Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My Pixel 2 is suddenly experiencing "fatal error" when using the camera. It freezes and closes out. It keeps coming up. Just snapping normal photos.

Um, da heck?
My Pixel 2 froze last night when I was using the camera. I had to forcibly close it out and when I went back in it was working fine since then. I figured it was one of those things, happened on my iPhones once in a great while on one of the older iOS versions. We can keep a note of this and see if it becomes “a thing”. I did not get any error messages. Mine happened only the one time. I could not get the camera to respond.

Reactions: epicrayban

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
And here is what's happening.

Caption from my video on YouTube.

This is a video clip of my Google Pixel 2 which I personally feel has a hardware problem. While I am only showing this singular application (does not commute), this will happen within some other games, and video editing Applications.

Google Support states this is not a hardware problem, it is due to application stability. That's fine, but still unacceptable that an application can fully shut down the phone.

Other apps that can cause this (not as reliably though)
- Star Trek Timelines
- FilmoraGo
- 3D Bench Slingshot.

Phone is fully stock Android from Google, with all available updates installed.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Overall, I think it's fair to say it's been a rather unsuccessful launch for the new pixels. It's certainly lessened my enthusiasm for them. Probably better off keeping my Note and putting some money towards a new lens for my DSLR.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Pre-Orders For Google’s Pixel 2 Were Double The 2016 Figures
https://www.androidheadlines.com/20...les-pixel-2-were-double-the-2016-figures.html

It's really a shame that the Pixel 2 and 2 XL (emphasis on the latter) have had these production issues. As such a new brand (Pixel), it needs consistent home runs year after year to catch up with the big boys. But those numbers do seem promising. Imho, production issues like these guarantee a MUCH better phone the following year, since companies do not want to leave money on the table again. For example, batteries in Samsung phones now are probably some of the safest you can get with the newly implemented multi-step battery check that every device goes through (read: the Note 7 fiasco).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Try clearing the cache. Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Camera > Storage > Clear cache
[doublepost=1509213500][/doublepost]
I can't chime in on the app crashing my phone as I haven't played it since I had my iPhone, but I wanted to say -- that's a really fun game. I never finished it. :( The mystery was never solved!
[doublepost=1509214102][/doublepost]
I understand where you're coming from. All the hoopla about the Pixel 2 XL screen has me considering cancelling my pre-order altogether! But I don't want to premature about it. I'm going to wait until I can have a device in-hand (like you currently do), since it'd be silly for me to cancel my preorder based on some reports on the internet. If my screen does turn out to be bad, I ponder whether I'll even try and get a replacement. I might just return the phone and hold out for the Pixel 3. It's not worth my time to deal with the constant exchanges and worrying about whether my device is going to crap out on me.

I'll just need to get this battery in my Nexus 6P replaced, however. It leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least.
Thanks for the suggestion to clear the camera app cache. I hope that’s all it needs.

I’m just torn about whether or not to cancel my Panda because I really really really like this little Pixel so far! I compared speakers to the larger model and from what I can tell they’re both really good, but seem to be set on different equalizer presets. The smaller one really separates the high tones so that I can really make out the different wind instruments from the vocal track on songs from artists like Susan Boyle and Jackie Evancho. Both phones’ speakers compared well to my iPhone 7 Plus’s stereo.

My husband’s IPhone X is supposed to be here next week so I look forward to comparing that phone to these phones.

The larger Pixel 2 XL’s speakers did not do as good a job bringing out the sounds of the instrumental background, so the overall effect was a bit “muddier” but when the vocals and instruments started soaring in the choruses, the effect was less “tinny” than on the smaller Pixel 2’s speakers.

But the quality was so close. I’m torn over which I prefer. That’s a great problem to have!

In terms of the display, the blue shift on the larger phone is annoying especially since the smaller phone barely shows a color shift in comparison. And the smaller phone has a more pleasant warmer tone overall. But I can see a little bit more detail due to the much higher ppi on the larger phone. Most of the time this isn’t going to matter, but part of me still looks with curiosity at the Daydream Goggles. I can’t help it, I think VR is so cool. It’s a niche use, to be sure, and not something even I use often anymore. But it’s cool to have a phone that can be used for that when the bug bites me.

My husband thinks the smaller Pixel 2 display looks nicer overall. I haven’t yet noticed it crushing blacks, yet. I’m in between doing a lot of things this weekend so my opportunity to test and to post here is broken up into chunks of time.
9218612][/doublepost]
And here is what's happening.

Caption from my video on YouTube.

This is a video clip of my Google Pixel 2 which I personally feel has a hardware problem. While I am only showing this singular application (does not commute), this will happen within some other games, and video editing Applications.

Google Support states this is not a hardware problem, it is due to application stability. That's fine, but still unacceptable that an application can fully shut down the phone.

Other apps that can cause this (not as reliably though)
- Star Trek Timelines
- FilmoraGo
- 3D Bench Slingshot.

Phone is fully stock Android from Google, with all available updates installed.
Sorry, I know this post may merge with my last one and make a mega post. I’ll go and shorten the earlier post.

I’ll go fetch Star Trek Timelines and Does Not Commute and see if my Pixel 2 replicates your problem. Just give me a little time to report back because I’m going to read a few more posts and I have to be heading out for awhile.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sorry, I know this post may merge with my last one and make a mega post. I’ll go and shorten the earlier post.

I’ll go fetch Star Trek Timelines and Does Not Commute and see if my Pixel 2 replicates your problem. Just give me a little time to report back because I’m going to read a few more posts and I have to be heading out for awhile.

No rush, and I didn't mean to make it sound like homework! :eek:

Just was curious if anyone else had issues like that. I would say Star Trek Timelines causes it less frequently, and it is harder to duplicate. Does Not Commute crashes without fail on highest graphics settings, and intermittently on Medium.

As a whole, I am really pleased with this device, minus this issue. I have since fixed my earlier issue with Song ID not working, perhaps the reload of my device fixed it's local database. Not that it works, NEAT!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No rush, and I didn't mean to make it sound like homework! :eek:

Just was curious if anyone else had issues like that. I would say Star Trek Timelines causes it less frequently, and it is harder to duplicate. Does Not Commute crashes without fail on highest graphics settings, and intermittently on Medium.

As a whole, I am really pleased with this device, minus this issue. I have since fixed my earlier issue with Song ID not working, perhaps the reload of my device fixed it's local database. Not that it works, NEAT!
Lol, no biggie. I’m really curious, myself. If the phone is going to be doing this and Google insists that it’s just one of those things, I want to know before my 14 days are up. Or 15 days...whatever.
[doublepost=1509223624][/doublepost]I just spent a few minutes on Star Trek Timelines and my phone started getting super searing hot. I was in the process of deciding what to do with my crew and understand more about the game mechanics while undertaking my first real mission. I closed out the game to let the phone cool down. Is this normal? My husband has played this game on iPhones but never mentioned overheating. His golf game that he plays all the time on his iPhone also once overheated his Pixel 2XL. I’m going to test Does Not Commute a little later.

Quick update—Not going to check DNC. It’s the app. The reviews indicate other people are having the same problem on other devices like Note 8.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Try clearing the cache. Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Camera > Storage > Clear cache.

Thanks for that. I tried that and it seems okay now. But alarming nonetheless. Especially since it's getting close to my 14 day period. I want to make sure this isn't going to be a problem. One of the biggest promises I've made about the Pixel 2 is the superior camera experience.
[doublepost=1509231864][/doublepost]
My Pixel 2 froze last night when I was using the camera. I had to forcibly close it out and when I went back in it was working fine since then. I figured it was one of those things, happened on my iPhones once in a great while on one of the older iOS versions. We can keep a note of this and see if it becomes “a thing”. I did not get any error messages. Mine happened only the one time. I could not get the camera to respond.

Sorry to hear. Mine always gave me the error message before crashing. At some points, it wouldn't even launch the camera without the error message. Force closing did not resolve the issue.

Both our scenarios are alarming. Especially since I've been touting that the camera and software experiences are second to none. This is supposed to be THE stable and reliable Android flagship.

When my s8 is taking pics like a champ and the family using the Pixel 2 is having trouble with just even launching the camera without getting a "fatal error" warning and then force closing, it doesn't feel good.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for that. I tried that and it seems okay now. But alarming nonetheless. Especially since it's getting close to my 14 day period. I want to make sure this isn't going to be a problem. One of the biggest promises I've made about the Pixel 2 is the superior camera experience.
[doublepost=1509231864][/doublepost]

Sorry to hear. Mine always gave me the error message before crashing. At some points, it wouldn't even launch the camera without the error message. Force closing did not resolve the issue.

Both our scenarios are alarming. Especially since I've been touting that the camera and software experiences are second to none. This is supposed to be THE stable and reliable Android flagship.

When my s8 is taking pics like a champ and the family using the Pixel 2 is having trouble with just even launching the camera without getting a "fatal error" warning and then force closing, it doesn't feel good.
Honestly I’m a little worried about the super searing hotness myself. My husband used to play the iOS version of this game with no issues. He’s going to try it on his S8+ and 2XL later and see if he replicates the problem. I understand some apps don’t behave well on Android. And even Pokémon Go heated up my 7 Plus pretty good.

But the way it escalated so fast all of a sudden when there was nothing going on graphics wise on the display and how hot it got, enough to hurt my hands and cause me to hurriedly shut it down and find a cool countertop to put it on...ugh, I just don’t know what to make of that kind of thing. I’ve seen Android phones do that, before. Both of my Note 7s and my HTC 10 sometimes did that on its native camera app. But I thought we left that behind with the Snapdragon 820 and 821, because for all of its faults, my S8+ has yet to run hot. The cooling system Samsung designed for it really works, I guess. I thought Snapdragon 835 was just a cool beast. I used it this past summer in sweltering heat and direct sunlight that had my iPhone running pretty hot. And it kept its cool.

I don’t mind having to avoid a few badly made apps here and there. But I’ll have to see exactly how much I have to miss out on to have a phone that won’t double as a flat iron. :confused:

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Honestly I’m a little worried about the super searing hotness myself. My husband used to play the iOS version of this game with no issues. He’s going to try it on his S8+ and 2XL later and see if he replicates the problem. I understand some apps don’t behave well on Android. And even Pokémon Go heated up my 7 Plus pretty good.

But the way it escalated so fast all of a sudden when there was nothing going on graphics wise on the display and how hot it got, enough to hurt my hands and cause me to hurriedly shut it down and find a cool countertop to put it on...ugh, I just don’t know what to make of that kind of thing. I’ve seen Android phones do that, before. Both of my Note 7s and my HTC 10 sometimes did that on its native camera app. But I thought we left that behind with the Snapdragon 820 and 821, because for all of its faults, my S8+ has yet to run hot. The cooling system Samsung designed for it really works, I guess. I thought Snapdragon 835 was just a cool beast. I used it this past summer in sweltering heat and direct sunlight that had my iPhone running pretty hot. And it kept its cool.

I don’t mind having to avoid a few badly made apps here and there. But I’ll have to see exactly how much I have to miss out on to have a phone that won’t double as a flat iron. :confused:

My s8 never gets hot either.

The sad thing is, I had the Pixel 1 last year, and that device had issues with random rebooting. Even after two RMA devices.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My s8 never gets hot either.

The sad thing is, I had the Pixel 1 last year, and that device had issues with random rebooting. Even after two RMA devices.
My husband and I just got back from a nice kid-free dinner. :) We took some pictures with the Samsungs, the Pixels and the IPhones. The Pixel handled lighting beautifully but the problem was it got colors so wrong. Even the Samsungs captured the delicate gold color of the ceiling and wood tones of the booths pretty well. The IPhone was the most accurate with colors. The Pixels just did not capture the colors very well. The pictures were gorgeous but it really messes up brown, gold and yellow. Not a good thing when your family consists of brunettes and blondes. My hair looks weird with the Pixels and so does my skin. The Pixels do handle noise pretty well more times than not. The thing is, image quality was so close among the three brands. Color was where they all differed with iPhones coming in first, Samsung second and Pixels third. That’s not the results you want with a brand new flagship phone compared to one a year old, and one half a year old phone, and especially not at premium prices. I know there’s going to be that “hidden” chip they will be activating. That will likely be cool and if it is, we can revisit the whole thing then.

My husband has the additional challenge of not being able to natively designate VIP email senders. He needs this feature for business. I need this to differentiate my school contacts from random mail—(though because I do run an iPhone as my main phone this is not the deal breaker for me it is for him). There is an app to do this but it runs down battery.

I think someday Pixels will be fine phones for our retirement income years. Right now we will need iPhones and Samsungs.

We talked it over, I won’t go into everything since this post is already long, but we are going to do a little more testing to satisfy our curiosity and then pack these up and return them. I’m going back to my 7 Plus and S8+ combo. Hubby will give the iPhone X a spin.

I’m a little sad, because this Pixel 2 is so adorable.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
My husband and I just got back from a nice kid-free dinner. :) We took some pictures with the Samsungs, the Pixels and the IPhones. The Pixel handled lighting beautifully but the problem was it got colors so wrong. Even the Samsungs captured the delicate gold color of the ceiling and wood tones of the booths pretty well. The IPhone was the most accurate with colors. The Pixels just did not capture the colors very well. The pictures were gorgeous but it really messes up brown, gold and yellow. Not a good thing when your family consists of brunettes and blondes. My hair looks weird with the Pixels and so does my skin. The Pixels do handle noise pretty well more times than not. The thing is, image quality was so close among the three brands. Color was where they all differed with iPhones coming in first, Samsung second and Pixels third. That’s not the results you want with a brand new flagship phone compared to one a year old, and one half a year old phone, and especially not at premium prices. I know there’s going to be that “hidden” chip they will be activating. That will likely be cool and if it is, we can revisit the whole thing then.

My husband has the additional challenge of not being able to natively designate VIP email senders. He needs this feature for business. I need this to differentiate my school contacts from random mail—(though because I do run an iPhone as my main phone this is not the deal breaker for me it is for him). There is an app to do this but it runs down battery.

I think someday Pixels will be fine phones for our retirement income years. Right now we will need iPhones and Samsungs.

We talked it over, I won’t go into everything since this post is already long, but we are going to do a little more testing to satisfy our curiosity and then pack these up and return them. I’m going back to my 7 Plus and S8+ combo. Hubby will give the iPhone X a spin.

I’m a little sad, because this Pixel 2 is so adorable.

Interesting comments about the camera on the pixel 2 after all the great reviews it has received for that very feature. How are you comparing the shots you have taken on the 3 phones? I would compare them on the same screen. It could be the pixel screen showing the colours differently, just a thought :)

I own the S8 plus and love it but I find it overexposes shots, this is great in low light situations but in decent light they look washed out. I think the iPhone takes some of the best shots in good lighting however I cant stand iOS so i'm limited to Android devices. Good thing I have a Nikon D7200 DSLR to pick up the slack.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Here's a couple of crispy new vids on the Pixel 2 and 2 XL:

Dave2D on the screen:

And Jonathan Morrison with his slick and hilarious review:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

I don’t mind having to avoid a few badly made apps here and there. But I’ll have to see exactly how much I have to miss out on to have a phone that won’t double as a flat iron.

It’s possible those apps aren’t optimised for Android Oreo and a bug in the code is causing it to use more CPU cycles than usual on Oreo. After all apart from Sony, and Google no one has pushed Oreo out to their devices yet so devs have yet to optimise for Oreo.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I understand that burn in is the worse of the two but image retention is still pretty bad.
Most oleds do it though...
I work with OLED screens of all types all the time and they all exhibit image retention.

Look, if you don't want the phone, fine, but don't worry about burn in until your phone shows the buttons on videos or web pages. It is highly unlikely you have burn in issues a day after unboxing the phone. In fact, I question whether or not that is even possible based on the pure phone setup and physics.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Nice review from Mr. Mobile with the Pixel 2 XL.

I did check it out again at Best Buy because it looks like I'm going to cancel my pre-order for the iPhone X. I wanted to change buy it outright to installments and couldn't get approved for a BB credit line. Ah well, better wait in 2019-2020.

Before I left, just had to check the P2XL again in black. I think I'm starting to prefer the panda one again. But I love how instant the animation is. I don't like in my SE the longer animation when unlocking it with my fingerprint.

Doesn't look like Fisher is bothered by the display. LG really does have crappy ones the last two years. I kept nodding my head when I saw the image retention. Forced to use plain black wallpaper and transparent icons pack called Lines.

I still like the P2XL. Won't upgrade this year and just save for a trip to Japan next year.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting comments about the camera on the pixel 2 after all the great reviews it has received for that very feature. How are you comparing the shots you have taken on the 3 phones? I would compare them on the same screen. It could be the pixel screen showing the colours differently, just a thought :)

I own the S8 plus and love it but I find it overexposes shots, this is great in low light situations but in decent light they look washed out. I think the iPhone takes some of the best shots in good lighting however I cant stand iOS so i'm limited to Android devices. Good thing I have a Nikon D7200 DSLR to pick up the slack.
I look at all the pictures on the same display by uploading everything to my Google Photos account.

Yes, my Samsung overexposes a lot of indoor photos, too.

The Pixels do handle highlights beautifully. The Pixels do seem to take better photos overall except for this crazy thing that happens with some colors

I’m not sure I’m completely done with Pixels. I think my husband is, but I may revisit them later in 2018. I will return the one I have and just wait and see what happens with the handling of correctable defects and the new image chip. I might have a better idea later in 2018 about which model I really want. My husband isn’t enamored with pure Android. He didn’t like finding out he could only get rid of a whole page of icons by deleting each icon one by one. On his Samsung he just deletes the whole page. I don’t care but he does.

My husband has checked and double checked and has not found any sign of image retention or burn in. So I think some panels really are bad, but the possibility exists to get one that at the very least won’t have this problem.

His display has really good detail. We compared a news article with photos on it between the S8+ and the 2XL and the 2XL showed some details in the photos that were a bit blurry or artifacted in the S8+ display.

But the Pixel 2XL display failed to display subtle lighting and shading in a photo of a decorated cake. It was the same picture and the Samsung showed highlights and subtle colors. I’d decorated the cake myself so I knew what it was supposed to look like. The Pixel’s display seemed to reduce the colors shown and muddled up the highlights. I didn’t look at it on my Pixel 2 because I had left it on the charger.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I look at all the pictures on the same display by uploading everything to my Google Photos account.

Yes, my Samsung overexposes a lot of indoor photos, too.

The Pixels do handle highlights beautifully. The Pixels do seem to take better photos overall except for this crazy thing that happens with some colors

I’m not sure I’m completely done with Pixels. I think my husband is, but I may revisit them later in 2018. I will return the one I have and just wait and see what happens with the handling of correctable defects and the new image chip. I might have a better idea later in 2018 about which model I really want. My husband isn’t enamored with pure Android. He didn’t like finding out he could only get rid of a whole page of icons by deleting each icon one by one. On his Samsung he just deletes the whole page. I don’t care but he does.

My husband has checked and double checked and has not found any sign of image retention or burn in. So I think some panels really are bad, but the possibility exists to get one that at the very least won’t have this problem.

His display has really good detail. We compared a news article with photos on it between the S8+ and the 2XL and the 2XL showed some details in the photos that were a bit blurry or artifacted in the S8+ display.

But the Pixel 2XL display failed to display subtle lighting and shading in a photo of a decorated cake. It was the same picture and the Samsung showed highlights and subtle colors. I’d decorated the cake myself so I knew what it was supposed to look like. The Pixel’s display seemed to reduce the colors shown and muddled up the highlights. I didn’t look at it on my Pixel 2 because I had left it on the charger.

If you are viewing the photos on the same screen then what you are saying about the colours on the pixel is obviously an issue which is disappointing. I really wanted to get back to pure Android with the Pixel 2 XL for a change but the screen issues are unacceptable imo.

I think Samsung have really started to get Android experience "touchwiz" to a very good level performance wise, its always been feature packed but was not so smooth. I actually prefer it over Vanilla Android these days, i've just become accustomed to those extra features and i'm more then happy to give up a fraction of performance to keep them. Ill probably keep my S8+ till the S9 is released and see what that has to offer.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So the most recent Android Central podcast delves into really depth about the XL 2 screen issues.

It's worth a listen. I don't think Google can do much and LG Display seem to have really screwed up.

But for "normal" people, the phone might just be OK anyway.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Most oleds do it though...
I work with OLED screens of all types all the time and they all exhibit image retention.

Look, if you don't want the phone, fine, but don't worry about burn in until your phone shows the buttons on videos or web pages. It is highly unlikely you have burn in issues a day after unboxing the phone. In fact, I question whether or not that is even possible based on the pure phone setup and physics.

Everything I've read suggests you're correct. I think I like the phone too much to give it up so I'm just gonna rely on the warranty and not worry about it anymore.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
So the most recent Android Central podcast delves into really depth about the XL 2 screen issues.

It's worth a listen. I don't think Google can do much and LG Display seem to have really screwed up.

Any other tech podcast suggestions? :)

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Guys do u have side by side comparison of pixel 1 screen vs pixel 2 screen? Non XL...
Which one is better?

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Guys do u have side by side comparison of pixel 1 screen vs pixel 2 screen? Non XL...
Which one is better?
I briefly played with the OG Pixel and 2 at my Verizon store when I went. The OG Pixel had a warmer display. Size was almost identical. Otherwise they were pretty similar.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

The only downside is that normal people probably aren’t going to buy Pixels anyway. They’re going to buy whatever’s in the store and they get pushed to.

I doubt even Verizon is going to push Pixels.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The only downside is that normal people probably aren’t going to buy Pixels anyway. They’re going to buy whatever’s in the store and they get pushed to.

I doubt even Verizon is going to push Pixels.

Wha? Verizon has been pushing the Pixel line like crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.