Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
For me, I had to choose between Pixel vs Mac, so I chose Mac with Android phone having microSD card.

I don't want to keep going to my parents' home to use their Windows PC to add files on it.

Can you explain this further?

You can add files anyway you want with android?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Finally a photo from the XL 2!

I pulled the image to my Ubuntu box and used darktable (may find a new program) to resize the image by about 75% at a high quality. Shot with the HDR mode and for the most part otherwise straight out of the camera. Yeah, not nat geo composition or subject matter but a pretty sunset is a pretty sunset...

Not sure if I can do raw file output on the pixel or not, would be nice if we could.
pixeltest_01.jpg

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
For me, I had to choose between Pixel vs Mac, so I chose Mac with Android phone having microSD card.

I don't want to keep going to my parents' home to use their Windows PC to add files on it. The Pixel 2 XL is also too tall for me. I could settle for the smaller Pixel 2 but it looks too boring. Gotta get the panda! Just had Panda Express earlier today. Hehe.. ;)

Now if you compare the Verizon 50% off deal with bill credits vs iPhone X's Walmart deal with a free $300 gift card, the Verizon one is the better deal even with the bill credits. If you are willing to make Verizon your carrier for the next two years, then it's a no-brainer.

Pixel 2 XL (128 GB) = $480
iPhone X (64 GB) = $700 ($300 Walmart gift card)

You are saving more than $200 with a smartphone that is just as silky smooth as the iPhone, double storage than the 64 GB, has better camera, loud dual front speakers, charges slightly faster, and slightly longer battery life. Only area where X murders the P2XL is display.

Oh yeah, Oreo > iOS11

For me, I would rather wait for an actual discount not involving bill credits. Still a no-brainer if you want to stick with Verizon for the long haul. Much better than any BOGO deal from T-Mobile. I say go for it. Unlike Samsungs on Verizon, no carrier bloat. Unlocked to boot. It's a better Black Friday deal compared to the ones for iPhones.

Appreciate your analysis and feedback. I went with the Verizon deal beforehand but it probably will help others on the fence.

The X display versus the PXL 2? No notch watching videos and the latter does not swing half as badly as the X, with that one it is piss yellow with true tone and the color hues go from yellow to blue depending on the angle you are viewing it from.

The camera, I would be happy with either as I do not take many pics.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
$325 Pixel 2 tomorrow at Verizon is tempting. Would get in all black since the white Pixel 2 reminds me of the white iPhone 5c.

Alex Hong did a decent review for XZ1 Compact and Pixel 2. My first two choices before the iPhone X.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
$325 Pixel 2 tomorrow at Verizon is tempting. Would get in all black since the white Pixel 2 reminds me of the white iPhone 5c.

Alex Hong did a decent review for XZ1 Compact and Pixel 2. My first two choices before the iPhone X.

Could not do the smaller Pixel, 68% screen to body ratio to me is outrageous nowadays.

Black was my choice for the 2 XL.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Could not do the smaller Pixel, 68% screen to body ratio to me is outrageous nowadays.

Black was my choice for the 2 XL.
I would prefer smaller bezels myself but I'm coming from an iPhone 7 so it wasn't that bad for me. That said, my next phone better have smaller bezels.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Finally charged my battery at 5% with a couple of mins under 7 hours screen on time. Lots of web browsing, picture taking and YouTube.

Took some snaps today with the Note and Pixel. Trying to keep as fair as possible. Didn't realise how much wider the photos are on the Note until today.

It really is hard to pick a clear winner in my opinion. Some on the Note looked too bright and lacked detail compared to the Pixel when you looked closely. But then other times the Pixel shots looked too dark and the overall focus wasn't as good.

I could drive myself mad trying to decide which one I prefer. Probably made things by buying a Mate 10 Pro as well!

Reactions: co.ag.2005

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Finally charged my battery at 5% with a couple of mins under 7 hours screen on time. Lots of web browsing, picture taking and YouTube.

Took some snaps today with the Note and Pixel. Trying to keep as fair as possible. Didn't realise how much wider the photos are on the Note until today.

It really is hard to pick a clear winner in my opinion. Some on the Note looked too bright and lacked detail compared to the Pixel when you looked closely. But then other times the Pixel shots looked too dark and the overall focus wasn't as good.

I could drive myself mad trying to decide which one I prefer. Probably made things by buying a Mate 10 Pro as well!

Problem with android is too many choices, good luck in whichever you decide. Or just buy em all. :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm not one for selfies, but the front camera is pretty dang good.

Sometimes the portrait mode struggles with the outline for the bokeh. Other times, it's spot on.
That’s a very nice picture and doesn’t look at all like a “selfie”. The Pixel 2 front facing cameras/software team puts everyone else’s to shame.

Reactions: nospleen

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

And that’s because the Note was set to 16:9 by mistake! Using 9.1 of its 12mp. I wonder if the extra 3 mp will help with the detail it was lacking on some.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Second XL 2 should be shipping out Monday o_O:eek:

I figured I better jump on it and added it to my cart as I was checking out my free Google Home Mini :confused:

Actually went a little round and round with this one. I was thinking
Note 8
S8+
one plus 5t (wouldn't work on sprint)
iPhone 8+
Essential

As a replacement for my sisters note 4. She was tired of the bloat and wanted a cleaner experience with less bloat, so I ordered her an early Christmas present. She is pretty much an average user and this will allow her to test fi also since the carriers are getting a bit annoying.

--

I may also get the smaller pixel 2 for my mom a bit later on. The note 5 she has totally overwhelms her with all the updates and other junk that is on the device. With her having AT&T the switch would be pretty easy.

Reactions: 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Well, here's the update:

First, the replacement phone comes in a brand new box, sealed. Considering this and considering the fact that I am unsure about Pixel 2 XL's screen quality over time (I'm fairly certain I'll see all the same issues again), I went ahead and listed the unopened Pixel 2 XL on eBay. If all goes according to plan, I should get almost all of my money back for an unopened device. I'm going to stick with the 8 Plus for now and re-evaluate where I am next fall. Android is so much better than iOS at this point, but the hardware quality just wasn't up to the high price tag.

Reactions: 5105973

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Well, here's the update:

First, the replacement phone comes in a brand new box, sealed. Considering this and considering the fact that I am unsure about Pixel 2 XL's screen quality over time (I'm fairly certain I'll see all the same issues again), I went ahead and listed the unopened Pixel 2 XL on eBay. If all goes according to plan, I should get almost all of my money back for an unopened device. I'm going to stick with the 8 Plus for now and re-evaluate where I am next fall. Android is so much better than iOS at this point, but the hardware quality just wasn't up to the high price tag.
Thanks for the update. That's too bad but I can understand where you're coming from. I wish Google would have just stuck with HTC for both devices again. Hopefully the 3 will have better QC since the prices for these devices aren't cheap.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It can be hard to know what to think. The phones are awesome in concept but the execution is hit or miss. Lol, it’s still my favorite concept for 2017.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It can be hard to know what to think. The phones are awesome in concept but the execution is hit or miss. Lol, it’s still my favorite concept for 2017.

Agreed. The execution on the hardware level still seems poor to me.

Incredibly disappointed with the whole experience. I tried to give Google the benefit of the doubt, but the issues just became too much to tolerate.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Well my decision has come to an end on the Pixel 2 xl. I had my mind set on getting it before it was announced but got turned off by all the issues.

I then decided to wait and let Google and LG sort out their issues then I would make my purchase in December / January. I was even strongly considering the Pixel 2 instead.

However I came upon an HTC 11 with a broken glass back for 90 dollars lol. So I'm currently rocking that and this should hold me over until the pixel 3 XL.

The HTC U11 is awesome. So fast and haven't had a hick up in the week I've been using it. Was a bit difficult to get use to because I had a rear finger print scanner and on screen buttons on nexus 6p. Only thing that imo is sub-par is the front facing camera.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Disappointing. This should be an easy sell for Google. They really messed up. Too bad, the XL has elements of an amazing phone.
I have to think plenty of people did get one that didn’t have any problems and are happy. But so far in this thread a scary percentage returned theirs. Mine seemed perfect until I took videos. I could have lived with the occasional yellow tinted low light pictures but that weird blobby problem on video scared me away. It happened even in good light. Mine was a Pixel 2, not the XL.

And it was an XL I decided I really wanted. I didn’t think the display on my husband’s was bad at all but the blue shift was pretty pronounced. His iPhone X has a blue shift but it’s not bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.