Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I've read comments on other sites that if you first transfer the photos to the Pixel then upload them to Google Photos from the phone it doesn't count against your storage.
How about uploading them to Flickr? Tons of free space for free and can easily access them on your phone.

To me, still not the same as on board storage. I prefer to have a lot of pics on my device and not an external site. Phone memory being a preference and if not, SD card.

I've actually found tonight that the Pixel 2XL photo app crashes if I scroll too quickly through a folder on the phone with 4.5k pics in it. First phone I've that's had issues with that.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
To me, still not the same as on board storage. I prefer to have a lot of pics on my device and not an external site. Phone memory being a preference and if not, SD card.

I've actually found tonight that the Pixel 2XL photo app crashes if I scroll too quickly through a folder on the phone with 4.5k pics in it. First phone I've that's had issues with that.
You'd still have the image on the device assuming you had enough device storage. But yes they could all stay in the cloud if that was preferred. Thanks for the information about the app crashing, that's not good news especially with Google promoting the unlimited storage. Hopefully that will get fixed.

Reactions: michael9891

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
You'd still have the image on the device assuming you had enough device storage. But yes they could all stay in the cloud if that was preferred. Thanks for the information about the app crashing, that's not good news especially with Google promoting the unlimited storage. Hopefully that will get fixed.

Just to be clear, that folder isn't backed up to their online storage. It's one I transferred to the phone by usb (which took about 4 hours for 9gb, 4.5k pics which is crazy).

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I think I need to do some research before diving in. As much as I absolutely loved my Nexus 5, the hassle of pictures and music was an absolute PITA!

For some reason (maybe old age) I like to have my music and pics on my computer's hard drive.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I've found the microphone on the 2XL to be extremely sensitive. Slight movement of my finger on the fabric case taking a video spoils it completely. And just standing still, you can hear some kind of hiss.

Google have said they'll send a replacement phone but im not sure I want to bother. It really is a great phone and such a joy to use. But the issues I have with it make it more difficult to justify swapping a phone I already love for it. Especially when a few hundred is involved.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think I need to do some research before diving in. As much as I absolutely loved my Nexus 5, the hassle of pictures and music was an absolute PITA!

For some reason (maybe old age) I like to have my music and pics on my computer's hard drive.
Nexus 5? I HIGHLY recommend running Google Photos and backing up all your photos safely to the cloud. Then, when you get a Pixel, your photos will all be there.

It's not like Apple Photos, it's 100x better.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've found the microphone on the 2XL to be extremely sensitive. Slight movement of my finger on the fabric case taking a video spoils it completely. And just standing still, you can hear some kind of hiss.

Google have said they'll send a replacement phone but im not sure I want to bother. It really is a great phone and such a joy to use. But the issues I have with it make it more difficult to justify swapping a phone I already love for it. Especially when a few hundred is involved.
Are you concerned you might receive another buggy device? That was my concern and one of the reasons I opted for a full out return instead of an exchange. And I wanted to get an XL sized one. But that gave me pause, too, because it was just seeming that the odds of getting a replacement with some other issue might be high given that there is a laundry list now of things Google needs to fix, above and beyond the random weird issue my Pixel 2 had. I decided to wait at least a couple of months and see how this all works out. And now I’m interested in the IPhone X and the 8 Plus (again). Reading about them is fun, anyway.

Meanwhile my 7 Plus is serving me well. It has been acting a little strange on Thursday and I had to reboot numerous times. But that’s iOS 11 these days. I did get the latest update installed to my iPad mini 4 and now it runs smoother. I’ll update my iPhone later.

My Samsung is chugging along, too. I wanted to swap in my HTC 10 for awhile, but I decided to do that after the holidays because my S8+ takes better pictures and videos.

Well, I’m sorry to hear you are having some issues. I empathize. Truly I do. My heart sank quite a bit when I realized I was going to be saddled with video problems on my Pixel 2. It was otherwise such a nice little phone. The return deadline came upon me faster than I would have liked. Even with the video defect I was having fun with it. I hadn’t even fully set it up yet. I knew I wanted to try different things with it but never got the chance. I was busier than I’d have liked while I had it. Too much on the go.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Are you concerned you might receive another buggy device? That was my concern and one of the reasons I opted for a full out return instead of an exchange. And I wanted to get an XL sized one. But that gave me pause, too, because it was just seeming that the odds of getting a replacement with some other issue might be high given that there is a laundry list now of things Google needs to fix, above and beyond the random weird issue my Pixel 2 had. I decided to wait at least a couple of months and see how this all works out. And now I’m interested in the IPhone X and the 8 Plus (again). Reading about them is fun, anyway.

Meanwhile my 7 Plus is serving me well. It has been acting a little strange on Thursday and I had to reboot numerous times. But that’s iOS 11 these days. I did get the latest update installed to my iPad mini 4 and now it runs smoother. I’ll update my iPhone later.

My Samsung is chugging along, too. I wanted to swap in my HTC 10 for awhile, but I decided to do that after the holidays because my S8+ takes better pictures and videos.

Well, I’m sorry to hear you are having some issues. I empathize. Truly I do. My heart sank quite a bit when I realized I was going to be saddled with video problems on my Pixel 2. It was otherwise such a nice little phone. The return deadline came upon me faster than I would have liked. Even with the video defect I was having fun with it. I hadn’t even fully set it up yet. I knew I wanted to try different things with it but never got the chance. I was busier than I’d have liked while I had it. Too much on the go.

I just don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle of loading up another phone with all my pics and the real possibility of the issues I'm having not being just my device. I'm going on holiday in less than 4 weeks and need to know I have a smartphone I can rely on.

The microphone being sensitive, I can't see that being down to my specific to my device. Maybe the hiss I could hear is a fault, I don't know.

The led light flickering is strange. Some camera apps show it and some don't. I downloaded one called DSLR zoom and set it to 4k, no flickering at all. So I could just use that when I want to take video.

Definitely not happy Google photos crashes when scrolling too quickly through on board storage folders with lots of pics. Never had issues with iPhones doing this.

Trying to compare the cameras and both the Note and Pixel have good and bad points. Sometimes I think the Pixel oversharpens on the front camera but still not keen on the lack of detail and brightness on the Note. HDR is switched off on both. There's not enough difference on the main camera to sway it in a big way one or the other. Certain things (wood floor springs to mind) definitely has more detail on the Pixel.

And then there's the £300 price difference between the 2. If the Pixel was night and day better for me, cost wouldn't be a factor. Maybe I should be happy with what I have and put that money towards something else.

Reactions: 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I just don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle of loading up another phone with all my pics and the real possibility of the issues I'm having not being just my device. I'm going on holiday in less than 4 weeks and need to know I have a smartphone I can rely on.

The microphone being sensitive, I can't see that being down to my specific to my device. Maybe the hiss I could hear is a fault, I don't know.

The led light flickering is strange. Some camera apps show it and some don't. I downloaded one called DSLR zoom and set it to 4k, no flickering at all. So I could just use that when I want to take video.

Definitely not happy Google photos crashes when scrolling too quickly through on board storage folders with lots of pics. Never had issues with iPhones doing this.

Trying to compare the cameras and both the Note and Pixel have good and bad points. Sometimes I think the Pixel oversharpens on the front camera but still not keen on the lack of detail and brightness on the Note. HDR is switched off on both. There's not enough difference on the main camera to sway it in a big way one or the other. Certain things (wood floor springs to mind) definitely has more detail on the Pixel.

And then there's the £300 price difference between the 2. If the Pixel was night and day better for me, cost wouldn't be a factor. Maybe I should be happy with what I have and put that money towards something else.

But HDR+ is what makes Google's camera great...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just got back from Verizon but this store would not sell it to me outright. I am pretty sure another would as I inquired there when they first put the XL2 on display so who knows.

I tried browsing, some games (Playstore was available) and YouTube videos. Scratching my head at reports of not having a good display, that is not my feeling.

Smooth operation even for a demo model. It is a bit large but pretty much I’m ok with the size. I did not try the camera, not really a pics guy and I would only be snapping at in store stuff anyway.

I can see myself getting one in the near future. I have to sell my 1st gen XL first though.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I was too. I like HDR+ on the front camera. Have you tried HDR+ Enhanced? Can't wait for the PVC to come online and make that super fast.

Yes and I find that worse. Just makes faces look overprocessed.
[doublepost=1511028718][/doublepost]Just used iSyncr to put all my iTunes playlists onto the Pixel. 4 copied and the rest failed. Tried the same on my Note and had no problems. Maybe I do have a faulty device.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Just got back from Verizon but this store would not sell it to me outright. I am pretty sure another would as I inquired there when they first put the XL2 on display so who knows.

I tried browsing, some games (Playstore was available) and YouTube videos. Scratching my head at reports of not having a good display, that is not my feeling.

Smooth operation even for a demo model. It is a bit large but pretty much I’m ok with the size. I did not try the camera, not really a pics guy and I would only be snapping at in store stuff anyway.

I can see myself getting one in the near future. I have to sell my 1st gen XL first though.
Do you have a Verizon account? Usually they won't sell it without one. If you have a verizon account, then you could always just get it on a device payment plan then pay it off immediately.

Reactions: AppleRobert

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
How are y'all posting pics here. All of mine straight from the phone are too large?

I use this app.
Screenshot_20171119-000946.jpg

Reactions: nospleen

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Nexus 5? I HIGHLY recommend running Google Photos and backing up all your photos safely to the cloud. Then, when you get a Pixel, your photos will all be there.

It's not like Apple Photos, it's 100x better.
Unfortunately, I'm currently using an iPhone 6. I had the nexus 5 3 years ago.

I need a Google Photos app for my Mac Pro. Or some desktop app that can store all my photos on my computer

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Unfortunately, I'm currently using an iPhone 6. I had the nexus 5 3 years ago.

I need a Google Photos app for my Mac Pro. Or some desktop app that can store all my photos on my computer
Just got to photos.google.com on your Mac and upload your pics. Google photos is the best, no walled garden bs, it will let you access your photos and videos on any device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.