhile I am IMing with Google customer servcie and explaining the whole issue. Googgle customner support takes all my info says he looked into it and belives me and will issue a replacement phone ASAP! He (Edwin) says i will get an email shortly with tracking and order confirmation because he has ahad a order specialsit processing it while he as communicating with me. So far it has been an 90 minuutes communicating with Google customer support.

So far no communication from OnTrac or Google supoort or any kind of follow up. No emails no call backs.

OnTrac says they cannot give me anymore information. they can only talk to the shipper who is Google. i ask them if they have GPS on their trucks. She says they do but it's not very accurate. I tell her GPS would prove the driver never delivered the phone. She says she cannot tell that and refuses to say anything else.

I called Google customer service.......they are hard to get a hold of! It takes me 45 minutes to speak to someone. I was on the phone with him for another 90 minutes. He said the last person i talekd to did not open the support case but he would do it. He said now I have to wait for their shipping and claims person to get back to me in 3 to 5 business days!
I am so disappointed in Google...first for using OnTrac who has a terrible reputation. Then for their horrible customer service. They are so matter of fact and detached. They act like they could careless about me being charged for a phone that I haven't received.

I told them they have the IMEI number of the phone and to disable it so no one can activate and use it.

They assure me they will get to the bottom of it and I will get another phone. But that they will ahve to refund me then wait for it to clear then process another order which might take a couple weeks to go through their system. This after waiting for 3 weeks already for the phone in the first place!

Wow. That's awful. Sigh...Google is blowing this. And it leads me back to a contention I made a few days ago: it is NUTS INSANE NUTS that these companies do no require a signature. A required signature ends your issues within minutes - it shows they either didn't deliver or delivered to the wrong person. Over.

Really frustrating, dude. I've been there and it sucks.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I think it might depend on each individual unit. The blue shift is pretty apparent to shift at very modest angles on my husband’s phone. However the color itself is not obnoxious. But the changing of color temperature from warm to cool causes a bit of a flashing effect that catches one’s attention. I have a migraine problem so it could end up triggered by this sort of thing. I can’t tell since I am not handling the phone much at this point.

We haven’t seen any burn in yet so I’ll have to wait a few days on that.

Mild grain in low might be noticed. It depends on the person.

Taken all together all of the separate issues could concern even the average Joe. Especially at the price and if they’re coming from the Samsung.

I need more time to evaluate the colors from the display
No doubt about it. For every "good" screen that I hear about, I also will hear about a "bad" one. I do feel that I've seen more positive screen posts as of late, but I still feel that it's luck of the draw. That flashing effect you mentioned doesn't sound too good at all.
[doublepost=1509028439][/doublepost]

SO sorry to hear that. :( What a shame. Failure to deliver (and for Google to take 90 minutes to resolve the issue) something after charging you ~$1000 is a flat out disgrace!

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wow. That's awful. Sigh...Google is blowing this. And it leads me back to a contention I made a few days ago: it is NUTS INSANE NUTS that these companies do no require a signature. A required signature ends your issues within minutes - it shows they either didn't deliver or delivered to the wrong person. Over.

EXACTLY! If signature was required....no of this would have happened!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Dude, this is legit horrendous.
But it's not the first time I've heard of stroies like this, even over here in the UK.
These delivery companies have a lot to answer for.

And what's worse is, it always leaves the customer out of pocket, or in the worst position.
I know companies have to protect themselves to stop people pretending they never recieved delivery of an item, but Google should be doing more to speak to that delivery company and find out what has happened to your item.
You shouldn't be the go between.

I think you've made the right decision, getting a refund. It would have left a sour taste in my mouth too.
Hope you can find a resolution soon. :)

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

EXACTLY! If signature was required....none of this would have happened!

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012

That is brutal and not how Google should handle this at all. I would try to press on OnTrac a bit more, maybe get a more helpful representative. But overall, that just really sucks.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Dude, this is legit horrendous.
But it's not the first time I've heard of stroies like this, even over here in the UK.
These delivery companies have a lot to answer for.

And what's worse is, it always leaves the customer out of pocket, or in the worst position.
I know companies have to protect themselves to stop people pretending they never recieved delivery of an item, but Google should be doing more to speak to that delivery company and find out what has happened to your item.
You shouldn't be the go between.

I think you've made the right decision, getting a refund. It would have left a sour taste in my mouth too.
Hope you can find a resolution soon. :)
They can disable the device so it can never be used or activated. They should have the GPS data from OnTrac too....so they can see it was never delivered. Google is really dropping the ball here on a customer service level

Reactions: Aneres11

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No doubt about it. For every "good" screen that I hear about, I also will hear about a "bad" one. I do feel that I've seen more positive screen posts as of late, but I still feel that it's luck of the draw. That flashing effect you mentioned doesn't sound too good at all.
[doublepost=1509028439][/doublepost]
SO sorry to hear that. :( What a shame. Failure to deliver (and for Google to take 90 minutes to resolve the issue) something after charging you ~$1000 is a flat out disgrace!
Neurologists are still on the fence about coming flat out and diagnosing my condition as epilepsy because my seizures don’t match in every respect those of epilepsy. Right now they’re settling on it being a form of migraine that bears very close similarity to epilepsy. I wouldn’t worry too much about my reaction to the “flashing” unless you have a similar condition. My husband does not seem to notice it.

I didn’t find the bluer hue particularly unpleasant on its own. It’s the switching over of warm white to bluer white that jars my senses a bit. My heightened sensitivities to such transitions cause me to perceive it as “flashing”. In this respect I’m most definitely not an average Joe.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
EXACTLY! If signature was required....none of this would have happened!

I know it's frustrating but I'd recommend giving it another go. The device is awesome. My last issue with burn in made me wary but I'm willing to give it another try, that's how much I love the phone. If there's a problem with this one, I might throw in the towel.

You KNOW you need to own a Pixel XL 2 at least once this year, my friend. ;)

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

ugh. that sucks. hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Edit - forum being weird (or my pc) - double post.
It’s the forum being weird. As I sat there typing I kept getting interrupted by notices of forum database errors. This has been happening since I posted last night about my cat pictures.

@jamezr this is horrible customer treatment. On a par with what happened when I took my $1000 pair of glasses in for snapping in two pieces after only a few months of good treatment. But that’s a problem not for this forum.

I don’t blame you for canceling. I don’t think the 2XL is worth your attention at this point with the defects coupled with the horrible customer service. I do hope you will stay tuned to this thread to provide us with your insights and thoughts.

I told my husband if my Pixel 2 experience isn’t what I’m hoping for, I’m just going to sit tight with the IPhone 7 Plus that’s serving me so well until these companies get their poop together. I am not turning back to Samsung since I experienced personally with my loaner S7 this complaint many S8+ users are experiencing with their phones turning on in their pockets and getting up to all sorts of mischief like dialing emergency services https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...cpage/board-id/GalaxyS/page/1/thread-id/23186

I’m not trying to stir up trouble on Samsung. I’m just explaining why I would exit or take a break from the Android upgrade path if the Pixel 2 fails to work out for me. I simply experienced just enough aggravation with Samsung qc and customer service issues that they are not an option for me personally right now. There’s a slim chance I would consider an unlocked LG V 30 when the prices come down more. Maybe.

Reactions: jamezr and Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
They can disable the device so it can never be used or activated. They should have the GPS data from OnTrac too....so they can see it was never delivered. Google is really dropping the ball here on a customer service level

I know it sounds silly but have you tweeted Google?
The power of Twitter is alarming at times.

A lot of companies will take you into a DM message and look to assist where possible. Often it's better (and quicker) than calling them and waiting on hold.
Just a thought if you were running out of options. :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I know it sounds silly but have you tweeted Google?
The power of Twitter is alarming at times.

A lot of companies will take you into a DM message and look to assist where possible. Often it's better (and quicker) than calling them and waiting on hold.
Just a thought if you were running out of options. :)
I might try that today! Thanks!

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
@jamezr

Wow that just sucks and very worrisome :eek:

Makes me nervous also mine is due in tomorrow and as far as I know it's sitting at the Depot here in town right now. Due end of day tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
@jamezr

Wow that just sucks and very worrisome :eek:

Makes me nervous also mine is due in tomorrow and as far as I know it's sitting at the Depot here in town right now. Due end of day tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend.
Who delivering it? I get a lot of phones delivered and have never had a problem before this with OnTrac.

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
It’s the forum being weird. As I sat there typing I kept getting interrupted by notices of forum database errors. This has been happening since I posted last night about my cat pictures.

@jamezr I am not turning back to Samsung since I experienced personally with my loaner S7 this complaint many S8+ users are experiencing with their phones turning on in their pockets and getting up to all sorts of mischief like dialing emergency services https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...cpage/board-id/GalaxyS/page/1/thread-id/23186

I have not had this happen on my note 8 anyone else had this issue here?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Wow, that sucks. Between this and what happened with Essential, you really haven't had that much luck with customer services. Hope it gets sorted out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.