Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My Pixel 2 is still on the September security patch. What gives?
I know mine too! Thats not right....
[doublepost=1510147503][/doublepost]Are the carriers holding back the Google updates to the Pixel?

PSA: Pixel/Nexus updates can still be subject to carrier approval | AKA - Where is my update, and why?
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7bfkdr/psa_pixelnexus_updates_can_still_be_subject_to/

Here is a link tot he OTA source from Google

https://developers.google.com/android/ota

a little how to side load it via commands...

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-install-ota-updates-manually-using-recovery-and-adb-sideload/

Last edited:

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Verizon isnt. They have an announcement on their website that November patch is available.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Verizon isnt. They have an announcement on their website that November patch is available.
being available and being pushed out are two different things......the OTA is available from Google as well....but hasn't been pushed out to all Pixels yet....

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah I was hoping google would get better at rolling out updates, not like there is a massive amount of phones they are updating. No reason they can't do it all at once, guess different philosophy.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah I was hoping google would get better at rolling out updates, not like there is a massive amount of phones they are updating. No reason they can't do it all at once, guess different philosophy.

I really don't understand why my Pixel 2 is still on the September patch.

Reactions: jamezr

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Flossy's review is up. The 2XL is a "major go" and the "smoothest Android experience"
however even though its a "heavy hitter" its still second place to the Note 8....and he hates the 2XL's price with a passion.
No great surprises here as Floss loves his Note 8 with the S pen.

Great review.
Did not expect him to rate the iPhone 8 Plus over the pixel 2 xl.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Pixel XL OG vs pixel XL 2..
In actual... pixel XL2 is really washed out compared to my XL OG...
And blue tint is very obvious...

0a0f64ceb44678a902f5836613fab72a.jpg

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
if anyone's interested, the panda / penguin 2 XL is available to order now, ships in 3-4 weeks. Also, my pre-order Panda should hopefully ship this weekend or Monday at the latest! Can't wait to get a 2 XL in my hands again

View attachment 734099

I like the look of the panda but man does the black feel good to hold. So nice to have a phone that isn't a greasy smudge by the end of the day.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
if anyone's interested, the panda / penguin 2 XL is available to order now, ships in 3-4 weeks. Also, my pre-order Panda should hopefully ship this weekend or Monday at the latest! Can't wait to get a 2 XL in my hands again

View attachment 734099
Sigh. I just saw that and was able to spec it out and yeah, it’s buyable. I should be thrilled, but there’s a lot to consider with this one. I’m not very happy to read of the problems people have had with their trade ins. That service was a huge reassurance to me. A lot has changed since I first fell for the Panda. It’s something I’ll have to think about and talk over with my husband.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
https://m.androidcentral.com/lots-people-are-having-trouble-google-stores-trade-program

Reading the comments on this article, is frighting if you planned on trading in your original Pixel in for the Pixel 2. It's not handled by Google, but some obscure third party, and everyone saying it's nightmarish.

Again I love stock Android, and prefer the Nexus / Pixel phones over anything else, but man Google just sucks as a phone hardware company. Apple is ten million times better. But I know Apple have years more experience and a billion more phones sold than Google, I grant them that, but this also isn't Google's first rodeo either, they aren't the Essential company, they should be better than this.

At this point I think the Pixel 2 lineup should get a price break, to match the 2016 Pixel pricing of last year.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
https://m.androidcentral.com/lots-people-are-having-trouble-google-stores-trade-program

Reading the comments on this article, is frighting if you planned on trading in your original Pixel in for the Pixel 2. It's not handled by Google, but some obscure third party, and everyone saying it's nightmarish.

Again I love stock Android, and prefer the Nexus / Pixel phones over anything else, but man Google just sucks as a phone hardware company. Apple is ten million times better. But I know Apple have years more experience and a billion more phones sold than Google, I grant them that, but this also isn't Google's first rodeo either, they aren't the Essential company, they should be better than this.

At this point I think the Pixel 2 lineup should get a price break, to match the 2016 Pixel pricing of last year.

Same thing happened with Samsung's trade in program with the S8 and then the Note 8. Read through some of those threads on Reddit. Pretty appalling that these large companies can't handle some thing like this.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

View attachment 734099
I actually cancelled my order and it had nothing to do with the issues being raised over the hardware. I've just grown tired of Google's shennanigans with supply distribution. It's grown very old.

What exactly is the point of having a VP of hardware if everything is still as crappy as it was before you had one.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

That would be complete BS.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m still mystified about the blotch of pixelation that looked like a mosaic on my videos. Both at 4K and lower. These blotches are formed both in good outdoor lighting and dim indoor lighting and are formed when the camera pans from a lighter area of a scene to a slightly darker area of a scene or vice versa. Instead of an exposure adjustment taking place that would either let in more light or block additional light as needed, the camera would just cause a massive scene stealing blob of pixels to form. On my iPhone the same scene transitions simply result in a moment where the scene is over exposed or underexposed for a second as the camera adjusts.

Has anyone else run across this odd blobby problem in their videos? Video taking is a pretty significant use for me so if this is a problem that all pixels have, I am hesitant to take a chance on a replacement. If it was just a defect of my particular camera, well I’m still not going to feel particularly confident in Google right now, but it leaves me with some hope.

In indoor testing of my husband’s Pixel 2 XL I didn’t see the mosaic blobs. I didn’t get a chance to test his phone outdoors for video.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’m still mystified about the blotch of pixelation that looked like a mosaic on my videos. Both at 4K and lower. These blotches are formed both in good outdoor lighting and dim indoor lighting and are formed when the camera pans from a lighter area of a scene to a slightly darker area of a scene or vice versa. Instead of an exposure adjustment taking place that would either let in more light or block additional light as needed, the camera would just cause a massive scene stealing blob of pixels to form. On my iPhone the same scene transitions simply result in a moment where the scene is over exposed or underexposed for a second as the camera adjusts.

Has anyone else run across this odd blobby problem in their videos? Video taking is a pretty significant use for me so if this is a problem that all pixels have, I am hesitant to take a chance on a replacement. If it was just a defect of my particular camera, well I’m still not going to feel particularly confident in Google right now, but it leaves me with some hope.

In indoor testing of my husband’s Pixel 2 XL I didn’t see the mosaic blobs. I didn’t get a chance to test his phone outdoors for video.
I haven't seen that on mine...but haven't tried 4k video though...if that makes a difference.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.