Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This picture of Apple's notch closeup shows just how silly it is to have extended the screen up into the ear area. Its a lame attempt to count the screen as being bigger when most of that area is not usable. And the "Its all screen" is just a big "NOT".
Agreed. They should have just flattened it out without the "horns". The design looks great on other devices.

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
the screen to body ratio on it is actually LOWER than the Galaxy devices. Crazy, right?

I thought the S8 and Note 8 screen to body ratios were better than the X?

Screen to body ratio

Apple iPhone X 81.49%

LG V30 83.24%

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 82.63%

Note 8: 83.2%

S8: 83.6%

S8 Plus: 84.0%

Just looked it up. Not sure how accurate these are.

Reactions: v0lume4 and jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay, guys. The iPhone X has enormous bezels for a phone that advertises "edge to edge display"
[doublepost=1509472016][/doublepost]

Screen to body ratio

Apple iPhone X 81.49%

LG V30 83.24%

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 82.63%

They are a lot better. The screen is a lower percentage on the iPhone X than all those devices.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

Screen to body ratio

Apple iPhone X 81.49%

LG V30 83.24%

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 82.63%

Indeed! That's what I said. Sentence structure was a bit lacking I suppose -- I apologize for any confusion. :p

edit -- I totally see how that was confusing now that I reread my original post. I meant to say that the screen to body ratio was worse. I used the word "lower," meaning lower percentage. But it totally looks like "lower" meant LESS bezels. Woops!

Reactions: epicrayban

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Agreed. They should have just flattened it out without the "horns". The design looks great on other devices.

It's a marketing and Jony Ive decision. They wanted the phone to look distinct from the front vs other bezel less phones. Ive has been poison to that device ever since he was given free reign with software in addition to design.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's a marketing and Jony Ive decision. They wanted the phone to look distinct from the front vs other bezel less phones. Ive has been poison to that device ever since he was given free reign with software in addition to design.
Apple's design has suffered a bit since he has taken over I must admit

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The iPhone cares more about being iconic than practical. I said from very early on, love or hate the notch, it makes the iPhone instantly recognizable. That's the goal.

Anyway, back to Pixel 2 talk...

Reactions: timeconsumer

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Flossy's review is up. The 2XL is a "major go" and the "smoothest Android experience"
however even though its a "heavy hitter" its still second place to the Note 8....and he hates the 2XL's price with a passion.
No great surprises here as Floss loves his Note 8 with the S pen.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Verge downgraded the pixel xl 2 score, they cited the display as a reason.

0e80ae13e346633f7277c7bbc3663f45.jpg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Flossy's review is up. The 2XL is a "major go" and the "smoothest Android experience"
however even though its a "heavy hitter" its still second place to the Note 8....and he hates the 2XL's price with a passion.
I love his reviews.......he just tells it like it is....no sugar coating....
he buys his own phones.....nothing is given free to him.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Saw someone point this out, and now I absolutely have to share it too. If you end up not watching the entire video, at least skip to 13:28. Hahaha. :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Saw someone point this out, and now I absolutely have to share it too. If you end up not watching the entire video, at least skip to 13:28. Hahaha. :D
OMG...how did I miss that the first time through? That is hilarious and so so true....

Reactions: 5105973

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Now playing is not working on my 2XL. Any ideas?
Have you tried Now Playing with a top 10 track? The local database is very limited, only approx 10K tracks of GPM most popular. They should really have made this more clear in the Keynote as they gave impression, from memory, that it a Shazam beater.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
Have you tried Now Playing with a top 10 track? The local database is very limited, only approx 10K tracks of GPM most popular. They should really have made this more clear in the Keynote as they gave impression, from memory, that it a Shazam beater.
I have. Nothing! And yes it's enabled lol

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
@FFR best not look at the verge's iPhone X review. One thing they call out is its large side bezels.
When I watched the MKBHD unboxing video that was one of the first things I noticed. Not to say the iPhone X isn't a nice looking device, it just made those side bezels more noticeable to me.
[doublepost=1509568640][/doublepost]Getting back to the Pixel 2 / 2 XL discussion, I've had my Pixel 2 about a week now. I'm still enjoying the device and I haven't had any issues with it at all. It has officially moved into my main device and I no longer carry both my Pixel 2 and iPhone 7. Android Oreo added little things to the OS that basically polished the experience.

To give examples: you can now export voicemails from the dialer. Not sure when this changed, but it was a big feature request that I wanted from when I used the Pixel 1. And another is the new icon level notifications when you long press on an app, you can interact with the notification there as well.

With Google updating the warranty to 2 years on all Pixel 2 devices regardless of where it was purchased as well as 3 years OS and security updates, I think this phone is the best phone for me as far as what I deem important to me. I'm incredibly happy with my purchase and hope this will be the device I can keep for at least a year! Now to find a good replacement for the Apple Watch. I really just use my Apple Watch for accountability with my workouts, so I'm looking into what Fitbit and Garmin have.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have until November 14 to return my 2 XL but I'm already fairly certain my experiment using Android again will come to an end at that time. And it has little, if anything to due with the hardware itself. The design and feel are great, I have no issues with the display, and Android 8.0 flies on it. I've just come to realize that my preferred workflow on a smartphone fits much better on an iPhone using iOS.

I won't belabor the thread with my personal preferences concerning the two OS's but rather at least reaffirm if anyone is considering switching to the Pixel 2 XL, it's absolutely worth considering and would be at the top of my short list if I had to use an Android handset.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
When I watched the MKBHD unboxing video that was one of the first things I noticed. Not to say the iPhone X isn't a nice looking device, it just made those side bezels more noticeable to me.
[doublepost=1509568640][/doublepost]Getting back to the Pixel 2 / 2 XL discussion, I've had my Pixel 2 about a week now. I'm still enjoying the device and I haven't had any issues with it at all. It has officially moved into my main device and I no longer carry both my Pixel 2 and iPhone 7. Android Oreo added little things to the OS that basically polished the experience.

To give examples: you can now export voicemails from the dialer. Not sure when this changed, but it was a big feature request that I wanted from when I used the Pixel 1. And another is the new icon level notifications when you long press on an app, you can interact with the notification there as well.

With Google updating the warranty to 2 years on all Pixel 2 devices regardless of where it was purchased as well as 3 years OS and security updates, I think this phone is the best phone for me as far as what I deem important to me. I'm incredibly happy with my purchase and hope this will be the device I can keep for at least a year! Now to find a good replacement for the Apple Watch. I really just use my Apple Watch for accountability with my workouts, so I'm looking into what Fitbit and Garmin have.
I am in the same boat. I intend to stick with Pixel 2 XL and if the 3 XL is compelling, I'll move to it. In fact, I'll probably move my wife over to the Pixel when it is time to upgrade her device. Android is just better for me in so many ways.

I'll watch the iPhone at a distance for a while, but I'm still turned off by how locked down and unintelligent the OS is.

Reactions: deany

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hi all. I did great my first day at the school despite getting hit with nerves and insomnia last night. Yesterday afternoon I took my 7 Plus and Pixel 2 out to my backyard and tested the cameras more. I’m pretty sure there is something not quite right with the camera so it’s still going back. There are problems with the video that show up in daylight, too, that I’ve never seen in online samples or my other cameras.

It’s sudden pixelization and breaking up of the image when the camera moves across a scene where this a need for auto exposure adjustment to take place. It just completely falls apart for moments and turns patches of a scene into a “mosaic”. I can’t bear to have family video ruined that way. I will notice my iPhone camera struggle on the same scenes but the effect is far less dramatic. Just a slight dimming and brightening as the image stabilizes.

Still-photos are jaw dropping, however! The HDR lets the camera get details that are lost to the iPhone camera as blown out highlights. I never realized before how often iPhone cameras lose details in highlights. It’s subtle and you need a Pixel 2 to show you what you’re missing. :D

I look forward to comparing its images to what the iPhone X can do when my husband’s X gets here Friday.

His X wallet case already arrived. I was surprised to see my Pixel is about half a centimeter too long to fit into the iPhone X case. The iPhone X is tiny! It look so big when shown in people’s hands in the photos.

Unlike my husband, I prefer this “pure Android” experience so far, though I do miss some Samsung conveniences.

I can see myself rebuying it a few months from now. The display is wonderful. I do wish for more dpi, though. My husband’s 2XL had that going for it. If I wait a few months they might have the XL displays and other q.c. variations sorted. It sounds like much is already being done and newer batches going forward will be better. Lol, and I will have a better budget after the holidays and those bills are paid. Alas, my new work is a volunteer position. No $$$ for my hobbies.

I gotta run. I didn’t get to see the Flossy video yet but thanks for linking it here @deany

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Great, more irrelevant bezel talk has moved into this thread.

Moving on..

@GrumpyMom you need an avatar, being busy and away from time to time is no excuse, I excel at being off Macrumors for months at a time, RL happens, and they even let us mods have lives away from the site, so , so can you .

Agreed on the idea of waiting things out, I have the minor hiss coming into my earpiece now, but I have a note in my google record, and have stated that I am unhappy with the unstable attitude with regards to some games, and the audio. If 8.1 can’t resolve those issues, I made a point that I intend to return the device as a faulty one, and will enact MN Consumer law if needed.

The call went well overall, and I personally have faith in google. This last call went far better than my chat experience when I brought up the reboot issue my phone had.

Looking forward to getting my X this Friday too, and plan on doing some extensive shooting between that, the Pixel, and my iPhone 7. May even throw in a few 5s and iPhone 4 shots, just to show how far we have come ;) .

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.