Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Just one. I got a replacement from Google, but it came in its original box so I cut my losses and sold it.

I don't really see people complain much about screen burn now, so maybe it was affecting the earlier batches more. Although I appreciate you had other issues as well.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I finally saw the Pixel XL up close in Best Buy. The Experience was definitely smooth and responsive.

It must be said, all the feedback about the incredibly dramatic display color shift when the phone is viewed off axis is completely true.

The display turned a deep blue when tilted slightly acting like a OLED display from 2012 rather than a current flagship device.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Not sure if this is the right forum but I wanted to see if someone can help. I am a long term iPhone user who has just purchased a pixel 2 for the camera only. I don’t really know anything about android and need help using google photos. The plan is to auto sync photos from pixel and then download onto iPhone. I know i get free storage with the pixel but can’t see an option to always upload original. Is this because I have the free storage and it does this as a default? A couple of extra questions. When I download a photo onto my iPhone and check the info the file size is a little smaller than the original. Also how do I ensure the original stays on the pixel 2 and finally when I edit a photo taken on the pixel in google photos on the iPhone I can’t see an option to export to the camera roll. I can seem to for a photo editores on the pixel and accessed on the iPhone. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Thought I'd add that while both of the Pixels I've owned had a very noticeable blue tint when first switched on, it's nowhere near as bad now. Never bothered me anyway but now this one has been used for 4 days, it's reduced greatly.

I just wish I could decide between this and the Note. Both great devices really struggling to make my mind up!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not sure if this is the right forum but I wanted to see if someone can help. I am a long term iPhone user who has just purchased a pixel 2 for the camera only. I don’t really know anything about android and need help using google photos. The plan is to auto sync photos from pixel and then download onto iPhone. I know i get free storage with the pixel but can’t see an option to always upload original. Is this because I have the free storage and it does this as a default? A couple of extra questions. When I download a photo onto my iPhone and check the info the file size is a little smaller than the original. Also how do I ensure the original stays on the pixel 2 and finally when I edit a photo taken on the pixel in google photos on the iPhone I can’t see an option to export to the camera roll. I can seem to for a photo editores on the pixel and accessed on the iPhone. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
When you open up the Google photos app, at the top left corner up near where you’d enter a url on a browser there are three parallel lines. Click on them and then on the upper right hand side of the display up where it says Google Photos there will be a gear shaped icon. (Sorry, on my Samsung it’s on the left side—either way look for the Gear shaped icon) Click on that. That will take you to a settings page where you will see the option to Back Up and Sync. Click on that. That will take you to your storage options under Upload Size. Definitely choose Original. That’s the full quality original. High Quality sounds great but is NOT the option you’re looking for.

I’m not sure how to answer your other questions. I don’t have a Pixel anymore. The instructions I had above were how I do things on an iPhone. Samsung/Android looks a little different.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Ok thanks. So it says I have original quality back up and there is no other option so I guess it is that by default on a pixel. Now just the other questions so if anyone can help let me know.
[doublepost=1511635915][/doublepost]Actually I just tried again and I can’t seem to save photos in the google photos app on iPhone to canera roll. Any thoughts?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Ok thanks. So it says I have original quality back up and there is no other option so I guess it is that by default on a pixel. Now just the other questions so if anyone can help let me know.
[doublepost=1511635915][/doublepost]Actually I just tried again and I can’t seem to save photos in the google photos app on iPhone to canera roll. Any thoughts?

If you select a picture while in the app on your iPhone, press the 3 dots in the top right corner. You can select "download" which will save to your camera roll. Just done it on my iPad with pics taken on the Pixel.

Have no idea how to save multiples as I only saw the option to archive when selecting lots.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Actually, select all the photos you want and press the + at the top of the screen. Then save to camera roll.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Anybody have any watch recommendations to pair with this phone? I'm used to an Apple watch that I used for running, cycling, elliptical and heart rate monitoring plus the usual notifications for text/calls.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Anybody have any watch recommendations to pair with this phone? I'm used to an Apple watch that I used for running, cycling, elliptical and heart rate monitoring plus the usual notifications for text/calls.

One of the Samsung ones would be fine, but honestly Apple Watch is one of the reasons I can't switch to Android. Works so seamlessly.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just dropping by on my new iPhone X. It’s nice. It was supposed to be a Christmas present but hubby sprang it on me early so I could use it at some holiday events that happen before Christmas.

I haven’t gotten to use it much, yet. It’s got a nice display. It doesn’t have blue shift. My husband’s does. But it does have a hint of pink along the extreme edges. Not as bad as my S8+ had it. And since it’s a flat display the pink doesn’t bother me much. I’d count it as a flawless display. But there’s this weird ugly black blot at the top. ;):p

It is silver. So I sort of have a Panda look.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Just dropping by on my new iPhone X. It’s nice. It was supposed to be a Christmas present but hubby sprang it on me early so I could use it at some holiday events that happen before Christmas.

I haven’t gotten to use it much, yet. It’s got a nice display. It doesn’t have blue shift. My husband’s does. But it does have a hint of pink along the extreme edges. Not as bad as my S8+ had it. And since it’s a flat display the pink doesn’t bother me much. I’d count it as a flawless display. But there’s this weird ugly black blot at the top. ;):p

It is silver. So I sort of have a Panda look.

I think my 2018 fone is iphone X also...
But im not selling my OG pixel XL...
I still prefer its camera....
im just crazy with the apple watch and airpods so i tried X my last iphone was the ip6...
anyway iphone X is from hubby too hahahah....

Reactions: 5105973

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
One of the Samsung ones would be fine, but honestly Apple Watch is one of the reasons I can't switch to Android. Works so seamlessly.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if you needed a Samsung phone for the Samsung watches to have full compatibility. For me the difficulty with switching is iMessage and Apple Watch, but I am trying! I prefer the notifications in Android a lot more, the UI can be setup to look much cleaner thanks to the app drawer, plus this phone is really fast. But messaging and the watch is leading me to a lot of second guessing.

Reactions: nospleen

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Faux panda :p
The camera bump looks sort of like the mask over a panda eye. Oh man does the camera bump stick out too much. :confused:

It’s sort of a slippery phone, too. Hubby did buy Apple Care for mine because I had yelled at him for not getting Apple Care for his. He is going to buy Apple Care soon though.

Anyway I saw an OtterBox Defender on sale for $20 on Amazon so I ordered it.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Anyone else kind of worried about breaking the back glass on this thing? It's almost a caseless device but every time I set the thing down I cringe a little. It seems very fragile to me :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.