Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm still holding out for hope for delivery today, but the fact it's been about 45 miles away without any changes in status, like "out for delivery", has me nervous...

upload_2017-11-13_15-45-26.png

Upon further inspection, the phone is coming from "Lies Road"... so, now I know not to expect it today...

tumblr_magx3des9d1qcqckvo1_500.gif

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Agreed with this 100%. I loved that little phone and miss it more often than I'm willing to admit

The Pixel 2 is the Android experience everyone deserves
I’m willing to admit I miss it. Everything was pretty good except that video problem I had and the tendency to yellow tints in low light. I do prefer a Panda though, for the size. And it’s stylish. :D There was a charm and grace to pure Google Android. It is a shame I didn’t have more time with it. And I miss my flat android display. I miss the quality of the pictures it took in good light, so full of rich detail and texture.

Still, I have a good affinity for my S8+. I complain about it a lot because it does have issues, but it makes a better partner with my 7 Plus than the Pixel 2 did. The Pixel 2 seemed to make the iPhone 7 Plus redundant at times. My S8+ has strengths that are a good complement to the 7 Plus and vice versa.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So... a bit of a confession...

I have barely used my 2 XL. I have got the boot loader unlocked, rooted and only have a bare minimum of my apps installed on the device. I barely pick it up. I usually reach for my 6p (p for problems...) and when I want a second line, my nexus 6.

:(

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I have barely used my 2 XL. I have got the boot loader unlocked, rooted and only have a bare minimum of my apps installed on the device. I barely pick it up. I usually reach for my 6p (p for problems...) and when I want a second line, my nexus 6.

Why is that? My husband had difficulty getting interested in his 2XL for some reason. He wanted to make it a daily driver during the evaluation period but the lack of native support for priority email notifications posed a problem for him as well as his strong dependence on his Apple Watch for various features and full notifications. I have a similar dependence on the Apple Watch which is why I don’t fully leave iOS and go to Android.

You seem all in on Android so what is holding you back?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

Sounds like you aren't using the phone since you don't have everything on it. There's sometimes a bit of a transition into making a phone your daily driver. :)

I'd imagine that once you have it set up like your Nexus 6P, it'll be your go-to.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Just reading about the issues like the video recording banding from GSM Arena makes me kinda regret selling the first Pixel. Maybe I will rebuy the og Pixel again in another year when it reaches below $250.

Get unlimited Google Photos for original quality for life. I will get the black and 128gb this time. Or maybe not. Such a hassle transferring files using BT or a Mac.

Pixel 1 - 143g
iPhone X - 174g

I remember feeling the heft with the og PS Vita after playing games for awhile but don't feel it with the slim. The differences is only 41g. That's nearly the same as going from iPhone 6 to iPhone X.

The X feels hefty for its Pixel 1-like dimensions. Heavier than iPhone 6 Plus by 2g. One-hand fatigue. I will get the Pixel 3 (smaller one) if Apple decides to gimp the 5.8" and give 4 GB RAM only to the 6.5".

At least Google doesn't do this to their Pixels with same amount of RAM, camera, and similar battery life.

Reactions: timeconsumer

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Just reading about the issues like the video recording banding from GSM Arena makes me kinda regret selling the first Pixel. Maybe I will rebuy the og Pixel again in another year when it reaches below $250.

Get unlimited Google Photos for original quality for life. I will get the black and 128gb this time. Or maybe not. Such a hassle transferring files using BT or a Mac.

Pixel 1 - 143g
iPhone X - 174g

I remember feeling the heft with the og PS Vita after playing games for awhile but don't feel it with the slim. The differences is only 41g. That's nearly the same as going from iPhone 6 to iPhone X.

The X feels hefty for its Pixel 1-like dimensions. Heavier than iPhone 6 Plus by 2g. One-hand fatigue. I will get the Pixel 3 (smaller one) if Apple decides to gimp the 5.8" and give 4 GB RAM only to the 6.5".

At least Google doesn't do this to their Pixels with same amount of RAM, camera, and similar battery life.
I have not seen the banding issue in video recording, but I don't do a ton of video recording, either...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Pixel 1 - 143g
iPhone X - 174g

Yeah let’s hope they don’t follow Apple with that. It’s so frustrating wanting to pick a form factor you are comfortable with but finding features are withheld for the one that’s a pocket buster financially and physically. It was nice to see the best features in such a small form factor as the X but I don’t think Apple will keep doing that next year.

I will have to read that GSM Arena article. I haven’t heard of anything about video banding. Maybe it’s related to the video problem I had? But despite my popping onto MR to post inane comments I actually haven’t had time to keep up with my usual quantity of tech news. I’m on a break at the moment

Edit update: I just looked that article up. Jesus Mary and Joseph no, I did not have that problem with my Pixel 2. Crap. I had to shut the page down and am sitting down. Its triggering a mild migraine. Yeah that quick. People with seizure disorders or migraines may want to give the video portion a skip. Fortunately I’m at home. I’ll be ok. Jeez.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Just reading about the issues like the video recording banding from GSM Arena makes me kinda regret selling the first Pixel.

Just set my Pixel up and quickly tried taking a video. The banding is very obvious and in low light, it's simply dreadful. I don't take many videos but there's no way I can live with it when I do take them.

Was just thinking how great the phone feels in the hand, how much I like the display. Is this something that affects just some Pixels or is it a major problem? Not heard about it until I read your post.
[doublepost=1510683877][/doublepost]Having read some more, it seems to be LED lighting. Which is what I have in the room I'm in, other rooms without are fine. I found it strange when I signed in to Google I got the 2 factor authentication text but didn't have to input it anywhere to sign in.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just set my Pixel up and quickly tried taking a video. The banding is very obvious and in low light, it's simply dreadful. I don't take many videos but there's no way I can live with it when I do take them.

Was just thinking how great the phone feels in the hand, how much I like the display. Is this something that affects just some Pixels or is it a major problem? Not heard about it until I read your post.
[doublepost=1510683877][/doublepost]Having read some more, it seems to be LED lighting. Which is what I have in the room I'm in, other rooms without are fine. I found it strange when I signed in to Google I got the 2 factor authentication text but didn't have to input it anywhere to sign in.
Okay, so I had forgotten my husband switched some of our lighting to LED. Mercifully if they flicker, I am not sensitive to it because there are some kinds of fluorescent lights that will give me a migraine or worse, a full on seizure. These don’t disturb me at all. So anyway, I checked the bulbs in the rooms where my Pixel 2 gave me really craptastic video with lots of noise, horrible color rendition and peculiar distortions. This is the bulb I found in the main side table lamp:

1F1509E8-EE6C-47CE-A36A-1E126BCC542A.jpeg

Another lamp has a warm fluorescent bulb and two others have incandescent lights.

My iPhone 7 handles the video in that room fine, there’s a bit of noise and focusing is slower than in bright natural light, but colors render accurately and panning is smooth with no artifacts produced. One of my Samsungs, I don’t remember which one or if it’s even one I still have since we turned four Note 7s and an S7 loaner back to AT&T had a spot of trouble with a little bit of distortion in that same room quite some time ago, but otherwise did a passable job recording video in it.

Because I have a mix of lighting in my house, it’s hard for me to say LEDs definitely trouble Pixel 2 cameras or even all Pixel 2 cameras in the same way. I wasn’t getting banding like I saw in that article, for instance, but I was not getting good results like I can get from my iPhone and some of my other phone cameras. If I were using LED bulbs exclusively, perhaps I would have seen banding.

But the other issues I saw on my Pixel 2 camera also took place in bright daylight. I have seen one of the issues so far with only one other You-Tuber’s video. It was jerky images when panning. There was no smoothness.

I do hope a Google gets to the bottom of this and fixes it for current owners and definitely gets it out of the way for next year’s model.

Reactions: michael9891

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Why is that? My husband had difficulty getting interested in his 2XL for some reason. He wanted to make it a daily driver during the evaluation period but the lack of native support for priority email notifications posed a problem for him as well as his strong dependence on his Apple Watch for various features and full notifications. I have a similar dependence on the Apple Watch which is why I don’t fully leave iOS and go to Android.

You seem all in on Android so what is holding you back?

Sounds like you aren't using the phone since you don't have everything on it. There's sometimes a bit of a transition into making a phone your daily driver. :)

I'd imagine that once you have it set up like your Nexus 6P, it'll be your go-to.

--

I think the realization hit that:

-I think I ordered things too soon instead of waiting a bit for the kinks to be ironed out
-This device really don't bring anything new to the table (well I mean it does, the camera and a few other goodies)
-Almost all my devices are set up pretty much the same way (I know...) See previous
-I am almost afraid to use it in the real world because of potential breakage (should look into a case)
-At least 3 more updates are on the way (1 for the screen stuff, the most recent, 2nd for the December patch then 3rd would probably be 8.1)
-No working twrp yet and a what looks to me a one-time root method which is a pain to keep up with and may not work with newer updates (see previous) Not the phones fault, but mine since I wanted root. And a more open phone (seems android is getting more and more closed off however. Development is going very slow for some reason.

Maybe things will get a bit better once a stable root (persistent) and TWRP are released if they are. Also irksome that SuperSU has been sold off, but magisk seems to be a viable option.

As you can see, the issues I listed have very little to do with the phone itself. The issues are USER. The design of the phone is nice, though it does feel fragile.

I don't want to get too far in with the device and find I need to wipe the thing completely

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Thinking about it, I remember seeing banding in this room with LED lighting in pictures on the iPhone 8 I had for a few days.

I can notice the blue tint quite a bit off angle, but it doesn't bother me.

Does anyone know if the reason I can't move mutliple apps at once is because of Oreo, or is that just a feature of the Samsung?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
--

I think the realization hit that:

-I think I ordered things too soon instead of waiting a bit for the kinks to be ironed out
-This device really don't bring anything new to the table (well I mean it does, the camera and a few other goodies)
-Almost all my devices are set up pretty much the same way (I know...) See previous
-I am almost afraid to use it in the real world because of potential breakage (should look into a case)
-At least 3 more updates are on the way (1 for the screen stuff, the most recent, 2nd for the December patch then 3rd would probably be 8.1)
-No working twrp yet and a what looks to me a one-time root method which is a pain to keep up with and may not work with newer updates (see previous) Not the phones fault, but mine since I wanted root. And a more open phone (seems android is getting more and more closed off however. Development is going very slow for some reason.

Maybe things will get a bit better once a stable root (persistent) and TWRP are released if they are. Also irksome that SuperSU has been sold off, but magisk seems to be a viable option.

As you can see, the issues I listed have very little to do with the phone itself. The issues are USER. The design of the phone is nice, though it does feel fragile.

I don't want to get too far in with the device and find I need to wipe the thing completely
I can barely operate my home theater system so I’m not one to claim to be an expert or even educated novice when it comes to rooting Android phones. But the impression I’ve picked up from the comments I’ve come across is that a lot of the people who were keen to develop for the Nexus in the past are reluctant to be as daringly experimental with the Pixels due to what they see as an outrageously inflated cost and they’re also a bit put off by what they see as pandering to a more iPhone type of consumer...lol, which would be me. So that MIGHT explain why development is going slow. @Tig Bitties would have better insight into this than I can hope to offer.

The phone is more sturdy than JerryRig Everything’s demonstration of snapping it in pieces might indicate. My husband had no trouble carrying it around in pockets with a very cheap folio case on it. I had a very cheap TPU case on my smaller Pixel 2. We are by no means harsh on phones but we are pretty average in our handling of them and the two models of second generation Pixels survived over a week with both of us.

I returned mine for the defective camera performance and would have replaced it immediately if not for a couple of things. I want to have some extra money going into the holidays this year. And I inadvertently got more interested in the iPhone X than I expected to. When I’m in the position to get another phone again I don’t know which one I want to get. Sometimes I’m absolutely sure I’ll get the X. Sometimes the Panda. Sometimes I’m sure it’s absolutely ridiculous to get anything at all and I should stay put with what I have and take my husband’s iPhone X when he upgrades. Which was the original plan, until I saw the Pixel debut and fell in love with all of the promise it holds. I’m 51 years old and should be far, far more levelheaded about these blasted phones. Instead, I’m like a kid in a candy store.

I did also want to pause and see how Google handles all the issues that crop up in these phones. It really bugs me that I don’t know what precisely was wrong with mine. It performed normally overall but really struggled with video performance. I wish the return period were longer so I could have held onto it longer and puzzled it all out.

Reactions: slitherjef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.