Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Haven't noticed anything on mine. At least yet and I haven't taken the ota. Nor have I really been looking for it.

Brightness is about 35% I believe

Damn...

I just noticed it (burn in or retention) while watching a video. :(

I can see where the nav bar is and the circle home icon. It's faint but it's there. So, now where to go from here? I guess just watch it and see what happens.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Well, there are definitely some observations.

• This device is SMALL. Like, really small. I feel like I’m back in the iPhone 6 days. iPhone X is definitely a Pixel 2 competitor, but not an XL.
  • The screen has a really nice look to it. The blue shift is very late to the point where it is basically unnoticeable.
  • FaceID was about as easy as TouchID to set up and works mostly as well. And by mostly, I mean about 75% of the time at first blush. The Pixel 2 with Pixel Imprint is definitely more successful so far, but apparently FaceID needs to continue to learn.
  • A number of key apps still don’t support the large screen size. In that case, the iPhone X is significantly behind the larger screen size of the iPhone Plus series. I expect Google will get their act together, but it’s not a great experience right now. As a result, the Pixel 2 is arguably a better experience from a number of apps.
  • The notch is only annoying when I really look at it.
  • The lack of home button is a pleasure and while I understand why people wouldn’t want it, I don’t mind the bar at the bottom of the screen. This, of course, is much like the android and something I'm cool with.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Well, there are definitely some observations.

• This device is SMALL. Like, really small. I feel like I’m back in the iPhone 6 days. iPhone X is definitely a Pixel 2 competitor, but not an XL.
  • The screen has a really nice look to it. The blue shift is very late to the point where it is basically unnoticeable.
  • FaceID was about as easy as TouchID to set up and works mostly as well. And by mostly, I mean about 75% of the time at first blush. The Pixel 2 with Pixel Imprint is definitely more successful so far, but apparently FaceID needs to continue to learn.
  • A number of key apps still don’t support the large screen size. In that case, the iPhone X is significantly behind the larger screen size of the iPhone Plus series. I expect Google will get their act together, but it’s not a great experience right now. As a result, the Pixel 2 is arguably a better experience from a number of apps.
  • The notch is only annoying when I really look at it.
  • The lack of home button is a pleasure and while I understand why people wouldn’t want it, I don’t mind the bar at the bottom of the screen. This, of course, is much like the android and something I'm cool with.

You're going to love Face ID. Give it time. And make sure notifications are set to "show when unlocked". Touch ID seems so antiquated to me now.

The size was the biggest adjustment for me coming from large phones. I'm definitely looking forward to the Plus model next year.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
main-qimg-f35cb1f60e42ac59766132f956e4f17b-c

It's 3,100+ and counting replies. Only two pages behind the Note8 thread. Proves that smooth software experience matters to many. The great camera, battery life, and fast software updates for up to three years are just gravy. Apple & Google combo instead of Apple & Samsung.

I didn't bite the Verizon offer but I've been contemplating getting a cheap HP Windows 10 laptop. The badly named HP 14-an013nr for $220. I want that 1080p display as my qualm with my MBA is the display. I also want to return to a Pixel which works better with Windows than macOS.

I just came back from Irvine and was ready to buy a used HTC One M9 (gunmetal) for only $100. The guy said it was in excellent condition but it wasn't and I backed out. Too many scuffs and scratches including on the lens. I wanted to replace my $30 Moto E2 which is starting to show its age and lags alot.

The $99 iPhone 6 (Total Wireless/Best Buy) now looks to be a better deal than that M9 but they weren't avail at the BB I went to and I need another Android for GPS. The iPhone 6 also lacks raise to wake and only 1 GB of RAM which isn't enough going forward.

We talked about phones we have owned and he really has fond memories of his Nexus 6 (Shamu). He currently is using an iPhone X which is his first ever iPhone. He likes it but it has its issues and will probably sell it after a few months. It's kinda a culture shock for him coming fron Android how restrictive iOS can be. Him talking about the Nexus 6 made me reflect on the entire line.

Greatest Nexus?
1. 5
2. GNex (for ICS)
3. 6
4. 6P
5. 5X
6. 4
7. One
8. S

Best Nexus/Pixel OEM
1. HTC
2. LG
3. Motorola
4. Samsung
5. Huawei

I'm biased but the Nexus One was my favorite Nexus design.

The Nexus name never died. They are just being called Pixels from now on with only Google branding and higher price but superior cameras and battery life than what the Nexus line ever had.

The Pixel 1 and 2 probably rank #1 and #2 if included with the Nexus phones. They aren't as pretty as their Nexus predecessors or cheaper but they get things done and do them well.

Retrospect of the Nexus line...

DownloadImage.Ashx

Reactions: 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You're going to love Face ID. Give it time. And make sure notifications are set to "show when unlocked". Touch ID seems so antiquated to me now.

The size was the biggest adjustment for me coming from large phones. I'm definitely looking forward to the Plus model next year.
I like it a lot when it works and I expect it to get better.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

My first thought as well in regards to a possible Plus model of the X next year as I’ve loved using larger phones the past few years. That being said, I think navigating around a larger version, trying to reach all the edges for guestures, would be quite a bit more difficult. My thumb never had to reach the very top or bottom edges on any of the previous Plus model iPhones, Nexus 6P or even the Pixel 2 XL.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
1) I have no desire to use a Plus anymore. It’s just absurdly large for the sake of being large. It’s either suck it up and go with the X or go with Android again.

2) The screen is nice. But I don’t see how it’s nicer than the iPhone 6s Plus I was coming from.

3) The Notch sucks. There’s no two ways about it. You get kind of used to it. But it totally sucks not being able to see your battery percentage, Do Not Disturb, Bluetooth without using Control Center which is in an awful spot now. And it’s awful in landscape.

4) Face ID is cool but I still wish it had Touch ID too. It needs both. It’s still more convenient to have the phone unlocked as soon as it comes out of your pocket. Without having to look at it.

5) iOS 11 is buggy to me. I had to restart my phone the other night to get the camera to work. Completely missed the shot that I needed. That shouldn’t happen on a one thousand dollar phone.

I do like the camera when it works properly. I also like the speed and the battery life. And the phone is the perfect size. So it’s not all lost. I just don’t think it’s the end all be all for phones like it’s made out to be.
The notch doesn’t bother me like I thought it would. I’m not too crazy about the line at the bottom of the display that is the guide to swipe back to the home screen. I wish it could be turned off in settings. It’s not needed after the first hour or so of using the phone. It feels very preschool to me to have this “training wheels” stuck on the screen all the time. Talk about potential for burn in!

I never ever had problems going back and forth between any other iPhone and an Android phone. But the X has programmed my brain to want to swipe up all the time. It’s messing me up on my Samsung. :rolleyes: Even so, I like it a lot. Animoji are amusing, when used sparingly.

For my size of hands it is the perfect size for typing. I make so many fewer mistakes typing on this phone than any I have owned. I was having a very hard time on the Pixel 2 despite the X and Pixel 2 being close in size. I did like everything else about its size and form factor. I did not mind the bezels on the Pixel 2

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
My first thought as well in regards to a possible Plus model of the X next year as I’ve loved using larger phones the past few years. That being said, I think navigating around a larger version, trying to reach all the edges for guestures, would be quite a bit more difficult. My thumb never had to reach the very top or bottom edges on any of the previous Plus model iPhones, Nexus 6P or even the Pixel 2 XL.

That’s where Reachability comes in. I’ve been using it even more on the X. Apple redesigned it so when you engage it, the pull down shade and CC are easier to access.

iOS 11 still has some issues but Apple did a fantastic job optimizing the OS to work with this new form factor and gestures.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve never used reachability, not on purpose anyway. I use even an iPhone SE two handed most of the time. :oops:

Lol, right now I’m typing on my 7 Plus. I burn through my X battery fast due to Animal Crossing. I also run it at a higher brightness setting than I do the 7 Plus. So anyway the X is on the Samsung’s charging puck. The Samsung got charged this afternoon. I like my 7 Plus too much to retire it flat out.

I guess I had better bow out of this thread since I don’t have a Pixel 2 anymore and won’t be a candidate for one anytime soon after the expense of the X. I am a bit sad because I really enjoyed the taste of pure Android while I had it. But I barely knew it. :( I’ll keep reading though.

I do wish Pixels were still Nexus’s though. At a Nexus price I could still hope to pick one up in a couple of months. Nexus was cool in a way Pixel has not yet become.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
NexusFamily.png

If latest is really the greatest...

Nexus
1. 6P
2. 5X (808 > 805)
3. 6
4. 5
5. 4
6. Galaxy
7. S
8. One

Galaxy-Nexus-Family-1.jpg

If Pixels were included, the Pixels rank the highest thanks to having better cameras and battery life.

6P was the first and only one to perfect the Nexus brand being the final Nexus flagship, but even its camera wasn't quite as good as the Pixels specifically in low light and Snapdragon 810 wasn't a very good SoC.

Pixel beats 6P in low light. Thanks Krystal Key..err.. I mean Krystal Lora..

If latest is greatest, then Oreo is #1. But since it's still NEW which is like saying the newest film you only saw once is now your new favorite. In time, Oreo will show its greatness.

Android got better by 4.0. They built some of the ideas from the tablet-only, Honeycomb. By KitKat's Project Svelte which actually lived up to it, it became stable and polished.

Lollipop brought Material Design to replace Holo and a host of memory leaks and bugs. Marshmallow first gave us Doze and more refinement. Nougat gave us split-view before Oreo gave us PiP and Project Treble.

1. Svelte (KitKat)
2. Butter (Jelly Bean)
3. Volta (Lollipop/Marshmallow)
4. Treble (Oreo)

Volta (aka Doze) didn't technically arrive until MM but it was worked on since L.

My favorite Android software?
1. Nougat, 7.1.2
2. Marshmallow, 6.0.1
3. Oreo, 8.0
4. KitKat, 4.4.2
5. Lollipop, 5.1
6. Ice Cream Sandwich, 4.0.4
7. Jelly Bean, 4.1.2
8. Gingerbread, 2.3.6

I do keep my G5 with MM since that's the software it came with. What I liked with Nougat is the fact it brought split-view but 7.1 offered double tap to wake and raise to wake for all Pixels.

Nougat vs Oreo, there isn't much differences between them. I updated to Oreo earlier than ones with the unlocked Pixel since mine came from Verizon.

I believe iOS and Android didn't mature until 4.0. Gingerbread was an ugly mess and left me with a bad first impression with Android.

Then it got better every year since KitKat with the exception of Lollipop because it was a new revamp like what iOS7 was. MM, N, and O were incremental updates since.

Can't wait for Android Pie (or Popsicle). It's like warm "Apple" pie. Gotta have Mary Ann's coconut cream pie. ~I want it all day long. I'm addicted like it's wrong~ ;)

s_9f9f07ede13e409f944e3547876709e3.png

^ I'm starting to like walleye more than taimen just like I preferred sailfish over marlin the year before. It's the hand comfort. For real phablet lovers, no marlin or taimen in the last three years has beaten Shamu in sheer size.

zzfortune.jpg

Five years ago inside the headquarters (aka Googleplex) of the best company to work for...

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
im still holding on to my OG pixel XL due to camera and my mobile legends i cant move to iphone X haha... its nice to have pure android experience and iphone X totally different experience. at first i wanted to get pixel 2 small for one hand usage. but BT on pixel is unstable compare to X.. and im attracted to apple watch now....
will keep X as main now. and OG pixel XL as backup and for gaming...

Reactions: 5105973

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Equivalence

iPhone = Nexus One (metal, nearly same thickness and dimensions)

iPhone 3G/3Gs = Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus (plastic)

iPhone 4/4s = Nexus 4 (glass)

iPhone 5/5s = Nexus 5

iPhone 6 / 6 Plus = Pixel / Pixel XL (ugly antenna lines)

iPhone 5c = Nexus 5X? (nah, 5X improved the 5. The 5X is more like a 5s/SE of the Nexus 5.)

iPhone 7 / 7 Plus = Pixel 2 / 2 XL (Bye, headphone port. Added IP rating and dual front speakers.)

Hard to find an iPhone equal to 6P.

iPhone OS 1-3 = Android 1-3 (except Android was still like 5 years behind iOS even if it came 15 months afterwards)

iOS4 = Android 4.0 (ICS)
iOS5 = Android 4.1 (JB)
iOS6 = Android 4.4 (KK)
iOS7 = Android 5.0 (L)
iOS8&9 = Android 6 & 7 (MM & N)
iOS10 = Android 8?
iOS11 = n/a (Oreo isn't that bad)

The #4 is bad luck to Asian markets but not with software. Think of Android from 1-3 as adolescence.

ICS was puberty. JB and KK are juniors and seniors in high school. Lollipop is freshman college. Marshmallow / Nexus 6P (2015) is when it hit adulthood at 21 when you can gamble and buy alcohol.

Expandable storage -
Nexus One

Removable battery -
Nexus One
Nexus S
Galaxy Nexus

Fast charging -
Nexus 6
Pixel / Pixel XL
Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL

5X / 6P charged fast enough.

Wireless charging -
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 6

Headphone port -
Nexus One through Pixels (2016)

MicroUSB -
Nexus One through Nexus 6

USB-C
5X/6P through Pixel 2 / 2 XL

LCD -
Nexus One (some), 3.7"
Nexus 4, 4.7"
Nexus 5, 4.95"
Nexus 5X, 5.2"

OLED -
Nexus S, 4"
Galaxy Nexus, 4.65"
Nexus 6, 5.96"
Nexus 6P, 5.7"
Pixel / Pixel XL, 5"/5.5"
Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, 5"/6"

Dual front speakers -
Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL

IP67 rating -
Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL

RAM -
Nexus One, 512 MB
Nexus S, 512 MB
Galaxy Nexus, 1 GB
Nexus 4, 2 GB
Nexus 5, 2 GB
Nexus 5X, 2 GB
Nexus 6, 3 GB
Nexus 6P, 3 GB
Pixel / Pixel XL, 4 GB
Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, 4 GB

Best value, IMO -
Nexus 5, $299
Nexus 4, $299
Nexus 5X, $379
Galaxy Nexus, $399
Nexus 6P, $499
Nexus S, $529 (had subsidizing)
Nexus One, $529
Nexus 6, $649
Pixel 2, $649
Pixel, $649
Pixel XL, $769
Pixel 2 XL, $849

Cameras that didn't suck -
Nexus 6P
Pixel / Pixel XL
Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL

Displays that didn't suck -
Nexus 6P
Pixel / Pixel XL
Pixel 2

Battery life that didn't suck -
Nexus 6P
Pixel / Pixel XL
Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL

Best design, IMO
1. Nexus One
2. Nexus 6P
3. Pixel 2 XL (panda or black)
4. Nexus 4
5. Galaxy Nexus
6. Nexus 6
7. Nexus S
8. Nexus 5X
9. Pixel 2
10. Pixel / Pixel 2 XL

2018 Pixels? Newer design with taller display but will keep the trademark back and hopefully 6 GB of RAM to match OnePlus and Note8. I think 4 GB RAM should be bare minimum for me.

It's a shame that the Pixel 2 duo could be the last Pixels to not be all-glass on rear. I figure Google will go back to glass rears once wireless charging becomes common. No future Pixel will ever be as rugged as the Nexus One seen above. Mine fell on tile twice and ZERO blemishes.

I want Motorola and Huawei to take another crack at it. Not LG, TCL, and Coolpad. LG are using poor displays. Since Google has some HTC engineers, I don't mind HTC again but change up the design. Prefer the name Nexus over Pixel like I prefer to call it iPhone Eks than Ten.

I don't give enough credit to Huawei's one-time at bat with the Nexus. The 6P is prettier than all the Pixels. It's weakness was it was easy to bend and cameras have improved since. Snapdragon 810 also was pretty bad. Still the last pretty Google metal phone and w/ headphone port.

It's Bender with his eyes closed...
0007944_huawei-nexus-6p-64gb-original-set-by-huawei-malaysia.jpeg

6Premium = Nexus GOAT

196925d1442340030t-authentic-leaks-compilation-5x-6p-benderphone.jpg

Reactions: AustinIllini

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Took a sunset shot last weekend. Amazed that the phone picked up the colors as well as it did.
4f3dd283f345e76e24cdbe22d7859dbf.jpg
The Pixel 2 is crazy good with color most of the time and really excels at shots like that. I had yellow-green cast indoors at times but indoor photos are dicey on most brands anyway.

Is that sand or snow there on the ground?

@KingslayerG5 I think you’re our forum historian. :D

What I admired about the Nexus line was not the product itself but what it represented to the community. The Pixel is so damned expensive and being marketed as an Android Apple phone the developers aren’t reacting to it the same way. If that makes sense. I haven’t had my morning coffee yet. ;)

Let me clarify I LIKE the Pixel line. It’s the product I can use since I’m certainly no developer. But I wish there were still a Nexus phone, too.
[doublepost=1511787642][/doublepost]
That is a great shot! Postcard worthy....
Ack I really need my coffee. I thought I’d said that too but didn’t. I’m waiting for it to cool a little.

Yeah that’s gorgeous!
[doublepost=1511788199][/doublepost]
im still holding on to my OG pixel XL due to camera and my mobile legends i cant move to iphone X haha... its nice to have pure android experience and iphone X totally different experience. at first i wanted to get pixel 2 small for one hand usage. but BT on pixel is unstable compare to X.. and im attracted to apple watch now....
will keep X as main now. and OG pixel XL as backup and for gaming...
At this point in time I don’t know what I’d do if I had to go back to just one phone. I think you’ve got a good idea there.

Reactions: Radon87000

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I feel kind of bad discussing iPhones and such in the Pixel 2 thread.

Would it be appropriate to create an "Android/iOS Fence Sitters" thread for iOS/Android discussion?
Yeah you’re right. I forgot I said I would not post here anymore. I was not all the way awake yet. :rolleyes:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah you’re right. I forgot I said I would not post here anymore. I was not all the way awake yet. :rolleyes:
I prefer this forum for any kind of phone discussion because it's really the only one that allows anything close to a fair comparison. The iPhone forums tend to be extremely divisive (especially this time of year) and flooded with "I bought this but now..." or "I threw my phone into the fireplace and now there's a dead pixel." Needless to say, not great discussion.
[doublepost=1511797117][/doublepost]Created a "general, non-denominational" discussion page where our group of misfits can discuss all phones so as not to flood the Pixel thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...of-misfits-general-discussion-thread.2091362/

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Ok folks. Time for some crazy stuff. I’ve decided the iPhone X isn’t for me. The phone’s great, but iOS just isn’t for me. I’ve grown too accustomed to Android and being able to make the phone whatever I want it to be. So, here’s where I need some input from you fine fellow phone addicts.

Pixel 2 vs Pixel 2 XL vs OnePlus 5t

I’ve owned the Pixel 2 and returned it when I got caught up in the iPhone X hoopla. It was a great device and served my needs well. A bit small, but I went that route because I was just wanting a change after using several larger devices. No complaints here, but before I rebuy I want to consider the alternatives.

Pixel 2 XL is very appealing to me, but I’ve got a few questions for those who own or have used one extensively. First, is the screen really an issue? Do you see burn-in? Has the updated display modes helped? Also, how’s the battery life? I know that’s a subjective one, but have you had very good battery life with it? What’s your personal pros/cons?

OnePlus 5t is the darkhorse. I have had the 5 and really enjoyed it. For me it all comes down to the camera here. Is the 5t a great camera? I don’t need it to be Pixel 2 good, but is it on par with, say the Pixel 1 or the iPhone 7?

Is there a very strong fourth option I should consider? LG V30? HTC U11+?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Pixel 2 XL is very appealing to me, but I’ve got a few questions for those who own or have used one extensively. First, is the screen really an issue? Do you see burn-in? Has the updated display modes helped? Also, how’s the battery life? I know that’s a subjective one, but have you had very good battery life with it? What’s your personal pros/cons?

Screen not an issue for me, I didn't even bother with the new settings after the update. Thought it was was great as it was.

I've been using this one for around 5 days and when I viewed a picture that was light in colour, I could see a faint outline of the nav bar. Not the icons, just the line where the nav bar goes across the screen. This does worry me a little what it might be like after a month or two. Auto hide should really be an option!

Battery life is outstanding. Best I've experienced on a phone.

Pros:
Battery
Camera (front and back)
Great in the hand and love using it
Feels very fluid
Speakers are good

Cons:
Audio in videos picks up strange background noises sometimes

Photos app doesn't like me scrolling through lots of pics (2-3k) in a folder quickly and crashes

Concerns over how burn in might be an issue over time

All in all, fantastic device. Currently weighing this up with the Note 8.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Ok folks. Time for some crazy stuff. I’ve decided the iPhone X isn’t for me. The phone’s great, but iOS just isn’t for me. I’ve grown too accustomed to Android and being able to make the phone whatever I want it to be. So, here’s where I need some input from you fine fellow phone addicts.

Pixel 2 vs Pixel 2 XL vs OnePlus 5t

I’ve owned the Pixel 2 and returned it when I got caught up in the iPhone X hoopla. It was a great device and served my needs well. A bit small, but I went that route because I was just wanting a change after using several larger devices. No complaints here, but before I rebuy I want to consider the alternatives.

OnePlus 5t is the darkhorse. I have had the 5 and really enjoyed it. For me it all comes down to the camera here. Is the 5t a great camera? I don’t need it to be Pixel 2 good, but is it on par with, say the Pixel 1 or the iPhone 7?

Is there a very strong fourth option I should consider? LG V30? HTC U11+?

Don't believe the negative hype on the Pixel XL 2 screen. It was good before, but the new display modes allow you to have the saturated look everyone wants in an OLED. Burn in might be a thing but I'm not sold yet. However, on that point: Google has offered 2 years of warranty. I've dealt with their CS, and it's excellent. I wouldn't worry. Battery has been fantastic. Camera is siiiiiiiiick. (Sorry, didn't mean to get too technical on you! ;)

OP5T is a great bet. My only hesitation with that device would be OnePlus. They are a shady as hell company. Definitely a buyer beware scenario.

If you're looking for stock, the only other game in town would be HTC U11 Unlocked. I'd suggest that model because it comes with 6 gb of RAM. HTC made an incredible phone this year that got lost in the shuffle. I might actually put them a step above OP but OP's customization options are insanely good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.