Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
FWIW, Samsung Internet Beta (in the the play store) lets you sync Chrome bookmarks on non-Samsung devices. It's just as fast (maybe faster?) and as good as the regular Samsung Internet. You can also download the companion app on your Chrome browser on pc/mac to start the sync.

Thanks, I’ll check it out. Sounds like this would solve my biggest issue. :D

Reactions: co.ag.2005

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm considering returning my Pixel 2 and exchanging to go back to an S8 just because of the camera. (Well, I also miss the taller screen, but camera is very disappointing.) Daytime photos are great, but the lowlight photos are too noisy and orange tinted. Here are some example pics. They were taken a few months apart, but around same time of day. You can see how the Pixel 2 image is very orange. The S8 picture is the way the scene actually looked in person.

https://imgur.com/a/gKkVp

Pixel 2
zv2aa6Z.jpg

S8
IQBgVwB.jpg

Wow, the s8 pic looks really nice!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm considering returning my Pixel 2 and exchanging to go back to an S8 just because of the camera. (Well, I also miss the taller screen, but camera is very disappointing.) Daytime photos are great, but the lowlight photos are too noisy and orange tinted. Here are some example pics. They were taken a few months apart, but around same time of day. You can see how the Pixel 2 image is very orange. The S8 picture is the way the scene actually looked in person.

https://imgur.com/a/gKkVp

Pixel 2
zv2aa6Z.jpg

S8
IQBgVwB.jpg
I have read up on the Pixel 2 on some other forums too.....They don't report the yellow tint like your Pixel has.
I wonder if you have a bad unit?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...hots-show-us-your-pictures-9.html#post6043868

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
We went on a nice day trip over the weekend, and when the Pixel 2 camera wasn't crashing with "fatal error" issues, the pics mostly came out superb, but indeed there were a few that felt overprocessed. To the point where the S8 looked like it had more natural colors! Go figure.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hey folks. Since hubby and I are definitely going to be packing the Pixels back to return I’m going to exit this thread now. I don’t think I’ll have anything further constructive to contribute and I don’t want to add to the white noise, so to speak, that might cloud anybody else’s wish or enjoyment to evaluate these phones on their own terms.

I’ve taken on a new volunteer position at a school and am going to see other demands on my time so I’m going to be a bit scarce. I don’t have my eye on anything pertinent to this forum and won’t for awhile so I’m taking a break. I’ll be dropping by to read some of the hoopla over the new iPhone X and maybe post anything about it that I see interesting in Grumpydad’s experiences with it when I get a few minutes to unwind. But that’s about it.

For the most part though I’ll be “Kinda Not Here”. :p I took my avatar down to indicate I’m going into hibernation.

Take care y’all and have a fun time going into the holiday season.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Hey folks. Since hubby and I are definitely going to be packing the Pixels back to return I’m going to exit this thread now. I don’t think I’ll have anything further constructive to contribute and I don’t want to add to the white noise, so to speak, that might cloud anybody else’s wish or enjoyment to evaluate these phones on their own terms.

I’ve taken on a new volunteer position at a school and am going to see other demands on my time so I’m going to be a bit scarce. I don’t have my eye on anything pertinent to this forum and won’t for awhile so I’m taking a break. I’ll be dropping by to read some of the hoopla over the new iPhone X and maybe post anything about it that I see interesting in Grumpydad’s experiences with it when I get a few minutes to unwind. But that’s about it.

For the most part though I’ll be “Kinda Not Here”. :p I took my avatar down to indicate I’m going into hibernation.

First @MRU and now you!! NO! :p

I'm sorry that you and your husband had a subpar experience with your Pixels. I hope you guys love the iPhone X!

I wish you the very best as we close out the year. Best of luck to you in your new position at the school. :) God bless.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Well besides the Game crashing my phone, I couldn’t be happier with my purchase so far. I have resolved the MusicID not working and a couple other odd software issues I was having by restoring the phone, and bringing back apps I wanted, as opposed to using a partial profile form my 6P.

Camera works great, been getting some good results from it, and can’t wait to see what improvements the secondary Image processing system can do.

There are caveats in my liking the camera though

1. Portrait mode just looks fake to me, I see the edges in most shots, where I can’t in real bokeh. The camera actually has decent depth of field without the extra gimmicks turned on. Could get better with the new image processor though.
  2. I went into the advanced settings, and enabled the ability to turn off HDR+ . With it off, images look MUCH less over processed in my eye, and honestly, I like my low light pictures better without it on too.

Just like any camera, part of it is looking at shots, and a bit of trial and error. Still as a camera system, I prefer the iPhone’s approach, but, with Android I can change my Default camera app, which is a plus too.

i-NZLgg9j-X3.jpg

Note how the two photos below are cropped in a bit more, Portrait mode crops out a fair amount of the image, and turns on a somewhat aggressive image stabilization profile as well. The stabilize effect is so pronounced that it feels like you are in some type of Star Trek temporal distortion. :eek:

i-sDdNzzk-X3.jpg

i-NsSbnwq-X3.jpg

Note how the algorithm can’t properly address the edge of the shot, where the flash hot shoe ends, and the background begins. I see this issue in quite a few photos, on nearly every phone that enacts some type of Portrait mode. But I am giving Google the benefit of the doubt with this feature, and hope it gets more smoothed out as software improves, and new hardware is activated. Overall though, if I want a good Bokeh effect, I just use my 50mm Art lens pictured in this shot, but on my full frame.

E4759371-05AA-4AE3-8FDB-E85B169939C5.jpeg

For Comparison,

This shot was taken with a Canon 7D (MK1) with my 50mm f1.4 Sigma Art lens.

i-CvVQ5mf-X3.jpg

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

All the best. Don't be a stranger.

Stay grumpy! :)

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I have read up on the Pixel 2 on some other forums too.....They don't report the yellow tint like your Pixel has.
I wonder if you have a bad unit?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...hots-show-us-your-pictures-9.html#post6043868

It's the same issue @GrumpyMom has, so I don't think I'm the only one. It's a software issue because if I manually change white balance it looks correct. Regardless, I'm not happy with the noise, and I see that in others photos as well in low light/night scenes.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Well besides the Game crashing my phone, I couldn’t be happier with my purchase so far. I have resolved the MusicID not working and a couple other odd software issues I was having by restoring the phone, and bringing back apps I wanted, as opposed to using a partial profile form my 6P.

Camera works great, been getting some good results from it, and can’t wait to see what improvements the secondary Image processing system can do.

There are caveats in my liking the camera though

1. Portrait mode just looks fake to me, I see the edges in most shots, where I can’t in real bokeh. The camera actually has decent depth of field without the extra gimmicks turned on. Could get better with the new image processor though.
  2. I went into the advanced settings, and enabled the ability to turn off HDR+ . With it off, images look MUCH less over processed in my eye, and honestly, I like my low light pictures better without it on too.

Just like any camera, part of it is looking at shots, and a bit of trial and error. Still as a camera system, I prefer the iPhone’s approach, but, with Android I can change my Default camera app, which is a plus too.

i-NZLgg9j-X3.jpg

Note how the two photos below are cropped in a bit more, Portrait mode crops out a fair amount of the image, and turns on a somewhat aggressive image stabilization profile as well. The stabilize effect is so pronounced that it feels like you are in some type of Star Trek temporal distortion. :eek:

i-sDdNzzk-X3.jpg

i-NsSbnwq-X3.jpg

Note how the algorithm can’t properly address the edge of the shot, where the flash hot shoe ends, and the background begins. I see this issue in quite a few photos, on nearly every phone that enacts some type of Portrait mode. But I am giving Google the benefit of the doubt with this feature, and hope it gets more smoothed out as software improves, and new hardware is activated. Overall though, if I want a good Bokeh effect, I just use my 50mm Art lens pictured in this shot, but on my full frame.

View attachment 729172
You have me drooling over that 7D, bruh. ;)

So portrait mode crops the image, huh? I get that it's emulating that 50mm portrait look, but since it's essentially just a digital zoom (crop), I wonder if you're getting either a sub-12MP shot, or a much noisier 12MP shot.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's the same issue @GrumpyMom has, so I don't think I'm the only one. It's a software issue because if I manually change white balance it looks correct. Regardless, I'm not happy with the noise, and I see that in others photos as well in low light/night scenes.

But not everyone has had your experince either.....

realworld buyers with both phones...

From AC Pixel 2 forum

Note 8
272338d1509064050-google-pixel-2-camera-shots-show-us-your-pictures-4214.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
272339d1509064045t-google-pixel-2-camera-shots-show-us-your-pictures-acc-1-doc-3377.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just curiously perusing the Google store, and it seems like Pixel 2 XL in black 128GB can ship today. Stock must have gotten better...

The truth is, I'm checking on the Google Home Max. Can't wait to learn/read more about reviews for that.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Just curiously perusing the Google store, and it seems like Pixel 2 XL in black 128GB can ship today. Stock must have gotten better...

The truth is, I'm checking on the Google Home Max. Can't wait to learn/read more about reviews for that.

Save for the first few days of launch, maybe the first week, the black 128 XL has been in stock both in the Google store and Verizon. I don't know if they produced way more of them or Panda is just that popular but whatever the case it appears lack of availability won't be an issue this year for the Pixel. We'll see what it looks like as the holidays roll in and both Google and VZW throw up more marketing.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
You have me drooling over that 7D, bruh. ;)

So portrait mode crops the image, huh? I get that it's emulating that 50mm portrait look, but since it's essentially just a digital zoom (crop), I wonder if you're getting either a sub-12MP shot, or a much noisier 12MP shot.

Thanks, yes I like the 7D MK1, also have the MK2 version in my fleet of cameras. With the Sigma 50mm 1.4, it kills any smartphone Bokeh effect ;) .

i-CvVQ5mf-X3.jpg

I am not sure if the cropping is impacting the photo quality, other than the interesting artifacts within the portrait shots. It looks like it is using a smaller portion of the digital sensor, to enhance the digital stabilization function.

From AC Pixel 2 forum

Note 8

Pixel 2 XL

As in my post earlier, I think the Pixel is doing fine in low light. comparatively (in that same post earlier) it did better than my iPhone 7.

i-xFL3h7s-X3.jpg

i-DQdCGkk-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

From AC Pixel 2 forum

Note 8
272338d1509064050-google-pixel-2-camera-shots-show-us-your-pictures-4214.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
272339d1509064045t-google-pixel-2-camera-shots-show-us-your-pictures-acc-1-doc-3377.jpg

I'm not sure what the issue is -- hardware or software. I only know that it is consistent with my device. I haven't yet been able to achieve anything that looks good in low light, and it's very disappointing.

I've decided to go back to an S8 though because there are other things that I like better about S8. The size of screen; pinch to zoom; wireless charging; GearVR.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm not sure what the issue is -- hardware or software. I only know that it is consistent with my device. I haven't yet been able to achieve anything that looks good in low light, and it's very disappointing.

I've decided to go back to an S8 though because there are other things that I like better about S8. The size of screen; pinch to zoom; wireless charging; GearVR.
Can't go wrong with the S8 thats for sure :)

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Don't go @GrumpyMom !!
But if you must, best of luck to you :) bummer the pixi didn't work out, but I welcome your thoughts on them seeing as I have one :)

If you go the iPhone x route, believe it or not I'm curious on the device!

Reactions: deany

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The Pixel 2 was CLEARLY thrown together.

At those prices, you'd think wireless charging and 256GB capacity would be there.

Now this XL 2 fiasco with the screens. I'm sorry, but that's too much money for those kinds of issues.

The phones don't even look premium in the slightest.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

At those prices, you'd think wireless charging and 256GB capacity would be there.

Now this XL 2 fiasco with the screens. I'm sorry, but that's too much money for those kinds of issues.

Not sure on "thrown together" but definitely would benefit from at least a 100$ price cut across the board...

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

That's a strongly worded post. Have you even held the device?

I do agree about the screen issues, however. If my unit has screen issues, I'll probably just get a full refund and wait another year. Not trying to play the screen lottery personally.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Nothing about this device feels thrown together. The display on the big one is a disappointment, but it absolutely kills on battery life, services, access to AI. Everything feels deliberate.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nothing about this device feels thrown together. The display on the big one is a disappointment, but it absolutely kills on battery life, services, access to AI. Everything feels deliberate.

This^. It feels quite premium in the hand to me, as much as anything I’ve held maybe save for the Essential. I quite like design and build.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Over the years I have occasionally stuck my foot in android waters, OSX and iOS are my daily drivers but I wanted to check out the Pixel 2 (non-xl) - android has come a long way, stock android with no carrier/manufacturer fluff is impressive. There are still some odd quirks but overall I am enjoying this little fella.

I'm not sure I am going to jump ship but definitely a nice phone.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Your posts are certainly not white noise :). I enjoy reading your views be it positive or critical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.