Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
About as light and fluffy as MKHBDXYZ.
I thought he was pretty objective, no?

He addressed the screen issues, as well as stated that this phone had the blue shift and that Google doesn't deserve a pass at that price point. With that said, he enjoys the phone enough anyway to be purchasing one for himself. How is that light and fluffy?

Reactions: deany and JaySoul

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Mine is due in today, at least last time I checked. First thing right off the bat will be a bootloader unlock...

Then root. At least I think SuperSU has been updated for the device :eek:

Mine was delivered about 2 hours ago, sitting at home waiting for me to get off work and play. Haven’t had a new device to play with in quite a while so very excited to put it through its paces.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Mine was delivered about 2 hours ago, sitting at home waiting for me to get off work and play. Have had a new device to play with in quite a while so very excited to put it through its paces.

How do you think the 2XL will fit into your ecosystem?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

He addressed the screen issues, as well as stated that this phone had the blue shift and that Google doesn't deserve a pass at that price point. With that said, he enjoys the phone enough anyway to be purchasing one for himself. How is that light and fluffy?

Yeah, that review seemed pretty spot on.

I wonder what device he's alluding to that he said he can't talk about yet, that it might offer even better performance than the Pixel? Gotta be the new HTC being announced next week.

Reactions: deany

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Yeah, that review seemed pretty spot on.

I wonder what device he's alluding to that he said he can't talk about yet, that it might offer even better performance than the Pixel? Gotta be the new HTC being announced next week.
IMO, if the upcoming HTC phone is pretty slick, it will give us an idea as to what we might be able to expect next year from the Pixel 3. Hopefully it's not still bezelicious like HTC's current offerings.

I also ponder if he might be teasing the OnePlus 5T. That phone will probably be a looker, too.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017

I didn't say he wasn't objective.

But, i want to see proper reviews, not overviews.

With the pixel line being so much about software, i want to see how that works for the reviewer and the phone.

Is the launcher any good. Is the now feed a steaming pile as it is for me on my non pixel? Is googles obsession with white a pita. How about theming, messaging, email?. Is maps as unreliable for the pixel as for others? What apps are installed? Is the lack of features or os functionality really worth it?

You know, indepth reviews.

I miss them

Reactions: deany and v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.damianpiwowarski.navbarapps&hl=en

Just found this app. Will probably mitigate burn-in, not to mention it's just cool. Requires an in-app purchase if you want all the features, but it's just $0.99 I think. Will post some screenshots momentarily.

Edit -- Pics

Using this on my Nexus 6P. Have the "Pixel Bar" applied if you look closely.

One more edit --

Might cause slight performance hit on Nexus 6P. Jury's still out for me. YMMV.

Edit 3 (for those interested) --

I don't feel that the performance hit on my Nexus 6P is worth using the option that dynamically chnages the nav bar depending on the app. You can still choose a static color, however. Thankfully, this is going to be come a native feature in Android 8.1.

Screenshot_20171027_164551.png

Screenshot_20171027_164618.png

Screenshot_20171027_164730.png

[doublepost=1509140039][/doublepost]
I didn't say he wasn't objective.

But, i want to see proper reviews, not overviews.

With the pixel line being so much about software, i want to see how that works for the reviewer and the phone.

Is the launcher any good. Is the now feed a steaming pile as it is for me on my non pixel? Is googles obsession with white a pita. How about theming, messaging, email?. Is maps as unreliable for the pixel as for others? What apps are installed? Is the lack of features or os functionality really worth it?

You know, indepth reviews.

I miss them
Do you watch Saabkyle04 on YouTube? Crazy in-depth car profiles, as far as the interior and exterior is concerned (not as much as far as the driving experience is concerned). I mean, even the position of the hazard light button in the interiors of the vehicles, for example. We need a tech reviewer that does the same thing!

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.damianpiwowarski.navbarapps&hl=en

Just found this app. Will probably mitigate burn-in, not to mention it's just cool. Requires an in-app purchase if you want all the features, but it's just $0.99 I think. Will post some screenshots momentarily.

Edit -- Pics

Using this on my Nexus 6P. Have the "Pixel Bar" applied if you look closely.

One more edit --

Might cause slight performance hit on Nexus 6P. Jury's still out for me. YMMV.

Edit 3 (for those interested) --

I don't feel that the performance hit on my Nexus 6P is worth using the option that dynamically chnages the nav bar depending on the app. You can still choose a static color, however. Thankfully, this is going to be come a native feature in Android 8.1.

Screenshot_20171027_164551.png

Screenshot_20171027_164618.png

Screenshot_20171027_164730.png

[doublepost=1509140039][/doublepost]
Do you watch Saabkyle04 on YouTube? Crazy in-depth car profiles, as far as the interior and exterior is concerned (not as much as far as the driving experience is concerned). I mean, even the position of the hazard light button in the interiors of the vehicles, for example. We need a tech reviewer that does the same thing!

That might help prevent the burn in from happening. Sadly it does nothing for people who already have it.

Reactions: epicrayban

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
How do you think the 2XL will fit into your ecosystem?

Honestly, not sure. If I had to commit to switching to Android outright, it’s unlikely I’d do it. I need to use an iPhone for work and I can’t leave my Apple Watch behind altogether either. I think I’m going to try rocking two phones using TMobile’s Digits so that I can use one number across multiple devices. And even when using the Pixel, I can wear the Apple Watch and still receive data over wifi.

My at home ecosystem isn’t all Apple—use Google Home, Android TV, and Chromecast Audio daily, my home network is created using Google WiFi, and I rely on a whole bunch of Google services and apps (gmail for email, calendars and contacts, Google Play Music, Google Maps, amongst others). I really want to see how the Google Assistant can integrate with my everyday routine as well.

If it goes well, I may even try out Android Wear again.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well once again the forum is throwing errors when I try to upload the pic. But anyway it’s here. My Pixel 2. 128 GB Just Black

First thing my husband noticed was the SIM card tray wasn’t flush to the body and pressing on it didn’t help. But after I loaded the card in it looked fine. So there’s that to be aware of if you unbox yours and notice something like that.

It looks like my iPhone 7 Plus had a baby! It’s a little smaller. I think it’s got the same or similar dimensions as my HTC 10 but much less thick. I’ll dig that phone out of my messy office another day. The fingerprint sensor is insanely awesome so far. We will see how long that lasts. But my HTC 10 stayed excellent so a girl can hope.

The display is gorgeous. I can see a slight color shift on it if I tilt but it’s the typical one for a good quality OLED. Nothing to be dismayed about. I can’t see a grain. Colors are fine so far. I didn’t notice a lot of difference from my iPhone display of colors. It is very small. I’m used to iPhone Plus and S8+ dimensions. I have an iPhone SE with an even smaller display but the thing about that was the whole phone was small enough to fully use one handed. This one is small but still needs two hands for typing at least. But it’s a good display. I’ll see how I feel staying on it. I do find it very awkward to type on the diminished dimensions.

Call quality from the one test I made was good. Calling my dad will be the real test. If Dad grouses that I am calling from the bottom of a trash can or asks me “Are you on that damn iPhone again?” :rolleyes: I’ll know it’s not good. It supposedly can’t do WiFi calling on AT&T. I don’t yet know what my voicemail situation is.

Question—First thing I did was install the Samsung Browser. What are you all using for Ad Blockers?

I like to squeeze the phone to activate Assistant. My small girly hand is the perfect size match for this phone so that feature is easy for me to use.

There is still so much more for me to install and get going.

I did set all of my custom Do Not Disturb settings. I was glad to see that was pretty standard to what I was used to on Samsung.

The things that confuse me:

My Google Account for this phone already has pictures loaded on it from my Samsung and my iPhone. I have been paying for my Google Photos storage. So how exactly does my free storage work? I also have three Google accounts registered for my emails. I don’t know how the phone knows which one to store to.

I’m probably confusing you all. Sorry I am so tired I can’t English to save my life. ;) I’ll probably hit the support peeps up for help after I’ve had a good nights sleep.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Well once again the forum is throwing errors when I try to upload the pic. But anyway it’s here. My Pixel 2. 128 GB Just Black

First thing my husband noticed was the SIM card tray wasn’t flush to the body and pressing on it didn’t help. But after I loaded the card in it looked fine. So there’s that to be aware of if you unbox yours and notice something like that.

It looks like my iPhone 7 Plus had a baby! It’s a little smaller. I think it’s got the same or similar dimensions as my HTC 10 but much less thick. I’ll dig that phone out of my messy office another day. The fingerprint sensor is insanely awesome so far. We will see how long that lasts. But my HTC 10 stayed excellent so a girl can hope.

The display is gorgeous. I can see a slight color shift on it if I tilt but it’s the typical one for a good quality OLED. Nothing to be dismayed about. I can’t see a grain. Colors are fine so far. I didn’t notice a lot of difference from my iPhone display of colors. It is very small. I’m used to iPhone Plus and S8+ dimensions. I have an iPhone SE with an even smaller display but the thing about that was the whole phone was small enough to fully use one handed. This one is small but still needs two hands for typing at least. But it’s a good display. I’ll see how I feel staying on it. I do find it very awkward to type on the diminished dimensions.

Call quality from the one test I made was good. Calling my dad will be the real test. If Dad grouses that I am calling from the bottom of a trash can or asks me “Are you on that damn iPhone again?” :rolleyes: I’ll know it’s not good. It supposedly can’t do WiFi calling on AT&T. I don’t yet know what my voicemail situation is.

Question—First thing I did was install the Samsung Browser. What are you all using for Ad Blockers?

I like to squeeze the phone to activate Assistant. My small girly hand is the perfect size match for this phone so that feature is easy for me to use.

There is still so much more for me to install and get going.

I did set all of my custom Do Not Disturb settings. I was glad to see that was pretty standard to what I was used to on Samsung.

The things that confuse me:

My Google Account for this phone already has pictures loaded on it from my Samsung and my iPhone. I have been paying for my Google Photos storage. So how exactly does my free storage work? I also have three Google accounts registered for my emails. I don’t know how the phone knows which one to store to.

I’m probably confusing you all. Sorry I am so tired I can’t English to save my life. ;) I’ll probably hit the support peeps up for help after I’ve had a good nights sleep.

I'm also using Samsung browser, because I like the ad blocker. But I also can't stand Chrome because of the pinch to zoom.

I don't like how you have to move your fingers farther apart before it starts zooming. Samsung Internet doesn't do that. Sadly, the pinch to zoom that I don't like is also in Google Photos and Twitter. It's weird, though, because Google Photos didn't do that on my S8.

Maybe Google does this to get around the patent dispute with Apple, but it's still annoying.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Follow up to My OnTrac and Google customer service nightmare

So just got off the phone with Google CS. Finally got someone to resolve the issue after 6 hours of phone calls.
Their only answer is to refund my money and let me order it again! This process could take another two weeks before I could order another Pixel 2 XL. First they have to process the refund....that is 3 business days. Then for it to show in my account....that could take another 3 business days. Then I would be able to place another order...which may or may not take another few weeks to get to me depending on if they have stock to ship. I might not receive a replacement phone for almost a month.

For all my trouble all the Google CS offered me was $25
playstore credit and free overnight shipping

Google CS response
"Thank you for contact. I hope you morning is going well. My name is LaToya and I will be more than happy to help you. I do apologize that you have not received your package. I’ve processed a full refund for your Pixel 2 XL. Your refund will be processed in 3 to 5 business days usually, but may take up to 14 business days depending on your banking institution. I have seen it release sooner. You can always check to see if a refund has been processed by visiting ***********. I also want to offer you overnight shipping for free. When you do decided to reorder down the road, let me know and I will be happy too. Also I do want to offer you $25.00 in Google Play Credit."

Horrible customer service from Google and a very unpleasant buying experience

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
A really quick first thoughts post:

(I'm typing this out on my 6p)

Phone sits pretty nice in hand, it's definitely 2 handed use. Balance seems nice.

Thing is super quick downloading and installing updates. Feels pretty responsive.

I noticed the "blue shift" up near the top of the phone during set up, to me it seemed a bit more shadow and a property of the screen... Not sure how to say it, like viewing the pixels off axis? Kind of like seeing glare or something.

Don't seem like a worry to me.

Washed out or muted? Meh? I mean yeah a little bit. I guess kind of like raw or log video, well, not that flat, but I think the thing is usable.

Screen looks pretty bright, auto brightness went out the window and I set the brightness to about 40%

I do feel as if I cannot carry it on my as a second device. The sleekness and how my pockets are arranged and the cost, this is probably going to be a really expensive mini tablet :eek:

I can't wait to get root for this thing and I really can't wait to see what Google does for the device.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll scratch root?

Shall I call her Pixie? :D

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

So just got off the phone with Google CS. Finally got someone to resolve the issue after 6 hours of phone calls.
Their only answer is to refund my money and let me order it again! This process could take another two weeks before I could order another Pixel 2 XL. First they have to process the refund....that is 3 business days. Then for it to show in my account....that could take another 3 business days. Then I would be able to place another order...which may or may not take another few weeks to get to me depending on if they have stock to ship. I might not receive a replacement phone for almost a month.

Google CS response
"Thank you for contact. I hope you morning is going well. My name is LaToya and I will be more than happy to help you. I do apologize that you have not received your package. I’ve processed a full refund for your Pixel 2 XL. Your refund will be processed in 3 to 5 business days usually, but may take up to 14 business days depending on your banking institution. I have seen it release sooner. You can always check to see if a refund has been processed by visiting ***********. I also want to offer you overnight shipping for free. When you do decided to reorder down the road, let me know and I will be happy too. Also I do want to offer you $25.00 in Google Play Credit."

Ouch! :( That sucks. I’d have a real difficult time ordering from Google again after that experience. I know it’s no real consolation but at least your cost here is limited to the time you invested in trying to resolve it.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

Google CS response

That makes dreadful reading, simply not good enough by Google. No one should experience this at near on $1000 for a smartphone.
I do still feel Google are serious to take on Samsung and Apple, but with this CS they won't come close.

If I'm unhappy I tend to say "I would like to speak to your Superior" this often works but you should not need to do this.

Google need a 'hard nosed' Alan Sugar business man/women 'old school' type to shake things up.
As I said Simply not good enough by Google, only time will tell if the "Google are now serious" is a good call, or a miscalculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I have a question. Shouldn't Google start looking towards the SVP of hardware for all these QC issues and poor partnership decisions? I mean, he's responsible for all things hardware and that's exactly what is missing the mark two years in a row.

For those unaware, that person is Rick Osterloh.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I came back from the restaurant. It was just me and the hubby so we tested the cameras in their lighting. The iPhone 7 Plus kept noise under control better under the dim lighting.

I noticed what might be a deal breaker: there is the heavy yellow tint it put on our skin tones in dim light and the flash is not as subtle and sophisticated as what the iPhone flash can achieve. It does look like I'm jaundiced on the Pixel photos. I'm also having a hard time typing on this keyboard. I don't know how I managed it on the HTC. That latter will take time. The former could probably easily be fixed in software but how would you go about getting Google to care enough to bother?

I'm gonna to read and go to bed. I nodded off in the middle of typing out several sentences. :eek:
[doublepost=1509159864][/doublepost]
Can someone please share screen on time on 4g
I'm sorry. I believe you might have asked this question before and not received a response. I don't think anybody means to ignore you but I don't think any of us are running on 4G. I know it's still available because I had a watch that ran on 4g. As far as I know, my cellphones run on LTE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.