Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
@GrumpyMom Almost all the lights in the house are LED. I've tried the video on all resolutions and the result is the same in my room. Strangely, in one of the rooms with LED lights (slightly different type to the rest), there's no flicker.

Tried video on all resolutions using the Note 8 and not even a hint of flicker.

I admit, I'm a fussy person but I don't go looking for probelms. This is just far too severe to ignore and hope an update fixes it. I've read all about screen burn, blue tint (which I can see at some angles but am fine with), colour problems but none of that has been a probelm.

I'm tempted to purchase another now to see if it's maybe a hit or miss thing. I'm going away in 4 weeks, so need to know I have a fully working phone with me. It really is a great phone.
I think not all LEDs will cause problems. I have a few older sets of LED string lights and they flicker noticeably. Especially if I move them a bit. Then I really can see some flicker.

I think the bulb I have in my lamp, the one that I have pictured in a previous post, doesn’t flicker enough to be detected with my naked eyes or the Pixel 2 camera.

My camera exhibited its defect or issue when it would have to make exposure adjustments. Then it would break up the scene into a pixelated blob for a moment or two instead of adjusting. It was unacceptable in its own way. However I have to say that when it had normal responses there was incredible sharpness and detail to what it did capture.

Oh and then there was the weird shaky panning it did. I don’t think my husband’s Pixel had any difficulty panning. So I believe something was amiss with my particular Pixel 2 camera.

I wonder if the smaller white Pixel 2 will ever come back in stock. I was surprised to see it was unavailable the last time I looked. That’s a nice looking phone too.

Reactions: michael9891

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I could hear the processor in almost all of my phones if I stuck them up to my ear and everything else is quiet. I don’t remember hearing any pops on my Pixel 2 when I had it. Music quality was good on the speakers. Call quality was okay, average, medium. Meaning there was some background noise. I get that with iPhones too though. I sound like a broken record because I have posted this so many places but only my HTC 10 has ever given me pure crystal clear audio both from and to my callers on phone calls. Everything else has static or hiss or is broken up from time to time.
thanks so much for the input.

Reactions: 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
If the Note had been the same, I might have let it go. But then again, I'd hate to record video of something important to me later down the line and have it ruined when I know not everyone has this issue.

Tried uploading a video here but couldn't get it to work.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I just noticed something. Google plus don't seem to be installed on my pixel. Am I missing something? Or did Google finally give us a choice if we want the app? I'm ok with no Google plus, I never used it but heard we needed it for photo backup on the Nexus phones.

Oh got the prompt overnight for the ota. I'll probably sit on that for a bit to see where development goes. I ditched the pixel launcher for Nova

Edit:
Guess I looked at the wrong device this morning, still no ota for my pixel. I'm ok with that for now :)

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I just noticed something. Google plus don't seem to be installed on my pixel. Am I missing something? Or did Google finally give us a choice if we want the app? I'm ok with no Google plus, I never used it but heard we needed it for photo backup on the Nexus phones.

Oh got the prompt overnight for the ota. I'll probably sit on that for a bit to see where development goes. I ditched the pixel launcher for Nova

I remember not too long ago that Google Plus was removed from the list of default apps on Pixels / AOSP. I'd have to dig up the article.

EDIT, here's an article from 2 years ago, although, I thought what I read was more recent.
https://www.androidcentral.com/your-new-phone-will-have-less-google-bloatware-and-thats-awesome

Article said:
Recent changes to the rules phone makers need to follow to get a Google approved version of Android have allowed for certain apps to no longer be mandatory. Google Play Games, Google Play Books, Google+ and Google Newsstand now join the ranks with Google Earth and Google Keep as apps that aren't a required part of the Google applications package. They are still in the Play Store, are still regularly updated and will work just as well for those of us who want them.

Last edited:
Reactions: slitherjef

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
As a sign that I finally got it, here's a picture.

IMG_20171115_131146.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As a sign that I finally got it, here's a picture.

View attachment 735935
Awww! I have always wanted an orange kitty! Since 1990 or 91, working with my parents, I’ve rescued and/or adopted over 30 cats, probably more—it is hard to tally up. I’ve always just managed to miss the chance to get an orange kitty. I end up with grays and black and black and white and tortoiseshell. And grey striped. My dogs have all been either all white, or all black and the one now is black and white. Funny how that works out. I don’t pick according to color so it just happens that way.

Please post more pics as you get the chance.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I went with the XL. And so far, the screen issues seem overstated, I like the camera, and it's fast. Those are super quick thoughts, though.

Edit: selfie portrait...

View attachment 735980
That selfie turned out amazing! It does not look like the typical pic from a front facing camera. I liked my “selfies” from my Pixel 2,too. My 7 Plus pics can look so indistinct. My Samsung ones are comical because they still impose a beauty mode even if you turn off all the beauty settings to be found. “Blurry indistinct me” is no better than “in focus me” so they weren’t doing me any favors!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That selfie turned out amazing! It does not look like the typical pic from a front facing camera. I liked my “selfies” from my Pixel 2,too. My 7 Plus pics can look so indistinct. My Samsung ones are comical because they still impose a beauty mode even if you turn off all the beauty settings to be found. “Blurry indistinct me” is no better than “in focus me” so they weren’t doing me any favors!

Thanks. It's a shame Google hasn't done enough machine learning to figure out how to fix faces that would scare children. But maybe some day.

Reactions: 5105973

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Man I hate Google's distribution system, but I should have expected it. My XL was supposed to ship November 14 but now it says delayed. At the very moment I was reading that on my laptop I realized I left my Nexus 6 in my coat that was 45 minutes through a 60 minute wash cycle. :eek: On the bright side the Nexus 6 came out alive and functional. :D I want my phone damnit, that was a close call.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Is anyone running Pixel with their Macs - in particular with iTunes and Photos app? If so, how do you find the 2 interact with each other?

I used to have a Nexus 5 but got fed up with compatibility issues. Especially with Photos as when I transferred photos from the nexus to Photos app I'd have loads of thumbnails which I'd then have to identify and then delete.

I want a Pixel but couldn't go through all that hassle again!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Man I hate Google's distribution system, but I should have expected it. My XL was supposed to ship November 14 but now it says delayed. At the very moment I was reading that on my laptop I realized I left my Nexus 6 in my coat that was 45 minutes through a 60 minute wash cycle. :eek: On the bright side the Nexus 6 came out alive and functional. :D I want my phone damnit, that was a close call.
Is the Nexus 6 water resistant? :eek: I didn’t think it was. Lol, on Amazon it’s listed as low as the $200’s to $999 :eek: Weird. I was trying to get a quick look at the specs since I’m not familiar with it. I’m glad it survived. I wonder what the delay is on your new phone.
[doublepost=1510883498][/doublepost]Has anyone ordered the new earbuds? I was disappointed about the reviews. The dude at Android Central didn’t seem blown away. The demo with Google Translate was so cool, but everyone says they prefer Google Translate the way it is off the phone. “Everyone” being people who don’t even have them yet, so I’ll take such remarks accordingly.

I don’t like the looks of how it is meant to be fitted to the ear. That looks uncomfortable, but I guess that’s one of those things that need to be tried rather than dismissed out of hand.

Edit...never mind...found the PixelBuds thread again....

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Is anyone running Pixel with their Macs - in particular with iTunes and Photos app? If so, how do you find the 2 interact with each other?

I used to have a Nexus 5 but got fed up with compatibility issues. Especially with Photos as when I transferred photos from the nexus to Photos app I'd have loads of thumbnails which I'd then have to identify and then delete.

Sorry to bump this up, but anyone here using the above?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

I don't use a Mac any more, but I'm just curious why you wouldn't just use Google Photos and Google Music?

You can transfer from iTunes to Google Music: https://play.google.com/intl/en-US_us/about/music/unlock/
You can also use the "Backup and Sync" app from Google for your photos: https://photos.google.com/apps

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I don't use a Mac any more, but I'm just curious why you wouldn't just use Google Photos and Google Music?

You can transfer from iTunes to Google Music: https://play.google.com/intl/en-US_us/about/music/unlock/
You can also use the "Backup and Sync" app from Google for your photos: https://photos.google.com/apps

Thanks for such a helpful reply.

I use a mac for my work (film editing) and so rather stupidly I fell into the Apple eco system. I bought a lot of music and films on iTunes. Have a zillion and two photos on Photos app.

If all.of the above can be transferred over then I'm off to buy a Pixel :) It'll be even better of there are apps for my Mac for Google photos and Google music.

PS If memory serves me well, Google Photos is a cloud based service. If so I'm stuffed as my photos library is about 75gb!!! Maybe a lot more now! I have no idea how big my music folder is!!!

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

I use a mac for my work (film editing) and so rather stupidly I fell into the Apple eco system. I bought a lot of music and films on iTunes. Have a zillion and two photos on Photos app.

If all.of the above can be transferred over then I'm off to buy a Pixel :) It'll be even better of there are apps for my Mac for Google photos and Google music.

PS If memory serves me well, Google Photos is a cloud based service. If so I'm stuffed as my photos library is about 75gb!!! Maybe a lot more now! I have no idea how big my music folder is!!!

If you buy a Pixel 2, part of the package is free unlimited photo storage of highest resolution.
I guess would meant Pixel 2?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

I understand about falling into the Apple ecosystem as I've done that in the past myself. I'm slowly climbing out of that currently, all that's left is for me to move my email away. But it's tough when I have an "@me.com" address I've been using for awhile and it's so easy/simple to give somebody my email address due to that. Getting off topic though.

The music can be moved over to Google Music as per that link. Depending on what you want to do with the films but you could leave those on iTunes or move them onto your phone.

For the photos, my recommendation would actually be to move them from your Mac onto your Pixel first then upload them to Google from there as you would get the unlimited photo storage as long as it's uploaded from the phone. I don't believe the requirement is that the photos have to be taken with a Pixel in order to qualify for the free unlimited storage, but I could be wrong. Since you have 75GB worth of photos, you'd probably want to pick up a 128GB Pixel.

If you buy a Pixel 2, part of the package is free unlimited photo storage of highest resolution.
I guess would meant Pixel 2?
I believe the Pixel qualifies for lifetime free but the Pixel 2 is only until 2020.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...o-uploads-original-pixels-grandfathered-life/

Reactions: scouser75 and deany

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Returned the iPhone X, eyeing XL2. We’ll see, not even sure if I can get one at my local Verizon stores at this point if I like it after playing around with the demo.

Best Buy is bone dry, checked local stores on their website for availability.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas

I used a USB c thumb drive to transfer videos from my Mac to my Pixel 2 XL. I'm assuming you could go the other way as well.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
But that’s just for pictures taken on the Pixel itself and not pictures you already have.

Cloud storage is good and all but you still have to download it, which takes up space on the device.
I've read comments on other sites that if you first transfer the photos to the Pixel then upload them to Google Photos from the phone it doesn't count against your storage.

Reactions: deany

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
But that’s just for pictures taken on the Pixel itself and not pictures you already have.

Cloud storage is good and all but you still have to download it, which takes up space on the device.

How about uploading them to Flickr? Tons of free space for free and can easily access them on your phone.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I've read comments on other sites that if you first transfer the photos to the Pixel then upload them to Google Photos from the phone it doesn't count against your storage.

This is true. I do it all the time.

OG Pixel is my upload workhorse for free full resolution storage. I came back from Japan and China in the summer with 130gb of 24mp RAWs which upped without issue.

OG Pixel is a keeper for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.