Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
maybe Monday huh? Sometimes they deliver early...they did for me.....

Yeah, I think so. The black one I ordered during the Keynote came a day or two earlier than their estimate.

EDIT: and it's coming via Fedex, not that other awful company others had bad experience with. It doesn't show up in Fedex's system but I imagine it will by the end of the day.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Who has the latest XL update that is supposed to "fix the screen issues" I have yet to get the prompt but once again I have rooted my device and modified system so it will take a bit of work to get the update working.

Anyway I was just wondering how the update was working out for those of you who have it installed. Did it "fix the screen issues"?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Who has the latest XL update that is supposed to "fix the screen issues" I have yet to get the prompt but once again I have rooted my device and modified system so it will take a bit of work to get the update working.

Anyway I was just wondering how the update was working out for those of you who have it installed. Did it "fix the screen issues"?
Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn at the Verge love the Saturated setting

Reactions: slitherjef

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Anyone having this flashing screen issue?

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/forum/AAAAb4-OgUsdTnuf7vomLg/?hl=by

Holding out on pulling the trigger until there’s clarity on what is and isn’t a widespread issue.
Where is her attached video? I wonder if that was the same problem my husband had when he first booted up the phone. He rebooted it and it didn’t do it again. The screen turned itself off when he would touch the display then turn on again when he took his finger off. That was a 2 XL.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Still see the fakeness of the portrait mode shots, but starting to accept the world as Google wants me to see it ;)

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171110143207303_COVER.jpg

Friend and I are testing to see if photos taken from a pixel are getting a boost on Google maps, versus shots taken by other phones. So far many of ours are moving up in the ranks at various locations. There may be a pixel boost on Google maps!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Still see the fakeness of the portrait mode shots, but starting to accept the world as Google wants me to see it ;)

View attachment 734428

Friend and I are testing to see if photos taken from a pixel are getting a boost on Google maps, versus shots taken by other phones. So far many of ours are moving up in the ranks at various locations. There may be a pixel boost on Google maps!
What guide level are you?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
How do you check views? I've been doing this since I had my 6P, so I'm level 6. I like the Chicago Flag star I get!
[doublepost=1510348369][/doublepost]Just got 5 points for editing the Austin Domain Apple Store location! Sweet!

Reactions: 840quadra

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

View attachment 734428

Is that a tasty Northeastern IPA ?

Reactions: 840quadra

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Is that a tasty Northeastern IPA ?
Yes, essently it is!
[doublepost=1510354416][/doublepost]
How do you check views? I've been doing this since I had my 6P, so I'm level 6. I like the Chicago Flag star I get!
[doublepost=1510348369][/doublepost]Just got 5 points for editing the Austin Domain Apple Store location! Sweet!
Go Into Google maps > hamburger menu > your contributions > photos.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well after a lot of discussion and experimenting with GrumpyDad’s IPhone X, I am suitably impressed enough to think about getting one eventually, after the holidays and holiday bills, that is.

We had a date night sans kids at a restaurant and took some photos with my 7 Plus and his iPhone X. The X can definitely get low light photos my 7 Plus can not. He took a pic of me with my 7 Plus a couple of times and could not get one that wasn’t newsprint levels of grainy. He took some with the iPhone X and they came out so dark you couldn’t make out my face at first. But then he goes into edit mode, hits the magic wand icon and then put the photo through a slider of exposure options and the pictures of me came out perfect! I was astonished. They had great details and color. You’re not going to see this in camera comparisons because that’s not part of the testing methodology employed. But it’s such an easy feature to use and the results are gorgeous. Using the exact same technique on my 7 Plus photos did not yield satisfactory results. The noise remained horrendous.

So now I’m convinced the X is a worthwhile upgrade camera wise from my 7 Plus and a nice transition size wise to a nicely handled form factor.

I haven’t written off the Panda forever though. Mother’s Day or birthday in spring and summer leave it open as an option because I’m pretty sure the X won’t ever match the Pixel 2’s ability to capture detail the iPhone cameras never seem to even see. By then Google will have released everything from accessories to software updates to realize the potential of the Pixel 2 platform that’s only a promise now.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You have moved beyond the panda phone. You have become a symbol. The symbol of a Panda avatar.
I’m an ermine now. And I have not moved beyond the Panda. It continues to fascinate me. But I’m not buying it until the potential is fully realized. Lol, and definitely not until they start requiring signatures for delivery. Have they started doing that yet?

I live out in a relatively nice rural area but my mailbox has been run over and some of my Christmas displays have been kicked over in the past. I’m not letting anything this expensive just get left on my front porch.

194DD96F-93A1-409A-AB29-C55F3D583F5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
For anyone still waiting on the November update, this worked for me

The saturated color looks amazing, by the way. Day and night better.
I'm confused.

I thought displays were supposed to be accurate?
Samsung provides industry std colour gamut choices on its phones and gets flamed.

Google cobble together some random display modes to elastoplast the LG clusterf..k and everything is ok?

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012

Saturated looks normal, but still less saturated then a Note 8. My only screen issue was the blue tint, which is still there. But things look way better on Saturated mode.

Reactions: slitherjef

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm confused.

I thought displays were supposed to be accurate?
Samsung provides industry std colour gamut choices on its phones and gets flamed.

Google cobble together some random display modes to elastoplast the LG clusterf..k and everything is ok?
I think I need a nap too because I’m confused along with you. I thought the original Pixel 2 XL display colors were fine. My husband objected to the grain in it and so did I, but the colors were nice as they were, though we had some doubts as to whether or not reds were accurate. Samsung set certain expectations for OLED displays with their Adaptive mode, I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.