Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
The local Apple Store has iPhone X in stock. I am more tempted than I should be.

Haha, we all know how that is. It is a great phone, so you can’t really go wrong. I mess with my wife’s when I get the urge, but it can’t quite pull me away from the 2XL.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Haha, we all know how that is. It is a great phone, so you can’t really go wrong. I mess with my wife’s when I get the urge, but it can’t quite pull me away from the 2XL.
I bought my 8 Plus on the 20th, so I fall under the holiday return policy. I really would have to convince my wife, and I'm not convinced the device would actually be any better than my 8 Plus. Realistically, is FaceID worth $150? The screen is nice, but realistically the iPhone LCD display is incredible in its own right.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I bought my 8 Plus on the 20th, so I fall under the holiday return policy. I really would have to convince my wife, and I'm not convinced the device would actually be any better than my 8 Plus. Realistically, is FaceID worth $150? The screen is nice, but realistically the iPhone LCD display is incredible in its own right.

I'd have a hard time giving up the battery life and wider screen. I think the X Plus might be worth waiting for in your case.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Ok so I worked out my other questions. One last point. What are the average jpeg file sizes of normal photos on the pixel 2. Mine all seem to be between 1.8 and 3mb. Is this right? The doreview samples a lot were 7-8mb. Anyone know?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Ok so I worked out my other questions. One last point. What are the average jpeg file sizes of normal photos on the pixel 2. Mine all seem to be between 1.8 and 3mb. Is this right? The doreview samples a lot were 7-8mb. Anyone know?

Mine are usually 6-8mb.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If you use an iPad a lot the X will mess you up. I’m still using my 7 Plus for Animal Crossing and now I keep trying to swipe up to go to the home screen. It’s freaky how the new swipes became second nature once the X became mine. I was using my husband’s phone from time to time to see if I would like an X. Now that he’s gotten me one I know why he was so generous lending me his so much.

Face ID works probably more accurately for me than Touch ID, which was really good on my 7 Plus. No surprise there since my hands are often in bad shape from gardening and housework no matter how much I try to take care of them. Thank God I don’t have a chapped face! :eek::D I do wish Touch ID were an additional option, mainly because I’m still wary of the IR technology after all the eye pain the Samsung IR retina scanner put me through. But the facial scanning works so fast and the dots are more diluted than the Samsung iris scanner beam. So I haven’t experienced any discomfort so far from the face scanner. Since it works so well, technically I really don’t need it. I just want it, I guess. I like having options.

I’m shocked how different my display is from my husband’s. His True Tone looks good and mine looks too warm. But without True Tone I have a perfect display. No blue shift at all to speak of. It’s very similar to my 7 Plus display in that respect. His blue shifts pretty noticeably. Fortunately it’s not as bad as what he had with his Pixel 2XL so he’s quite happy with his iPhone X.

Oddly enough I’ve not tested the camera out too much. I’ve been busy. I play some Animal Crossing on random breaks and check in here. But it’s a busy time of year. This week and next I’ll be very busy at my volunteer stuff. My husband said he did do a run through to make sure everything was working like it was supposed to in case he needed to return and try and get a new one with stock still being somewhat restricted. They’re not horrible to get, but he had to reserve for pickup and go to an Apple Store further away than our usual one.

I do miss my Pixel, but with Google Assistant still available on iOS it’s not too painful. I miss squeezing the side to get at GA, though.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
We picked up this little guy yesterday. His name is Witten. We are Cowboys fans, so we had to name him after one of our favorites!

Attachments

• IMG_20171126_112732-3024x2268.jpg
    IMG_20171126_112732-3024x2268.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20171126_110028-2016x1512.jpg
    IMG_20171126_110028-2016x1512.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
We picked up this little guy yesterday. His name is Witten. We are Cowboys fans, so we had to name him after one of our favorites!
Oh he is so cute! I wish I had gotten a puppy. I got a middle aged female dog set in her ways and a total diva. It was like adopting my sister-in-law. :p (She’s so going to smack me if she reads this and figures out who I am. She does skim the forum from time to time).

The photos, of course, are very nice.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Oh he is so cute! I wish I had gotten a puppy. I got a middle aged female dog set in her ways and a total diva. It was like adopting my sister-in-law. :p (She’s so going to smack me if she reads this and figures out who I am. She does skim the forum from time to time).

The photos, of course, are very nice.

You are hilariously funny for an alleged grumpy person. :D

Reactions: Klyster and 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Does anyone else notice the weird background noise you can sometimes here when taking videos? The main sounds are fine but the little screeching noises spoil it. Only thing I can liken it to is when they pick up the sound of the Transformers signal in the first film. lol

Tried returning it today but have to go back tomorrow because of a system error. So took pics of my Note in case I change my mind. Both brilliant devices and I’ll likely wish I had the other no matter which I give up.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Does anyone else notice the weird background noise you can sometimes here when taking videos? The main sounds are fine but the little screeching noises spoil it. Only thing I can liken it to is when they pick up the sound of the Transformers signal in the first film. lol

Tried returning it today but have to go back tomorrow because of a system error. So took pics of my Note in case I change my mind. Both brilliant devices and I’ll likely wish I had the other no matter which I give up.
Yeah I’ve heard that. I can’t figure out what it could be. :confused:?? As smooth as the OIS on the video could be on the Pixel 2/2XL, it was video quirks that were the Achilles heel for me.

While there isn’t the Pixel 2 level of detail captured by the X as far as I can tell so far, the results on iOS are reliable. On Android, I’m still never quite sure I’ll get the results I’m looking for when I go in to record video. The Samsung S8+ video footage I shot of the speeches given by the grads at my daughter’s graduation was unusable due to poor audio. Similarly, on my HTC 10 it was overexposing the concert I was recording severely and I had to switch to my S7 Edge in mid-concert.

I know good video recording Android phones are out there. LG V30 and HTC U11 perhaps? Lol, I just don’t own them.

iPhone audio is poor but I can use a nice lightning mic. I’m still looking for a similar USB-C mic like the lightning one I use for my 7 Plus.

What iPhone does have going for it is the smooth integration with the awesome Apple Watch, iMessages and the ready availability of lightning connected accessories.

Reactions: michael9891

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Going with the X, huh? I have a love/hate relationship with mine, to be honest. Struggling to decide if I want to keep it or go back to Android.
A few things
1) I'll hold on to the 8 Plus for a while (I bought after the holiday return period started)
2) I want to do some reasonable comparisons
3) Currently, i will not be returning to Android, at least not this gen
4) really looking forward to trying FaceID

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
iPhone audio is poor but I can use a nice lightning mic. I’m still looking for a similar USB-C mic like the lightning one I use for my 7 Plus.

I was always happy with the audio on my 6S+. Took some videos at a concert and was impressed with the result. Same with the 7+. I always have a decent compact with me at shows, but like to take a few short videos on my phone. Not sure if I could rely on the Pixel unless further updates improve it.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
A few things
1) I'll hold on to the 8 Plus for a while (I bought after the holiday return period started)
2) I want to do some reasonable comparisons
3) Currently, i will not be returning to Android, at least not this gen
4) really looking forward to trying FaceID

1) I have no desire to use a Plus anymore. It’s just absurdly large for the sake of being large. It’s either suck it up and go with the X or go with Android again.

2) The screen is nice. But I don’t see how it’s nicer than the iPhone 6s Plus I was coming from.

3) The Notch sucks. There’s no two ways about it. You get kind of used to it. But it totally sucks not being able to see your battery percentage, Do Not Disturb, Bluetooth without using Control Center which is in an awful spot now. And it’s awful in landscape.

4) Face ID is cool but I still wish it had Touch ID too. It needs both. It’s still more convenient to have the phone unlocked as soon as it comes out of your pocket. Without having to look at it.

5) iOS 11 is buggy to me. I had to restart my phone the other night to get the camera to work. Completely missed the shot that I needed. That shouldn’t happen on a one thousand dollar phone.

I do like the camera when it works properly. I also like the speed and the battery life. And the phone is the perfect size. So it’s not all lost. I just don’t think it’s the end all be all for phones like it’s made out to be.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
1) I have no desire to use a Plus anymore. It’s just absurdly large for the sake of being large. It’s either suck it up and go with the X or go with Android again.

2) The screen is nice. But I don’t see how it’s nicer than the iPhone 6s Plus I was coming from.

3) The Notch sucks. There’s no two ways about it. You get used to it. But it totally sucks not being able to see your battery percentage, Do Not Disturb, Bluetooth without using Control Center which is in an awful spot now.

4) Face ID is cool but I still wish it had Touch ID too. It needs both. It’s still more convenient to have the phone unlocked as soon as it comes out of your pocket. Without having to look at it.

5) iOS 11 is buggy to me. I had to restart my phone the other night to get the camera to work. Completely missed the shot that I needed. That shouldn’t happen on a one dollar phone.

I do like the camera when it works properly. I also like the speed and the battery life. And the phone is the perfect size. So it’s not all lost. I just don’t think it’s the end all be all for phones like it’s made out to be.
Cool. I'll look out for your observations. Thanks!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The local Apple Store has iPhone X in stock. I am more tempted than I should be.
You should get it......You might end up liking it. For me the biggest issue was the size......The X just didn't have enough to make me want to give up my 8 plus for it.

And...@Wildo6882 observations are spot on too......echos my thoughts.
[doublepost=1511730831][/doublepost]This is one of the first apps i will get on my 2XL tomorrow...What a great idea!
Now Playing History
In the midst of all the Black Friday deals a gem of an app has appeared that Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL users will love. Google’s latest handsets can automatically recognize the song being played in the background and display it on the Always-on-Display (which you can learn how to enable right here). It’s a neat little trick but if you didn’t see the notification before the song changed, it was gone forever. Luckily, there’s now an app, appropriately called Now Playing History that will show a history of all the songs that have been recognized.
http://www.talkandroid.com/322486-n...+AndroidNewsGoogleAndroidForums+(TalkAndroid)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.