Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Well, I took delivery of the X on Friday and have decided to make it my daily driver for the next few months (at least). So I’m boxing up the Pixel 2 and sending it back to Google. Very good phone, but the X delivers the things I was hoping Apple would give me in an iPhone.

Which are what?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well, I took delivery of the X on Friday and have decided to make it my daily driver for the next few months (at least). So I’m boxing up the Pixel 2 and sending it back to Google. Very good phone, but the X delivers the things I was hoping Apple would give me in an iPhone.
It great to find a phone that does what you want/need it to do! Enjoy!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
How are Pixel 2 owners changing their color profiles from the latest update? Just curious. We haven't received the update yet, but looking forward to it on our Pixel 2s.

It's interesting there are now multiple color modes, just like the Samsung software experience.
I'm on beta so I haven't gotten the update yet

Reactions: epicrayban

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
How are Pixel 2 owners changing their color profiles from the latest update? Just curious. We haven't received the update yet, but looking forward to it on our Pixel 2s.

It's interesting there are now multiple color modes, just like the Samsung software experience.
It's somewhere under Settings > Display. Sorry that I can't be more specific (as I can't see the toggle on my Nexus 6P), but that gets you 70% of the way there!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I meant more, are Pixel 2 owners (not XL owners) changing their color profiles? Or are they sticking with the current settings they have now?

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I meant more, are Pixel 2 owners (now XL owners) changing their color profiles? Or are they sticking with the current settings they have now?

I am trying on "saturated" mode for a day or two on my XL. The colors are much more normal looking, still not as saturated as on the Note 8. But any white screen, such as my email, now looks blue, so not sure what I am going to do. Boosted may be the middle ground, but it is much closer to "natural" or dull mode then I would like.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Moral of the Story: Don't make the panda angry
I have to be grumpy sometimes to live up to my screen name. :D Ugh and I’m not a soggy Autumn morning person. At all. Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year on the east coast of the US, but it’s been ruined by cold soggy weather. I had to carry lots of heavy bags of old clothes and stuff one after the other across a loading area in this weather. :confused:
So anyway if I’m going to pick a day to be grumpy, this is a good day for it. It’s late afternoon and I’m still dragging despite a decent nights sleep.

I’m also sad and salty to be sending my Pixel back. I looked at their website with an eye toward getting back in the queue for one and hopefully getting a delivery date for after the holidays, but they are out of Panda. I do not understand this out of stock stuff. Why don’t they let you order and just be at the tail end of the queue like with the iPhones? I suppose it was a mistake to cancel my Panda preorder, but at the time I didn’t think I’d want one again so soon, or that it would be impossible to order again and wait for a new delivery date, not matter how far out. After all, they are advertising them on tv. And they only just debuted them. Was every color but black meant to be a limited edition? How odd.

@840quadra thank you for sharing the link to your album. Your photos of ordinary objects look extraordinary. You definitely have a gift for your work and art. I thought the Pixel 2 depicted textures in a way that helped transform the ordinary into something interesting to look at. Like the bolts inset into the wood. The iPhone X made that scene look a tad bit polished and processed and the Pixel 2 did something with the lighting that made the bolts look more textured and interesting against the wood. I did notice on my own Pixel 2 that the digital zoom matched that of my 7 Plus’s optical zoom in terms of capturing detail.

I’m going to miss my spinning globe wallpaper. Well off I go again. I’ll be haunting this thread as time permits, living vicariously through everyone else’s posts.

Reactions: 840quadra and deany

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Which are what?
I’ve preferred a larger screen but without the HUGE bezels on the 8+. This checks that box. Also, while I’ve preferred a smaller form factor, I didn’t want to lose the dual cameras of the 8+. This also checks that box. The OLED and wireless charging are also things I’ve wanted to see in an iPhone. While the X isn’t perfect, it’s got enough of the boxes checked for me to keep me satisfied for a while.

I had the Pixel 2 for a bit and chose it over the 2XL due to size. But, the X is roughly the same size as the Pixel 2 but with more screen, and IMO, a better looking screen to boot. I know it’s been discussed to death, but iMessage is a big deal for my usage and lacking that on any non-iPhone becomes laborious when it comes to utilizing alternative solutions. Again, subjective, but important to me.

The X isn’t worth $1,200, but I don’t think any phone is. But I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford it and not worry about the price.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I think the X and the Pixels are bleeding edge devices to testbed up coming OS and hardware tech.

I think choosing either as a 1st time bridge into a different ecosystem isnt going to guarantee you a happy and trouble free experience.

I'd choose HTC or the Iphone 8 series as better 1st time devices.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve preferred a larger screen but without the HUGE bezels on the 8+. This checks that box. Also, while I’ve preferred a smaller form factor, I didn’t want to lose the dual cameras of the 8+. This also checks that box. The OLED and wireless charging are also things I’ve wanted to see in an iPhone. While the X isn’t perfect, it’s got enough of the boxes checked for me to keep me satisfied for a while.

I had the Pixel 2 for a bit and chose it over the 2XL due to size. But, the X is roughly the same size as the Pixel 2 but with more screen, and IMO, a better looking screen to boot. I know it’s been discussed to death, but iMessage is a big deal for my usage and lacking that on any non-iPhone becomes laborious when it comes to utilizing alternative solutions. Again, subjective, but important to me.

The X isn’t worth $1,200, but I don’t think any phone is. But I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford it and not worry about the price.
The X and the Pixel 2 are indeed very close in size. But I can’t type easily on the X and not on the Pixel 2. I wish the X had a Touch ID scanner on the back as nice as the Pixel 2 has. It’s really fast and accurate for me. I know it’s not really an Apple thing to put Touch ID on the back, but if they could have made the Apple logo a Touch ID sensor, that would have been so cool. Cases often have a cutout for the Apple logo anyway.

Well good luck and enjoy your new iPhone X.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
The X and the Pixel 2 are indeed very close in size. But I can’t type easily on the X and not on the Pixel 2. I wish the X had a Touch ID scanner on the back as nice as the Pixel 2 has. It’s really fast and accurate for me. I know it’s not really an Apple thing to put Touch ID on the back, but if they could have made the Apple logo a Touch ID sensor, that would have been so cool. Cases often have a cutout for the Apple logo anyway.

Well good luck and enjoy your new iPhone X.

No doubt about that! I think it’s a missed opportunity, tbh.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017

^ Best Pixel 2 XL review I have seen so far surpassing Mr. Mobile. I have always liked JimsReviewRoom for a couple of years now.

An unlocked Galaxy S8 probably offers better value than the Pixel 2 XL right now. I thought the camera and display was better.

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

^ Best Pixel 2 XL review I have seen so far surpassing Mr. Mobile. I have always liked JimsReviewRoom for a couple of years now.

An unlocked Galaxy S8 probably offers better value than the Pixel 2 XL right now. I thought the camera and display was better.
His headphone reviews are must watch. Helped me make my buying decision for sure.
[doublepost=1510109517][/doublepost]
Got my free Google Mini redemption. Picked the Coral color. Looking forward to getting it and trying a Google home.

I really want a Max, so hope this is a good experience.
I went with Coral, too. Looking forward to trying it out. Once Sonos starts supporting Assistant, we're going to really be cooking.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Google bought Pixel 2 here on Verizon. Still no update. Been watching reddit and quite a few in the same situation. I dont know what the hold up is :(

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
A lot of people on Reddit are reporting they haven't received the security update yet. I had it pretty much immediately when it was available. I thought Google stopped doing these slow, random roll outs. That said, I am really enjoying the new update. I like how the nav bar icons fade when you're in an app. I still use the color navbar app as I still think it's worth using. As far as the color profile I have been happy with the Pixel 2 default which is labeled as "boosted" in the Display -> Colors section.

Reactions: co.ag.2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.