Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The 8 Plus has a different camera than the X, My tests are bit different results than theirs, but I am not a YouTube star so nobody cares. :p
I was amazed by the video stabilization on the Pixel when he was running! The Pixel really does well in video.
I wonder how all these tests will turn out when Google's Pixel Visual Core is enabled.

Reactions: 840quadra

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I got a look at SuperSaf’s comparison between the Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone X. The Pixel 2 XL really kicked the IPhone X around hard. Apple really needs to do something about those blown highlights! :eek: We got that in our real world tests, too. So it’s not any bias in Saf’s methodology. My husband and I get the same results doing selfies on his iPhone X. We get backgrounds that are overexposed and not really visible. And highlights on our faces that are way overdone.

I just can’t understand why I got such horrible results on my Pixel 2 in videos. I took it to film a children’s party at an activity center and in the indoor gym lighting, when I would pan the camera I’d see jitters really bad on my video. It’s such a shame because SuperSaf gets gorgeous smooth results from OIS and I get the jello jitters just from panning. With kids, I end up doing quite a bit of panning from one group of kids to the next so it does affect my videos. My husband had already boxed his Pixel 2 XL so I couldn’t test his out to see if mine is just defective. And again the color was not as good as it could be indoors.

Indoors the iPhones do better on color. Outdoors it’s the Pixels game.

I’ve not followed the news so I have to ask—has Google activated that secret magic chip yet?

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017

^ When LG did the same thing on the G5 coating, reviewers bashed it for feeling cheap. But if LG does it for the Pixel 2 XL, reviewers say it feels "premium." These narratives. The hate on the G5 reminds me of what the Essential is getting now.

My G5 is still my favorite smartphone ever and will be for a very long time. Faster fingerprint scanner than my Pixel. I look at charging speeds between iPhone X and Note8 and laugh at them. I have a spare battery given for free from Best Buy. Zero to 100% in seconds or 75 minutes, tops. Only 10 minutes slower than the V10 which was one of the fastest charging phones ever rated.

I really, really like the Google Pixel 2 XL. I just wished the smaller Pixel 2 had a panda color and had the same screen/body ratio as the Essential. Then it would be perfect. Same size as iPhone X but same front as the Essential. Mostly matte rear finish. And panda. Gotta have the panda. That would be my ideal phone. Everything the Pixel 2 could do with the Essential front and XL's panda back.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
^^^Who are you? The actual grumpy mom is a panda
I can’t bear to be a Panda right now with my Panda Pixel order canceled. The disappointment with the qc issues runs deep for me. I was really looking forward to getting that phone. Between seeing defects in my own Pixel 2’s performance on video and seeing Google shipping out Pixels without their operating systems and all the other things they have been sloppy with, I have to hang back a bit and wait and see. The Panda is sold out on their system now anyway even if I wanted to be brave and try again right now.

I loved the Pixel 2 display. That was excellent. I got great colors and viewing angles on that one. But typing on the squished in keyboard was harder. I think I do want to go 2 XL when and if I reorder. It’s tough because I liked things about both sizes of Pixel 2s. Overall I think to save my sanity for typing and texting, I have to go with 2 XL.

I did notice I can type okay on the iPhone X keyboard despite that phone looking narrow. I can also do fine on my iPhone SE. the Pixel 2 was just at that odd size where it wasn’t small enough or big enough. :rolleyes:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
...And my XL 2 is now (probably in an idiotic haste*) rooted! I am using something new instead of twrp and SuperSU, its magisk. It was quick for the most part but needed a couple work arounds and I ended up going back to my outdated MBP to finish flashing the patched boot image so I could get root.

In the mean time I got adaway up and running.

*will see when it comes time to update the device

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
If you saw a recent post of mine, some of you know that I cancelled my Pixel 2 XL pre-order. It makes it so painful to see ads for it. :D First, this past weekend while watching college football. Now, I see this new ad today:

THE AGONY. :D
I guess thats why there aren't any Pandas in the wild, they're all in commercials...

Really shouldn't take this long to get my phone.

Reactions: 5105973

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
...And my XL 2 is now (probably in an idiotic haste*) rooted! I am using something new instead of twrp and SuperSU, its magisk. It was quick for the most part but needed a couple work arounds and I ended up going back to my outdated MBP to finish flashing the patched boot image so I could get root.

In the mean time I got adaway up and running.

*will see when it comes time to update the device
Root is nice, but what magisk modules are you using?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
When I installed adaway I was prompted to grant or deny root access. I granted it. Same for FlashFire so it works like SuperSU on my Nexus devices

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Yes! It's in the November security patch. I actually just got it on my Nexus 6P (though I'm not seeing the color options since I don't have a Pixel 2).

You get three color options now, saturated gives normal looking colors to me, but makes white screens blue. I don't notice much in "boosted". I mean, love the phone, but it is just a bad display compared to Note 8 or iPhone X, no getting around it. Still keeping it though as I like to have best of android and iPhone, and the software overcomes the display to me.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Been charged for my black carbon fabric case, so the 2XL itself shouldn't be too far behind. It sure if I should have kept the order for the cement colour case as well. But with it being fabric, thought it would get dirty fairly quickly.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Danny Winget's camera test
Seeing his results, now I have to think something was wrong with my Pixel 2. At 4:09, that yellow tinge on the light colored road, that’s the sort of yellow mess I was getting on skintones and light surfaces indoors. It kind of came and went, but mostly it was infiltrating my indoor shots more often than not.

What I liked about the Pixel camera was that it is a sponge for details. It soaked them all up and put them on nearly every picture. On an iPhone picture, it was like these details didn’t even exist. Weird.

But for the phone as a whole, I have to say I’m so disappointed in Google. For what they are charging, they are leaving so much out. I was just out of curiosity checking out the HTC phones and it just kills me to see what kind of audio I could expect to get when recording video even on their cheapie HTC U11 Life. That puts the iPhone X to shame, too. Google and Apple keep giving us cheap dollar store monoaural audio for our videos. Makes me grumpy. :mad: For the prices they are charging there is no excuse not to give us stereo audio. Google has access to HTC engineers now, so next year, there is no excuse. If they don’t give stereo recording capability on generation 3, I’m going to their displays and crushing the phones under my heel and spit on them.

Apple is on iPhone X and still won’t do stereo audio after all these years and sitting on top of all their billions of dollars playing around with self driving cars and whatever. They do what they please and are pleased when they do, the arrogant jerk wads. I’m not going to diss the iPhone X too much, though, because I can see how much GrumpyDad loves it. He’s really taken to it. I was shocked how good its speakers sound. It put my Pixel 2’s front facing speakers to shame. I wept. :(

Jeez, when is this damned coffee going to wake me up? We are having industrial strength craptastic grey weather. It’s awful. I’m about to face plant onto my iPad. Fortunately I don’t have to go into the school today. But I have to collect and organize donations for a charity drive so I’ll get another cup of something with caffeine and read the front page and see what fresh hell the tech news is visiting upon us today.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
How are Pixel 2 owners changing their color profiles from the latest update? Just curious. We haven't received the update yet, but looking forward to it on our Pixel 2s.

It's interesting there are now multiple color modes, just like the Samsung software experience.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have posted up a few more images comparing the X and the Pixel 2 in low light. While there are other photos (for different reasons) in this gallery, you can view them all here. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-8nstRW/i-cHnbdBn

Tests against the X start on Page 3 of that gallery.

i-8H3m36d-X3.jpg

i-cHnbdBn-X3.jpg

I am really interested in how the Pixel is able to pull in so much detail when doing Digital zoom, as opposed to the optical 2nd lens on the X

i-SxhGm76-X3.jpg

i-KLCF6S9-X3.jpg

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Well, I took delivery of the X on Friday and have decided to make it my daily driver for the next few months (at least). So I’m boxing up the Pixel 2 and sending it back to Google. Very good phone, but the X delivers the things I was hoping Apple would give me in an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.