Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
@GrumpyMom

Just for you...

sadpanda.png

[doublepost=1509712934][/doublepost]
@GrumpyMom

Just for you...

sadpanda.png
Here this one is better @GrumpyMom
Inkedsadpanda_LI.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Quick update on one of my previous posts. I am running Beta 8.1, and the earpiece hiss is no longer an issue for me. Games I was having issues with are more stable as a rule, though “Does Not Commute” will still shut my phone off at max detail.

Sigh....

Well I never! Google must be kicking themselves.
The only thing that would kill me on that phone, is the location of the Camera, in relation to the fingerprint sensor. Not as Bad as Samsung, but I would still touch the camera on occasion I bet.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Quick update on one of my previous posts. I am running Beta 8.1, and the earpiece hiss is no longer an issue for me. Games I was having issues with are more stable as a rule, though “Does Not Commute” will still shut my phone off at max detail.

Sigh....
Some apps need to be updated for Oreo, I guess. Sigh. Is that Star Trek Timelines running better for you now? I don’t know what it was trying to do to my Pixel. I also never loaded Pokémon Go on my Pixel because it was giving my iPhone AND my S8+ fits this summer.

Reactions: deany and jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Have you guys seen some of the people complaining in the iPhone forums about the viewing angles and screen tint when tilted?

It's just funny to see it from an outside perspective. Ahhh, OLED. :D

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Have you guys seen some of the people complaining in the iPhone forums about the viewing angles and screen tint when tilted?

Reviews seem to indicate that the blue shift on the iPhone X is not as bad as the Pixel 2 XL, but I'm not sure people knew what to expect. It's OLED.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Reviews seem to indicate that the blue shift on the iPhone X is not as bad as the Pixel 2 XL, but I'm not sure people knew what to expect. It's OLED.
Oh, no doubt about it. I've seen some blue-tinted Pixel 2 XL pictures and they are legendary (as in, legendarily bad). Just funny to see folks that have never held an OLED device before go, "Wwwwwwhat?" Especially if any of them were trolling when the Pixel 2 was released.

Like you said. It's OLED.

I don't think I could ever go back to a traditionally-backlit display.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Oh, no doubt about it. I've seen some blue-tinted Pixel 2 XL pictures and they are legendary (as in, legendarily bad). Just funny to see folks that have never held an OLED device before go, "Wwwwwwhat?" Especially if any of them were trolling when the Pixel 2 was released.

Like you said. It's OLED.

I don't think I could ever go back to a traditionally-backlit display.

I thought oled tech has solved this issue. I don't see significant colour shift on my S8 even at extreme angle.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I thought oled tech has solved this issue. I don't see significant colour shift on my S8 even at extreme angle.
I have theories on this. I think Google was like "forget it, we're using LG Display" and didn't even worry about blue shift, so the blue shift is borderline brutal. I think Apple spec-ed out the display with Samsung but still lacks some OLED expertise so you get some blue shift but not as bad as the Pixel. Samsung (the mobile company) has a huge head start (not to mention system company) with OLED and knows best how to limit these issues.

Reactions: jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

I have been loving the iPhone forums all day haha.
There was someone who created a thread to tell everyone not to worry about yellow screens as it is just the glue drying. "It will settle".
I nearly spat my coffee everywhere. :D

If my X screen is yellow i'll turn true tone off (which apparently helps). It it's still yellow, I'll get over it!

In Pixel news, my techy friend who likes tech like I do picked up his Pixel 2 earlier this week. He had a Nexus 6P since launch and this was his upgrade. Surprised he went with a smaller phone, but he said that's what he wanted after using a big phone for so long.
He's made up with it. :cool:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
All the bad press on the 2 XL is pretty crazy, whereas the HTC made Pixel 2 is getting rave reviews, besides the large iPhone sized bezels still. Really is too bad the HTC U11+ wasn't the Pixel 2 XL instead of LG's version, but too late now. Can't cry over spilled milk.

As far as Google dropping the price on the Pixel 2 XL eventually, like they have on Nexus phone before. No way, because last years Pixel's never saw a price drop, Google is too stubborn to do that, and is pushing this Apple like pricing structure on the Pixel line, no matter what. Even though the Pixel 2 XL is really a Nexus 8P and should be selling at like $599, Google will never do that out of spite, and wants the public thinking higher price = higher end.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
All the bad press on the 2 XL is pretty crazy, whereas the HTC made Pixel 2 is getting rave reviews, besides the large iPhone sized bezels still. Really is too bad the HTC U11+ wasn't the Pixel 2 XL instead of LG's version, but too late now. Can't cry over spilled milk.

As far as Google dropping the price on the Pixel 2 XL eventually, like they have on Nexus phone before. No way, because last years Pixel's never saw a price drop, Google is too stubborn to do that, and is pushing this Apple like pricing structure on the Pixel line, no matter what. Even though the Pixel 2 XL is really a Nexus 8P and should be selling at like $599, Google will never do that out of spite, and wants the public thinking higher price = higher end.
Right, and they don't really need to sell these devices. They'll release a Pixel 3 in a year and these problems will almost certainly be addressed by HTC's new engineers at Alphabet.

I'm okay as long as Google gives me a fair trade in for the Pixel 2 XL, because I have pretty much resorted to that with this device. I'm okay to live with the screen with the understanding that there will be a new Pixel next year and the size, OS, AI, and battery of this device remain as good as they are.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Looking forward to your thoughts. Mine arrived today, but I am stuck at work and then movie night with the kiddos.
The blue tint was supper obvious during setup as it uses a white background. Now after getting through the intiial setup i haven't noticed it all. It really is a nice phone...feels great in the hand and is sooooo easy to use. I will finish setting ti all up and post back later.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The blue shift is by far my biggest gripe. Make sure you set Night Light mode from like 10 PM to 7:30 AM because the blue is jarring at night.
Thanks for the tip! Google really has the setup down to a tee on this phone.......it is installing all my apps from my Note 8 from the cloud. setup really is easy. It really goes to show Google is really trying to nail the user experience down

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks for the tip! Google really has the setup down to a tee on this phone.......it is installing all my apps from my Note 8 from the cloud. setup really is easy. It really goes to show Google is really trying to nail the user experience down
As a regular iPhone user, I admit it was a little weird for me, but when I restored from my XL to the regular Pixel 2 for testing it was super smooth.

Reactions: 5105973 and deany

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
it is installing all my apps from my Note 8 from the cloud. setup really is easy. It really goes to show Google is really trying to nail the user experience down

Is that with Google cloud from your Note? Tried looking up how to back up apps to Google but could only see my Samsung cloud account and then a Google cloud platform app which didn't have any data.

Still not that clued up on non iOS cloud services and woukd like my Note apps on my 2XL when it arrives.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Is that with Google cloud from your Note? Tried looking up how to back up apps to Google but could only see my Samsung cloud account and then a Google cloud platform app which didn't have any data.

Still not that clued up on non iOS cloud services and woukd like my Note apps on my 2XL when it arrives.
yes...it was Google cloud from my N8......

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Would you mind telling me how you back it up to Google please? Can only see Samsung cloud and the Google console app I found is something to do with developer tools.
All if your installed apps from the Google Play store are already backed up. So when you get your new Pixel go through setu as normal then specify restire from the cloud.

Reactions: michael9891
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.