Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I finally got chance to have a look at the Pixel 2’s today when I went to pick a screen protector up at CPW.

I hate to the ‘that guy’ but I was not a fan of that XL screen. Most definitely muted and very washed out. I know some people don’t want to hear people’s thoights when they’ve only seen it in a shop for five minutes, but just how I felt when I immediately looked at it. The normal Pixel 2 was a much brighter screen, but it’s design does look rather dated now.

Software seemed fantastic as expected though. Very clean.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
That is the main reason I rushed to install it, that and wanting to see of my app crashes were resolved. I love the dimming buttons. I wish it would Invert colors like the X does when you are on a bright screen. I think this would also help save those precious pixels.

I don’t see any difference in speed or camera abilities, so I am curious if the Pixel core is activated in this release? Is it even being used in the stock camera application anyway? I can’t seem to find any direct comments from Google on this.
Visual core not activated in DP1 :)

Reactions: 840quadra

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Yup, and i'm not sure you're going to see a real obvious difference, anyway.
If it is an AI engine for image processing, I would hope I would notice a difference. If not, why put it in the device?

• HDR+ is decent, but could be better
  • Portrait mode has enough artifacts that I simply don't bother using it
  • Realtime screen view of both HDR+ and Portrait mode are different than the image I end up getting. In fact, if you take a photo in Portrait mode, and view it quickly, you can see it processing / changing it for a few seconds after the image was taken.
  • Low light shots are good, but I can imagine we can get better noise reduction, or less noise period
  • I think Google Lens could be done live, as opposed to having to take a picture then view it later.
Maybe I have higher hopes than I should, but, I see this new core as to having some good potential, depending on how Google implements it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If it is an AI engine for image processing, I would hope I would notice a difference. If not, why put it in the device?

• HDR+ is decent, but could be better
  • Portrait mode has enough artifacts that I simply don't bother using it
  • Realtime screen view of both HDR+ and Portrait mode are different than the image I end up getting. In fact, if you take a photo in Portrait mode, and view it quickly, you can see it processing / changing it for a few seconds after the image was taken.
  • Low light shots are good, but I can imagine we can get better noise reduction, or less noise period
  • I think Google Lens could be done live, as opposed to having to take a picture then view it later.
Maybe I have higher hopes than I should, but, I see this new core as to having some good potential, depending on how Google implements it.
I think the initial benefits are supposed to be higher efficiency image processing making the processing process faster and more battery-friendly.

And I love portrait mode. It's not great, but neither was my iPhone 7+'s
fL3nVEO.jpg

It's not perfect, but i'm taking a picture of glass.

Reactions: 840quadra

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I am loving my Pixel 2 XL....love how smooth and fluid it is. Camera is to die for. The bluebtint is there though. But u really never noticed it. It is really a great phone!

Thanks. Glad I kept my pre order, should have one in less than 2 weeks. And hoping I prefer it or the Note to the iPhone X as I’d rather not spend quite so much.

Just curious, are you looking to keep one phone for a while or do you always have a few on the go at the same time?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks. Glad I kept my pre order, should have one in less than 2 weeks. And hoping I prefer it or the Note to the iPhone X as I’d rather not spend quite so much.

Just curious, are you looking to keep one phone for a while or do you always have a few on the go at the same time?
Well....with my addiction....I always have a few phones....just 3 right now....
Pixke 2 XL, Note 8, iPhone 8 plus

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I am loving my Pixel 2 XL....love how smooth and fluid it is. Camera is to die for. The bluebtint is there though. But u really never noticed it. It is really a great phone!
Between the XL 2 and the Note 8, Android is running laps around this year's iPhone. It's amazing to watch. And of the iPhones, my own recommendation is the 8 Plus.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I think the initial benefits are supposed to be higher efficiency image processing making the processing process faster and more battery-friendly.

And I love portrait mode. It's not great, but neither was my iPhone 7+'s

It's not perfect, but i'm taking a picture of glass.

I have yet to see a sharp focus cut on an iPhone portrait shot, it renders hair correctly at the edges and keeps things in focus that should be, and other items out of focus that should be. It is much more realistic depth of field than the Pixel produces.

While the Pixel can take some seriously gorgeous shots in portrait mode, I am only happy with the shots that are almost 2 dimensional in nature. An item like a glass, with nothing else in the foreground, with a deep background, the Pixel 2 will render it perfectly. Put in something with a lot of surface features, many items that should be out of focus, simply aren't. I don't see that in iPhone portrait shots. Jason Howell (of all about Android) has the same opinion, and like him, I believe that the iPhone is using both lenses to develop a full image map and properly render the cut-off.

Bad depth shots are just something I see, and can't un-see after I notice it.

Reactions: 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I’ve not noticed much talk of burn in issues lately either. Maybe later batches are better than the first lot? Found myself looking at the Pixelbooks as well recently. My non encrypted iPad backup was somehow encrypted, which has made me want away from iOS.

Reactions: v0lume4

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
This is confusing, you are upset that iOS encrypted your backup?

I’ve been enjoying Android lately and after years with iOS, finding it a little stale/boring. Been wanting some kind of tablet / notebook with at least 128gb to replace an iPad Air 2. And yes, I’m upset about the backup which is just more encouragement to look at alternatives. It was 100% not encrypted when I backed it up this morning (I never encrypt them) before moving from iOS 10 to iOS 11.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well I just submitted the return request for my Pixel 2. I barely had it a week and I find myself clawing at the back of my iPhone 7 Plus and hubby’s iPhone X for the rear fingerprint sensor. :p That sensor is fabulous and well placed. I refuse to use the one on my Samsung any more. I just key in my 4 digit passcode.

Even though it’s a bit laggy compared to a Pixel, and has a lot of other things I complain about, I have to admit I will be happy to return my sim to my S8+. I like the Pixel better in most respects, but at this point that over saturated pink stained piece of crap and I have been through a lot together. It does some insane panoramas. And it’s purple. Oh yeah, and it has a headphone jack. :) I need a dongle for my 7 Plus and a dongle for the Pixel and I was going a bit mad on managing them both.

Reactions: v0lume4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.