Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Can someone please share screen on time on 4g
This might not answer your question entirely, but I've been seeing reports of 4-5 hours of screen on time for Pixel 2 and 2 XL. I cannot confirm whether that was entirely on 4G or with WiFi as well. Some people have gotten over 6 hours of screen on time.

If the question is: is the battery good? Yes, it appears to be downright incredible.

edit -- 5 hours SoT might not mean much to some of you but coming from a Nexus 6P that's insane. Just wanted to add context. :p

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I came back from the restaurant. It was just me and the hubby so we tested the cameras in their lighting. The iPhone 7 Plus kept noise under control better under the dim lighting.

I noticed what might be a deal breaker: there is the heavy yellow tint it put on our skin tones in dim light and the flash is not as subtle and sophisticated as what the iPhone flash can achieve. It does look like I'm jaundiced on the Pixel photos. I'm also having a hard time typing on this keyboard. I don't know how I managed it on the HTC. That latter will take time. The former could probably easily be fixed in software but how would you go about getting Google to care enough to bother?

I'm gonna to read and go to bed. I nodded off in the middle of typing out several sentences. :eek:
[doublepost=1509159864][/doublepost]
I'm sorry. I believe you might have asked this question before and not received a response. I don't think anybody means to ignore you but I don't think any of us are running on 4G. I know it's still available because I had a watch that ran on 4g. As far as I know, my cellphones run on LTE

All of the low-light photos I've taken have an orange tint to them. None of them are the color I saw when taking the picture. If I change the white balance, some of the other modes seem closer to reality than auto.

Reactions: 5105973

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Got my new Pixel XL 2 in yesterday. Set it up last night.

Burn in already.

I could possibly ignore but obviously it's only going to get worse. These panels are effed.

And thus concludes my use of the best Android experience on the planet. Pretty frustrating.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Burn in already.

I could possibly ignore but obviously it's only going to get worse. These panels are effed.

And thus concludes my use of the best Android experience on the planet. Pretty frustrating.
I don't have a Pixel 2 XL of course. But as others have said....if you didn't know to look for the display issues....would you even notice them? But after saying that......once you KNOW they are there....it changes the perception of the device for sure. The only good thing is the 2 year warranty.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I don't have a Pixel 2 XL of course. But as others have said....if you didn't know to look for the display issues....would you even notice them? But after saying that......once you KNOW they are there....it changes the perception of the device for sure. The only good thing is the 2 year warranty.

Right. And I generally agree with that sentiment. The problem is if the panel is displaying this now, what will it look like six months from now? Sure Google would replace but the point with warranties and insurance is that they're supposed to be there IF something happens. Now I have a guarantee that I'll need to use it.

Frustrating.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Burn in already.

Really not sure I want to bother with one of these now. Still loving my Note with zero issues and the burn in problem is very worrying.

Reactions: jamezr

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I have a Pixel XL that was just replaced under warranty for burn in. But, it was almost a year old. The good news is that Google will replace the 2XL under warranty. I know it is not convenient, but the 2 year warranty and my past experience with Google honoring their warranty gives me some piece for my inbound 2XL.

With that being said, hopefully the 8.1 updates help minimize the burn in.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I guess I have pretty low standards because I like the display so far. Yes, the blue tint is clearly noticable off angle, but it does the same thing on my Nexus 6P and there’s a similar effect when I do the same think on my iPhone 7 Plus (color change but instead of blue, it’s kind of pink). I don’t think I’d have given it a second thought if I hadn’t read about it online and if I’m honest, it doesn’t bother me.

As far as the colors go—they’re also fine. I genuinely dislike the over saturated look that’s been the trademark of many recent OLED panels (Samsung, original Pixel, even the 6P to a degree) so I don’t miss having it here. Brightness is comparable to my 7 Plus and the colors are fine for my taste. Also, there’s a ‘vivid colors’ option under the Display settings. Was that there for other Pixel 2 XL users originally or did Google just add it, becuase I thought I recall reading there was no way to adjust the colors and Google was going to me adding it later.

I’m not even going to check for burn in. I honestly don’t think it’s actually burn in but rather image retention. Should I accept it? Probably not but I would never have checked either, again without all this micro-examination. I’m just going ot use the phone over the next 2 weeks and see how I feel about it then.

Right now, my first impressions are, well, that I’m pretty impressed. Feels great in hand, is buttery smooth, like the design—though I’m still not a big fan of the curved edge glass, even to the much lesser degree it exists on the 2 XL vs. the Samsung phones.

I’ll report back later after I can put in some serious time with it.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I guess I have pretty low standards because I like the display so far. Yes, the blue tint is clearly noticable off angle, but it does the same thing on my Nexus 6P and there’s a similar effect when I do the same think on my iPhone 7 Plus (color change but instead of blue, it’s kind of pink). I don’t think I’d have given it a second thought if I hadn’t read about it online and if I’m honest, it doesn’t bother me.

As far as the colors go—they’re also fine. I genuinely dislike the over saturated look that’s been the trademark of many recent OLED panels (Samsung, original Pixel, even the 6P to a degree) so I don’t miss having it here. Brightness is comparable to my 7 Plus and the colors are fine for my taste.

I’m not even going to check for burn in. I honestly don’t think it’s actually burn in but rather image retention. Should I accept it? Probably not but I would never have checked either, again without all this micro-examination. I’m just going ot use the phone over the next 2 weeks and see how I feel about it then.

Right now, my first impressions are, well, that I’m pretty impressed. Feels great in hand, is buttery smooth, like the design—though I’m still not a big fan of the curved edge glass, even to the much lesser degree it exists on the 2 XL vs. the Samsung phones.

I’ll report back later after I can put in some serious time with it.

The problem is if it's burn in it will get worse over time with burn in on top of burn in. I'm not OCD about this stuff. Burn in this quickly is a problem.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The problem is if it's burn in it will get worse over time with burn in on top of burn in. I'm not OCD about this stuff. Burn in this quickly is a problem.

I hear ya...but are we sure it’s burn in and not image retention? Image retention supposedly can be managed with software/firmware changes, something Google has recently professed are coming. I’ve never heard of actual screen burn in this quickly, even on crappier displays years ago.

But you’re absolutely right that if it’s true burn in, that’s a huge problem. I’m going to revisit this issue near the end of my return window.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Right. And I generally agree with that sentiment. The problem is if the panel is displaying this now, what will it look like six months from now? Sure Google would replace but the point with warranties and insurance is that they're supposed to be there IF something happens. Now I have a guarantee that I'll need to use it.

Frustrating.
Did you try that video to see if it’s image retention?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I hear ya...but are we sure it’s burn in and not image retention? Image retention supposedly can be managed with software/firmware changes, something Google has recently professed are coming. I’ve never heard of actual screen burn in this quickly, even on crappier displays years ago
Also curious about this.

Because if you've been using the phone for at least an hour, you probably do have some level of retention. Did you check your phone for burn in immediately after using it? Try this -- download a white square. Open it in the photos app. Tap the photo to get the navigation bar to disappear. Now zoom in, and out. In, and out. What that should he doing is zooming the photo to full screen, then back out, turning the pixels previously occupied by the nav bar on (white) and off (black). Do this for about a minute. Now, go and check for burn in again. Is it any better?

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I hear ya...but are we sure it’s burn in and not image retention? Image retention supposedly can be managed with software/firmware changes, something Google has recently professed are coming. I’ve never heard of actual screen burn in this quickly, even on crappier displays years ago.

But you’re absolutely right that if it’s true burn in, that’s a huge problem. I’m going to revisit this issue near the end of my return window.

I don't know. I don't know how you tell the difference. And will their software update fix what's happened?
[doublepost=1509206170][/doublepost]
Did you try that video to see if it’s image retention?

No, what is that...?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
@widgeteer Added an edit to my previous post if you wanna check for burn in
[doublepost=1509206480][/doublepost]
No, what is that...?
All OLEDs will retain a "ghost" of an image displayed on the screen if it has been on the screen long enough. In this case, the nav bars. However, it will usually go away after a few minutes of a different image being displayed. I saw my iPhone 5 (not an OLED panel) do this once.

Burn in is when the image DOESN'T go away -- it's permanently there.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Why isn't there a native inversion, animated color change, or whatever for the navigation buttons now. Image retention and burn-in is nothing new for AMOLED, and something like that would help a little.

Or would it wear out the pixels faster?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My Pixel 2 is suddenly experiencing "fatal error" when using the camera. It freezes and closes out. It keeps coming up. Just snapping normal photos.

Um, da heck?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Does anyone on here play "Does Not Commute?"

If so, how does it work on your Pixel2 or Pixel 2 XL?

I can, repeatedly crash my phone with this game, not just crash to the launcher, I mean I get streaks across the screen, and the device powers down. I can only get it to power back on after pressing and holding the power button, like I would if I shut the device down.

This happens on some other apps too, but I can easily repeat it (almost on demand) with that game when it is at max settings.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I have a LG OLED TV, and it gets image retention very quickly. I mean within 1 second of viewing a high-contrast image it is retained. But it only lasts for about the same length of time the image was on the screen. So, if i view a high-contrast image for 30 seconds, the image is retained for about 30 seconds. It's only noticeable in app UIs though.

I highly doubt the XL 2 is getting permanent burn in this quickly. As Google said, image retention in OLED units is normal. If there's something unusual happening, they've extended the warranty to 2 years and you can get it replaced if there is an actual long-term problem.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yikes! My husband just checked and doesn’t have burn in yet and his Pixel has been in constant use. They clearly have good units and bad units out there. I’d return the one you have and try one more time.

Anybody who has a Note 8 they love, just stick with it another year until Google gets it together.

That 2 year warranty is sweet, and a good inducement to keep me with my new Pixel.

I’m really torn. I still have the Panda order active. My husband is letting me compare our phones now.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
My Pixel 2 is suddenly experiencing "fatal error" when using the camera. It freezes and closes out. It keeps coming up. Just snapping normal photos.

Um, da heck?
Try clearing the cache. Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Camera > Storage > Clear cache
[doublepost=1509213500][/doublepost]
Does anyone on here play "Does Not Commute?"

If so, how does it work on your Pixel2 or Pixel 2 XL?

I can, repeatedly crash my phone with this game, not just crash to the launcher, I mean I get streaks across the screen, and the device powers down. I can only get it to power back on after pressing and holding the power button, like I would if I shut the device down.

This happens on some other apps too, but I can easily repeat it (almost on demand) with that game when it is at max settings.
I can't chime in on the app crashing my phone as I haven't played it since I had my iPhone, but I wanted to say -- that's a really fun game. I never finished it. :( The mystery was never solved!
[doublepost=1509214102][/doublepost]
I’m really torn. I still have the Panda order active. My husband is letting me compare our phones now.
I understand where you're coming from. All the hoopla about the Pixel 2 XL screen has me considering cancelling my pre-order altogether! But I don't want to premature about it. I'm going to wait until I can have a device in-hand (like you currently do), since it'd be silly for me to cancel my preorder based on some reports on the internet. If my screen does turn out to be bad, I ponder whether I'll even try and get a replacement. I might just return the phone and hold out for the Pixel 3. It's not worth my time to deal with the constant exchanges and worrying about whether my device is going to crap out on me.

I'll just need to get this battery in my Nexus 6P replaced, however. It leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Try clearing the cache. Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Camera > Storage > Clear cache
I can't chime in on the app crashing my phone as I haven't played it since I had my iPhone, but I wanted to say -- that's a really fun game. I never finished it. :( The mystery was never solved!
I understand where you're coming from. All the hoopla about the Pixel 2 XL screen has me considering cancelling my pre-order altogether! But I don't want to premature about it. I'm going to wait until I can have a device in-hand (like you currently do), since it'd be silly for me to cancel my preorder based on some reports on the internet. If my screen does turn out to be bad, I ponder whether I'll even try and get a replacement. I might just return the phone and hold out for the Pixel 3. It's not worth my time to deal with the constant exchanges and worrying about whether my device is going to crap out on me.

I'll just need to get this battery in my Nexus 6P replaced, however. It leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least.
Its too bad there there is no other stock Android flagship with a bezelless design in this price range. I do like skinned Android but loved the stock Android feel on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7. My Nexus 7 in particular had a great screen which was one of the best in its time. I still use it from time to time and with its 324ppi its sharper than any of Apple's current tablets and it shows to my eyes. Google shouldnt have gone with LG on the Pixel 2 XL. They have shown they can have great displays with the Nexus

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I know we have different impressions of the display on the 6P so take this with a grain of salt but FWIW, I like the display on the 2 XL better.

I had the same reservations as you before my XL shipped but I’m glad I waited to get my hands on it. Going to enjoy giving it a thorough workout over the next 2 weeks. :D

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.