Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Were there many problems with the original Pixels? Aside from availability!

It's easy to forget the issues the original Pixel had, aside from availability. Good article on it:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...e-big-flaw-still-favorite-android-phone-ever/

"The original Pixel had significant flaws, and in spite of them, I still thought it was the best smartphone I'd ever used."

Now, I'm not excusing Google from some of the issues cropping up on the Pixel 2's. Seems to be par for the course for Google though in terms of hardware. My Pixel 2 XL is an absolute joy to use and I don't have any issues apart from some slight image retention I saw today when I went looking for it.

Edit: had to complete my sentence. Apparently it got cut off.

Last edited:

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
My return period ends tomorrow. The camera is too good for me to return. The extra year of warranty gives me some peace of mind on the hardware front.

I've been playing with my wife's iPhone X and it is nice. I can't place my finger on why, but I don't like it enough to get rid of the 2XL.

Here's a pic of a bench I built for my wife today. It was made from some recently cut down cedars and some old recycled wood from the corral on our property.

Attachments

• IMG_20171120_174801-2016x1512.jpg
    IMG_20171120_174801-2016x1512.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Welp, been using my XL 2 a bit more and more lately for my general tasks like Twitter and YouTube and web. Also digging the camera, I'll have to pull some images to post here, but find I can't upload because they are too large.

Also almost shoehorned twrp on this puppy tonight, got everything ready, went to flash the zip for twrp and double checked the post on xda to make sure and I had to stop since I'm rooted, so, I need to flash the stock boot image (and hopefully not system) before I install twrp.

If I am going that route, I might as well find the ota and flash that. Or skip twrp for now.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
It's easy to forget the issues the original Pixel had, aside from availability. Good article on it:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...e-big-flaw-still-favorite-android-phone-ever/

"The original Pixel had significant flaws, and in spite of them, I still thought it was the best smartphone I'd ever used."

Now, I'm not excusing Google from some of the issues cropping up on the Pixel 2's. Seems to be par for the course for Google though in terms of hardware. My Pixel 2 XL is an absolute joy to use and I don't have any issues apart from some slight image retention I saw today when I went looking for it.

Edit: had to complete my sentence. Apparently it got cut off.
Im still using my XL OG for 10months now.
Until now i still.love the camera...

But after oreo i have a lot of issue on connections...
I reset my phone after oreo because of massive battery drain...

But my connections keeps on dropping..
My signal is dropping to 3G..
Wifi also dropping...
BT is the worst.. connecting but no sound coming out of my headset.. i need to reboot the phone before it works as per normal....

If not this all connection issue i will be happy to use my pixel for another yr...
Looking to get XL 2 but i read in the google forums BT issues still persist.....

Eyeing for note 8... To replace my OG pixel XL..
I was note 7 refugee before i jumped into pixel line.....

I had iphone X for a week...
I liked it.. but i still need android for some purpose ...

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Is the 2xL worth trading in the original in for? A bit uneasy about all the hardware issues that have been reported with this phone. Anyone trade theirs in for the 2XL?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My return period ends tomorrow. The camera is too good for me to return. The extra year of warranty gives me some peace of mind on the hardware front.

I've been playing with my wife's iPhone X and it is nice. I can't place my finger on why, but I don't like it enough to get rid of the 2XL.

Here's a pic of a bench I built for my wife today. It was made from some recently cut down cedars and some old recycled wood from the corral on our property.
Awesome bench and awesome photo of it! I really do love how Pixel 2 cameras grab textures so richly.
[doublepost=1511241864][/doublepost]
Im still using my XL OG for 10months now.
Until now i still.love the camera...

But after oreo i have a lot of issue on connections...
I reset my phone after oreo because of massive battery drain...

But my connections keeps on dropping..
My signal is dropping to 3G..
Wifi also dropping...
BT is the worst.. connecting but no sound coming out of my headset.. i need to reboot the phone before it works as per normal....

If not this all connection issue i will be happy to use my pixel for another yr...
Looking to get XL 2 but i read in the google forums BT issues still persist.....

Eyeing for note 8... To replace my OG pixel XL..
I was note 7 refugee before i jumped into pixel line.....

I had iphone X for a week...
I liked it.. but i still need android for some purpose ...
I have not yet tried to put Oreo on any of my Androids. My Pixel 2 was my only experience of Oreo. I don’t even know if I can get it for my S8+ yet. I am sorry to hear you’re running into problems and a bit shocked. When my husband had to update an old Nexus tablet to Marshmallow last year it worked great. I just took it for granted an Android update would work well on a Google phone.

Battery drain was a problem I had for awhile with one of the iOS updates on my 7 Plus. Thankfully they fixed it but it was awhile. Grr. I hope you can get your issues sorted out very soon.

Reactions: jamezr and nospleen

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Is the 2xL worth trading in the original in for? A bit uneasy about all the hardware issues that have been reported with this phone. Anyone trade theirs in for the 2XL?

Verizon is taking off 50% of the monthly phone payments if you trade in the 1st gen XL, I did it yesterday.

I have been trying it the last few days at Verizon stores, nothing rang out to me as a showstopper for me not to want to do that deal. I can always return it but I at this point do not see any issues that would make me want to.

It is a big phone but the bezels on the 1st gen really started eating into me so sayonara to that one. The display on the 2 XL is fine by me, my feeling is that reports on its quality are blown way out of proportion. I have read many reviews from owners mimicking that feeling as well.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Verizon is taking off 50% of the monthly phone payments if you trade in the 1st gen XL, I did it yesterday.

I have been trying it the last few days at Verizon stores, nothing rang out to me as a showstopper for me not to want to do that deal. I can always return it but I at this point do not see any issues that would make me want to.

It is a big phone but the bezels on the 1st gen really started eating into me so sayonara to that one. The display on the 2 XL is fine by me, my feeling is that reports on its quality are blown way out of proportion. I have read many reviews from owners mimicking that feeling as well.

yeah, while there is definitely some bad displays out there, overall, it seems some of the issues have been overblown. I don't have any issues with my display and quite enjoy using it day to day. I love the size and form factor, especially come from the Note (way too tall for my liking but definitely an exceptional phone!).

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Am I right in thinking there’s no way of hiding the home, back & app switcher buttons that are always on the screen without messing around with adb and that kind of stuff?

Because surely those buttons are most likely to cause screen burn after a while. I would have thought Google would have added an auto hide option (like how the Note has).

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Am I right in thinking there’s no way of hiding the home, back & app switcher buttons that are always on the screen without messing around with adb and that kind of stuff?

Because surely those buttons are most likely to cause screen burn after a while. I would have thought Google would have added an auto hide option (like how the Note has).
I'm not certain that there is a sure-fire way to hide the nav bar without root. There are a few apps on the Play Store that you are free to try out. You can always uninstall them if you'd like. Search the Play Store for "Immersive Mode." That's the actual name of the mode your phone enters when the nav bars disappear (like on YouTube).

HOWEVER. Android 8.1 is changing the behavior of the nav bar and soft keys to mitigate burn in. The nav bar will change colors depending on the app you're in, and the soft keys will dim (not disappear) when you aren't touching them.

EDIT -- I've seen 8.1 change the color of the nav bar in some of the native Google Apps (it changes to white). I'm not certain that it will offer every app the ability to change the nav bar. TBD. Soft button dimming is still system-wide.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Just like the first 2 XL I had, this one doesn’t like me scrolling through pics in the Google photos app quickly using the slider on the right side. Not a major problem but it shouldn’t keep crashing. If a £50 sd card can handle it, I’d expect a phone hard drive to.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just like the first 2 XL I had, this one doesn’t like me scrolling through pics in the Google photos app quickly using the slider on the right side. Not a major problem but it shouldn’t keep crashing. If a £50 sd card can handle it, I’d expect a phone hard drive to.
The second one is doing this, too? :eek::confused: I can’t say it happened to me, but then I was picking through my pictures slowly when I had it. I don’t recall any funky behavior except in the Star Trek game I tried to test.

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Is the Nexus 6 water resistant? :eek: I didn’t think it was. Lol, on Amazon it’s listed as low as the $200’s to $999 :eek: Weird. I was trying to get a quick look at the specs since I’m not familiar with it. I’m glad it survived. I wonder what the delay is on your new phone.
Nexus 6 wasn't advertised as water resistant but it was somewhat thankfully.

In my frustration of waiting for my delayed XL 2 I went and got one from my carrier and tried cancelling the Google order but couldn't.

Anyways, the one I got had horrible NFC sensitivity and that's something I must have. I literally had to rub the phone on the NFC chips and only half would read eventually. The other half didn't read at all.

Coming from the Nexus 6 the narrower screen is hard to accept but I could have adapted had NFC been acceptable. I returned the device to the carrier.

I will give the one that is now shipping from Google a shot, but if NFC is unreliable again I may just continue with the Nexus 6 another year.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The second one is doing this, too? :eek::confused: I can’t say it happened to me, but then I was picking through my pictures slowly when I had it. I don’t recall any funky behavior except in the Star Trek game I tried to test.

I've been finding the software on the Pixel to, overall, be less polished than the Samsung software. I don't know what's up with that.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Verizon's 50% off several Android phones in the form of bill credits this Black Friday still isn't worth it for me. Carriers should just offer them 50% that day especially AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint that still have it locked to the network. Androids will drop to $400 within a year anyway.

I like the Pixel 2 XL but not enough to be stuck paying Verizon for the next two years. Google has surpassed both Samsung and Apple in camera quality and battery life. Two areas the Nexus series were weak in.

Just that display. If you can live with it and no microSD slot, then it's arguably the best Android phone there is right now. Superior to the cheaper 3T and Essential thanks to class-leading optics and battery life.

Waiting on Google to offer us tri lens. I want 5x optical zoom and wide-angle. I believe Google could excel in optical zoom or even digital zoom thanks to how great their algorithms is with HDR+ software and Google Photos high quality.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Verizon's 50% off several Android phones in the form of bill credits this Black Friday still isn't worth it for me. Carriers should just offer them 50% that day especially AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint that still have it locked to the network. Androids will drop to $400 within a year anyway.

I like the Pixel 2 XL but not enough to be stuck paying Verizon for the next two years. Google has surpassed both Samsung and Apple in camera quality and battery life. Two areas the Nexus series were weak in.

Just that display. If you can live with it and no microSD slot, then it's arguably the best Android phone there is right now. Superior to the cheaper 3T and Essential thanks to class-leading optics and battery life.

Waiting on Google to offer us tri lens. I want 5x optical zoom and wide-angle. I believe Google could excel in optical zoom or even digital zoom thanks to how great their algorithms is with HDR+ software and Google Photos high quality.

I highly doubt Google is going to throw more lenses at the problem. They seem to want to use the phones as vessels for their software prowess. Is there even the amount of internal space required in the Pixel 2 to fit a second lens in there considering it isn't as simple as just cutting the case different? How much space is left according to iFixit?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I highly doubt Google is going to throw more lenses at the problem. They seem to want to use the phones as vessels for their software prowess. Is there even the amount of internal space required in the Pixel 2 to fit a second lens in there considering it isn't as simple as just cutting the case different? How much space is left according to iFixit?
They can just use the space previously occupied by the headphone jack :rolleyes: Ugh.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Has any of you tried the pixel buds? Are they as bad as the reviews say they are?

I enjoy my AirPods, I like that I can use them across devices with minimal effort and don't expect pixel buds to perform as seamlessly as the APs do in my personal computing ecosystem but the reviews make me question whether or not I want to even try them with the pixel...I think at $99 I probably wouldn't hesitate to give them a try.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Yeah. I have some folders with lots of pics and sometimes want to quickly scroll toward the bottom to view them. Just a bit annoying.

It's clearly a software issue.

I hope so! It's only an app crash and doesn't require a reboot or anything.

Reactions: 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I have noticed when recording video, the sound can be a little weird (high pitched and tinny). Does anyone know if Google have talked about a fix for this? My phone is definitely up to date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.