Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dch_neo17

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2017
YES!! Thank you so much for linking this.

Per the article -- Saturated color mode confirmed!

It's great to see that Google has been keeping an eye on what the community has been saying as well as responding to customer feedback. There have absolutely been issues with the Pixel 2 XL. But it's terrific to see Google owning up to it and addressing it fairly quickly. The question remains what will Quality Control look like from here on out?

ALSO: Two year warranty on ALL Pixel 2's confirmed.

Here's the full statement from Google:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/FRyoLZZjXvo

[doublepost=1509060685][/doublepost]
@dch_neo17, is that permanent burn-in or image retention?

Way to test:
I watched a movie for an hour and 20 minutes continuously and went to the grey background; I still see a ghost image of the white nav bar and black buttons. It was not as sharp as it was before but still there. I cycled through a couple of apps with the navigation buttons up and then went back to the grey background - ghost image was back to strength it was before. There seems to be slight burn in, and screen has bad image retention. I attached the image I used to test, you can download this image and check your screens as well.
936d4442442ee05ce9db7d35254b77d3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and v0lume4

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I watched a movie for an hour and 20 minutes continuously and went to the grey background; I still see a ghost image of the white nav bar and black buttons. It was not as sharp as it was before but still there. I cycled through a couple of apps with the navigation buttons up and then went back to the grey background - ghost image was back to strength it was before. There seems to be slight burn in, and screen has bad image retention. I attached the image I used to test, please let me know if any others see the image retention.
Maybe I don't have very good vision because I can't see anything?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I see burn in a bit on my 2XL. I'm really not liking the size of the Pixel 2, though. It's a beautiful device and Google overlays the nav buttons to get the most out of the smaller Pixel 2, but I like the 2XL better in my hand and the battery life is clearly superior. I have until tuesday to decide on returning the 2XL.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I watched a movie for an hour and 20 minutes continuously and went to the grey background; I still see a ghost image of the white nav bar and black buttons. It was not as sharp as it was before but still there. I cycled through a couple of apps with the navigation buttons up and then went back to the grey background - ghost image was back to strength it was before. There seems to be slight burn in, and screen has bad image retention. I attached the image I used to test, you can download this image and check your screens as well.
Thank you for the share as well as for taking the time to investigate. I'm curious myself, as I have a 2 XL on preorder. Just checked and my Nexus 6P is burned in. :D Not super terrible, but it's there.

Honestly I wouldn't expect burn in this quickly, and if I were in your shoes my OCD would probably be killing me. So I'm not sure what I would do. For what it's worth -- I only realized that my 6P was burned in like a week or two ago, and that's after owning the device for nearly a year. So part of me wants to say -- bro, enjoy the phone. You probably will never notice. But it's your money and your decision to make. I can't say that I wouldn't have the same level of concern if I were in your shoes too.

Reactions: Oohara and tbayrgs

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just tested my S8. No screen burn in at all. And I have AoD on since day one when it was first released.

Burn in after a few days of use on the XL is, simply put, unacceptable.

Reactions: 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
YES!! Thank you so much for linking this.

Per the article -- Saturated color mode confirmed!

It's great to see that Google has been keeping an eye on what the community has been saying as well as responding to customer feedback. There have absolutely been issues with the Pixel 2 XL. But it's terrific to see Google owning up to it and addressing it fairly quickly. The question remains what will Quality Control look like from here on out?

ALSO: Two year warranty on ALL Pixel 2's confirmed.

Here's the full statement from Google:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/FRyoLZZjXvo

[doublepost=1509060685][/doublepost]
@dch_neo17, is that permanent burn-in or image retention?

Way to test:

Owning it? Part of their message was that their tests showed their screens didn’t have more issues than other phones. Yet that’s crap.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Just starting setting it up, but man the blue tint is worse on mine then I saw in stores, but the colors look better. Love the look and feel of the phone, yet the glass on the top of back feels better then the aluminum. Going to use for a few days before I decide anything more.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
From the reports in the links above, Google seems to suggest colour problems/ burn in can be solved via a software update. But some people have issues while others don't (like the amount of blue etc). Wouldn't they all pretty much be the same if was simply a software fix?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
From the reports in the links above, Google seems to suggest colour problems/ burn in can be solved via a software update. But some people have issues while others don't (like the amount of blue etc). Wouldn't they all pretty much be the same if was simply a software fix?

Software can help to slow down or stop burn in before it shows up. After it shows up, it’s there. You’re screwed. It goes from possible software fix to a bad hardware issue.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Google also posted a longer explanation of what I've been trying to explain here about why colors look more saturated on other devices.

The coming "fix" will be the option to turn off color management so that the colors on the screen are no longer mapped to the correct location -- just like the Pixel 1 and OLED devices of the past.

https://productforums.google.com/fo...FWSMFcDgA;context-place=forum/phone-by-google

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My 2 XL arrived and will be setting up as I wait for the X preorder.
How did you fare on the preorders? My husband got a November 4 day for a 256 GB Space Grey. I did a backup order for him and got November 17-24.

Initially it was my phone number on my order and when I had to enter my account information it all got rejected because my phone number doesn’t match the information for the primary account holder, so I put in my husband’s phone number and his account information in. Which seems to be accepted. Still, I hope it doesn’t mess up his excellent order that there are two orders with the same phone number in the system. We are going to cancel the worst shipping date one anyway so I hope they cancel the one I entered, not his! His order did have a delivery address snafu but that seems to have been cleared up. These things have to be done so fast and we were half asleep so it was hard to be careful. He had most of his stuff entered already.

It was 2:58 am and I waddled downstairs to get my credit card just in case Apple Pay didn’t work for some reason. I’m amazed I got the good shipping date I did. Once my husband announced he got his order in I almost stopped and went back to sleep, but I decided to keep on going in case he found out something got messed up. I double checked and I did indeed order an iPhone X and not something else which is amazing considering I looked, felt and sounded drunk.

My husband is still testing his Pixel 2 XL. He’s reasonably sure he’s going to return it, but he does like it so far. Just probably not enough to justify the $1000 spent on it, and not enough to displace his S8+ that he’s very fond of. He does think the camera is better than that of our iPhone 7 Pluses and Samsungs, by a decent margin. It seems to soak in more detail. He may like it even more as he gets more proficient with it. Right now he keeps aiming it on his subjects wrong and complaining stuff is overexposed. I scolded him for blaming the Pixel.

Reactions: deany

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
How did you fare on the preorders? My husband got a November 4 day for a 256 GB Space Grey. I did a backup order for him and got November 17-24.

Initially it was my phone number on my order and when I had to enter my account information it all got rejected because my phone number doesn’t match the information for the primary account holder, so I put in my husband’s phone number and his account information in. Which seems to be accepted. Still, I hope it doesn’t mess up his excellent order that there are two orders with the same phone number in the system. We are going to cancel the worst shipping date one anyway so I hope they cancel the one I entered, not his! His order did have a delivery address snafu but that seems to have been cleared up. These things have to be done so fast and we were half asleep so it was hard to be careful. He had most of his stuff entered already.

It was 2:58 am and I waddled downstairs to get my credit card just in case Apple Pay didn’t work for some reason. I’m amazed I got the good shipping date I did. Once my husband announced he got his order in I almost stopped and went back to sleep, but I decided to keep on going in case he found out something got messed up. I double checked and I did indeed order an iPhone X and not something else which is amazing considering I looked, felt and sounded drunk.

My husband is still testing his Pixel 2 XL. He’s reasonably sure he’s going to return it, but he does like it so far. Just probably not enough to justify the $1000 spent on it, and not enough to displace his S8+ that he’s very fond of. He does think the camera is better than that of our iPhone 7 Pluses and Samsungs, by a decent margin. It seems to soak in more detail. He may like it even more as he gets more proficient with it. Right now he keeps aiming it on his subjects wrong and complaining stuff is overexposed. I scolded him for blaming the Pixel.

Was lucky and got one for my wife and I with launch day deliveries. Will be interesting the compare to the Pixel for sure.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Was lucky and got one for my wife and I with launch day deliveries. Will be interesting the compare to the Pixel for sure.
I’m reasonably confident the IPhone X in terms of hardware is going to be gorgeous and look and feel like the $1000+ phone that it is. I have to be very honest and say the Pixel 2XL doesn’t look and feel that way to me and GrumpyDad. But both he and I are evaluating the overall experience.

I know he wasn’t wowed by the hardware but I can see the UX is growing on him slowly. There are a lot of hardware features missing from the Pixels compared to Samsung flagships. But there’s a bit of pixie dust magic going on with getting free cloud storage for pictures and video. Smoother android mojo. It’s not a phone anyone should look at five minutes and dismiss because it’s not supermodel levels of hotness. Unless you get a clearly defective one...that will be apparent. Chuck that back to Google! I don’t think the build quality of my husband’s particular Pixel 2XL is bad. But the weird blinking on and off issue he had upon the first boot up was a bit concerning.

Reactions: deany

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
After 16 hours with both devices, I have decided to return the Pixel 2 (non-XL). While the Pixel 2 does seem to have the better screen,
  • I noticed the call issues in the Pixel 2
  • The smaller screen is A LOT smaller
  • The Pixel 2 XL battery life is superior
  • Now that Google is extending the warranty and updating the software, I have no qualms about holding on to my 2 XL
That's enough reason for me, honestly. It's probably one of those things where if I didn't already have the XL in hand, I would have stuck with the Pixel 2, but the Pixel 2 is just SO small.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I’m reasonably confident the IPhone X in terms of hardware is going to be gorgeous and look and feel like the $1000+ phone that it is. I have to be very honest and say the Pixel 2XL doesn’t look and feel that way to me and GrumpyDad. But both he and I are evaluating the overall experience.

I know he wasn’t wowed by the hardware but I can see the UX is growing on him slowly. There are a lot of hardware features missing from the Pixels compared to Samsung flagships. But there’s a bit of pixie dust magic going on with getting free cloud storage for pictures and video. Smoother android mojo. It’s not a phone anyone should look at five minutes and dismiss because it’s not supermodel levels of hotness. Unless you get a clearly defective one...that will be apparent. Chuck that back to Google! I don’t think the build quality of my husband’s particular Pixel 2XL is bad. But the weird blinking on and off issue he had upon the first boot up was a bit concerning.

Yeah I agree completely. Don't have the best initial impressive of the hardware, and my screen has pretty bad blue tint, worse then I have seen in stores. But the software is really nice, a phone to keep for a while for sure and hope it grows on me.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Unbox Therapy still has not got up his review yet. He thought he would have it up a week ago, I think. Then he showed up in that Samsung ad, so who knows now what’s going to happen.
[doublepost=1509117087][/doublepost]
After 16 hours with both devices, I have decided to return the Pixel 2 (non-XL). While the Pixel 2 does seem to have the better screen,
  • I noticed the call issues in the Pixel 2
  • The smaller screen is A LOT smaller
  • The Pixel 2 XL battery life is superior
  • Now that Google is extending the warranty and updating the software, I have no qualms about holding on to my 2 XL
That's enough reason for me, honestly. It's probably one of those things where if I didn't already have the XL in hand, I would have stuck with the Pixel 2, but the Pixel 2 is just SO small.
Ah, my husband wisely kept my Panda order alive for now. I don’t want to get billed for it and I thought my choice of the smaller Pixel would be a no brainer. But I do need to actually use it first. Lol.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
First a hidden chip that will hopefully improve the device more (it’s like giving your car an Aftermarket tune), and now a free 2nd year warranty on my little Pixel 2.

I know the second isn’t for good reasons, but It is nice to see that Google is standing behind their product! I have added an app that lets me rotate my phone 180, so the home buttons can be swapped to the “normal top” of the screen, and have also installed Nova launcher that got rid of the status / notification bar that I dislike on both Android and iOS.

Only issues that I am having with my Pixel, are hopefully related to software. 2 games that I love on both platforms, crash my phone (shut it down fully) on the Pixel when I adjust the graphics settings to max. Have had apps crash on an iPhone, but in 8 years of using them, never had the phone shut down.

Reactions: deany and v0lume4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.